Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

I get salty with people because of personality issues, not because of policy issues, and I'm not really interested in having to-the-death debates about policy issues. I really just want to talk about the news, and I don't want people expressing schadenfreude at my expense. I don't really read CSPAM so this is an honest question - how do people who are, for lack of a better term, "pro-AOC and Bernie Sanders", get along with the posters who are constantly making GBS threads on them? How do you keep that disagreement from spiraling into hostility? Is one side dominant over the other? Does it come down, thread by thread, to just who can shout the loudest?

Maybe part of the reason CSPAM works better than D&D is because there is no "one" megathread, and so people can go post in a thread that is more their speed. (I know that a lot of CSPAM hates the succzone thread, and a lot of the succzone thread hates most of CSPAM, for example.) In D&D, people feel like they're missing out on eyeballs if they're not posting in USNews, so everything ends up in there trying to please everybody and pleasing nobody.

I mean yeah, D&D fights are obviously often about personality and wanting an audience and CSPAM's big "secret" is that they're more inclusive of different thoughts and ideas. You hit the nail on the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Maybe this is asking a lot but could you maybe link an example of a discussion going well in CSPAM that you think would go poorly in D&D? If your answer is "gently caress off, go find one yourself" that's fine.

The entire CSPAM paranormal thread. It's an interesting mix of true believers, people who are looking at paranormal things mostly from a sociological perspective, or don't believe but are interested. I do not think that thread would do well at all in D&D and would quickly become little people showing off how much they don't believe in dumb baby poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I have no idea what goes on in the megathreads (Trump, Climate, Covid, etc) but if you're a lurker reading this who wants to talk about politics and C-SPAM seems too mean or whatever: come post in C-SPAM. It's actually a very good place to post, especially now that thanks to da toe killa the worst and dumbest threads are gone. My favorite is the Marxism thread, which flips seamlessly between friendly and funny shitposting and legitimately insightful analyses and discussions by some incredibly smart and well-read posters

also, w/r/t the thread topic: D&D would kick rear end if every time you wanted to call someone out for denying China carrying out an Uighur genocide you first had to acknowledge:
- America's ongoing genocide of its own black population
- America's ongoing genocide of its indigenous population
- The true nature of the concentration camps at America's southern border
- America's hand in abetting genocides all over the world

I don't think it would fix any problem but it'd be incredibly funny to see the very serious and concerned China hawks have to admit all this before they try to argue it's a good thing to give the pentagon 100 trillion dollars because of the yellow menace or whatever they keep going on about

CSPAM has never told me that my actual beliefs were just me trolling so I'm a lot more willing to post in CSPAM. I feel like that's another big difference between the two. If you believe something dumb CSPAMs attitude tends to be that yes you believe it and also that you're dumb for it. If D&D thinks you have a dumb belief it seems to default to this idea that there's no way you actually think that and you must be making it up to troll people which is honestly a lot more insulting and hostile than just being told it's dumb.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

That's funny, because a lot of people have told me my actual beliefs are trolling the last few days. (The guy who made the post below me, too.)

loquacious, you were a good poster when you posted in D&D (you're always welcome back! :devil:), so I'm not surprised you've taken a sensible, personable approach to posting in CSPAM; thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So you think I'm being insincere in my belief that d&d constantly assumes that disagreements and thinking that doesn't fit into the mainstream is insincere and actually meant to troll them instead of being a person's actual beliefs? At least it's consistent.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

enki42 posted:

Does this depend on thread though? I was going to post that the only threads I really post in in C-SPAM and pay any attention to are the canada one and the COVID one.

The canada one might as well be indistinguishable from the D&D version - I don't really check, but there's probably a huge overlap of posters, the politics are mostly the same (MAYBE you'd get slightly more poo poo on for supporting the NDP in C-SPAM, but that's a big maybe, and it's hardly totally outside the thread consensus. In both threads a liberal supporter would be mocked. CPC is right out.). Maybe the tone is a bit more shitposty, but not by that much.

The COVID thread, I just don't see any diversity of viewpoints at all. I wish the D&D one moved faster, but there's more international viewpoints, there's a range of opinions and more actual discussion. The C-SPAM covid thread on the other hand feels very echo chambery - there's exactly one viewpoint that 95% of posters and 100% of regulars have, and it's extremely US-centric.

Oh totally but even in that regard cspam is more likely to just have 2 threads about the same subject with different opinions while d&d mods traditionally don't like multiple threads like that and are a lot more picky about threads existing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Should there not be a place to post where "Dem party loyalism" (which, to me, is just a pragmatic take on "how do we keep Republicans out of power as much as possible") is acceptable? Where it's not something people get attacked for, or have their opinions, observations or even outright fact-based statements treated as invalid for?

