Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

The CIA thing is interesting because the best places to discuss topics like that currently in practice tend not to be D&D or CSPAM, like LatwPiat's recent effort post in TFR is the kind of post that's not really possible or all that welcome by a vocal minority of posters in D&D, but in a completely different subforum these posts get made by passionate interested people and actual discussion that's really interesting can actually happen.

Right, but that's the argument that keeps happening.

Hm? Nothing about that post looks like it wouldn't be welcome in D&D. CSPAM wouldn't give a poo poo because nobody who regularly posts in CSPAM is going to bother to effortpost on the validity of a very specific book about a very specific topic when the takehome is "the CIA didn't do a horrible thing," but there have been a good number of history effortposts in both forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I thought my point of "D&D will never be a calm debate space due to the innate hostility between leftists and liberals" was going to be harder to prove, but then we had liberals falling over themselves to defend the legitimacy of an organization which kills leftists. We even had one poster concoct a scenario to get mad about where he imagined that I would say "gently caress joe biden for not dismantling it yesterday".

The prosecution rests.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bishyaler posted:

I thought my point of "D&D will never be a calm debate space due to the innate hostility between leftists and liberals" was going to be harder to prove, but then we had liberals falling over themselves to defend the legitimacy of an organization which kills leftists. We even had one poster concoct a scenario to get mad about where he imagined that I would say "gently caress joe biden for not dismantling it yesterday".

The prosecution rests.

who is saying "the CIA is good"???? jesus

we can't even have a pedantic discussion about word definition without someone shouting THIS MEANS YOU SUPPORT MURDERERS OF LEFTISTS

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Main Paineframe posted:

who is saying "the CIA is good"???? jesus

we can't even have a pedantic discussion about word definition without someone shouting THIS MEANS YOU SUPPORT MURDERERS OF LEFTISTS

The poster you're quoting was banned from D&D after this absolutely psycho post:

Bishyaler posted:

I'm starting to understand why leftist revolutions shot so many people. Half those D&D posters would be against a wall before they finished their first smug diatribe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The prosecution rests.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bishyaler posted:

The prosecution rests.

Remember, the conversation wasn't only about whether the CIA performs intelligence activities in addition to its crimes (which no one disputed.) It also involved claims that crimes by non-CIA intelligence agencies don't count because reasons.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bishyaler posted:

The prosecution rests.

This is not an argument anyone made and a perfect example about how someone tries their best to warp a conversation into an attack on their enemies.

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm actually really offended by this post's implication and it perfectly sums up the ridiculously corrosive effect that dnd's draconian moderation has on conversations. My rap sheet has a series of probes in which mods punished what they believed were low-effort or white noise posting. I'm not going to spend too much effort to argue with a sixer, and most of them were indeed sixers. Then those sixers became proof of me being a bad faith poster, and what would be a sixer offense became a 3 day offense. Suddenly, I was a habitually bad faith poster, and mods used their own actions as evidence that I needed to be more harshly punished.

The long and short of it is that it pretty much drove me to stop posting in dnd for months, and even now that I have returned i post much, much less. And even now, my "pattern" of posting low effort posts worthy of sixers is used to cite me, out of the blue, as a spreader of disinformation worthy of contempt.

seriously, are you all trying to make this place as closed off as possible?

You literally posted misleading articles or ones you didn't even read because they make the opposite point you claim they did several times a week for months every single time it derailed the thread as everyone had to explain your own article to you, how does that not make you a habitually bad faith poster, hell the mods were simply asking you half the time to read the article and explain why you were posting it but that seemed too much for you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Hm? Nothing about that post looks like it wouldn't be welcome in D&D. CSPAM wouldn't give a poo poo because nobody who regularly posts in CSPAM is going to bother to effortpost on the validity of a very specific book about a very specific topic when the takehome is "the CIA didn't do a horrible thing," but there have been a good number of history effortposts in both forums.

I didn't say it wouldn't be welcome in D&D; but like the Media Literacy thread, someone going for a more in depth and nuanced analysis of the organization will result in ruffled feathers.

Bishyaler posted:

The prosecution rests.

