Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

I agree with pretty much all of the above

i've been playing this a bit on my downtime and it's definitely a great game

for reference i've completed a run in every mode on every difficulty EXCEPT unfair, and in cursed mode my high score is 48 with 10 curses

unfair difficulty: actually unfair. the curses are so hard that my early game strategy was "get on my knees and pray to RNjesus" which failed repeatedly until i gave up

cursed mode: fun poo poo UNTIL you reach the end of a loop. getting thrown back to starter classes AND removing every item AND keeping every curse makes the early game pretty much the same as unfair, which is to say unfair. the blessings you get for completing a loop aren't good enough to balance this

make cursed mode blessings better or at least let me keep some of my items (maybe let me pick 3-5 items I want to keep?)

for long term replayability it would be nice to have some kind of meta currency you get for completing loops that could be spent on things to spice up the increasingly monotonous early game

Raine fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Tann posted:

This is on purpose, I want curse mode to get harder over time.

i totally get that, what i guess i was trying to say is that the difficulty spike going from the end of the loop to losing every item and upgraded characters is dramatic and brutal if you get bad rolls

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

wizard - left slot reroll 1

pocket mirror - copy left side to right side

manure - add growth to right side

edit: i just played another loop and im p sure everything i said here is wrong. maybe it was autumn leaf and the time mage? idk i went infinite with rerolls somehow

Raine fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 28, 2021

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Big Sean posted:

Is it possible to fill out level 13+ items in the almanac? I got 12 and down with blursed and treasure hunter / shiny. Loot mode looks like it might not allow those blessings though, which makes it much harder to get 13/14. I think 14 and 20 would be impossible, unless there is some other mechanic to get them? Forging doesn't give the almanac entry (Or it didn't the one time I forged a 13).

i've gotten two level 13 items from anvil and can confirm that they don't appear in the almanac afterwards

the items were pretty broken and fun though, one of them was "Illegal" which replaced the two left sides with 2 reroll and cleave reuse, and the other was "Ethereal Shroud" which replaced all sides with cloak

I also randomly got a level 50 item called "Bug" which didn't actually do anything (lol)

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

speaking of rare stuff, I was rerolling blursed runs to find cool perma items and this popped up:

i got the 3 spell limit curse after the first boss but it was fun before that

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Inceltown posted:

Ego is a dud because runs also end up with you getting selfless and thus unable to use it.

true, as well as that awful "add cruel to burst" blessing

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

i finally beat brutal with a 4 blue 1 red team

now for the dreaded classic unfair 2 streak

also, I wish there was some Fun Mode or maybe some unlock for getting all achievements that lets you really break the game. possibly infinite restarts for an unranked mode like blursed. let me go nuts basically

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

i've been addicted to custom heaven runs with all orange teams. hit 100 wins yesterday and can't stop. getting infinite rerolls and murdering everything with cantrip sides has just been pure catharsis (juggler is the best character in the game)

Kuros posted:

I've been enjoying Generate Heaven runs to see what kind of broken poo poo I can get.

going to try this though

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Half of Dracula posted:

Thorns is waiting for you

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

dirby posted:

I have to unlock Heaven first. :negative:

custom 4x blue 1x red is what got me through a brutal run

use all cultists for your blues so that you can technically beat thorns when they show up

also for hexia there are countless ways to beat her easily. self-shield/heal, deathless, ranged, cantrip dodge side, shield on spell-cast, heal on spell cast, witch heal, poison, cleanse, inflict pain/single-use, and probably a ton of other item combos

a specific and hilarious way to kill hexia is to have a character with cleave insta-kill (sharpshooter with pendulum and giant's trident for example). insta-kill a small imp next to her and it will cleave kill her as well regardless of her HP

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

MrQueasy posted:

This changes ev… well at least it makes me want to play a bunch more.

I feel like I’ve hit an imagination wall where I can’t see a way to get hard done more consistently.

Anyone got anything to shake up my play? Watching Jorbs explain his (monstrously simple yet FAST ev calculations) choices in StS really helped open my eyes to traps and synergies I hadn’t even known to look for.

i got a lot better just playing heaven a bunch after some frustrating blursed runs

it's relaxing and you get to play around with more items/keywords. you'll start to recognize synergies and utility for questionable items or situations in an environment where you can take risks and try stuff that would otherwise be run-ending in other difficulties

the problem of course is the difficulty of unlocking heaven in the first place, but you can always unlock it in the options menu and revert unlocks later (there is no penalty for reverting and it will save your stats for when you unlock it legit)

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

the best level 0 is obviously Extra Pocket

i was so excited when i first got that

tbh though it's actually useful if you get a mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Lemony posted:

I am an idiot for thinking this was a good idea to attempt. Observe, my folly:

Zero damage, zero kills, total pacifist run.

Fortunately, I discovered that summoned enemies who are sitting in the reinforcement queue do not count towards the total HP value needed to cause the enemy to flee. It took a surprisingly small number of attempts. I nearly lost it a couple of times on this run and wasn't sure I would be able to make it due to almost all my item choices being trash for what I was doing.

i would have kept restarting until a Friendship Bracelet dropped (for those unaware: tier 2 item that makes it so enemies flee at 5x hp instead of the default 10x)

this must have been painful