Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Congrats? You posted mediocre middle of the road stuff that wasn't offensive and when people refused to actually do the namesake of the forum like Debate and Discuss, they got punished. I wasn't aware trolling in the form of devil's advocate was punishable, but I guess that should be a rule? The rule for trolls is to disengage and report, which very few people did. The reports we did get about you being a troll, most of your posts look like normal discussion. If your goal was to say we need to punish that, even with a rule change we'd likely not do that.

In fact, your experiment was so successful that we actually assumed you were a re-reg troll from the start. We asked for an alt-check on October the 2nd and while it did align your account with a fairly innocent poster, there's no rules against having an alt if you are not evading a permaban. So, I guess good job on trolling within the rules. Hey if you want to keep doing that, go for it. I'm sure Jeff appreciates the extra tenbux.

Yeah, basically this. Which of these posts is truly offensive?

multijoe posted:

going to expend my (1) posting in this thread token to say: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Stop letting your pet posters get away with riling people up until they snap, stop forumbanning people for reacting the expected way to the tedious condescending posts you don't punish for months, stop tilting the scales in favor of your preferred ideologies. It's that loving simple and people have been asking for this poo poo to change since PPJ was in charge and you still won't even acknowledge that there's a problem.

Absolutely agreed. I think a mostly ignored post from Lib and Let Die really captured how this tends to play out.

Lib and let die posted:

Here's a conversation from a recent D&D thread re: whether non-parents reaped any benefit of voting for Joe Biden from the $600 child tax credit would that is absolutely monstrous and doesn't have any punishment attached to the most monstrous, condescending responses.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fool of sound posted:

You have been probated one time ever in D&D that I can tell, by exmarx, and I just scrolled through your post history here and it's all completely uncontroversial USPol/Trump/Right Wing media white noise and some QUILTBAG posting up until Benghazi 2 got banned, and you haven't participated in D&D basically at all since then.

Who gives a gently caress?! Just because we can play the game (because hey: my history is mostly the same) and mostly keep our cool against intensely bad poo poo doesn't make it less valid

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

A big part of the problem seems to be that people just need to get the gently caress over getting probations. So many people who are saying "I stopped posting in D&D because my views weren't tolerated!" and then you look at their rap sheets and they've gotten like two probations in D&D ever. I thought we changed the purple box from "YOU'RE A HORRIBLE MONSTER" to "Take a break" to emphasize that no, a probation doesn't make you a bad person, it doesn't mean you lost or got owned, it just means you can't post for a few hours.

I think the probations are truly secondary, a sort of poo poo cherry on top of a really unpleasant culture of condescension and tediousness that is encouraged and reinforced by mods.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Honestly, USPOL should be a CCCC thread, right? The mix of horserace politics and funny conservatives tweets combined with serious discussion about controversial stuff has never really gelled.