Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hello, are you over six feet? Would you like to join us for some recreational tall people activities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like he took the loss graciously enough and the joke was as much poking fun at himself and his preconceptions as it was the guy's average (above average?) height. He even already apologized within the story itself.

It's such a large contrast to the ones where the OP was like "they embarrassed me by beating me in front of my friends/family, they should apologize to me".

But also lmao at "recreational tall people activities" who even talks like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am an extremely nervous driver, and I would never claim to be a good one. On the other hand, there's a roundabout near our tourist town, and everybody uses it correctly, including (apparently) the tourists. It's a miracle.

AITA for calling my daughter's fiance a 'manlet'?

I bet OP played HS ball or something and hasn't practiced or played since then beyond shooting a few hoops in the gym for fun, and was expecting to beat someone 20 years younger (and presumably in great shape) effortlessly.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ArbitraryC posted:

But also lmao at "recreational tall people activities" who even talks like that.

He's a little confused, the air is so thin up there, sometimes he says things that don't make sense

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

before you call the cops you must always ask yourself “does what this person is doing deserve the death penalty” because there is always at least a decent possibility that calling the cops ends in them shooting someone dead. it should be your default assumption of the outcome if the person you’re calling them on is darker than a paper bag.

Its this, break up with him after he gets back, potentially having him murdered is not worth it

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its this, break up with him after he gets back, potentially having him murdered is not worth it

Someone who belittles a front-line worker's career and takes away her primary mode of transportation behind her back, which might get her in trouble with her superiors not to mention put a strain on her colleagues who need to pick up the slack, isn't a person whose life I'm overly concerned with.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: he stole her car.

Dazerbeams posted:

Someone who belittles a front-line worker's career and takes away her primary mode of transportation behind her back, which might get her in trouble with her superiors not to mention put a strain on her colleagues who need to pick up the slack, isn't a person whose life I'm overly concerned with.

The sole breadwinner, no less.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dazerbeams posted:

Yup. She told him not to do it, he ignored her. She told him to bring it back or she'd call the cops, and he ignored her again. So gently caress him, he can take his chances.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like he took the loss graciously enough and the joke was as much poking fun at himself and his preconceptions as it was the guy's average (above average?) height. He even already apologized within the story itself.

It's such a large contrast to the ones where the OP was like "they embarrassed me by beating me in front of my friends/family, they should apologize to me".

I would agree if there wasn't so many mentions of how important height is including trying to set his daughter up with tall men while she was dating her current boyfriend and not taking "he makes me happy" as an answer when he seriously asks why she is with him. I'm sure this wasn't the first time he insulted boyfriend's height and tried to play it off as a joke.

We also don't know how the bf took it other than "I shook his hand and everything seemed fine" but I don't really think Mr. Under 6 Feet is a Manlet is reliable.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

The fuckwit took it to a bar, presumably to drink with his idiot mates. High likelihood of him loving up her only mode of transportation and possibly murdering someone while driving drunk. He deserves the cops.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
“I missed my shift because my unemployed live-in boyfriend stole my car. Don’t worry, though, I’ll think about dumping him.”

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like people massively overstate how much your life is in danger from cops. Yes ACAB, yes they kill a whole lot of people every year for no or racist reasons, yes we should get rid of the police but in absolute terms the cops kill about 2,000 people per year in the U.S. (including bullshit where people die in Police Custody). There are over 300 million people in the U.S., the odds they're going to kill any individual person on a call are astronomically low.

This is not to defend cops in any way, but the odds of a pig murdering you are not high enough that its really a factor when you call to report a stolen car or whatever. That's not even why calling cops is usually bad most of the time, usually the issue is them just straight stealing your poo poo, assaulting you or putting you on a list to harass which we should be warning people of.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 3, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she can use the unsolvable cop problem in society to fix her solvable boyfriend problem

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Also like people massively overstate how much your life is in danger from cops. Yes ACAB, yes they kill a whole lot of people every year for no or racist reasons, yes we should get rid of the police but in absolute terms the cops kill about 2,000 people per year in the U.S. (including bullshit where people die in Police Custody). There are over 300 million people in the U.S., the odds they're going to kill any individual person on a call are astronomically low.

