Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This is terrrrrrrible to watch. Matt not having a turn for over an hour?!?

Matt and Robbie having real problems staying engaged and I dont blame them one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Matt and Robbie having real problems staying engaged and I dont blame them one bit.

That's not what it looks like to me at all, though they seem a bit frustrated by the clearly unwinnable boss fight. But they definitely seem engaged.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i do like getting more gods being like "why are you fighting with champions of betrayers, they're on our side dummy"

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 3, 2024

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Combat is always long in 5e, and interrupting it with conversations and negotiation really make it take so much longer. I guess though, that it was in part because the players were told this was the end of the Crown Keepers, so "get in your character development while you can."

I'm getting the impression that because the healer in FCG is dead now, that Dorian is returning not just as a temporary character, but a permanent one - the new healer, so Sam doesn't feel obligated to pick a healer as their replacement character. I'll also note that Matt said he was hoping to bring Robbie back "later in the campaign," which suggests that he doesn't think they're quite at the climax of the story yet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

that Dorian is returning not just as a temporary character, but a permanent one - the new healer,

per the wiki, he's a swords bard that knows cure wounds and that's it. useful in a pinch but probably not even as useful as healing word would be

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

eke out posted:

per the wiki, he's a swords bard that knows cure wounds and that's it. useful in a pinch but probably not even as useful as healing word would be

He just used Mass Cure Wounds in this episode. It's possible he took Healing Word as one of his spells from the seven levels he gained off-camera. (As an aside, I built a test level 11 Bard in D&D Beyond who could fulfill the "Cleric" role, and while technically possible, it would have eaten up most of their known spells, leaving them with little else to do in combat. Too inflexible.

Thanks for confirming his subclass, though, I wasn't sure if it was Swords or Valor.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ah i didn't remember mass cure, that at least helps.

i don't think it's a hugely critical issue, given how "never heal until someone is unconscious" is effectively the ideal 5e meta, but it makes it more likely the next time matt throws a totally overtuned fight at them like Otohan more people die

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

eke out posted:

ah i didn't remember mass cure, that at least helps.

i don't think it's a hugely critical issue, given how "never heal until someone is unconscious" is effectively the ideal 5e meta, but it makes it more likely the next time matt throws a totally overtuned fight at them like Otohan more people die

Yeah, the healing in 5e is very underpowered. Cure wounds at least is less bad for a swords bard who will be next to the action theoretically. The real problem is that Matt is a little stingy on the potions. There has never been a supreme healing potion available to the party in any of the three campaigns. I get why in the Vox Machina campaign, they were absurdly rich and would have bought a bajillion potions, but he has been much less generous with gold rewards in campaigns 2 and 3.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

oh uh ep 94 is happening now and poo poo is popping off

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

designing an elaborate assassination attempt, complete with preplanned battle set and everything, on a party that has not been allowed to rest in like three real life months

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eke out posted:

designing an elaborate assassination attempt, complete with preplanned battle set and everything, on a party that has not been allowed to rest in like three real life months

To be fair She complete could of chosen not to leave the party

Also I continue to be frustrated at Ashley always forgetting about mister's teleport. She could of bamfed away and beat feet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

To be fair She complete could of chosen not to leave the party

Also I continue to be frustrated at Ashley always forgetting about mister's teleport. She could of bamfed away and beat feet.

you don't have a full map and a battle tailor made with abilities to specifically take out fearne if you don't expect you'll get ashley there one way or the other. she may've done it sooner than expected though

although it would've been really fun if we had ashley playing her dark faerne doppleganger

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 10, 2024

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I cannot believe they got through that with the rolls going so against them.

That exhaustion on Fearne is rough.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 10, 2024

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
POCKET RUBY DUST

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol even the pro's aren't above a little DMPC fiat every now and then as a treat

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Surprised (pleasantly) that the thread hasn't dissolved into DISCOURSE about Beacon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gaz-L posted:

Surprised (pleasantly) that the thread hasn't dissolved into DISCOURSE about Beacon.

What is there to say? Dimension 20 has been on Dropout for ages, and that is actual episodes of main campaigns paywalled. And honestly a lot of people would rather give their money directly to creators rather than give youtube/twitch a cut. Good for them.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I was hoping they were going to question/hand over Otohan's body last night but they seem to have forgotten or glossed over it. Seems like being able to pseudo-question one of Ludinus' lieutenants would have a lot of value.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Gaz-L posted:

Beacon costs the same for a 1-year subscription as a year of Twitch. All the same content is there and then some. The interface is nice. No problems streaming anything so far. Apparently the site got hugged to death right after it was announced but I saw it two hours later and it was fine when I signed up.

