Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
will i get a dumptruck rear end by the time i complete the trail?

quote:

it is NOT my main reason for hiking. i know people talk about trail legs, which makes me think of quads and calves, which are great. getting a massive rear end is NOT my main reason for hiking. but in your experience, does hiking the pct result in a significant growth of the gluts? i have OTHER reasons for wanting to hike the pct, having a world class butt is NOT the main reason.

i’m just curious if anyone has had this experience? having a dump truck rear end is not the reason i am hiking.

edit: i’m NOT hiking the pct to get a massive rear end there are a lot of other reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Runcible Cat posted:

Has anyone else seen Volere Volare? It's a hoot. The woman the hero's in love with is a sex worker and among her clients are a couple who take turns pretending to be dead while the other and her mourn as dramatically as possible, threaten to kill themselves because they can't go on living alone etc etc. So obviously the OP and gf need to open their relationship to include another mourner.
Is this the sequel to Dellamorte Dellamore?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
LOL, if they pulled that poo poo on me I'd...

mllaneza posted:

It's also Virginia, one of the absolutely most dangerous states to try this in given local gun culture.
...Yep. It sure is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Puppy Time posted:

I don't understand how you can believe in the Evil Eye and not already know at least one traditional talisman to repel it. There's like a zillion of them!
It would be pretty funny if it turns out that magic exists, but it's easily nullified by carpets and glass beads. Next time astronauts go to the moon, they should just leave a nazar up there, in case some witches try to hex it again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

As far as subs not to waste your time with, despite our legacy title, I very seldom find good content in r/relationships. Most of the posts there are boring, and the ones that aren't are just straight up abuse, which we thankfully don't post here anymore. I also avoid justnomil, estrangedparents, or raisedbynarcissists. Aside from their impenetrable nomenclature, naming all the characters single initials and enforced use of a zillion stupid acronyms, the stories themselves are really long and not that interesting.
It's really, really hard to read stories about characters named A, B, C, and D. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's just really hard to scan.

cumshitter posted:

The trick to drinking at work is to take iron wool to the outside of your tallboy of Steel Reserve and remove all the markings.
That sounds like a lot more work than pouring your booze into an empty bottle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

my last office had a case of Peronis gathering dust in the breakroom for years because everyone there had the basic sense to know a trap when they see one and was somehow able to resist the siren call of day-drinking with the accounting lady long enough to make it home before getting blasted. But uh I'm glad for your office culture of rubes and alcoholics too
I was gonna say--the problem with free booze at work is that your employer can always accuse you of being a drunk and fire you with cause, and how are you going to fight that? I think of this guy's story whenever the perks of a stereotypical startup environment come up.

And Peroni is not very good, in my opinion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If your plan is to be able to deny that you knew you were drinking booze, from the can that you bought and brought to work...well, I've never worked for anyone that stupid, but vaya con Dios.

Edit: One time I bought drinks for work, and the ginger beer was so spicy that some people just assumed they were tasting alcohol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sneaking a drink at work is fun; of course it's a problem when it becomes a way of life.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Occasionally, when an otherwise interesting post from aita or something uses initials for character names as its only flaw, I will just make up names for the characters (and put a note in the post for posterity obvs) but with the subs I listed, there's so much just dross and bullshit, it makes it impossible to quickly tweak without rewriting the whole story, and life's too short.
We used to have a thread in Trad Games about making fun of people for being douchebags about Dungeons & Dragons. Some of the relevant forums were so deep in jargon they'd created that it was impossible to make head or tail of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

Guys, cumshitter is joking, you can break up the intervention now, lol.
Intervention, hell, I'm just saying put it in a Camelbak.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In a relationship like that there's nothing you can do. Except drive her into the woods and leave her to the raccoons.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I once worked at a chemical distribution company where the new hire was a guy in his forties that I saw drinking hand sanitizer.

