Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i like the changebringer gifting her cleric with perfect cinematic coin flip sounds lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Party splits! Ira is back and blowing stuff up! Patrick Warburton! The moon is good and they should never leave.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
For once, Sam stops himself from going too far

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

They’re sitting in different places and it’s weird.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
oooh split party and new seats?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Caught up on last week's episode: really good! I appreciate how Ashton keeps surviving things they should not survive.

They should mess with the table positions more often since it seemed to give everyone a little juice.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A solid, tense episode. Hilariously, Team Demolition did the most infiltration-oriented things, while Team Infiltration had the most combat.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Holy poo poo Taliesin

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Thordain posted:

Holy poo poo Taliesin

GIANT MOUSE :catstare:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Matt is not loving playing lmao holy poo poo

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
JESUS CHRIST, Otohan is terrifying.

I guess Matt just really wanted to cut down a PC.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Yeah this sure seems bad

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think going for the revive is a mistake, since she for sure has the anti-revive toxin that she's probably hitting everyone with.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, honestly, revive seems like a bad call - Chet won't be able to continue to fight if he gets revivified! He'll just go down again!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah, honestly, revive seems like a bad call - Chet won't be able to continue to fight if he gets revivified! He'll just go down again!

he hits just as hard at one hp and can absorb 3 of her attacks per round, if otohan only downs him with one hit, FCG can just bring him back up with a healing word bonus action. DnD action economy is key here.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Wuh-oh, phase 2

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I know now why you cry. :qq:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Holy poo poo

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Sam Riegel you motherfucker

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That was an amazing episode

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
hosed up that I have to try and sleep now, what an ending though.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sam really just did an absolutely heroic moment. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when he used that guiding bolt.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
That was both incredible and unequivocally (once Mercer allowed it, because of course any GM worth his salt would allow it; I wouldn't even have made him roll) the right play. FCG was dead in a round anyways. Everyone in the party was probably dead in two or three, tops. Masterful MVP moment.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 12, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jetrauben posted:

Everyone in the party was probably dead in two or three, tops. Masterful MVP moment.

I thought Matt was going to do a TPK until the murderbot sacrifice. Sam just *wrecked* the table with he emotion of it as well. For me that was the best episode from anything since Calamity Ep 4 even before the sacrifice play, that really felt like campaign over

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jetrauben posted:

That was both incredible and unequivocally (once Mercer allowed it, because of course any GM worth his salt would allow it; I wouldn't even have made him roll) the right play. FCG was dead in a round anyways. Everyone in the party was probably dead in two or three, tops. Masterful MVP moment.

Yeah my guess is either the damage went completely through or narratively he just chucked that poo poo. Because as you say, any real DM would accept such an iconic and heroic moment. I don't think C3 has been fantastic but that certainly was one for the history books.

Another great thing is Sam might have saved Liam's character from Nana Morri.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol giving that NPC, of all NPCs, a healing potion better than the best one in the vanilla game is particularly rude

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought Matt was going to do a TPK until the murderbot sacrifice. Sam just *wrecked* the table with he emotion of it as well. For me that was the best episode from anything since Calamity Ep 4 even before the sacrifice play, that really felt like campaign over

I wonder what they do with Sam's seat between now and endgame. It seems pretty late in the campaign to try and spin up a cold spare sheet. I wonder if they bring in a temporary guest for a while.

Comedy option - vox machina have made it through the portal and Scanlan gets separated somehow.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Clearly we're crying out for Luke's next adventure.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Sam can play Dusk disguised as someone new for the surprise Erika Ishii return

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
My main concern is that absent FCG they're really low on healing. Fearne can heal, technically, but that's basically it?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

DeathSandwich posted:

I wonder what they do with Sam's seat between now and endgame. It seems pretty late in the campaign to try and spin up a cold spare sheet. I wonder if they bring in a temporary guest for a while.

Comedy option - vox machina have made it through the portal and Scanlan gets separated somehow.