This is not to defend cops in any way, but the odds of a pig murdering you are not high enough that its really a factor when you call to report a stolen car or whatever. That's not even why calling cops is usually bad most of the time, usually the issue is them just straight stealing your poo poo, assaulting you or putting you on a list to harass which we should be warning people of.

Alec Baldwin has a higher body count than the average police officer.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Peanut Butter posted:

Someone needs to tell this dad that being tall is not a personality

If you are going to make it your personality, you had better be roughly the height of Andre the Giant. Being slightly taller than average is nothing special.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Trying to imagine other recreational tall people activities after basketball. Noticing the rain before other people? Standing at the front of a concert venue? Taking things off of high shelves?

e: playing games of keep away???

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I can't believe that woman tried to have her boyfriend murdered over a car. Just unbelievable behavior for someone living in this year

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Trying to imagine other recreational tall people activities after basketball. Noticing the rain before other people? Standing at the front of a concert venue? Taking things off of high shelves?

They have a high jump bar & pit in the backyard, maybe?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Imposing a ban on Talos worship

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Finding things they have to duck under like doorways.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Boyfriend was clearly white and thus In minimal danger. If he'd been brown they wouldn't have let him go so quickly.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My boyfriend is attracted to extremely large breasts, of which I do not have. When asked about it, he said I fall into the ‘love’ category, but not ‘lust,’ due to my breasts being average size. Is it worth continuing the relationship?

quote:

My (22F) boyfriend (21M) is attracted to very large breasts (H cup and above). Prior to dating me, he showed me that he had social media accounts dedicated to following women with these proportions, and would post videos of anime girls with similar body types.

Whilst there’s nothing wrong with having sexual preferences and desires, it seems that his is very overt. I also don’t have breasts of such a size (I’m about a B-C cup).

Although I am secure in my body, I did bring it up with him, as I couldn’t help but wonder if I am attractive to him when he desires another body shape. He told me there’s a difference between lust and love - he lusts after the women with large breasts, but he loves me.

He truly does a good job of loving me - he sends me 10+ page love letters every month, makes me playlists, willingly spends all his free time with me, and is genuinely kind, and caring and loyal.

However, a small part of me struggles to move past the ‘love’ vs ‘lust’ comment. We haven’t had sex yet (covid and lockdown making that difficult), and I am his first girlfriend (hence taking it slow) so I haven’t been able to fully ascertain his reaction to my body. Admittedly, I am nervous to do so knowing he so overtly desires a body type I don’t have- and herein lies the problem.

Ultimately, I personally would never judge someone for their body, so I have no problem walking away from someone who does. But as much as I love him, I perhaps vainly admit that I want to fit in the ‘lust’ category too. I want to be sexually desirable to the man that I am with.

Hence, in these current circumstances, is this possible? Do you have strong sexual preferences, but still love someone who does not meet them?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend is attracted to extremely large breasts, of which I do not have. When asked about it, he said I fall into the ‘love’ category, but not ‘lust,’ due to my breasts being average size. Is it worth continuing the relationship?

Oh, honey, no

To be young and dumb again

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Prior to dating me, he showed me that he had social media accounts dedicated to following women with these proportions

"You should feel grateful that I'm dating you despite me finding these other women more attractive."

Edit: I somehow glossed over the anime girls line. Hayao Miyazaki was correct.

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 3, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

if only this guy and all other weebs could use this opportunity to learn to never talk about what gives them boners

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
AITA for prioritizing my dog over my boyfriend?

quote:

So I (22F) and Bryce (23M) have been dating for about 8 months. We both go to school and work and we each have our own apartments. But because mine is closer to campus (we attend the same school) he tends to stay with me the nights before he has early classes (which as of last semester was 3 days but will change next semester)

My dog, Cas, is my baby. He’s a chihuahua who was very very underweight when I got him 4 years ago. He’s better now ut he needs special digestive food otherwise he has really bad diarrhea. A 20 lb bag costs around $60 (this will be relevant later)

I’m going to be honest and admit that my job pays well. I never bring that up with Bryce though. When we go on dates or have night outs I’m more than happy to pay and I’ve never made him pay for staying with me since it’s not really full time.

