Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Kavros posted:

lots of words

This, while long as gently caress, was a Really Good Post, and while I don't 100% agree with everything said and quoted, it's generally on-track, IMO. The lazy part of me wants to just say "this" and go back to playing games or whatever, but I'll pick out some highlights and :words: a bit myself and quote a few more things I agree with.

Kavros posted:

1. The metadebate about D&D and what to do with it is never going to have a crowdpleaser answer, and you will have incredibly livid detractors even if you are making the best available choices at the time, and

2. Pursuant to (1), your goal is ultimately to displease and drive away the correct people, and their adamant displeasure will be incidental evidence that what you are doing is working.

This is true. If you folks (whoever that ends up being) want to really change things, then you're going to piss people off. That's fine. gently caress it. It's an internet forum, not some sort of humanitarian organization where people will starve to death if poo poo goes off the rails. Make a call. Make some changes (or don't, I guess), but change is hard and upsetting by its very nature, so, yeah, piss some people off, IMO.

Kavros posted:

I am leery about calls to improve the forum through incentivizing or mandating "effortposting" or to curtail "drive by" posting because I don't think that necessarily makes a forum about politics better. Relief valve posting can be positive and constrained, and sometimes you just want to shoot the poo poo or just slam down some onion byline observation about current issues. I'm pedantic enough on my own, I don't think the forum needs to emulate me further in that regard.

I agree with this and similar statements about trying to rules-lawyer things. The one overriding rule should just be "don't be an rear end in a top hat", with a possible side of "be specific". People who are 90% in agreement with each other regularly go from zero to absolutely incensed in no time at all, and there are statements in this very thread about how stupid ALL the mods are, and how terrible X forum is (really? all of it? every single post?) and so on. Jesus Christ, go outside. If someone's being an aggressive/toxic/angry rear end in a top hat, then they need to stop posting for a while rather than being met in kind. This is completely aside from who's actually correct, in any objective way.

Things, especially political things, SUCK right now. I've been on-and-off low-level pissed off ever since Trump got the nod, and my faith in humanity went right into the shitter when he was almost reelected after four years of batshit insanity. I used to be fairly positive and optimistic, and I loving hate how stupid everything is. But I try to not be a lovely rear end in a top hat to strangers I don't know on an internet forum. And I'm not talking about just rageposts and obvious hatred. There's just general low-level shittiness and sarcasm and the ongoing bad-faith venting happening all the time that makes it so much harder for folks to have decent interactions (e.g. "imagine thinking [something that wasn't really said]" and "what's it like to [be the utter rear end in a top hat caricature I'm trying to distort your post into]"). People are angry and hopeless and that's a hard thing to distill into mutual respect and the benefit of the doubt in a discussion thread.

The mods, in general, are doing okay IMO. I have issues with some and wish they'd do better/differently, but I think they have an incredibly lovely job and the important part is that I don't think they have the right structure in place to make things work.

One gigantic problem is this:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like many, if not most of the mods have an aversion to using probes higher than a 6er for most shitposts, and I think that's a mistake. To illustrate this, from literally earlier today, I made a post that I knew was going to get a 6 hour probe in USPOL. And it did! But my thought process was, "Well, it'll get a probe, but only for six hours while I'm at work, so gently caress it, cost of doing business." I imagine that many other posters who get hit with 6 hour probes go through that very same thought process—which is a problem! It may slightly reduce the overall number of bad posts/lovely behavior, but so long as it doesn't actually deter people from making bad posts, it doesn't address the core issue of... people making bad posts. If moderation is supposed to be a deterrent, then the punishments need to be significant enough to actually deter people from making bad posts in the first place.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would like to see D&D modding dispense with ineffectual things like human word filters and posters getting several years of useless sixers before they are *gasp* threadbanned into harassing yet more threads. Until then, being appointed mod of D&D is more a punishment than anything.

I'm almost suspicious of anyone who would want to mod D&D because the only conceivable use of the six-hour probe at this point is to settle arguments. This is the forum of people spending $10 to own each others' accounts, ignore threadbans, re-regging, and so on. No one pauses at a sixer or even a day off.

