Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Maelstache posted:

Did some internet archaeology and dug out what I suspect may be the earliest Tim Rogers video content. We're talking pre-youtube, 2003-04 potatovision quality clips from way back in the early days of Insert Credit.

Basically FFDog was Tim and his friends Julie and Doug attempting to play through every Final Fantasy game over the course of a single night each. Although really it's mainly the other two playing while Tim drinks Dr Pepper and just rambles on endlessly.

I suspect this may be interesting only to hardcore Rogers obsessives, but it is quite funny seeing how much of an obnoxious dork young Tim is, loving guy never shuts up. He was also kind-of fond of dropping the "r" word, like a lot. I guess it was the early 2000s and we were all a lot edgelordier back then, even Tim apparently.

It seems like they gave up on playing all the FFs after IV, as the one after that is a really obscure N64 RPG called Aidan Chronicles, which is apparently so bad it leads to Tim having some kind of bizarre meltdown on his own in the middle of the night.

These were originally short clips of about 1.5 meg each and I've just stitched them together basically.

FF1
FF2
FF4
Aidan Chronicles

Seems like you could also order higher quality versions of these on a DVD-r at some point? I suspect that offer may've expired now.

I'm more amused that Tim was dropping any words that could be considered vulgar at all, considering how much he insists that he has not used any profanity ever after promising his mom that he wouldn't or something like that? He had said it in some video at some point. I guess even he had a time where he had to clean up his language.

Meanwhile I've been itching for Season 2 so much to the point that I've been listening to Insert Credit to get my fill of Tim's ramblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

No Mods No Masters posted:

He had an announcement on his discord for some podcast he was on last week where he also mentioned he's editing the next video. I think he quit social media otherwise, which I'm never going to blame anyone for in general, but was probably an especially good idea in his case. IDK if it's good for the hype or patreon bux, but it seems like a more sane and sustainable way to operate than... whatever went on with the cyberpunk review

His Twitter isn't even mentioned on Insert Credit episodes anymore, it just says he's at YouTube dot action button etc.

Good on him though, I'd love to divorce myself from all social media.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I may just rewatch the Tokimeki Memorial review just to scratch the itch. It feels like the Cyberpunk 2077 review was just a few weeks ago but it was loving October when it came out. A half of a year has passed and I need to hear Tim wax loquaciously over video games for a few hours.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I get my Tim fix listening to Insert Credit. It's not the same, but...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Natsuyasumi has passed, kids are going back to school soon around my area. :(

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I listen to Insert Credit to get my occasional weekly dose of Tim (whenever he's actually on the show), and he just kinda talks about whatever the hell he wants to talk about, relevant or not. I fuckin love it.

He's the life of the show whether anyone else would want to admit it or not; episodes he's not on are immediately less entertaining.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Tim's life stories never fail to be my favorite parts of his videos. I perpetually find myself longing for nostalgia that isn't mine, to be the kind of person who, instead of wanting to go to places I've only read about, actually has gone and lived there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hell I mean, same

I'm cursed with a desire to see the world and a regret that I have not, while being an extreme homebody at the same time.

I just want home to be more than one place.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed it more than all of the ones he's done so far aside from the Tokimeki Memorial review*, which I feel is his gold standard.

But I feel like if I watched it again, I'd just skip to part 5 because that was the part I enjoyed most.

*(That's a lie, my favorite Tim content is his Slow Retranslation of FFVII)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

The Batman shirt kinda hurts my brain. He says he has worn it constantly for 30 years but it looks to be in great condition. The decals are unblemished. The black is still dark.

Even if it had been hand washed 100% of the time and drip dried in the dark it still wouldn't look like this.

I think he's embellishing his story.

Never mind that it's a shirt he wore in fifth grade and still fits him just fine in his early 40s. I know he's said in the past he was overweight as a kid, but even then it does seem like a stretch.

It's fine really, I don't mind some embellishment if it makes for a better story impact tbh, but it does kind of conflict somewhat with his aforementioned desire to show a more genuine side of himself after the first season of Action Button.