Like, some people are focused on "nobody in power is any good." Some people prefer to discuss "how do we keep the absolute worst people out of power?" Both things should be okay to talk about and I don't think people trying to discuss one should be loving with people trying to discuss the other.

To be clear (this is a common misconception), there's nobody in D&D who doesn't criticize Democrats. We just openly want them to win elections, and we get sad when they don't. I think that's okay and I think there should be a space on this website to discuss things through that framing, because it's a very common political outlook here (and probably the lens through which a lot of SA users would prefer to discuss politics, going by, say, the GBS Trump thread.)

Like, Willa complains that D&D is the "let's laugh at chuds" forum, and sometimes it is, but like, what if I want to laugh at chuds? Again, I feel like the problem is that people are taking D&D much more seriously than it deserves to be taken.

That all seems fine but the label should be fixed than. Call it the laughing at chuds sub instead of d&d. Hell I think an actual debate forum is a dumb and stupid idea and we would be better off of we were just honest they there's a politics forum for the far left and a politics forum for liberals but we should actually be honest about it. If you want a place to laugh at chuds and laugh at wrong think feel free, just call it that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Another good way to post political opinions without anyone having the ability to comment about them is to not do it in public. That is also a suggestion if having people see your opinions and also have opinions is tough. A text message chain or discord is useful if you just want to yuck it up with a couple of close friends who agree with you.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 26, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Sometimes it feels like when people say "the CSPAM thread about [x] is better" they're saying "the CSPAM thread about [x] has less posts that I disagree with."

Or maybe it's more like, "when I see in a post in CSPAM I disagree with, I can respond with 'lmao', but D&D won't let me."

A lot of your problem seems to keep circling back to you being unable to believe the things people tell you at face value. You ask for what people like about cspam, they tell you, and then you decide they they must be lying and actually it's this thing you figured out and that they couldn't figure out about themselves. Maybe just listen to people and believe them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Dude, you're all over the place. Done discussing this with you. Have a nice day :)

How are you this rude to other people without any self awareness?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

While I'm not a fan of CommieGIR "posting through it", as the saying goes, in all fairness they have been attacked relentlessly by dozens of posters for the past week and I can't blame them for getting increasingly more defensive and flippant.

What really needs to be discussed is these coordinated harassment campaigns against D&D mods that certain groups of posters clearly dislike, and the particularly vicious and vile nature of the attacks. It's not a "both sides" issue either. I myself have voiced a ton of criticism against Majorian and the_steve in the past, but I've never accused them of being pedophiles or agents of <intel agency>, for example.

Maybe people should tone down their rhetoric several notches if they actually want to see some positive change.

So the problem is actually your posting enemies?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

literally "no one deserves to be heard unless they are more polite to me and my posting pals"

The D&D/CSPAM divide is just the words " The tone is more important than the message" but in two different tones.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Since none of you fuckwits can apparently abide by the "don't debate each other in this thread" rules, I'm putting down the red hammer: you will be probated for a week if you quote/subtweet a non-mod in this thread, or if you try to cutely circumvent this rule. This rule will go into effect 5 minutes after this is posted. If you're in this thread to wage ideological war with other posters, leave and don't return. If you're here because you love to join every bit of drama that appears on this entire website, autoban yourself and don't return.

Yeah I'll just say it again the most exhausting thing about D&D is the constant rules about good faith while assuming any criticism or disagreement is coming from an insincere place.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Because I'm stupid enough to keep believing that people can discuss changes like reasonable adults instead of overgrown children screaming and throwing fruit in the produce isle and challenging the shift manager to a fight.

fool of sound posted:

Since none of you fuckwits can apparently abide by the "don't debate each other in this thread" rules, I'm putting down the red hammer: you will be probated for a week if you quote/subtweet a non-mod in this thread, or if you try to cutely circumvent this rule. This rule will go into effect 5 minutes after this is posted. If you're in this thread to wage ideological war with other posters, leave and don't return. If you're here because you love to join every bit of drama that appears on this entire website, autoban yourself and don't return.

Why do the people demanding decorum also talk to everyone like this?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

USPol being popular also seems like your biggest headache so you might have the solution there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What if you just made USNews insanely strict since it sounds like there is something really specific you want there. It's just got news, nothing else. You post the article, post your editorial, and if anyone wants to respond they can spin out a new thread if it doesn't exist and respond there. Or just something like that. It sounds like a bunch of goons use USNews like it's an RSS feed and it seems like you want to preserve that but it also flies in the face of what USnews is, a discussion thread.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I also think there might just be a high horse the mods need to get off of when it comes to what USPol and D&D is. There's a lot of ideas they keep throwing around about discussions and how to encourage more and the true purpose of USNews and making sure it's catering to the posters and the lurkers.