I think this is a pretty good example of a fairly toxic post; because it isn't quoting or responding to anyone in particular; its referring to an overly broad generalization of posting enemies without being specific; it's misrepresenting the views of some of the powers, and seems to have settled on the most uncharitable interpretation of an exchange; and then did all of this in order to grand stand and engage in oppression olympics as the implied accusation here is their posting enemies are fine with harm being inflicted to their in-group.

e:

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The poster you're quoting was banned from D&D after this absolutely psycho post:

The prosecution rests.

That post TWT quotes is exactly why my hackles rise whenever some posters try to gatekeep who is or isn't on the left, for that reason.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 30, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'This forum will never be a calm debate space because of my white hot hatred for anyone an inch to the right of me' is one hell of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

e: but I do think it basically hones in on the real problem

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

One major issue is that liberals and leftists have some big and very irreconcilable core ideological differences, which gets compounded by many liberals identifying as leftist(and labeling leftists as fringe extremists) and can end up with new leftists thinking they're liberals and oh lord it's a huge clusterfuck.

Not helping is the consistent labeling of these core differences as petty disagreements, like the weird "strange that you dislike someone who agrees with you on most things" arguments

I don't actually know how to sort though that tangle though, it's a fuckin mess

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

This is not an argument anyone made and a perfect example about how someone tries their best to warp a conversation into an attack on their enemies.

You literally posted misleading articles or ones you didn't even read because they make the opposite point you claim they did several times a week for months every single time it derailed the thread as everyone had to explain your own article to you, how does that not make you a habitually bad faith poster, hell the mods were simply asking you half the time to read the article and explain why you were posting it but that seemed too much for you.

Mods, this is the environment you have created. I made low effort posts, and a good deal of them were bad, I do not deny. Now I am irrevocably cast as "bad faith", and it is extremely cool and good to attack me out of the blue. Is it any wonder fewer and fewer people want to post here?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 30, 2021

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

The prosecution rests.

So what's worse, the real actual violence carried out by the CIA or the imagined violence in my head? I'm going with the first one.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

Bishyaler posted:

So what's worse, the real actual violence carried out by the CIA or the imagined violence in my head? I'm going with the first one.

Doesn't seem relevant to this thread.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Koos Group posted:

Doesn't seem relevant to this thread.

Perhaps it isn't, but I'm not super thrilled with ad-hominem attacks in response to my argument.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bishyaler posted:

Are Mensheviks, "capitalist roaders" and Trots also only in your head?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

One major issue is that liberals and leftists have some big and very irreconcilable core differences, which gets compounded by many liberals identifying as leftist(and labeling leftists as fringe extremists) and can end up with new leftists thinking they're liberals and oh lord it's a huge clusterfuck.

Not helping is the consistent labeling of these core differences as petty disagreements, like the weird "strange that you dislike someone who agrees with you on most things" arguments

This is a good observation. One irreconcilable difference I can think of right off the bat that lies at the root of most heated disagreements today is the insistence of leftists that Democrats (especially Biden) should just flat out ignore laws they don't like (because it's what Republicans do when they are in power). When they get pushback from D&D regulars, they get increasingly more frustrated and that sometimes results in a probation.

Essentially, one side believes that ends justify the means and the other doesn't. It's a fundamental disconnect that has no solution.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yinlock posted:

One major issue is that liberals and leftists have some big and very irreconcilable core ideological differences, which gets compounded by many liberals identifying as leftist(and labeling leftists as fringe extremists) and can end up with new leftists thinking they're liberals and oh lord it's a huge clusterfuck.

Want to repost this portion of a prior response, bc it really lays out the issue clearly:

Ytlaya posted:

The best example of this is the fact that someone could make the exact same posts in the succ zone thread and USNews and only be perceived as "acting like an rear end in a top hat" in the latter (with the reasoning that they should have known that their opinions would annoy/anger other posters in that context). In the same way as a liberal USNews poster has an understanding of politics that results in their casual chat being dismissive or mocking towards Republicans/Trump supporters, the same is true for leftists, only with the umbrella also encompassing Democrats/liberals. So there's a fundamental conflict between genuine views; just like a liberal USNews poster isn't posting in "bad faith" when they talk about disliking chuds, the same is true for some leftist who dislikes your average liberal.