He's either telling the truth, somehow, or I'm definitely suspending disbelief. Ah well.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm more than content to watch a 6 hour video on whatever he wants to talk about. Dude could talk about grass growing and paint drying and somehow make it interesting.

That said I'd also be more than content with more 2-3 hour videos over 1 6 hour one over the same period of time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao

everything we know so far:

LA Noire is 202
Castlevania Rondo of Blood is 203
Final Fantasy IV is either 204 or 205
We do not know which the other is!
Earthbound is 206

Tim doing a video on FFIV and Earthbound should be a reason for anyone to keep pushin' on through life. I don't think there's anything I'd anticipate harder than Tim's commentary on Earthbound especially.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

season 2 really lacking on the shotgun sfx

BINGO

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Someone needs to count the times Tim says "Boku no Natsuyasumi" in the review and see if he says it more than "Tokimeki Memorial" in its review and report back.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ziasquinn posted:

that doesn't mean he liked it just that it was influential

I mean I'm pretty sure he loved the hell out of elden ring

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe it's already been 3 months since the last Tim video.

Just 9 more to go, right? :v:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You should imagine how I felt last night when the realization hit me, completely unprovoked. :smith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Failed run if Cloud isn't named "Bonkey" or something

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Now I understand how y'all felt when I bumped the thread a few weeks ago lol

Give us another video, Tim, I need another 6 hour hyperfixation to be engrossed in.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Please just drop the next video, Tim. I'm famished for a HELLO.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It just wouldn't be a good Tim routine if he doesn't call someone in the audience Jerry in a scathing manner

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you, you took a bad day and made it infinitely worse.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

No, 6 hour epics or nothing

There’s already a million boring YouTube idiots doing 30 minutes of bullshit about every single topic

:yeah:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Naurrrr!

Shinjobi posted:

I need a video clip for posterity

He does it occasionally on Insert Credit afaik, good luck finding examples though

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 22, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Following this thread is bad for my heart

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So many people who in this dark time, yearn for nothing more than a HELLO.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If you're paying for Tim you're paying for Tim quality, and that just means we're on Tim time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
How much is Tim making to put out one video a year at this point? Seems like a pretty sweet gig tbh.

I started rewatching the FFVII Remake review and laughed at the part where he promised an hour of material every month. (It's even funnier to consider that he's not actually all that far off-- it's just cumulative rather than consistent)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's always jealousy at the end of the day.

gently caress, I'm jealous that he gets paid big bucks to play games until his fingers bleed and infodump and wax poetic about stuff he likes.

But I also lack his intelligence, wit, ability to obsess over one thing, résumé and the fact that he's been in the field for over 20 years.

tl;dr: sucks to suck. also, drop the next video Tim please

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
new thread title tbh

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take a longer wait for something of Boku no Natsuyasumi's quality over something shorter and less heartfelt any day.

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna be impatient though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Ivory tower liberals from new york city never come to real america on their anti capitalist "comedy" tours

I figured Tim would be down-to-earth enough to come to Kansas or Indianapolis for a show.

Hell I'd make the 2 hour drive to Indy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I enjoy Tim's insights and anecdotes that are only tangentially related to the subject game far more than his discussion of the content of the game itself. Typically he balances those pretty well, but there are definitely parts of the Cyberpunk 2077 review that are far more interesting to me than others.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I actually have never watched his The Last of Us review because I've been telling myself for at least 10 years now that I'll actually finish the game (and have bought it for PS3 and 4)... but I just don't like FPS games all that much and get bored pretty quick, as much as I've wanted to follow the story. May as well just call it a wash and just watch the video so I never have to play it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

good news, it's a third-person shooter

Potato, potahto. Wasn't vibing with it either which way.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

The part in the review where he talked at length about his clothes and jackets :frogbon:

Literally the best part of that review!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if we'll still be fairly close to the "1 hour of content per month" average promised all the way back in the FFVII Remake video.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Asteroid Alert posted:

Tim update: he has 6 videos in the oven.

I should at least hope the oven is on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to hope that he's got a few videos in the can at this point and he's just waiting until they're all done before releasing.

I know that's some serious cope but I'd like to think he's still on track.