Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Piell posted:

AITA for not wanting my girlfriend to dye her hair?

I can understand trying to protect you partner from making a permanent life-altering decision on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

hallo spacedog posted:

But dying your hair is not one...?

You're acting as if there was a process to safely remove the tips of her hair after they've been stained.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to take off my glasses at a wedding?

I was 100% convinced this was building up to the mother stealing her glasses and making someone lead her around between photos while completely blind.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Woodchip posted:

now that i moved across the country for husband's job, he is perfectly willing to lose said job because of vaccine mandate

Thankfully divorce is a qualifying life event, so it's ok that you missed open enrollment.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Stolen valor is one thing, but who goes for that with an added garnish of "Yeah, so, I killed some kids."?

That part was probably true and he wrapped the rest around it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

It's not so much "breaking the law" as something that will be unwound and clawed back by the court if they find out about it and determine she does have a claim to it and there's nothing you can do to stop them (other than I guess successfully arguing they aren't communal property). Everyone who tries to hide assets thinks they're the first one to try it

Either way, he's the rear end in a top hat for saying "that bitch steals nothing" and for owning crypto in the first place

Yeah either:

A) He's right and he's successfully kept the assets separate and she won't get any of them, in which case there's nothing to worry about.
B) She is entitled to half and he's hiding them which the court will not be amused by and will probably penalize him for.

Now that other people know about it there's certainly no point trying to hide it, it can only make you look bad to the court even if you're right.

Since crypto is considered a commodity I wonder if it's handled differently in any way than regular cash accounts kept separate. Presumably you could make some argument about the gains in value that accrued while married? And that's all the mental effort I'm willing to spend on loving crypto today.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 26, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Barudak posted:

Kobe beef, like all japanese meat cuts, is trash and there is a considerable market in Japan for imported and alternate cut beef to escape it.

I had some kind of... not kobe I guess but some high-grade wagyu at one point. It's... unique? But it's like 50% (or more?) fat and is totally different than what most of the world would consider a 'steak'. Meat flavored butter? It certainly doesn't make a good old fashioned ribeye or filet obsolete.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

im loving thrilled if my 6yo remembers to put jam back in the fridge after making a sandwich, someone needs to sit this dickhead down and explain what is age-appropriate and how to positively reinforce good behavior

a five year old remembering to pick up their room and then seeking approval for it? and getting brutally shot down? this is emotional abuse, drat. dad is treating child like a middling employee and not, you know, his beloved daughter

Yeah it's not about fawning over them for doing the chore itself. It's about the developmental step of remembering and showing initiative and not needing to be explicitly told to do something. And that part is worth rewarding/reinforcing.

Thankfully she seems to have one functioning parent.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

I [26F] won a trip to Disney World. My cousin [30F] thinks I should take her daughter [5F] but I don't want to.

If the cousin wants her to spend more time with her daughter or get to 'practice' being a parent in that situation then they should invite and pay for OP next time they go.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

I live in Atlantic Canada and we have gas station lobster. It's a common thing during lobster season to see someone parked at a gas station and selling live lobster from the back of their truck. Best lobster too since it's usually fresh off the boat that morning and cheaper by a few bucks a pound compared to the local markets.

I saw your first sentence and immediately pictured a bunch of cooked lobsters flopping around on hot dog rollers beneath a heat lamp.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Tobermory posted:

They should name the puppy Rebecca.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for reverse trick or treating with my wife?

They live in a rural area, so presumably the mailboxes are quite far apart and yet somehow the wife overheard a 'group of people' talking about them within earshot while getting the mail. What?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Woodchip posted:

Moms extreme efforts to shield me from sexuality and women

But yeah, she got him to practically scrub any visual evidence of women's existence on earth from my devices.

Not even the most ridiculous parental control software will do this. So if he searches "Chancellor of Germany" it blocks everything? The mom's IT buddy should go put google out of business with AI like that.

