Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
When's the last time the Steelers and Patriots both missed the playoffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Looks like 2000, when the Patriots were trash and the Steelers just missed at 9-7.

Also man the NFC playoffs look comically brutal. Like what's the point of fighting for spots 6-7? At least in the AFC everyone's pretty broken.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We may get a 7-10 team with a 7 seed in the NFC.

Bonus points if it's an NFC East team.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

really queer Christmas posted:

They also play the saints on Thanksgiving in nola. The bills should be favored but that's still a thursday night game that I wouldn't say is a gimme.
I honestly forgot they have a winning record.
Jameis best feed Hyde and Poyer!
Real talk: the Bills will probably lose a random game to a cupcake. Most likely the Pats: they almost beat us in Buffalo last year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mega64 posted:

We may get a 7-10 team with a 7 seed in the NFC.

Bonus points if it's an NFC East team.

Playoff expansion was a huge mistake.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Playoff expansion was a huge mistake.

On one hand sure, on the other hand, oh come on, put the Falcons in the playoffs, that'd be really funny.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kalli posted:

Also loving RIP the NFC wild card teams jesus christ

Hey the five seed in the NFC is a pretty okay football team in my own personal opinion.

The fun part about the NFC is all the top teams but the Bucs still have games against each other

Packers @ Cardinals This Thursday
Rams @ Packers Week 12
Rams @ Cardinals Week 14
Cardinals @ Cowboys Week 17

The Bucs probably have the best chance at the one seed because schedule-wise they are setup to run the table. Their hardest games remaining are Saints twice and the Bills

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1452441629021847557

He had a few others that also just clanged off 49ers last night. Dude looked like.... well like 2021 Jimmy G last night.

That actually wasn't an INT, so Wentz is actually still good. :smug:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

some rando off the practice squad is about to have the game of his life

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

On one hand sure, on the other hand, oh come on, put the Falcons in the playoffs, that'd be really funny.

All the changes really made it easier for the #1 seed in each conference to make it to the Super Bowl. Lame.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Whoa, had no idea he was still bouncing around.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1452747755244359680?s=20

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

Current playoff standings that I looked at because hell yeah Bengals #1

NFC:
1 Cardinals 7-0
2 Buccaneers 6-1
3 Packers 6-1
4 Cowboys 5-1
-----
5 Rams 6-1
6 Saints 3-2
7 Vikings 3-3 (conference tiebreaker over Falcons)
-----
8 Falcons 3-3
9 Bears 3-4
10 Panthers 3-4
11 Seahawks 2-4
12 49ers 2-4
13 Football Team 2-5
14 Eagles 2-5
15 Giants 2-5
16 Lions 0-7

lol the NFC is such trash outside of exactly 5 teams

All the changes really made it easier for the #1 seed in each conference to make it to the Super Bowl. Lame.

Agreed I don't like it. It was already easy as gently caress for the 1 seed and they made it even worse.

Personally I think it should be a seeded tournament just like the NBA or MLB. No byes for anyone but the 1 seed plays the 8 seed, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5. Then the winners play each other again based on original seed, and then the championship game happens for that conference with the two winners from those games.

Another cool idea (although not really workable) would be a round robin tournament where everyone plays everyone and points based on wins gets you to the super bowl. But that would be too many games

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They should just go ahead and add an 8th playoff team per conference honestly. Right now it'd be Bengals - Steelers and Falcons - Cardinals!

Those would be funny games!

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

a neat cape posted:

We don't talk about those

is your special teams coach also your team doctor also someone the spanos have severely wronged and has sworn revenge on your team

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

They should just go ahead and add an 8th playoff team per conference honestly. Right now it'd be Bengals - Steelers and Falcons - Cardinals!

Those would be funny games!

oh right yeah I forgot to mention that is step 1 of my idea, there has to be an even number of teams whether that is 6 or 8. preferably 8

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The “hire a guy who knows Sean McVay” strategy working out pretty well this year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1452756720317607938?t=OUpstE7muag9Dge9exArvA&s=19

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Poor Joe Flacco just got away from there. :(

I'm more than okay with this though as its one step closer to Minshew Mania! :hellyeah:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jets finally got themselves an Elite QB.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Howie collecting assets

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doesn't matter in the slightest who plays QB for the Jets. Just reach into a bag of random QB names. Flacco? Sure why not

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Nathan Peterman can be had for cheap

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wentz threw arguably the worst interception I've ever seen last night.

Don't worry they declared it a fumble

(It was so bad I literally burst out laughing)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
For playoff reformat ideas, I recently was talking to someone about this and they suggested something like a divisional championship round. THEN a wildcard round made up of the 4 divisional championship winners and then 2-4 wildcard teams drawn from both the division losers and the rest of the conference. This week would replace the 17th game.

I kinda like the idea, because it starts the post season with division rivals playing in a meaningful game. It also has 8 changes for some fun like a 14-2 monster getting knocked off by their 7-9 division rival. It's almost more meaningful than just adding a random extra game like they did.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

wilderthanmild posted:

For playoff reformat ideas, I recently was talking to someone about this and they suggested something like a divisional championship round. THEN a wildcard round made up of the 4 divisional championship winners and then 2-4 wildcard teams drawn from both the division losers and the rest of the conference. This week would replace the 17th game.

I kinda like the idea, because it starts the post season with division rivals playing in a meaningful game. It also has 8 changes for some fun like a 14-2 monster getting knocked off by their 7-9 division rival. It's almost more meaningful than just adding a random extra game like they did.

This is an awful idea.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Just do 6 teams with two byes or eight teams with no byes.

It's not hard

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Just do 6 teams with two byes or eight teams with no byes.

It's not hard

8 teams with no byes would be optimal in my mind. seeding already makes sure that the top seeds have an advantage since they get to play the supposed worse teams in the lowest seeds

System now is way too favorable to the 1 seed, it makes surprising results and upsets less likely which isn't what any fan of the game should want

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Cut the season to 12 games. Everyone makes the playoffs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have zero issue with trash teams making the playoffs. Don't wanna play a trash team and potentially get embarrassed on national TV? Win your division then!

Nov 6, 2002

Flacco should just retire.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Well he might get involuntarily retired by the Jets OL

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I kinda want him to have a Vinny year out of nowhere.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Award byes based on the winner of the division with the best record.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wtf

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Flacco should just retire to the elite wing of the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Jets coaching staff just picked up Flacco because they know that Belichiek is just too good against rookie QBs. They won't be caught unawares by that again this season! *taps head*

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you're telling me i have to fight joe flacco a week after fighting the ravens? this is the scariest hallow ween ever

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If I just got paid I’d treat myself to a trip to the McDonalds drive thru too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
wait they expanded the playoffs? wtf, i didnt watch football for 2.5 years and now there's an extended season, expanded playoffs, and like a dozen new young qbs