Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

i did catch the free unpaid yt stream last night and they did show the last game part on it, they kinda talked about some stuff but i dont recall anything juicy and more just kinda doing a few more tankard questions. though, maybe they stop doing that part going forward and it was more a happy accident this time?

honestly its ok for me, i am also all for them doing what they need to do and also i pretty much never watch the end game section anyways even though i think i enjoy 4-sided dive more than the actual show sometimes (kinda - its just a lot easier to manage a short monthly show vs the 12 hours or whatever of monthly game time)

i know it had the douche but bring back game ranch instead for the game thing imo

e: or mame drop

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Abroham Lincoln posted:

They used to do Talks Machina After Dark as an exclusive thing when they were on Geek and Sundry, as well. Guess it's a similar idea.

Can't say I'm stoked about missing out on the game segments unless I'm subscribed, but it's a much more palatable thing to be supporting them directly. Probably cheaper than G&S's old premium thing too.

The game segment got posted separately just now.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I miss the Beyond plug-in thing they had, when it would track conditions and HP and all that. I think it got dropped when they had to go to prerecord for COVID, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if it was out of their hands and removed on the D&D Beyond side of things.

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 7, 2024

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Antitonic posted:

I miss the Beyond plug-in thing they had, when it would track conditions and HP and all that. I think it got dropped when they had to go to prerecord for COVID, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if it was out of their hands and removed on the D&D Beyond side of things.

the dndb twitch overlay plugin was busted forever and it might still be for all I know

fake edit; best I can tell, this was the last time they said anything about it, over two years ago: https://www.dndbeyond.com/old-changelog/1156-twitch-extension-status

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The game segment got posted separately just now.

Well that's nice. I dunno what they're doing, but it is nice! :v:

Antitonic posted:

Yeah, I doubt there's any way for it to work as a Twitch extension with prerecorded episodes, since it's just fetching live data. They could maybe add something to the video feed for it? But just as well I think it's kind of fun not knowing when someone's on death's door or not.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Antitonic posted:

Twitch is slowly killing extensions.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Ojjeorago posted:

Twitch is slowly killing extensions.

Honestly, Twitch is slowly killing Twitch.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm honestly surprised they haven't just moved to their own platform by now, but knowing they're developing their own system and the next season will probably be on Daggerheart makes business sense to keep viewership as accessible as possible (especially when each episode begins with a huge sponsorship ad and 5 minutes of new merch drops).

I was like 4 eps behind but caught up on everything over the last week and a half, and the most recent eps have been pretty good after a solid lull in story/action/interest.

Be damned if my aging, addled mind isn't more excited about Dimension 20's tight-edited 2 hour episodes over CR's 4 hour realplay as time goes on, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Antitonic posted:

It was slow to update and didn't really work. I'm just grateful that they post the HP on their character sheets, because for some bizarre reason, Dimension 20's character sheets shown in their videos have everything except HP, which is slightly annoying.

Pleads posted:

I'm honestly surprised they haven't just moved to their own platform by now, but knowing they're developing their own system and the next season will probably be on Daggerheart makes business sense to keep viewership as accessible as possible (especially when each episode begins with a huge sponsorship ad and 5 minutes of new merch drops).

I was like 4 eps behind but caught up on everything over the last week and a half, and the most recent eps have been pretty good after a solid lull in story/action/interest.

Be damned if my aging, addled mind isn't more excited about Dimension 20's tight-edited 2 hour episodes over CR's 4 hour realplay as time goes on, though.

I do enjoy the tightly-paced D20 episodes - even if some of the series are hit-or-miss, and CR can due to the liveplay nature end up feeling repetitive and wheel-spinny, but I still do enjoy the more freeform, less on-rails approach CR has. They're both different approaches to storytelling, and I think they're both good and valid.

Due to the elaborate, completely custom maps and setpieces, D20 also tends to run on the 1 combat/long rest method, which means players and especially casters can freely dump all their spells without needing to hold anything back. Actual attrition only really comes into play in season finales.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 8, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Pleads posted:

Yeah this I agree on, been watching a bunch of d20 lately and really liking the format and like 10-20 ep campaigns

Also Brennan is a treasure

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The only times I've fallen behind with CR was to rewatch Brennan DM Calamity and Emily Axford's character during the party split in CR.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah these days I tend to catch up by putting the videos on 1.5 speed a few weeks after they air.

Means I'm a bit behind on the big reveals but whatever I'm not in it for that. I ain't got the time or attention span to watch the streams on Thursdays.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Episode 87!
More weird aliens!
Puppet telepathy tricks!

Ruidus is great, they should never leave.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Thordain posted:

Episode 87!
More weird aliens!
Puppet telepathy tricks!

Ruidus is great, they should never leave.

If nothing else there should be an ExU campaign set here

EDIT: GUNS ON THE MOON

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I desperately want Sam's Horse Ladder shirt.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1767294506397819333

Daggerheart One Shot tomorrow at 7 Pacific. Will be interesting to see the system that CR is likely to move toward more fully!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well done to the team for infiltrating the city relatively smoothly. Although some people are natural improvisers, and some people naturally panic and flail when asked to improvise. They party is getting quite good at clearing up their own crimes scenes I suspect that the movement the party hears is more likely to be Volition than Imperium.

