Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I rushed through to the end of last thread to try to suggest this, but it was too long, too late:

Last time we went out it was 2 fish sandwiches, 2 chicken sandwiches, a large Dr. Pepper, and a milk, all eaten with no manners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Everett False posted:

I believe the unofficial rule has been:
  • Make it more interesting than just saying 'seems fake'
  • Also post content so we have something to talk about other than whether or not it seems fake

I'm always ok with fake callouts if they cite factual issues with the post, especially ones that are easier to spot with domain knowledge. I can learn something from it.
And when people find OP admissions that the post was fake. Because I'm a buzzkill I guess.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what's it called when it's not quite a laugh, but a wheeze of exhausted recognition?

I was doing more

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kenshin posted:

There is no clarification anywhere here that they have ever met in person

I take "We finally met up and" to mean they met in person.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

My (30M) girlfriend's (24F) anime-geek friends (M29-34) drive me crazy and frankly, I want to beat them
(think smelly, fat Napoleon Dynamites)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hecuba posted:

This is worth a look if you saw the original story and (as I did) went “ugh, both of these people are horrible” without looking any farther.
That wasn't my take from the NYT article.
The drafts (and narrated version) where Larson used barely touched excerpts from Dorland's letter were lazy in the capacity of her profession, and her defense around life inspiration vs fiction didn't hold water for me. Dorland is a sad sack for sure, but Larson came off far worse from just that reading.

And in the detailed court evidence letters, yeah, she just admits the plagiarism.

quote:

I feel nervous about sending it out b/c it literally has sentences that I verbatim grabbed from Dawn’s letter on FB. I’ve tried to change it but I can’t seem to—that letter was just too drat good. I’m not sure what to do…feeling morally compromised/like a good artist but a lovely person…
Bad Art indeed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

teen witch posted:

you can only talk about the nerd on nerd violence post if you post your favorite smash stage and it CANNOT BE FINAL DESTINATION

Hyrule, no question.

Come to the house of pain in the next 30s if you want an rear end kicking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OnlyBans posted:

She's just a person who had a super annoying and clingy co-worker that she would make fun of.

I dunno; she knew she had lifted Dorland's writing and only tried to take it back when she was going to get in trouble for it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Verbatim copy-pasting someone's letter to take a big poo poo on them is definitely some high school bullying poo poo but Dawn's position that well maybe she might wanna turn that letter into a novel someday therefore it's the same thing as Sonya plagiarizing her novel is tenuous bordering on unhinged
She's the author of the letter and had a good (litigable) argument for being able to keep it out of another author's fictional usage of it. I don't think it needs the extra step of deriving another work from it.

If Larson had modified it from the get-go instead of keeping it because she thought it so perfectly characterized Dorland's stand-in, she would have never caught any heat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

teen witch posted:

You don’t have PMs but uh, add content or I won’t give you a sixer, as we are done with this topic. you have until I’m on the train. How long does that take?

you’ll see

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I recently hired a creative freelancer for a thing. The policies packet had a sentence "btw remember this code phrase form the contract". Then the contract itself had not only the "initial here to say you read the policies" box but asked for the code phrase from the policies packet. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

You're supposed do a name style anonymization for the code phrase :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I get it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Was there ever an update from that lady on Twitter who thought she was a kidnapped baby?

2 weeks ago, I commented on that post asking if she'd had any updates. Silence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Bf (M25) doesn’t want me (F24) to model and uses offensive language

/r/r: When we were FaceTiming, I literally saw him zoom into a pic of a sexy model’s rear end through the reflection of his glasses.

Zurtilik posted:

Older brother [21M] stealing money for games from parents [53M,41F], while my parents are in a financial struggle, what should I [19M] do?

snuck in a bit of age gap math, too.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 29, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

I know the op never stated races but listen.

OP said she was Korean and her friend renaming herself was white.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hughlander posted:

AITA for "throwing" my career in my in-laws face?

My surname could also pass for Korean.

So... Hong, Kang, Bang, Lee, maybe a few more if they were never written out, only said aloud.

Yeah, his parents definitely asked and he mumbled/half-nodded his way through it.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting my wife a penis shaped cake?

Hmm, it's a cake, but also a dick; I can see why she took it so hard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

https://soundcloud.com/brawnfire/jeopardizethebeans

If there's anything else from this thread I can say/read into a microphone, let me know, I need amusement

I assume you're on take 200 of "stay cramped, bitch" ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Barudak posted:

I guess Im immediately flummoxed cause in the asian part of my family the rule is the person who pays chooses the dishes and eveything is served family style.

IME, more than one party goes into it thinking they might have to pay, keeps their powder dry til the end, and then makes the biggest show of refusing all other offers to pay. This can take 5-20 minutes, depending on how much relative face is at stake from paying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

never understood this method of doing it, luckily i have a dishwasher now so :toot:

The soak method lets you save the most caked on stuff for last, giving that stuff a little more time to break up/ soften before your scrub. Or you can scrape those first and then soak to let the water seep in better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pentyne posted:

AITA for refusing to follow my girlfriend’s weird family tradition?

Somehow, the idea of "just don't get drunk" never occurred to this OP.