Seriously. How many loving sixers does someone need to behave differently? There should be regular acceleration of consequences and someone should be booted the gently caress off the forums if they continue. Spitballing: If someone gets a second sixer in the space of 24 hours, then guess what? It's actually 24 hours automatically. If someone gets a sixer within 24 hours after their day off, then it's a week. If someone gets two weeks off inside a month ( so potentially a total of as few as 6 violations), gently caress it, ban them. They obviously aren't getting the message (so don't have self-awareness and/or preservation) or they're just an rear end in a top hat as a matter of course or they just don't give a poo poo. If someone gets banned X times, then make it a perma. There's a whole lot of tolerance for the same people threadshitting over and over in D&D and it's baffling to me. If you're getting sixers every day then either (a) You're the problem, or (b) You don't belong in this thread/sub/forum/site. Find another place to rage, or doompost, or talk about how Democrats or Republicans are all worthless evil human beings who need to be shot into the sun. There's a whole internet out there. I had someone get pissed off at me recently in an argument about semantics of all things, dig through my post history to find details about a medical condition I have, and send me a "Hope you die soon! :D " message. There's a lot of people here just using these forums to vomit anger over and over.

And yes, this is actually a great quote.

Main Paineframe posted:

There is no point being a moderator on this website until Jeffrey stops entertaining the whims of the small cohort of freaks and losers that a substantial percentage of the mods on this site are apparently literally terrified of, because giving someone a six-hour probation gets you cyberstalked by a bunch of hooting clowns who apparently have either telepathic mind control powers over the site owner or lots of blackmail material on Jeffrey. tired of watching the staff struggle for literal weeks to find one of the few actually nice people left on this website who're dumb enough to be a mod, then hurling them to the loving wolves until they leave the website forever because they're utterly miserable here. i can no longer be a party to this horrendous loving social experiment of finding people too nice and screwed up to stand up for themselves, telling them they're no longer allowed to be mad when people are utter jackasses to them, and then hurling them into a bunch of loving ridiculous abuse to see how long they stick around and obey the commands to just sit back and take it. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Also, this rings really true--this is super important, if you're going to actually start making changes and enforcing poo poo:

Discendo Vox posted:

It's going to be really important to go over the rapsheets of everyone in this thread before you trust people about mod nominations, or their descriptions of what's gone wrong. I'm being literal here. Read people's rapsheets and ask yourself if what they're saying now, the face they're trying to present, matches what they've gotten probated or banned for in the past. Users with a bunch of probations for trolling D&D, or various racisms, or straight up thread or forumbans, should not just be taken at face value. Otherwise, you're giving the users with the biggest propensity for abuse the largest amount of leverage.

...and that doesn't mean *just* look at the rapsheets. Look at the posts because sometimes, yes, moderation can be bad. This applies not only to mod nominations and D&D feedback, but every time someone gets so much as a sixer, someone should be looking at their rap sheet and at least their last few posts and deciding if that sixer is going to accomplish anything at all. That's a fuckload of work, but it's a fuckload of work because it's playing catch-up for a process that's been broken for a long time.

While we're at it, this is a pretty decent example of the sort of casual threadshitting that's rampant right now (although it's not a particularly unusual or egregious one):

PostNouveau posted:

D&D moderation has done a great job of cultivating a forum full of pedants with no sense of humor. Just flat tires as far as the eye can see.

So I say, keep it up! Don't change a thing! I don't want these people posting in the parts of the forums I like.

So here we have a poster who's taking the time to post in a thread explicitly asking for constructive feedback on how to improve a forum.
Either they're saying:

- I don't like this part of the forum.
- People who post here suck.
- I do, however, like making GBS threads on them.

Or, possibly, they're being entirely sarcastic and actually DO wish the forum was better (and would potentially post here if it were?), but they can't actually communicate that in a clear manner for whatever reason.
They are instead taking the opportunity to drop a scornful, humorless turd and leave. Are they angry and upset about politics and life or are they just an rear end in a top hat, or somewhere in between? Who knows. Doesn't matter.
It doesn't contribute anything to this thread and it wouldn't contribute anything to any other thread, but people post this sort of passive aggressive "aren't I clever" poo poo in D&D every day, and mods, maybe, give them their 2000th sixer.

CommieGIR posted:

Hey All, so Fancy Pelosi has dropped in the Mod Feedback forum to let us know that they were a troll all along, but frankly, we're inclined to let them stay. So vote in the poll!

What poll? I can't find a poll anywhere. [Edit: Found the poll--thanks!]
If someone admits to being a troll, ban them. gently caress that behavior.
I don't care what their point was or what they were trying to prove or if their posts are actually not so bad--they're making GBS threads in the pool.

For that matter, don't allow alts. If you want to post on these forums, make a goddamn account; if you don't then gently caress off. Play your Mysterious Stranger games somewhere else.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

fool of sound posted:

Lots of people are reporting posts in this thread even though every single D&D mod is reading it.

This made me laugh harder than anything in this thread so far.
Holy gently caress.