Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i think in the next version, hexia will do damage whenever you spend any mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

imo the rare times you get an absolutely broken combo running is a well-deserved treat, to make up for all the other times you wipe out on cursed:12 or whatever

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

I can't wait to get my hands on this new version, it sounds very juicy. In the meantime, I just put Fertiliser and Dragon Egg on a Sorcerer and had infinite rerolls and mana in turn 2 vs the final boss which was hilarious.

i love the rare games where everything goes your way and you get some ridiculous combo like that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

quote:

No more dragon egg sorcerer, you'll have to work harder than that for an infinite (I hope!)

😭 that was such a rare treat anyway

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

oh god i don't even understand how to choose a curse for hard mode

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

distortion park posted:

Really enjoying the game. Doesn't feel like it has quite the depth or flexibility of StS or Into the Breach, but those are basically perfect games so can't hold it against it. Maybe when I get better I'll notice more combo opportunities etc

i think i actually like s&d more than ItB. i have both on my phone, but it somehow feels easier to pop open and play a bit. less emotionally/mentally taxing, somehow, but scratching the same itch

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

Busted combos are hilarious, I just kept rolling until I had enough mana to just kill everything.

strange looking sorcerer you've got here

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

psa: if you're playing cursed (or blursed), you might be offered an item choice of "a level X or a level X item". one of the Xs will be purple. this is not a bug, as i'd assumed - rather, the chance is between a level X item and a cursed level X item. be aware, as this is very unpleasant to find out the hard way

hexia really shuts down my blow-off-steam team of all blue on easy/medium. is there anything you can do vs hexia with this combo?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Arzaac posted:

I find that as an all blue team, you probably want to prioritize picking up some items that grant you attacks/healing/shields, just to cover your bases. Also, I think if your hero in the bottom slot has a dodge side that'll stop the damage.

If all else fails, 3 blazes from a Warlock will take out Hexia and only kill one of your heroes. :v:

the problem i find with items is that you can't build your blues into a non-mana team unless you get very lucky. since mana is both your offense and defense, you're so limited in what you can actually do without damaging your bottom hero

warlock is a good idea though

Half of Dracula posted:

Longbow is so good for an early relic, ranged 2 damage on top and bottom can patch up a lot of blank or weak sides

longbow is real good. i find shortsword also fills a similar (but less good) niche

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Well, RIP my 40 turn run

yeah, as soon as you run into a summoner you can't merc immediately it's over. i'm still struggling away at that one. my pb is 46 which gave me the sub-50 turn run secret achievement too, which was a nice consolation prize

redleader fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 10, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i think i hate hydra even more than i hate caw

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Arzaac posted:

Genuinely I think Eccentric is pretty great, it's usually 4 damage which is pretty on par with other warriors, and all their sides being on the right is a huge boon. So many good items are built around the assumption that your left sides are your good sides, and so end up being way better on Eccentric.

(Ghast absolutely sucks though, doesn't even have a good spell to make up for those crappy faces)

i had a great combo with eccentric and some blue. eccentric had right side x3 and +1 all sides. the blue had an item for both right sides = 2 mana, and an item to copy the pips of the last used dice. so eccentric would hit two enemies for 15 damage (almost always killing them instantly), and the subsequent 15 mana from the blue went a long way to mopping up any leftovers

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Tann posted:

More weird generated stuff, automatic level variations of existing classes.

this would make a great alternative to random imo

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Einander posted:

one of the three Grays good at doing Gray things (Valkyrie, Stalwart, Poet)

poet? really? what am i missing?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i prefer to live life in the moment, only playing for the current turn. the future is unknowable

there's probably an unrelated reason that i haven't yet gotten a streak in hard

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

Always Pick Eccentric feels like a winning move. I don't necessarily always do it, but by and large, I am pretty convinced they're the king of the Yellows. That fork being on the right is an absolutely filthy piece of tech.

eccentric with the item that gives Right x 3 :getin:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i'm very bad, but i found twins to be way more item-dependent than basically every other hero

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

wondering if i should reset my save... how do you do that on phones?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

man, Fate is a crappy t3 red

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

monster regen 2 (monsters with <10hp get 2 regen) is really easy to deal with!

until you get caws with some tanks, and don't have ranged or attacks that can do 7 damage in a shot. then it's a run-ender

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

bash with pillow (x2 if not used last turn) and iron heart (+1 and exert to all sides) makes his 7 damage exert left side way more exciting. 16 damage, for a low tradeoff of all other sides being exerts

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Einwand posted:

I feel like patient is pretty bad, partly because the items that give them don't give it to enough spots, and party because it's the opposite issue of exert/single use where you get the value later but you always want as much value immediately as you can get to get fights down to a manageable incoming damage amount.

yeah, but consider: big number gives my brain the good chemicals

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i love taking the "tiny enemies +2 all sides" curse, because i think it's no big deal until i run into a bunch of gravestones. i have never not been surprised to re-realize this

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

and there ends my most successful blursed run, by far

might have been able to pull it off if they hadn't killed valkyrie first, then stuck my other 4 with inflict-exhaust

level 132, 20 curses, 7 blessings

observations:
- oh my god, cyclops spirit (every enemy gets stunned at half health) is so good! it covers a multitude of sins and is probably the reason i did so well
- heroes immune to poison and all damage sides are ranged are really nice qol improvements. the ranged sides + cyclops spirit meant that taking archer bonuses was basically a freebie
- agent's quad use side with growth is very funny on the crystal boss
- valkyrie with add rescue to the top/bottom sides (prevent death) made for the easiest hexia fight i've ever had
- barbarian with the immune to damage in your turn and charged hammer was great. huge damage, no downside
- sorcerer with the -1/era to all sides was interesting. useless on turn 1, but by turn 4 they're generating like 30 mana a turn
- in general, items are mostly gimmicky, but getting one that makes a build is a great feeling
- "you can only store 1 mana" curse is surprisingly irritating when you don't have good mana gen

redleader fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 20, 2024

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i hate guardian so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Tunicate posted:

until you hit cantrip+groupdeath