Can anyone confirm if this is very normal in Euope Romani culture?
Is it just a weird character assassination?

e: whoop, efb

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 1, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sullat posted:

Well you can, you just have to rub your face on them so you can mark them with your scent glands first.

Oh, I thought it was spraying your butthole scents on them?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for lettingmy child climb on a rock?
Hi, I'm a 34 year old woman and my 3 children are a 12 year old boy, a 9 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. My husband is a 35 year old man.

This is worse than stilted sentence structure when using abbreviations.

The formality does bias me against the OP.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Creepy as gently caress but no assault.
AITA for leaving through the bathroom window when I saw my date had underwear on his wall like a trophy?

Yes, the one who ran away screaming from a guy's trophy wall of misogyny is the immature one.

Put that on campus social media imo.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t understand how she reached that conclusion?

Like the story is supposed to lead to the conclusion but it just comes out of knowhere

I could see OP taking the SIL making her peace with the infertility as an implicit failure of motherhood and holding it against her.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

She's recovering from erectile dysfunction?

I read ED as that, too. Every time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wonder how much extra she had to pay the wedding planner to pull that poo poo for her

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Reddit comments agree that the sister told the wedding planner to say this, in hopes that the wedding planner would be the bad cop for her.

The OP putting the wedding planner on blast on social media with that direct quote "I hope someone starts white to your wedding," especially without context, could seriously jeopardize her business. Whether she did it on her own or not, seems like a major lack of judgment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Also, the blabbermouth at the OB that spilled the story about pregnancy got reported

Who is the she who answered?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

The same receptionist who told the OP's mom

So the OP just willingly reported the complaint to the person who she was complaining about?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

haveblue posted:

OP told person to pass on the message “I need to talk to my OB” but not about what. OB called back

Doh!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Apparently she's Japanese and he's an expat living in Japan with her, so maybe there was some kind of miscommunication or Japanese PTAs are different?

He sounds whiny and exhausting either way.

Someone translate enthusiastic bj into Japanese for me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did Prudie ask "does Trevor post on the forums as Microwave?"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

TBF to microwave, his (I think step)mom was wearing a t-shirt, not a bikini.

It WAS at the beach or near enough for the beach to be in the background.

Dude, do you really think Microwave gave us the best stuff?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

That’s peanuts. I have been in a group chat with just 8 elder millennials ever since ios messages moved off of sms, and it still gets 400-500 messages per day, like 16-20 messages per hour.

100 zoomers should be able to do way better than 100 messages an hr.

I remember in a systems class we did a small case study on communications during 9/11.
IIRC, the NYC area at the time could handle about 2000 SMS messages per minute.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sean10mm posted:

At first I was almost sympathetic to the dying cheater but he comes off really manipulative and the whole thing was obviously premeditated to boot.

Wrap up loose ends -- more like get up in some tight ends amirite.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

had a period the whole time,
They've got two uteruses

That's probably the only way when you're pregnant, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

Try "berth ell pup"

It's kind of weird that Google's not sophisticated enough to handle this one letter difference.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hughlander posted:

My [33m] wife [25f] constantly makes a conscious effort to humiliate me during my lessons over Zoom

This one?

That wife sucks, but let's say they got married 2 years ago (reasonable time to have a kid and get possible PPD) and started dating a year before that -- 30 to 22 is sizable age gap. Maybe picked the wrong horse for maturation trajectory.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

he shouldn’t be dating a 19 year old but what’s wrong with how he shops for groceries

Depends on how far away / out of the way the grocery is.
I live a 2 min walk from the store and before Covid and having a baby, would routinely decide the night of what to make.
I would certainly not do that if it were a 20min drive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Woodchip posted:

Let the Thanksgiving stories flow.

My boyfriend (31M) just thought to mentioned that he’s decided to travel with his friends for Thanksgiving, leaving me (31F) to scramble last minute plans.

I can surface level empathize with being caught off guard on holiday plans, but I would be so happy not to have to do anything for Thanksgiving.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Funktastic posted:

my assistant quit because of St. Patrick’s Day pinching

he was pinched near her butt. The person who did it claimed he didn’t mean to do it there and she had started to sit down

For that to happen, he'd have to aim lower than the butt. The thigh? The back of the knee? Doesn't compute.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I love the tiny triangle of land that's near the top of the river but belongs to France because you cannot, under any circumstance, cede that land to Belgium because it's strategically vital

Wasn't that land or one like it the inspiration for some diplomatic shenanigans in Cryptonomicon or REAMDE, one of Stephenson's books?

Gnossiennes posted:

same, it's reason #1 i'll take a diet coke/coke zero over a regular coke any day, it makes my teeth and tongue feel just disgustingly fuzzy. even juice or aguas frescas, despite being about the same level of sugar, don't leave near as much of a gross film imo
Whoever the Coke scientist is -- I know you said the blind study showed people couldn't tell a difference in taste, but what about mouth feel? Is it in our heads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I am not a doctor or food scientist but the descriptions of mouth feeling fuzzy or filmy sounds like how my sister used to describe bananas before she found out she has a mild banana allergy. Maybe worth checking out.

I don't drink cane sugar sodas enough to be sure if there's a difference, but normal US coke does have that teeth-clinging people have mentioned. It's an extremely common criticism of HFCS soda, but I wonder how real the effect is?