So I guess it's either fake or the kid needs to be more clever than trying to just put "Tits" in google.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 14, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to return the $600 dollar gift I bought for mom for Christmas?

This one might be above reddit's pay grade. Just too much nuance and way too many things to consider.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't really see it? Like I'm sure specifics would add to the story, but he went behind his wife's back, drained their joint account, to buy an expensive gift he would never get his wife, because he wants to compete with his siblings.

If there were any details that would mitigate OP's actions enough to not be the rear end in a top hat, they would be included in the post.

:thejoke:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for not sharing medical history before being pranked?

I've literally never heard of a friend group pretending one of them is crazy except in the cases where that person happens to be schizophrenic.

I'm sure there's confirmation bias but this cannot possibly be that common.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

wizardofloneliness posted:

Help, I can't figure out if these events would have happened if I hadn't hired someone to make these events happen.

Heisenberg Uncertainty Philandering

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For lashing out at my boyfriend for deleting my instagram account after I posted a video of him with my son?

Tell me you're the side chick without saying that you're the side chick.
EDIT: Or, as a lot of Redditors are speculating, he's on the registry and isn't allowed to be around kids.

He's one of Marvel's Eternals.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making the food too spicy on purpose?

We're going to get a lot more of these stories thanks to COVID.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
What's really dumb is you can find video of people cooking wagyu to well done or whatever and it still tastes good and because of all the fat is still reasonably juicy/pleasant. No of course it's not nearly as good as properly cooked but if there's one steak that can actually survive cooking to well done, that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW249cc4NhQ&t=559s

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Can you train a bird not to poo poo just anywhere it wants? I'm under the impression that it's impossible.

I'm pretty sure they don't have the kind of large intestine & muscles that would allow that. No sense carrying around dead weight when you're trying to fly.

EDIT: Apparently this is BS. I have been utterly owned on bird gut knowledge.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 30, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm sure he would have revealed himself to be an rear end in a top hat in the interview too.

That seems reasonably likely given the boss who had a good impression is a man... and I know I'm taking a wild guess here.... the poster might be a woman.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

DeeplyConcerned posted:

drat manbaby and worse. what could possibly be worse than calling someone a manbaby?

Yeah I wasn't aware there was any worse insult according to the AITA mods.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I want to put in a little camera to see the front of the garage (that's where they leave packages, and it's close to the street) but I'm trying to figure out an angle and such so it's NOT pointing out into the street or at my neighbors house. I really don't want to be one of those people.

Hughlander posted:

Me [30 F] with my husband [32 M] of 8 years, found possible evidence of cheating. I'm devastated.

A travel agent sent an email titled "Our Trip!" ?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my MIL that my husband did not like her Christmas gift?

This is weird. It's her husband and her MIL/FIL. So they don't believe their own son has this problem? Almost certainly Crohns or something else that has caused permanent small intestine scarring leading to risk of obstructions. I'm in basically the same boat as this guy and though it loving SUCKS and sometimes people can be lovely about it my parents are not among them.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pookah posted:

I'm guessing he didn't have this weird 'picky eating' thing when he was living with them, he only became 'difficult' when he got married or just moved away and this is them asserting that They are the ones who decide whether his gut issues are real.
And they have decided that they are not real.

I'm sure this is right. The more I read this thread though, especially when I see someone like this who's going through what I have but without the support I had... it's just loving unrelatable to nigh-incomprehensible to me how dysfunctional people really are. Just with how lovely the world is, the need to push away and gently caress with people who otherwise would nominally care and support you, is just utterly alien. It makes me realize how incredibly lucky I am, apparently.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Funktastic posted:

AITA for not letting my bf cook in my kitchen since he always throws away the food he makes?

It seems odd OP left this out but they don't like lobster? Otherwise presumably they would just eat it...

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If you're kicking her out of the house and getting a divorce you could just change the password on the amazon account for the Ring cameras.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for recording instead of reminding my wife when a bird was eating her toast?