I ended up pushing for him to be fired once he started asking about the alcohol content in our products.
I feel bad for that guy and I hope HR got him help instead of just showing him the door. I wouldn't want someone dying from eating Sterno on my watch either, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA I refused to share diet with my pregnant wife
You're a fitness trainer, rear end in a top hat! Just gorge yourself on ridiculous amounts of protein when she's not around; you're used to it!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Fentiman's? That one goes straight to my sinuses and is a bit staggering for the first sip of the bottle.
Maine Root. I swear, I think they cheat and put a little cayenne in it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tetramin posted:

I was at my GFs cousins wedding where there was a bar but half of the family doesn’t drink due to their religion and we brought a bunch of cokes + grenadine over to our table for them and a couple of them thought that was booze lol.
That's a Roy Rogers. A mocktail for little kids. (By all means have fun drinking it, it's just hilarious that they thought red syrup was whiskey.)

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what's it called when it's not quite a laugh, but a wheeze of exhausted recognition?
Technically, a guffaw.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neito posted:

Pop culture has told me thousands of times that "guys don't make passes at girls that wear glasses", but I've literally never found this to be true. Are there really people out there who think that glasses look bad?
The only time I've been asked to take my glasses off for a photo is when my Coke bottle lenses created too much glare. (It also creates a weird effect where my eyes appear smaller, like someone did a Charlie Kirk meme.)

So my ID photo shows me staring into space like I just crawled out of a wrecked car.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Perhaps the most frustrating thing about meddling parents is that they have a phone book length list of reasons why they're entitled to be like this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for saying my ex looked exactly the same when he was wearing devil horns?
The cool thing about breaking up with your whiny manbaby ex is that you don't have to care about his stupid feelings anymore!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I played roleplaying games with people in their 30s (and 40s, 50s, and 60s) when I was a teenager, but in a gaming store, not at a house party with booze.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

That said, I think it’s interesting that dude is totally ok with his gf’s hobbies, but reeeaaaallly wants to beat up dudes with the same hobbies (albeit more obnoxiously). This whole thing stinks of toxic masculinity imo, with women allowed to be childish while men must be MEN.
"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my girlfriend's Gundam and turn Otakon into Otashit

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My take on the Kidney Affair is that both women and their entire circle of friends should be hurled into an active volcano.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yeah eventually neighbor is going to either a) lawyer up for real or b) shoot you and/or your dog
That sounds dangerous and expensive when I have a perfectly good water hose and the speakers are right there on the other side of the fence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think everyone involved needs to log off and walk away.
Like I said, I think Dawn and Sonya should be left alone to work this out between the two of them, in an active volcano.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I will say AITA has a god drat hate on for addicts, just in general, though. I'm not saying all addicts are Great People and It's Not Their Fault, but they seriously loving hate addicts there and anything you do to them is justified by virtue of them having an addiction.
Seconding this, I've seen it in action many times. In this particular case, the stuff Joan did was incredibly mild by the standards of opioid addiction. I was expecting theft, violence, etc. but no, she got sick and made a scene at some family events she was dragged to. Unfuckingbelievable.

While all this talk of opioids being too easy or too hard to get ahold of, depending, my spouse has recovered from surgery without using the opioids they were prescribed because they're afraid of the addictive potential. It's been gut-wrenching at times.

Dongsturm posted:

I have no idea what is going on here, but I'm going to guess that anyone who holds onto a grudge gives a poo poo about their high school graduation ceremony for 10+ years is probably the real psycho.
And like you said--I don't look down on people in dire straits, but maybe the sister who still lives at home in her 30s is the one who's being coddled, not the one who developed a painkiller addiction after a serious accident.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 25, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Scaevolus posted:

AITA for telling my GF's daughter she's not my daughter so don't expect me to pay?
LOL what loving anime do these names come from?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for accidently causing a kid to be outed to his parents?
I'm really not getting the hate for this guy. He did the decent thing by not outing a kid with a homophobic dad, but made the mistake of telling his daughter to try to prevent a blow-up, which backfired spectacularly. The problem here is that his daughter is so hurt by her crush being gay that she had a public meltdown which landed everyone involved in the principal's office. What's up with that?