Well today I decided to buy myself a heavy coat that was about $175. It’s expensive for a coat, but I’ve been wanting it for a while and decided to spoil myself. I stopped at a pet store and bought Cas a few things (one of which was a coat that was literally $25) and went home.

So I get home and Bryce is there. He sees my stuff and out of nowhere loses his poo poo. He starts yelling at me saying “You spend way too much money on that dog. He’s got shirts, way too many toys, expensive rear end dog food, and I get jack poo poo. And now you got him a coat? Give me a loving break.”

I explained to him that I bought the coat because I need to take him on walks everyday since the vet said he’s a bit on the heavier side now. His dog food is a necessity so he doesn’t crap everywhere and then he cut me off to say “You couldn’t deal with some dog poo poo for a few months to buy me something with that money?”

And I was so thrown off because I literally got him an expensive watch for Christmas (and other things but that was the big present).

He said that it’s a dog and that he doesn’t need all the poo poo I buy and that the money I spent on the dog stuff could’ve went towards him getting a new coat too since he needed one.

I told him that he has his own job that pays him and to get himself a coat. Cas and I were not responsible in any way for him needing a new coat and it wasn’t my obligation to get him a new one. I was livid. I grabbed Cas, the emergency bag I have packed for both of us, and left (drove to my sisters house) and stayed there for the night and all of today.

Bryce called me and told me to come home so we could fix this but I told him he was being an arrogant rear end in a top hat for assuming I owe him ANYTHING. He then went off about how much of an AH I am and restated all his arguments from last night.

I truly don’t feel like or think I’m the AH and believe I just stood up for myself (and my lovely dog) but I do admit Cas is very spoiled and has lots of stuff that a lot of people would roll their eyes at. And also I feel slightly guilty that when I was shopping I didn’t even think of getting Bryce anything.

AITA?

Edit: I definitely should’ve kicked him out but I was so upset and wanted to be away from him and he was only in his underwear so he would’ve taken a long time to leave. I’m going back tomorrow morning with my sister.

Update: So I’ve talked with my sister and her husband and they told me that the best thing to do right now is stay with them until I get the locks changed. After Bryce blowing up like that when he’s NEVER spoken to me about this, the way he insulted my dog when he knows Cas is my everything, combined with the fact that in the 8 months we’ve been together he has had minor anger/temper issues (they were just never directed at me), I’ve decided I’m going to end things. Especially after seeing your comments about him possibly hurting Cas, that’s not a chance I’m willing to take. It’s 2:30 AM right now so I’ll be arranging my locks to get changed when the store opens and I’ll be calling Bryce to inform him. Thank you guys so much for you opinions. I genuinely wouldn’t have even thought about the fact he could hurt Cas via his food or saying he ran away so I’m beyond grateful ❤️

I don't know where these spines are coming from, but I like this sudden change in these stories.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, anyone even hints that they are gonna hurt my pets and they are gone before they even know it's happening.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

UPDATE: AITA for telling my daughter that her not wanting kids is why I wanted to have more children

quote:

So I wasn't going to do an update but my husband told me I should since I was voted rear end in a top hat.

I ended up having a talk with Kiara and I told her I never should have said what I did and I was wrong. Like many of you said I clarified what I meant and told her she is my everything. I told her that I did not want kids for grandkids but just for our family to grow but I would rather be there for her than focus on a baby myself. I told her I did not mean to put pressure on her because I have my own dislike for no generation gap because of my extended family in my home country. She gave me a smile and told me she forgived me and was sorry for what she said so I forgave her too.