And also the current discussion is a "Name the band" joke.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Threadbans and forumbans were specifically an admin directive. The idea is that by using them instead of harsh punishments, someone who is a problem in one place but not others isn't denied access to the entire forums because they can't contain themselves in one specific area. I'm... torn of the efficacy really. For some posters it's absolutely worked, for others it's just encouraged a bad poster to be bad elsewhere instead, and for some others they'd probably have been fine to come back after like a week or something via normal probations. I do think that threadbans in particular have been overused lately tbh.

This might be outside of this thread but if they're an admin decree why have they been given no technical support? It's very odd and feels silly to avoid using the tools we have, probes and bans, to use these adhoc tools that you're not even really keeping track of and then also not give you any way to make it a real system. It's really weird and something that I never understand about SomethingAwful. We're a gated community yet really hate the idea of using that gate.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I also have to be honest, it's kind of funny that the thread started out with this

CommieGIR posted:

At the end of this whole thing, lemme be clear: The community owns D&D. Not the mods.

If the community says something needs to change, so be it. We will go over any recommendations with admins and enact whatever the community says will make D&D better.

So please be honest. And I personally do not care what happens to me being a mod or not. I'd like to think I try my best, but I'm human as any other mod is here.

and now it turns out multiple bad d&d ideas are admin decree that seem to be a hands tied situation.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

re: the technical underpinnings of mod tools:

ha ha

ha ha ha

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

He has yospos in his name for gods sake! What a sloppy shop

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Ok, I think this does need to be said. The idea of having a functioning admin team actually overseeing the mods and developing consistent policy really didn't exist prior to 2019, afaict. Like before that there were 1-2 boss admins at a time who specifically handled big executive decision stuff but otherwise mods were left to their own devices with no oversight. The whole fyad drama into lowtax situation in rapid succession kinda upended everything and there has kinda been a (glacially slow) effort to figure out what consistent policies and practices on the site should look like. There has been some experimentation, and the lack of an admin who is particularly familiar with the politics forums has made things kind of difficult. Not to mention the codebase for this website is a loving disaster that's still being cleaned up pretty heroically by astral. This isn't really intended to be a "this is the admins' fault" post because the D&D mods have made poor and inconsistent decisions too, but some of the inconsistency and inertia does happen above our heads.

Yeah that's not my point and not what I think you're suggesting. I also definitely think we should just use the tools we have and be more willing to make people pay ten bux over making new thread ban tools. I just really do find it funny that the thread started with this big promise but it's not actually true because this website is really dysfunctional and doesn't know what it's doing. "Hey guys we see you and hear you and the community makes the decisions. Unless it's one of the weird things the admins decided. In that case we'll try but like sheesh it's gonna be tough"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The D&D mods are literally incapable of not mixing it up and getting into fights in the feedback thread. That might be one of the problems.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The problem isn't even that it's Calvinball it's they if you point out it's Calvinball D&D has to launch into

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Forced assimilation is genocide, just not the exterminatory kind. Letting people use another term to describe what is happening in China, the meaning of which overlaps with variants of genocide, isn't really a rule change. Now if what had been enforced was that it was genocide denial to claim that China did not have extermination camps, and now it's alright to describe it solely as forced assimilation, then it obviously would be a rule change.

Instead of just going "Yeah, it's is Calvinball. Deal with it" like the rest of SA does when it comes to rules.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Definitely not how you fix honesty and trust problems.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Going to break kayfabe for a moment to say that I'm not super interested in the trust or respect or opinions of posters that I think should be banned. If you have a problem with that complain to the admins.

No one knows who you're talking about. To everyone except you this looks like you're tilting at windmills.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What? I'm definitely not on the "D&D side" of this, I just think it trivializes the many reasonable complaints about the moderation to try to own fos on that poo poo. I've called for the resignation of every single one of the D&D mods, that doesn't mean I'm gonna back every argument in favor of that end. People badly arguing for your position sucks.

Yeah that wasn't meant to be a specific call out of you and that might not of been the best example. I just think a lot of the D&D problem is a lack of honestly, especially when they honestly would go against an idealized version of D&D, and more specifically that it's always around dumb poo poo like the rules. The rules are dumb Calvinball that are arbitrarily made up by the mods. Which is totally fine, that's how well of SA runs, but because this is D&D the mods feel this need to project being neutral and arbitrary. It really would be progress here to at least acknowledge that D&D is Calvinball just like the rest of the website.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The feedback thread is now about who's justified to provide feedback and was lead there entirely by a mod. That is classic stonewalling techniques.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So there's a list of posters who meet the criteria for valid opinions and no you can't see the list and no you can't know the criteria?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

Honestly, USPOL should be a CCCC thread, right? The mix of horserace politics and funny conservatives tweets combined with serious discussion about controversial stuff has never really gelled.