As always,

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Take the money, be gay, do crime.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 25, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

spouse posted:

Why are self-described "picky eaters" always people who exist solely in the realm of fast food and packaged poo poo? I'm very curious about non-American picky eaters now. Is there cadre of picky Frenchmen who just plow through baguettes all day, nutritional macros be damned?
Adult picky eaters start as child picky eaters that never get treated, and they pretty much always fixate on the kinds of bland, processed food that are often fed to young children--chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, peanut butter, French fries, Chef Boyardee, etc.

I would gladly bet money that Adult Picky Eaters are much more common in the United States than in France.

Scaevolus posted:

My [28F] boyfriend of 4 years [38M] lied about a massive financial secret.
Y'know, if he doesn't make a lot of money, it might not be as bad as she thinks. He absolutely needs to file returns, but he may have little or no income tax liability.

Now, when my grandfather died, we found out that he'd been deferring his income taxes for the last decade of his life. That wasn't great.

DoubleNegative posted:

There was a post in the previous thread that talked about parents shoving kids and stepkids together like action figures to try and spontaneously create a relationship. Here we see the same thing from the outside.
My mother accidentally "gave" me a boyfriend once. That was not fun to deal with.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 25, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

Even if berth el pup is fake most of us probably have known someone who got addicted to their kink to the point it became socially and interpersonally toxic.
Dan Savage (who sucks) has gotten a lot of letters like this. It's sad when someone finds a partner willing to fulfill their fetish, then fucks it up by being selfish.

Baronjutter posted:

What sort of person waits hours for someone who's late? 10 min? 15 min? maybe 30 if they let you know they're running late but still coming. But hours!!?
Well, if I'm meeting you at a bar and you don't show up, it's still a bar. Sometimes it's nice to drink and read outside the home.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

spouse posted:

Edit: my guess before I Google it is that he's got some weird antitrans poo poo, because it's always that.
Pretty much exactly that, yeah. I stopped reading when he started throwing "tranny" around liberally in responses, and I haven't kept up with ever little controversy around him since then, but yeah.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 25, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

cumshitter posted:

That reminds me of one of my favorites, which was the exact opposite. The parents told their weirdo neighbor about an upcoming trip to Europe and their child asked if the neighbor could come. Neighbor took this invitation from a 4 year old 100% seriously and the parents were giant doormats who couldn't say no. Neighbor then goes on to dominate the vacation and their itinerary.
Isn't that the plot of Captain Ron?

quote:

Hell, the IRS probably owes him money. The IRS will not come and force a refund into your hands.
Yeah, I stupidly forgot to file state returns for a couple years, and they didn't bother me about it because they owed me like 50 bucks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Remember Olestra?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

does anyone in the thread want to co-sign a loan with me? It would be for a boat. The boat will be mine but if you come over you can ride on it with me
I'll give you these eyes I found for half the boat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Xun posted:

Spooky scary period products :ghost:
She definitely dodged a bullet.

therobit posted:

LOL I am not sure high school kids should be introduced to the concept of a mental health day. Like, if you are so bad off you just can’t then pull a sickie or cut class and go smoke at t he board next to the river, but letting them know that at any point they cannot plead mental health and get a pass is not knowledge I’d trust a high school kid with.
To paraphrase Matt Bruenig, if there's a magic button that forces everyone to agree with you, everyone will press it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I Googled it and all I got was an episode of The Man from UNCLE. I can only guess that they're, like, Mormons or the kind of people who convert to Catholicism in their 20s and it was a chaste online romance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

rotinaj posted:

This person knows that their girlfriend isn’t marrying their mother, right
Yes, she is, she just realized it and it's why she wants to break up

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

WARNING: Dead Pet Ahead!

My [22 F] boyfriend's​ [22 M] brother [19M] is responsible for the death of his pet parrot, boyfriend will be home in a week and on the warpath.

If my brother deliberately killed one of my parrots I would absolutely break both of his arms and legs. If if was due to stupid indifference I might be satisfied with just the arms.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

trickybiscuits posted:

Let's see what estranged parents are up to!

Sometimes after reading these things I feel like my brain is bleeding.
The most striking thing to me isn't even the narcissism on display, it's the word salad. One sentence doesn't really lead to the next, and each paragraph is a pile of disjointed thoughts.