She told me she was willing to see the psychologist now if I would go with her so I said I would and we booked sessions for after New Years. But I still asked why she was having the baby when she did not want any. This time she was willing to talk. She admitted that seeing all her friends get married and have babies and being so happy made her feel jealous and she had changed her mind. She got off birth control because of hormone issues and did not mean to get pregnant but when she did she decided to keep it. She said she was lying to me during pregnancy about not wanting to be pregnant because she felt like she was being a burden and felt she needed to push us all away. That did not make sense to me but I said we will talk to the psychologist about it because she will know best.

She admitted that she made up an argument and broke up with her fiancee because she felt like she was trapping him with a baby and he deserved better. She let me see their texts and it is just him checking on her and her ignoring him. She told me she did not tell him she miscarried and is scared she will lose him forever if she does. I went with her the day after to talk to him and helped her explain the situation. He forgave her and they agreed to start fresh as long as they also go to the counseling.

Since then everything has been going good at home again. Kiara seems happier and had fun at our small Christmas party with her fiancee. My husband and I also discussed maybe foster or adopting an older child since Kiara and her fiancee both announced at the party they will have kids.

So thank you for teaching me the right way to say what I meant seeing my baby happy again means more to me than anything.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

DoubleNegative posted:

I literally got him an expensive watch for Christmas (and other things but that was the big present).

It's not enough that my well-off girlfriend provide me with food, shelter, and an expensive watch. She'd better not spend any money on anything but me!

Did he consider... asking her for a coat? "Hey hon the zipper on my coat is busted, but I'm out of money for reasons. Could you help me get a new coat?" She bought a coat for her little dog she loves, I don't see her turning down a polite request so her boyfriend can stay warm.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't know where these spines are coming from, but I like this sudden change in these stories.

grown man in his underwear complaining about his lack of a coat would be a hilarious if it wasn't for the threats to the animal stuff.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for customising my burger

quote:

For my niece's (my sister's child) 10th birthday a few days ago we went to a restaurant. I am pretty picky about food so I thought it would be easier rather than complain about the burger place she wanted to go to I'd just take along some of my own stuff.

The actual meat is okay but they do horrible over sweet brioche and fancy named complex burgers and it makes the food basically inedible it's so disgusting. I ordered their most basic burger with just some lettuce and had brought my own bread, some cheese and some BBQ sauce.

Nobody said anything at the time, none of the staff cared and honestly I think the guys at the next table were pretty jealous but afterwards my sister told me I was being a total rear end in a top hat and ruined the evening and drew all of the attention away from my niece on her birthday. My niece didn't seem unhappy, basically nobody commented beyond "haha don't you want one of these fancy burgers". I got to eat food that was actually edible and I don't think I was being an rear end in a top hat but idk. Was my sister just being weird or does she have a point?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for getting my job back to get out of taking care of my husband's autistic niece?

quote:

My husband (30M) became the legal guardian to his sister's daughter (17F) two months ago. She lost her single mom last year. My in-laws took her in but they were too old. That was when my husband became her legal guardian despite my concerns. He told me that he would take care of her completely.

We got married a year ago after 15 years of dating. I had a very successful career in a very physically and mentally demanding field. I had to travel a lot. We wanted to start a family and I agreed to be a stay at home mom. I quit my job few months into the marriage when I got pregnant. Sadly, I had a miscarriage. Then his sister died and everything is on hold. In the mean time, I took a part time job in a related field which allows remote work so that I am not bored out of my mind.

My SIL was a nurse. She quit her job to take care of her daughter full time. Her daughter has a variety of issues including non-verbal autism, a series of development disorder like dyslexia and severe sensory issues.

My husband says that he does most of the work. But he doesn't. Since I am working from home part time most of the caretaking falls to me. She gets angry and has meltdowns all the time. She doesn't like the food I make and most of the time she ends up throwing to food at the floor or at me. I am at my wits end and it is just so emotionally exhausting.