When they get back to Exandria and are debriefing, a Tabaxi enters...

"I'm a cat but I'm here to help... "

"If the gods get eaten, that includes me... because I'm a cat"

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So I fell off a few months ago, just taking a break from the show. Until today when I decided I wanted something to listen to podcast style while doing stuff.

Man, I picked a hell of a week to pick this back up, didn't I? :ohdear:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Watching it again, I think that the coolest thing about Sam's Gambit at the end of that episode was that it was clear nobody else at the table aside from Matt had any idea he could do that.

Also, there is nothing I want more for them to meet a new NPC about halfway through the next episode and then hear Sam say "DOTY 2.0, WRITE THIS DOWN!!!" just to troll Laura and then reveal Sam's actual new character.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Watching it again, I think that the coolest thing about Sam's Gambit at the end of that episode was that it was clear nobody else at the table aside from Matt had any idea he could do that.

Also, there is nothing I want more for them to meet a new NPC about halfway through the next episode and then hear Sam say "DOTY 2.0, WRITE THIS DOWN!!!" just to troll Laura and then reveal Sam's actual new character.

Not sure that's true, as the turn previously both Travis and Laura look at Sam and ask him "can you detonate?" Maybe they weren't imagining this outcome, though.

That was a very close combat until near the end; I'd say that things took a bad turn when Ashton opted to push Otohan, which allowed her to exploit her movement without triggering bunches of attacks of opportunity because she was no longer surrounded. They needed to neutralize her mobility advantage by forcing her to take 2-4 attacks every turn if she moved; forcing her to concentrate attacks on the fighting types while protecting the casters was key, especially given the special ability of her off-hand weapon. Ashley's insistence on running adjacent to her didn't help, either. With the hound and Ashton's rage power, getting advantage was happening often enough without needing everyone surrounding her, and for the second phase of that combat the key point was to control who she could attack at any given time. Those Mass Cure Wounds were also good, as they were pretty much "heal enough for the PCs to take six more hits across everyone."

The other lesson here is that the PCs didn't focus enough on buying healing potions. A few Superior Healing potions with Matt's "bonus action to drink" rule might have been enough to turn the battle.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Narsham posted:

Not sure that's true, as the turn previously both Travis and Laura look at Sam and ask him "can you detonate?" Maybe they weren't imagining this outcome, though.
I'm thinking that they had an idea he could do some kind of detonation given that FCG was a mechanical being, but unless it was explicitly explained to them I can't envision them thinking FCG was capable of a "nuclear reaction", as Sam put it in combat.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
there was a whole bit a while back where fcg gets examined by a Robot Understander and is like "yeah this poo poo could blow the gently caress up"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Farg posted:

there was a whole bit a while back where fcg gets examined by a Robot Understander and is like "yeah this poo poo could blow the gently caress up"

Yeah, it was the first time Imahara Joe examined him. He was like, "I want to be careful not to blow up your arcane core." Then later when they rescued Imahara Joe, Orym blew up all those arcane cores and it hosed up all the Paragon's Call in the area.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I knew from the title alone that someone was going to die. I think that's one reason why I put off watching it, even re-watching episode 90 again. That was a solid episode, and a good way to go. Beautiful speeches by Sam. A better way to go than many of the other characters who died for real.

Some people say that Bells' Hells could have played better, and maybe they could have, but they had just done two earlier missions, which went kinda okay (taking 80 damage from the explosion hurt a lot), and they managed to largely get away from the enemies and evade the search - and there was going to be a lockdown and search, and made their best efforts to get away. At some point, there's just not much you can do, and dealing with a level 20 fighter which gets FOUR Action surges, a heal of at least 50% health, and resistance to all attacks just had a small margin for error. The team played the opening perfectly, taking the backpack out of play immediately.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

After being behind for weeks, I binged the last few days and just caught up. Good lord what an episode and what an ending. Otahan was a loving terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Oh my God this hot dog costume.