This is why the "why can't everyone just casually/politely discuss politics" stuff doesn't make any sense. "Casual/friendly politics chat" among liberals includes the understanding that Republicans are stupid and bad and that electing Democrats is important. It's only casual/friendly under the assumption that you're talking with people who share your worldview; a Republican likely wouldn't consider it to be casual and friendly. You'd obviously have a very hard time somehow enforcing a USNews thread where people weren't allowed to show contempt towards chuds. In the same way, "casual/friendly politics chat" among leftists includes beliefs that are dismissive/offensive towards Democrats/liberals. For some reason many people seem incapable of comprehending that someone could genuinely have such a perspective and aren't simply acting out of a desire to troll the libs (this is probably also why you have some people who believe the succ zone thread exists entirely as a staging ground for making attacks on D&D or something similarly bizarre - the idea that this could just be the normal way we talk about this stuff seems to be incomprehensible to them).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

The CIA thing is interesting because the best places to discuss topics like that currently in practice tend not to be D&D or CSPAM, like LatwPiat's recent effort post in TFR is the kind of post that's not really possible or all that welcome by a vocal minority of posters in D&D, but in a completely different subforum these posts get made by passionate interested people and actual discussion that's really interesting can actually happen.

TFR is a shitshow in its own way, though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yinlock posted:

Maybe the leftists you keep calling liberals don't like being mislabeled? Maybe you aren't the sole arbiter of what makes a person a leftist and people get annoyed when you rush to give them a label so you can hate on them?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Leftists annoying other leftists by labeling them as liberals is a phenomenon as old as leftism.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Liberals calling themselves leftists for various reasons is a thing that happens. Leftists calling leftists liberals for disagreements right down to because they have priorities #4 and #5 backwards on their top ten list is a thing that happens. So is leftists calling leftists "liberals" because they're embarrassing to be associated with for reasons not actually dependent on their ideology. None of them are particularly rare things, even, and were well-tread ground years before this forum birthed its first political slapfight. That's part of why arguing the label is always gonna be dumb.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe the leftists you keep calling liberals don't like being mislabeled? Maybe you aren't the sole arbiter of what makes a person a leftist and people get annoyed when you rush to give them a label so you can hate on them?

Could you clarify where you got these assumptions from? I was not specifying anyone in particular and did not mean to offend you.

Killer robot posted:

Liberals calling themselves leftists for various reasons is a thing that happens. Leftists calling leftists liberals for disagreements right down to because they have priorities #4 and #5 backwards on their top ten list is a thing that happens. So is leftists calling leftists "liberals" because they're embarrassing to be associated with for reasons not actually dependent on their ideology. None of them are particularly rare things, even, and were well-tread ground years before this forum birthed its first political slapfight. That's part of why arguing the label is always gonna be dumb.

It might be a difference of priority #4 and #5 to one person, but a huge deal to another. My main problem with the "we agree on most things" argument is that the oft-unspoken disagreement can be very substantial.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 30, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cease to Hope posted:

Leftists annoying other leftists by labeling them as liberals is a phenomenon as old as leftism.

Purity purges never end. Once one is done another one starts with a new definition of insufficiently pure.

This thread and the past feedback threads are just the latest bits of evidence on a mountainous pile.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cease to Hope posted:

The fact that the "D&D clique" is failing to do this calls into question their leftist credentials.

But seriously, instead of dancing around this subject for months(/years?), how about people just lay out their political views in a concise manner so people can interrogate those? Being evasive about your actual views just results in a bunch of innocent strawmen getting massacred.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yinlock posted:

It might be a difference of priority #4 and #5 to one person, but a huge deal to another. My main problem with the "we agree on most things" argument is that the oft-unspoken disagreement can be very substantial.

Believe me I hate the "we agree on most things" argument too, but the solution in that case is to interrogate those differences instead of just declaring an insurmountable gulf exists. State your beliefs clearly, argue with other peoples' stated beliefs. Don't let labels do the talking.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fool of sound posted:

Believe me I hate the "we agree on most things" argument too, but the solution in that case is to interrogate those differences instead of just declaring an insurmountable gulf exists. State your beliefs clearly, argue with other peoples' stated beliefs. Don't let labels do the talking.
Gonna ask again, since it seems relevant: How hard do you think it's appropriate to push people on this? Some people wear their ideology on their sleeves, while others seem a bit more cagey about theirs. It's hard to argue someone's beliefs if they don't want to make them clear.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

fool of sound posted:

Not if the goal of the user is to ruin discussion or abuse others. In that case, being vague and saying discussion of specifics is pointless, or tossing out deliver inflammatory falsehoods, is highly effective… unless the people doing it are stopped by the people with the responsibility of doing so.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cease to Hope posted:

You liberals always say this to divide leftists!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that the "D&D clique" is failing to do this calls into question their leftist credentials.