Around Dec 15, my husband was working late and asked me take care of dinner. She is very picky about food. The slightest change in texture or taste from what she is used to can cause a meltdown. She threw the plate at my feet and I ended up bleeding. At that point, I called my husband and asked him to be home asap. He said he wouldn't be able to. I went up to my room and told him I am not dealing with this anymore. He came hours later and she was still crying. He was absolutely furious at me. He called he heartless and irresponsible. I told his I have had enough of both of their ungrateful behaviour and told him that I am going to my mom's and I wouldn't be back until New Year's.

He panicked and tried to apologise but I left. He called me everyday asking me to come back. I finally came back and he told me that my stunt had forced him to all available leaves to stay home with her. He told me that he was glad I was back. I told him that I contacted my former company and got my old job back and it starts next Monday. It is in-office and requires lot of travel. He asked me who was supposed to stay at home as she cannot be left alone, he has no more leaves and full-time caretakers are too expensive. I told him he promised to take care of everything when he became her guardian and that it was his problem.

As you can guess, my family supports me and his family thinks I am being extremely selfish. So I am asking judgement from impartial strangers.

AITA in this situation?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting my job back to get out of taking care of my husband's autistic niece?
This is just sad.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for choosing going to college, over my boyfriend, upsetting my cousin by doing it?

quote:

I am transferring to a college outside my country to finish my degree, it's a great opportunity and one that I never doubted I would take even if I was in a committed relationship. Well, I'm in a relationship and I love my bf dearly and we're going to try long distance since we can divide like 5 visits to each other between the two of us, plus, he is studying to get his second degree, while working and developing a new company.

So, I told this to my family in a NYE dinner since they asked, and my cousin (33f), started trashing my decision, telling me that I must not love my bf since I'm choosing college abroad over him, and a bunch of other stuff. At some point I just didn't even acknowledge what she was saying, and this got her angry and she said how much I would regret it in the future, that my longterm relationship should be my priority and I will regret ruining it.

I just looked at her and said "like you regret sacrificing having children bc your husband didn't want them and now you go around weeping when a family member has a baby?"

Well, that was pretty self explanatory of her situation. She always wanted children and she gave that up to be with her husband and now she suffers deeply everytime someone in the family has a baby (she doesn't trest them badly, but it is equally annoying how she asks to meet the child, just to start crying anytime she picks him/her up, ends upt making it about her and her "great sacrifice for love").

Anyhow, she got pretty mad, said that I had no idea what true love is and that you reach compromises when you do meet someone you truly love. I just answered that you shouldn't give up your longterm dreams and hopes for the future for someone, and that she was naive bc she got in a relationship with her now husband even after knowing he wanted no kids, she thought she could convince him. I told her that "true love" doesn't stick around so you change your personal goals or beliefs.

Long story short, the family is divided since I just defended myself, but I knew that was a sore spot for her, but I was just done with her talking poo poo about me for choosing my education as my priority.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The entire family is happy to come out of the woodwork to call the OP selfish, but none of them are doing anything to provide for the child themselves. Weird how those things always go together.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for customising my burger

Boy that guy at the other table must have been wishing he could have paid to eat a burger on Wonder Bread and topped with Sweet Baby Ray's.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You're a grown man just eat the burger

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i dont get why you would ever take that guy to a restaurant. who the gently caress cares if an uncle is at a kids birthday party or not. uncles aunts and cousins dont hit the "invitation no matter what" tier :colbert:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Chad Jihad posted:

You're a grown man just eat the burger

from the title i was thinking that it was going to be one of those situations where the op was brought a burger with cheese after asking for it without and someone at the table got mad when he asked for it to be fixed. instead the op is just some weird :spergin: food snob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for watching and doing nothing to help my husband when he was extremely ill?

quote:

while grinning at me.

AAAAAAAAAAGH gently caress this guy. Not just doing the thing like a stubborn rear end, but rubbing it in with a grin, like "Haha, I know I'm ruining your day and I love it! You KNOW you'll take care of me!"

Glad she didn't.