Barudak posted:

most modern boy bands out of Korea and China and such have designated roles that are publicly stated like "the singer" "the rapper" "the dancer" "the interviewer" and "the gimmick" so I feel like young men should figure out which of these archetypes they align with.
Whichever one gives me the most hit points and highest attack bonus.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When people say that we need to reduce the debt/deficit, what they mean is that they want to cut social spending. Of course they have no understanding of the actual accounting involved.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's still stunning to me that people can not only blow thousands and thousands of dollars on toys, they can blow it on virtual toys in video games that will eventually vanish.
Coolranchred.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Gwydre and llacheu are also Hella good names, and I feel like Welsh is honestly the best language for names.
Is there some kind of G and W glut that the UK is trying to unload?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 29, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

People think I'm [23/M] either trans or gay because I choose female characters/avatars in video games
Can't make an omelette...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You look mighty cute in them jeans, Leon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

When video games don't give you a choice, you're almost always going to play as a man, human, white, and aged 17 to 35. When a game gives me options I'll opt for something other than what I'm used to.
For Japanese games, multiply age by 0.6.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Treat this woman like a goddess and throw her off of a waterfall

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Breetai posted:

The Boss in Saint's Row 3 is canonically a super buff black lady in a business suit with a Russian accent to me because why make a generic white dude who looks like me when I could make something more interesting in my power fantasy about bitchslapping gang members with a 4 foot long purple floppy dong?
Jokerfied Amanda Waller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
AITA for ruining my fiancé's DND game?

quote:

My fiancé (29 M) plays DnD, and while it's not my (31 F) thing, I obviously don't mind. He's a bit anxious and doesn't easily make friends. He was so excited when he joined a DnD group and met new people. I like the group members, except for Chris who's kind of frat-ish. He constantly makes disparaging "jokes" about his wife. He calls her "the Old Ball and Chain" unironically and says poo poo like, "I gotta call the Warden and ask for permission first." I don't know why a twenty-something man talks like a 1950s oil tycoon, but here we are. He also doesn't contribute when people bring communal snacks to DnD.

Which brings me to my point. I don't drink often, but I will sometimes buy a nice (~$50) bottle of vodka. A serving on the rocks makes me feel like an adult in a way I can neither explain nor justify. When we have guests over, we set out assorted drinks/snacks/etc. If they want something specific, they have to bring it or ask.

Awhile ago, Fiancé held a DnD session at our house. I greeted everyone and then made myself scarce. Later, I came out only to find Chris in our kitchen, opening my new vodka. I told him, "Hey, I thought we told you, but you're supposed to ask first. That's not for guests. It's a bit pricey."

Instead of addressing me, Chris turned to Fiancé and said, "What's hers is yours, right? Welcome to marriage!" I was floored. Chris then said, "You don't mind me having some, right?" And poured before I could answer. The group was waiting on him to resume playing, so I let it go (my first mistake, for those keeping score.) After everyone left, Fiancé confirmed that Chris hadn't asked him either before taking my vodka.

This past weekend, DnD happened again. I came out to get some water, and Chris was once again helping himself to my vodka. But here's what totally broke my brain: Chris had BYOB'd, and yet he was still drinking mine.

I marched right over and complained. Chris either ignored me or didn't hear, so I asked why he was taking mine when he'd brought his own. He said mine was "nicer" and "You don't have to be such a bitch about it. It's a little vodka. Are you an alcoholic or are you just cheap?"

I told him to leave. Not politely. Chris kept saying "this is bullshit" over and over, collected his stuff, and stormed out. After, things were very awkward. The group agreed he shouldn't have called me a bitch, but well ... Chris was the DM. I don't know a lot about DnD, but without him, there's no game. They have to either keep playing somewhere else with him or start a new campaign that excludes him. Everyone asked me if he's banished forever or if he can come back to our house, and I didn't know what to tell them. I would let Chris back if he apologized, but somehow I don't think I should hold my breath.

I feel really bad. Fiancé was so excited about this game, and I may have ended it. Fiancé supports me, ftr, but he's worried Chris will cause future problems. AITA?