Honestly yeah, that would also solve a lot of the problems D&D has according to this thread and the mods.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

USNews is a single thread, with a different set of rules specifically for that thread. It's fairly common on most forums. Are you new to the SA forums? Your reg date suggests you've been around long enough to know this.

D&D bring this rude about everything is also something that sucks about D&D.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's going to be funny when Jeff makes another post and it turns out you're both reading the admin tea leaves wrong because that's the cycle this always takes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Being a mod being an impossible task that just gets you harassed is also a long standing problem in SA that we've mostly dealt with by trying nothing and being all out of ideas. Those sort of problems really stack up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes it is clearly the dnd posters that want to purge their posting enemies.

Everytime the mods decide someone else doesn't deserve to talk your posts get even funnier.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's a Hitler gang tag about him as an artist, not as a genocide architect. Oh it reminds you of the genocide? Have you tried getting smarter you baby?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think the Sherman tag is just an amazing example of the awful attitude in d&d. The same argument for many other historical figures wouldn't fly. You'd rightfully laugh out Hitler the artist, wernher von braun the scientist, Andrew Jackson, Revolutionary war hero. Pro-chairman Xi and no one is allowed to mention the genocide and it's called disingenuous if they do, I'm sure d&d would love that. But the Sherman tag is the one thing that arbitrarily gets a pass of "It's not about his genocide, it's about his actions during the war" which mind you was also horrific. It's just a great example of the hypocritical lovely attitude in d&d that assumes all disagreement comes from a disingenuous place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Dude, he's had that gangtag for ages, and SUDDENLY it's SUPER OFFENSIVE when we're in the middle of a pile-on? It's really hard to take that poo poo seriously, and it's also hard to take your constant pleas for :decorum: seriously when you called me an idiot in QCS for liking a popular rock album.

Also, has nobody mentioned Stalin gangtags yet? 'Cause I wouldn't accuse somebody with that gangtag of loving the Ukrainian famine and act all aggrieved, because that's loving stupid.

It's not a plea for decorum it's pointing out that the go to attitude in d&d, and a big problem with it, is the attitude that any criticism or disagreement is insincere and you've mostly met it by telling me I'm insincere. It's consistent I'll give you that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If you voted for someone who was credibly accused of rape you should probably expect people to sometimes ask "hey what's up with that?" and if the question sucks and feels bad, yeah. The whole thing sucks and it's a good sign that it makes you feel bad since it would be a whole lot worse if you didn't care. Sorry the world sucks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

That, however, does not make them rape apologists. What makes them rape apologists is trying to downplay and or attack Tara Reade or other rape survivors.

If I thought it did I would say it did. Again, this is my main complaint with D&D that it's impossible to ever have what you say taken in earnest. It is always assumed there is a motive or a lie.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

They are going to called out on it, is what I meant. Strongly.

What's the official number of deaths according to D&D? Because that's primarily the "genocide denial" that's being talked about. People discussing that the number of deaths is a very complicated figure to find the truth of.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Number of deaths does not a genocide make, and that's a very poor way to classify genocide. And, within this context of rule discussion: Are you saying you disbelieve the people coming from Uighur communities saying this has happened, or people who were at Tianamen square who said it was cracked down on? And forced conversions/mass re-education is very much cultural genocide, even if mass death is not the primary end goal. Oppressing or erasing the cultural traces of a minority group, even if you do not kill them, is cultural genocide.

Where do we draw the line on who is believed or disbelieved when it comes to rape or genocide/mass persecution? Can we even answer that question fairly?

No, my point is that when people talk about cspam denying genocide in Tianamen square what cspam was talking about was that the death toll is a very disputed number and it's tough to understand what an actual historical account is because everyone involved lied to benefit themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

We're gonna let an admin mull this over, but okay my bad if I misunderstood it was just in that context specifically.

I guess here is the easiest way to put it. If someone said they believe less than 10000 people died in Tianamen Square and they think the number is smaller and isn't a jackass about it how does that get handled? Because that's the number you'll find if you Google it's the number you'll see in recent news articles, and is also highly disputed like everything else with the death toll. There's a lot of grey between "nothing happened" and "none of the official accounts are actually factual" and that grey area is usually what people are talking about and what gets those accusations of genocide denial so I think it's worth figuring out and codifying when that grey turns into black and white in D&D so that people don't accidently end up there and so these cries of genocide denial can stop being used as a way to win arguments.