It occurs to me that the transplanetary portal they found ends up in a really convenient place on Exandria for say, new settlers to arrive. It's seemingly the middle of nowhere - flying into the sky showed no nearby village lights - so no immediate population to displace on an already scarcely-populated continent (as far as we're aware), there's fresh water, woods, and even temporary shelter with the abandoned village in place.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1767294506397819333

Daggerheart One Shot tomorrow at 7 Pacific. Will be interesting to see the system that CR is likely to move toward more fully!

Materials and other videos are live, for anyone interested!

https://www.daggerheart.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYVrzqTPHRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbNsxHuX1FE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvX_IVul9HE

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 12, 2024

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
If you didn't catch the Session Zero, Travis is the ball from Phantasm

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

No sirens for this one, but they're actually live playing Daggerheart!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TV IV > Critical Role Campaign 3: If I'm a fecker, does that mean I feck?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Bunnie is gonna get some real "interesting" thirsty fan art

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Bunnie is gonna get some real "interesting" thirsty fan art

With how Marisha's acting, that may have been the point :stonklol:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

actually pretty positive on daggerheart after watching that

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I hope they do more of it, just so I can see these awesome characters again

I think them being live for the first time in ages was really cool too. (Sam's parting comment at the very end killed me rofl)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A new low (Critical success) for Sam :stonk:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Laura is having a bad night ooops

edit: we're in Dune now

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 15, 2024

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

queeb posted:

actually pretty positive on daggerheart after watching that

I mean, I was pretty positive on candela obscura by the videos until I got the book for that too, to be fair. What a weirdly written book that was.

Here's hoping Daggerheart is better in that regard.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
What was up with the Candela book?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my mom asked me to learn daggerheart so she could play it u_u

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Flakey posted:

What was up with the Candela book?

Lots of tonal whiplash. It's laid out weirdly. It feels mechanically incomplete. It reads strangely preachy on what it considers good and bad almost to what I would consider to be "Wokescoldy" for as much as I loving hate that term.

Largely it just feels like it would of been better off as a campaign setting for Blades In The Dark, which it seems Extremely Similar to mechanically but just kind of worse in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFfZyod4KM

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

My only question is there some sort of passive fear generation in Daggerheart? Because from what it looks like encounters are entirely driven by player actions, which is not intrinsically a bad thing, but if the players don't take any actions then the villains are going to have a hard time doing anything menacing. There needs to be some sort of consequence for not engaging, so that players will be disinclined to just ignore the enemy that can't hurt them unless they do a roll. This can be done narratively, but that puts a whole lot of pressure on the GM that in other systems would be taken care of by the fact that the enemy has a guaranteed turn.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That was a good episode of CR, some very good decisions and quick thinking under pressure. I guess that Laudna switched out of her Misty Visions Eldritch Invocation. (Cast Silent Image at will) because that was how I would have handled that (and I would likely have been wrong because the slithers don't use eyes to see).

I only read the Candela quick start guide and watched the first episode of the first group of Candela Obscura, but just from that alone, I didn't like the mechanics. It's a game about confronting supernatural threats which has absolutely no combat mechanics or any objective way to handle damage (Example, see the very first episode, where a character took some damage from failing to investigate an artifact).

That means it's essentially a test of how well can you read the GM's mind about their intended way to resolve the situation. Great, if you have a highly skilled GM and high level of trust between the players and GM... but looking at all the stories of bad times from the Game Experiences thread shows how things can go quite wrong without that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That was a good episode of CR, some very good decisions and quick thinking under pressure. I guess that Laudna switched out of her Misty Visions Eldritch Invocation. (Cast Silent Image at will) because that was how I would have handled that (and I would likely have been wrong because the slithers don't use eyes to see).

I only read the Candela quick start guide and watched the first episode of the first group of Candela Obscura, but just from that alone, I didn't like the mechanics. It's a game about confronting supernatural threats which has absolutely no combat mechanics or any objective way to handle damage (Example, see the very first episode, where a character took some damage from failing to investigate an artifact).

That means it's essentially a test of how well can you read the GM's mind about their intended way to resolve the situation. Great, if you have a highly skilled GM and high level of trust between the players and GM... but looking at all the stories of bad times from the Game Experiences thread shows how things can go quite wrong without that.

For what it's worth, if you're good not thinking too hard about the mechanics of the system, the second run of Candela Obscura is probably some of the best acting and roleplaying I've seen. Everyone in that second season nails it out of the park. It absolutely stands on it's own regardless of the quality of the game system it uses.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EucMAc64oM

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 20, 2024

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

:frogsiren: Campaign 3 Episode 89 is here! I remembered to post the sirens! I'm still far behind! Help! :frogsiren:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Incredible to see two masters of their craft at work.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Sam finding the exact point to apply pressure to troll his friends :allears:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Patrick Warburton NPC!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Thordain posted:

Patrick Warburton NPC!

oh yeah it's all coming together :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Thordain posted:

Patrick Warburton NPC!

Haven't watched a live episode in months, tuned in just for this. Worth it.