This abusive poo poo-show of a relationship is irreparable. :sever:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter decorated gingerbread men with purple smears and made a paper spider ornament and a Ziploc bag ornament to hang on our Christmas tree

Maybe loosen up for a couple years

Yeah how's THAT going to look on instagram, you idiot?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

They're just leaving wholesomeness clout on the table, like fools!

Yeah I really don't get it. I feel like if she was terminally online or had a MIL from hell judging everything the poster would have said so. If it's general 'Stuff must be perfect or it's not worth doing.' then the guy needs to put a stop to that poo poo now before it seriously fucks up the kids.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
AITA For Ruining My Husband's Christmas?

quote:

My (F29) husband (M33) is the breadwinner and I'm a sahm. We used to both work but due to medical problems I couldn't keep working. As a result I don't have what they call fun money or money to spend however I want. My husband gives me money only to spend on the house or the kids but that's that. I might borrow money here and there or try to figure something out if I needed essential stuff like hygiene products.

I just stopped right here.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
How the poo poo does "It's unprofessional to constantly have a cardboard cutout of a recognizable celebrity in your background in every Zoom meeting." get parsed as "The MAN is trying to dictate how I decorate in my own home!"

FFS, he could commission a giant mural of a naked Danny Devito crawling out of the couch and put it above his monitor out of the camera shot and nobody would give a gently caress, obviously. If your skill-set is in demand go ahead shop around for a job where you can force your coworkers to look at Danny throughout every meeting I guess. But a company is perfectly reasonable to tell someone they're not going to advance in a leadership roll doing that.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

just have that scene where Frank Reynolds crawls out of the couch buck rear end naked playing in a loop on a tv in the background

You see I need to have this on 24/7 for my mental health. Of course I can't actually see it, it's behind me and only my co-workers can see it, but without it I would just be a soulless drone. If it were off camera where only I could see it, it wouldn't work.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

OhAreThey posted:

But what about a bottle of really good maple syrup?

Thank you for reminding me about the bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup I got for my birthday and forgot about. I need to make some french toast or something.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Variable 5 posted:

What happens when the parents find out that the OP was lying and the sister was telling the truth? Is he just going to hide his relationship for the rest of his life?

I think the plan is fairly clearly to get his college paid for and then tell them all to gently caress off. Which is exactly what he should do. He can visit his cool aunt at holidays.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
The entire IVF thing could just be a grift especially if the husband is a deadbeat and in on it too.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

My grandma used to tell me about a weird kid in the neighborhood that would ladder up to peoples windows at night. She told me when he was older he got arrested whacking it on someone garage roof.
They gotta stop the kid now

Based on the updates it's not even clear the kid was doing... anything? I kind of got a 'oh my god there's a woman existing somewhere our son can see her' vibe.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Trying to imagine other recreational tall people activities after basketball. Noticing the rain before other people? Standing at the front of a concert venue? Taking things off of high shelves?

e: playing games of keep away???

They have a high jump bar & pit in the backyard, maybe?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

It's possible to eat healthy at a big wedding buffet by paying attention to portion size, choosing the healthy options, and having some self control.

Oh there's shrimp cocktail? Great! Shrimp is a low fat high protein food. Now don't dunk the shrimp in cheese sauce so deep you're rolling up your sleeve to your elbow.

I mean I think they are pretty much saying "Your brother has no self control with food, so him attending this wedding with this menu is going to be a problem." Based on the groom's response it seems like he's probably out of patience with his brother's effort or lack of effort in the past and not willing to accommodate it anymore, which is his prerogative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

jazzyhattrick posted:

She may just have some mild decorum poisoning. Probably best to find out if she is taking her mother's "advice" seriously or is just humouring her because "You know how she is."

He did specifically say she 'respects' her mom. Though he doesn't elaborate that implies it's more than 'Well she's my mom I still love her even though she sucks.'