Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

good news, it's a third-person shooter

Potato, potahto. Wasn't vibing with it either which way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
one of my favorite tim bits is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0hF6BOAEJM&t=600s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Framboise posted:

I actually have never watched his The Last of Us review because I've been telling myself for at least 10 years now that I'll actually finish the game (and have bought it for PS3 and 4)... but I just don't like FPS games all that much and get bored pretty quick, as much as I've wanted to follow the story. May as well just call it a wash and just watch the video so I never have to play it.

it's barely a shooter anyway, you spend more time hiding and hitting people with sticks than shooting...and for most of the game your aim is absolute dogshit until you track down some pills

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hell yeah

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ughhhhhhhh I couldn't figure out why rusty was providing me with so much dopamine

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

field balm posted:

Ughhhhhhhh I couldn't figure out why rusty was providing me with so much dopamine

lol

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Gainsboro posted:

Obviously everyone here loves Tim's videos, but has anyone else read all of Tim's essays?

https://medium.com/@108
http://largeprimenumbers.com/

What We Might Mean When We Say a Clock is Wrong is an ideal starting point if you're in the mindset for serious subject matter, followed by just like hamburger; exactly like hamburger.

If you prefer lighter fare, I recommend the eleven most boring conversations i can’t stop overhearing and the blender who would recite shakespeare.

I am only moderately sorry for bumping the thread.

“the eleven most boring conversations i can’t stop overhearing” was incredibly 2016 but I enjoyed it.
I've read the longer, darker stuff before - worth a read if you're a fan and in the right mindset.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Countblanc posted:

good news, it's a third-person shooter

Tim needs to get back to the basics with these people

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Weird Sandwich posted:

My favourites are the ones on Japanese games I've never played like Tokimeki Memorial and Boku no Natsuyasumi

:same:, watching the Tokimeki video in one sitting and then jumping straight into the Megumi livestream was for me a heck of a case of the early-onset all-timers

Angryhead posted:

“the eleven most boring conversations i can’t stop overhearing” was incredibly 2016 but I enjoyed it.
I've read the longer, darker stuff before - worth a read if you're a fan and in the right mindset.

I think about just like hamburger, exactly like hamburger constantly

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Dijkstracula posted:

:same:, watching the Tokimeki video in one sitting and then jumping straight into the Megumi livestream was for me a heck of a case of the early-onset all-timers

I think about just like hamburger, exactly like hamburger constantly

Is there a recording of the Megumi run anywhere? I subscribed to the Patreon a while ago, but I don't remember seeing it there.

edit vvvvvvv thanks!

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 23, 2023

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

yeah it's up on channel two

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

Pretty great how that story starts off with "Which hot sauce is the best?" as #1 and the newest episode of Insert Credit starts off with a (Tim-led!) discussion about hot sauce.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Framboise posted:

Honestly I enjoy Tim's insights and anecdotes that are only tangentially related to the subject game far more than his discussion of the content of the game itself. Typically he balances those pretty well, but there are definitely parts of the Cyberpunk 2077 review that are far more interesting to me than others.

The part in the review where he talked at length about his clothes and jackets :frogbon:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I mentally tuned out during that interminable clothing bit at the end of the cyberpunk section. It didn't help that the start of the finale was yet more poo poo about clothes.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Terper posted:

The part in the review where he talked at length about his clothes and jackets :frogbon:
Don't forget the sunglasses and gaming chairs!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Literally the best part of that review!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There was a fleeting moment during that review, for a split second where I almost wanted a pair expensive indiana jones boots. Almost

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

posting to see if the new vid is here. by the end of this post i will have determined that the new vid is not here.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

posting to see if the new vid is here. by the end of this post i will have determined that the new vid is not here.
It's been literally more than a year as of today, it'd be foolish to expect a new video!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

did somone say new video

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The real new video was the friends we made along the way

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I hope the Cyberpunk 2077 segment where he was dressed like Indiana Jones and claimed to be shooting another video was just an elaborate bit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Angryhead posted:

It's been literally more than a year as of today

lmao

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

current status: thinking about Tim's excised chapter of the Cyberpunk video around open-world games and how it would have probably been in good conversation with Starfield's "open-worldness"

tim, release the rogers cut

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I hope the next video is a 10 hour essay on boku no nasuyasumi 2

or a 14 hour video on FFXIV.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sometimes I think about his "I should get a wheel" comment and dream of Tim Rogers going deep on Gran Turismo 4 and racing games in general.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Next video is an eight hundred and twenty seven minute review of Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidty which will be a complete indictment of the American Educational System and systemic gun violence. You’ll also briefly consider getting into vintage watches.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
that game owned

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I like the bit where you had to spit off the roof

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClTMPjl0Rys&t=3816s
Had a sad laugh after Tim's weird laugh

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Like Winds of Winter, the LA Noire video has been finished for some time but you all don’t deserve it yet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's a game I don't care about so :shrug:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Better posters than me have been thrown against the rocks doubting tim, so I'll trust he can make la noire an interesting topic worth spending more than a year on.

The natural suspicion of course is it will involve using la noire as a vehicle to talk about a lot of things that are not la noire

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I doubt Tim

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's a game I don't care about so :shrug:

I didn't care about a lot of games until Tim Rogers made me care

had you ever in your life heard of boku no natsuyasumi? be honest

e: I just played LA Noire for the first time earlier this year, and there's honestly a lot there you could go into. It's a game that did a lot of interesting things and took a lot of chances, even if the end result was a little uneven. And it was a pretty good detective movie too

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 13, 2023

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
LA Noire review documenting Tim’s descent into car brain. Tangents include Tim teaching Mimsy to drive via Gran Turismo 7 so she can get a driver’s license because he wants to move to Kansas.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Phenotype posted:

I didn't care about a lot of games until Tim Rogers made me care

had you ever in your life heard of boku no natsuyasumi? be honest

Well, be fair. There's a difference between a game you've never heard of and a game you have heard of and don't give a poo poo about.

I think LA Noire is a fairly interesting subject, though. There's the weird, idiosyncratic MotionScan tech; the way the setting isn't just the generalised noir pastiche that you might expect but rather this hyper-specific recreation of post-war LA; the open world stuff that has absolutely no business being in the game but somehow is. The way it changes protagonist in the final act?? It's a strange game, honestly, a real sui generis thing.

'course Tim's gonna pick something completely different to focus on but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Given that the cut segment of the Cyberpunk review was supposed to be about open-world games in general, I would guess that's the angle with LA Noire, which is an ostensibly open-world game with basically none of the traditional open-world stuff.