But seriously, instead of dancing around this subject for months(/years?), how about people just lay out their political views in a concise manner so people can interrogate those? Being evasive about your actual views just results in a bunch of innocent strawmen getting massacred.

fool of sound posted:

One problem arises where people are being honest about their beliefs but are accused of having some kind of Secret Agenda, for an example see the mess that led to the creation of the #metoo thread where people(and by people I mean "current moderator GreyjoyBastard") constantly insisted that posters were just pretending to be mad about the Reade situation to own their posting enemies, whatever that means

e: See also any talk of "Virtue Signaling" or "Purity Tests" which I have only ever seen used to excuse heinous poo poo

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 30, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

fool of sound posted:

I mean, the difference between "Dems should govern lawfully" and "Dems should ignore laws they don't like because that's the best way to wield political power" is quite irreconcilable, for example. And every time it comes up it results in flame wars and poo poo gets nasty.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I mean, the difference between "Dems should govern lawfully" and "Dems should ignore laws they don't like because that's the best way to wield political power" is quite irreconcilable, for example. And every time it comes up it results in flame wars and poo poo gets nasty.

It’s also not at all a “leftist” vs “liberal” opinion

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

Could you clarify where you got these assumptions from? I was not specifying anyone in particular and did not mean to offend you.

The difference between the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 and the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 might indeed be substantial to them, but if they consider the other, the Catholic, the Mormon, and the Gnostic all to be equally "heretic" bystanders aren't obligated to treat them all as gravely serious as the speaker.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s also not at all a “leftist” vs “liberal” opinion

I mean when you say blackmailing manchin probably is a bad idea you get labeled a democrat worshipping liberal so it certainly feels that way.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yinlock posted:

One problem arises where people are being honest about their beliefs but are accused of having some kind of Secret Agenda

Another problem arises when people very clearly hold views that most of the thread consider abhorrent, and would probably get them banned. I think those people should probably be banned anyway, but, since it's not happening, it remains a problem.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A question I suppose it prompts is what disagreement is (a) ideologically insurmountable (b) that the majority of D&D holds and (c) Justifies labelling the majority of the users Liberals? (d) Why does this difference matter in regards to moderation? (e) Why does this difference mean respectful discussion can't happen?

If the criticism of the claim that most users agree on 80% of things papers over insurmountable differences then what are they?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's more of a disagreement about fighting fire with fire(or rather if playing by the rules is a good idea when your opponent just ignores them entirely) but yeah there's no reconciling that one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Another problem arises when people very clearly hold views that most of the thread consider abhorrent, and would probably get them banned. I think those people should probably be banned anyway, but, since it's not happening, it remains a problem.

Ignore lists exist for a reason. No one is obligated to respond to an obvious troll. If you can't help your itchy finger from hitting reply to them, blank them out.

The problem with ignore lists is that no one sees the stupid things the trolls say and they never get reported, so the mods think everyone is fine with it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

It's more of a disagreement about fighting fire with fire(or rather if playing by the rules is a good idea when your opponent just ignores them entirely) but yeah there's no reconciling that one.

It doesn't help that "We shouldn't do X because it will undercut our moral high ground and hurt us in the long term despite short-term benefits" and "We shouldn't do X because it will materially fail and we won't even see short term benefits" are frequently treated as synonymous arguments.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

The problem with ignore lists is that no one sees the stupid things the trolls say and they never get reported, so the mods think everyone is fine with it.

If no one sees the troll, they won't successfully derail the conversation, which means no damage is done, so who cares?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

If no one sees the troll, they won't successfully derail the conversation, which means no damage is done, so who cares?

Considering how many people in this very thread were bragging because people ignored fancy pelosi I imagine quite a few

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah, somehow I don't think it's underreporting of trolling that's the problem, as opposed to using a clear definition of it or applying it evenly.