I watched the Abridged versions of the two first episodes of Campaign 3 last night out of curiosity. Episodes were each about an hour and a half long. No fluff, but everything important was kept in. Best of all was that combat clipped along at a brisk pace and felt more engaging than the full experience since so much of the waiting for people to make decisions, ask about rules, change their minds, dice rolls and mathing was edited out or way down. Lots of entire turns were skipped but everyone got a moment to shine. Most of the time the edits weren't even noticeable.

I personally would still prefer to watch the full episodes the first time through, but could definitely see myself doing a rewatch of C3 with the abridged.

It was nice getting the full VOD dropped right as the episode started streaming for everyone else. I don't ever have chat open so I didn't miss it, and being able to pause to watch at my own pace even when watching "live" was nice.

The way they went about it was great. More stuff if you subscribe, nothing's changed for anyone who doesn't. Can't imagine why anyone would have any reason to complain, but hey, this is the Internet.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

sweet geek swag posted:

What is there to say? Dimension 20 has been on Dropout for ages, and that is actual episodes of main campaigns paywalled. And honestly a lot of people would rather give their money directly to creators rather than give youtube/twitch a cut. Good for them.

I think a lot of people were on edge because of the Watcher discourse a month ago. Really though this fandom has a tendency to yell SELLOUT every chance it gets and it's the dumbest loving thing every time

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Annakie posted:

I watched the Abridged versions of the two first episodes of Campaign 3 last night out of curiosity. Episodes were each about an hour and a half long. No fluff, but everything important was kept in. Best of all was that combat clipped along at a brisk pace and felt more engaging than the full experience since so much of the waiting for people to make decisions, ask about rules, change their minds, dice rolls and mathing was edited out or way down. Lots of entire turns were skipped but everyone got a moment to shine. Most of the time the edits weren't even noticeable.

It was nice getting the full VOD dropped right as the episode started streaming for everyone else. I don't ever have chat open so I didn't miss it, and being able to pause to watch at my own pace even when watching "live" was nice.

I was originally uninterested, but these points might make me sign up. High level DnD combat in an actual play can be such a grind.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

He just used Mass Cure Wounds in this episode. It's possible he took Healing Word as one of his spells from the seven levels he gained off-camera. (As an aside, I built a test level 11 Bard in D&D Beyond who could fulfill the "Cleric" role, and while technically possible, it would have eaten up most of their known spells, leaving them with little else to do in combat. Too inflexible.

Thanks for confirming his subclass, though, I wasn't sure if it was Swords or Valor.

Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Lesser Restoration, Mass Cure Wounds. It's not a huge ask.

The main issue is the group lost access to Revivify unless Sam comes back with an artificer, cleric, or paladin. I'd love to see Sam play a paladin.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
My copper's on Sam rolling up a paladin / monk who just smacks everyone on the back / hi-fives bro-style to heal or hurt.

Can anyone with a Beacon sub confirm the quality of the captioning? The CR team is absolutely amazing with the captioning on YT VODs, just want to make sure that's still the case on the new platform.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Narsham posted:

Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Lesser Restoration, Mass Cure Wounds. It's not a huge ask.

The main issue is the group lost access to Revivify unless Sam comes back with an artificer, cleric, or paladin. I'd love to see Sam play a paladin.

Fearne has Revivify. She used it on Orym after the first Otohan fight. It's on the expanded Tasha's spell list.

Edit: The Tasha's list for Bard has Mass Healing word as well.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 10, 2024

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also, add Ranger to the list of classes Sam could choose with Revivify as well (Tasha's again)

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

sweet geek swag posted:

Fearne has Revivify. She used it on Orym after the first Otohan fight. It's on the expanded Tasha's spell list.

I thought Fearne's spell list was solely "charm person" and "scorching (Marisha) ray"?
:v:

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 10, 2024

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Professor Moriarty posted:

I thought Fearne's spell list was solely "charm person" and "scorching (Marsha) ray"?
:v:

People forget Fearne can heal in the same way that Fearne forgets that she is a Ruidisborn.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

My copper's on Sam rolling up a paladin / monk who just smacks everyone on the back / hi-fives bro-style to heal or hurt.

Can anyone with a Beacon sub confirm the quality of the captioning? The CR team is absolutely amazing with the captioning on YT VODs, just want to make sure that's still the case on the new platform.

It looks like they're not there yet, but they're aware and working on it. I'd assume it'll be the same subtitles as on the rest of the videos on other platforms.

The controls to try to turn them on now are a bit hidden, if you right click on the video there's a "show keyboard shortcut" option and then you'd turn them on by hitting C... but yeah, not working yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

No captioning that I saw as yet.

The price of Beacon is worth it for CR Cooldown alone. 12-15 minutes of much like the old Talks Machina, much better than 4SD post episode chatting. They also preloaded from C381 so you got a couple hours just there alone. There is a Audio based campaign with new players and DM and all their older content + Midst.

What Beacon launched with is pretty drat good, the UI is slick and polished - honestly it's worth paying for Beacon rather than a Twitch sub or Youtube membership and also they have stated there will be no change to how they release existing content so..... I cant see anything even the most toxic redittors can whine about other than the sake of whining?

sweet geek swag posted:

The Dimension 20 comparison is pretty valid IMO - that started with not a lot of content but it's grown in the last 5 years to be an amazing content bargain and it's fairly clear CR want to go down that kind of track.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the rollout is fine so far, the problem with watchers attempted rollout of their platform was both originally scrubbing youtube of their content to paywall it and then offering a monthly fee in return for not all that much content tbh. dropout might have most of their stuff paywalled but you get a lot for your buck.

with beacon its a lot of fun extra stuff and newer, deeper control options for viewing their content, while still keeping the flagship stuff releasing on twitch/youtube as normal. they're doing it smartly

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Annakie posted:

This is really nice, I can watch right away, without having to wait an hour and constantly be refreshing the twitch VOD - also I don't have to deal with twitch

The "cooldown after" vids are neat too because I love all their above table talk at the end (and I always wish'd they'd hang around for a little more to talk poo poo lol) There are a bunch already up for past eps too, so I'm just about to watch the one after FCG

As for the episode, I love having Robbie back and Dorian's complete lack of knowing what the gently caress is going on

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sweet geek swag posted:

I mean, value wise Beacon seems kind of thin compared to Dropout if you're using that comparison. Dropout has a ton of amazing stuff that really helps justify it, what with all the gameshows and improv stuff, and they are just straight up going to be hosting stand-up specials now.

I feel like Beacon really ought to have a bit more to it than jjust the weekly show and Midst and the one-shots

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Who is in the weekly audio game and what are they playing?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, value wise Beacon seems kind of thin compared to Dropout if you're using that comparison. Dropout has a ton of amazing stuff that really helps justify it, what with all the gameshows and improv stuff, and they are just straight up going to be hosting stand-up specials now.

I feel like Beacon really ought to have a bit more to it than jjust the weekly show and Midst and the one-shots

What did Dropout have when it started though? College Humor had been shut down and they basically had to restart it from scratch. It was the new owner, Brennan and like one other person.

Anyway, Beacon already has a new audio show called re-Slayers Take premiering on the 20th. You get the VODs for stuff right away which means you can dispense with a Twitch subscription if you had it for that. And the abridged stuff is a promising way to rewatch stuff. There are also the discounts, which may be a big deal for some people. I agree it's not as good a value as Dropout, but Dropout has been going for a while now.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

It is thin now and maybe it’ll be a different conversation if they haven’t grown the catalog noticeably in a year or two, but it’s also more than you were getting for the same price on your Twitch subscription. Sure there are way better deals in terms of content per dollar out there but I already don’t have time to keep up with C3 these days so I don’t really care about that.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

God dropout is the best 6 bucks a month Ive ever spent. Just so many shows that are bangers now. If beacon gets to that point that would be amazing and they're off to a good start.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

:frogsiren::frogsiren: MORE DAGGERHEART! :frogsiren::frogsiren:

CritRole posted:

DAGGERHEART OPEN BETA | THE MENAGERIE LEVELS UP! The Menagerie characters leveled up after the events of their first one-shot! Watch as the adventurers gain more experience, increase their abilities, and choose new domain deck cards.

Releases Tuesday, May 14th at 11am Pacific on Youtube and Beacon

DAGGERHEART | LIVE ONE SHOT | OPEN BETA The Menagerie is returning! Join game master Matthew Mercer as he leads the cast of Critical Role through a LIVE One-Shot using the Daggerheart system!

Though Daggerheart is still in Beta testing, we hope this one-shot can give insight into how the game can be played.

Airs LIVE on Tuesday, May 14th at 7pm Pacific on Beacon, Twitch, and YouTube

Rebroadcasts Wednesday, May 15th at 12am Pacific and 9am Pacific on Twitch

VOD will be available immediately after the stream ends for Beacon members, Twitch subscribers, and YouTube members

VOD out Thursday, May 30th at 12pm Pacific on YouTube Podcast out Thursday, May 30th on your favorite podcast streaming service at 5am Pacific

Looking forward to seeing these guys again :D

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's alright, we're professionals doing what professionals do

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

It's a shame Sam wasn't around for that Daggerheart game either (was hoping to see him again) but I read he is busy working on the animated series

Hope he comes back to the table soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
God I love this 'Czechpeku as Fragrance/shampoo ad' bit