Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Melth posted:

Hard 13: Foul Play

Sensei's second mission is a lot tougher this time around, but I was able to win in the minimum possible amount of time.

Still seems like you've got a massively OP flying army compared to him. He also doesn't start with any Anti-Airs near the HQ, nor does he have the funds or bases to build them up.

EDIT: I mean, this was given the same amount of stars as Final Front. That's definite hyperbole on the game's part.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Melth posted:

I haven't ever really promoted them much, perhaps I should do more of that. Here's a new one!

Advance Wars By Web: The Waltz of the Olafs

Another great AWBW ep!

Melth posted:

And people in the AWBW will talk as if this is the only conceivable way to design maps, and say things like 'Grit is weaker in fog' as if it was an ironclad truth instead of just a result of the current fog map-making meta being terrible for Grit!

Any plans to make your own map at some point?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Beartaco posted:

Another great AWBW ep!

Any plans to make your own map at some point?

I actually did make one and I've got two more in the works, but I'm keeping those under wraps for now.

When AdvanceWarrior told me he wanted to do some sort of special game when his channel reached 200 subs, I made this map for the occasion: https://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=121909

I did also make this version of Final Front: https://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=121908

It's the best approximation I can devise of how that map actually plays in the campaign. The newly placed piperunners cover the same important ground that the Black Cannons did. 4 new com towers bring AWBW Sturm up to his AW2 statline. Black Hole has an HQ placed in the location where you would be in bomber range to instant-kill the Deathray if it existed. And there were a few other slight adjustments to make it play more like the campaign.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Congrats on the new Patreon.

Hey wait, one of those names is familiar. Isn't MasterKnightDH one of those really infamous internet weirdos?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 14, 2022

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 14: A Mirror Darkly

This mission is surprisingly hard to get a 300 point score on. The speed limit is extremely tight, so one needs to plan ahead to prevent all the ways the AI is likely to stall.

Here I was able to win with several turns left and no casualties though!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Delphisage posted:

Hey wait, one of those names is familiar. Isn't MasterKnightDH one of those really infamous internet weirdos?

I don't know anything about his past—but from my brief interactions with him, he seems nice enough. I've got no issues with him.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 15: Duty and Honor

This one was very difficult to achieve 0 casualties on. The mission is designed to require you to make sacrifices, and the whole story is about deliberately running into a nasty trap and rushing through to save some cities. So it was interesting to find a way to avoid all that!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Out of curiosity since I've been doing several missions with no casualties and did the same thing in Green Earth in normal mode, has anyone happened to note which missions I DID take casualties on?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Melth posted:

Out of curiosity since I've been doing several missions with no casualties and did the same thing in Green Earth in normal mode, has anyone happened to note which missions I DID take casualties on?

Sensei’s Return and the lab mission, off the top of my head.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Melth posted:

Didn't a commenter on the latest video ask you to stop labeling your videos like that because they made them more clickbaity?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Delphisage posted:

Didn't a commenter on the latest video ask you to stop labeling your videos like that because they made them more clickbaity?

They were joking that it's inaccurate because Melth's AI opponents take many casualties.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 16: The Hunt's End

I thought the last one was hard to get 0 casualties on, but this one turned out to be even rougher.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So the basic guide here is to let Adder have the base so his units spill into open terrain, and then pile on as many AAs and heavy-hitters to sweep his vulnerable units on the turn Max is positioned to break the pipe seam.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There is something so very satisfying when Kanbei goes full beast mode with a Samurai Spirit.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

There is something so very satisfying when Kanbei goes full beast mode with a Samurai Spirit.

I agree! Though it's most fun when there are more enemies trying and failing to counterattack.

Delphisage posted:

So the basic guide here is to let Adder have the base so his units spill into open terrain, and then pile on as many AAs and heavy-hitters to sweep his vulnerable units on the turn Max is positioned to break the pipe seam.

If Adder moves his battleships south and fighter west, yeah. If he does the opposite, Kanbei can maneuver northward. Then the trick is to isolate a few of Adder's units but keep them alive for later. Then massacre them all at once!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Special: Two-Week Test versus mode, routing the enemy

Way back when I was doing the normal campaign I mentioned that I'd come fairly close to breaking through the enemy lines at the end of Two-Week Test. I re-created it as a custom map now that I've unlocked Lash, and we'll see if I can actually rout her on this survival chapter.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

Special: Two-Week Test versus mode, routing the enemy

Way back when I was doing the normal campaign I mentioned that I'd come fairly close to breaking through the enemy lines at the end of Two-Week Test. I re-created it as a custom map now that I've unlocked Lash, and we'll see if I can actually rout her on this survival chapter.

This is yet again another excellent video. But, if I may make a point (and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn)...

I think you base skipped too much—even though there were no longer any ranks to worry about. I suspect that's why you only sometimes won against Lash (going by your "it depends" line).

In land-based fights like this, it's vital that you always build something from one of your five factories, even if they're just Infantry. For example, this is how I finished both of my fights with her:

Infantry are, pound-for-pound, the most cost effective meatshields in the game (with Artilleries being the most cost effective attackers). Only four units in the entire game can OHKO Infantry without a firepower boost (even with Lash's Plains boost)—Anti-Airs, Md Tanks, Neo Tanks, & Bombers. Everyone else is stone-walled by the tide of infinitely replenishing soldiers—especially with the chokepoints this map already has. Even Rockets and air units don't help her much, because I can get those with Tanks & Anti-Airs.

Heck, this is probably why the Technique score was invented :cheeky:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 29, 2022

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

This is yet again another excellent video. But, if I may make a point (and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn)...

I think you base skipped too much—even though there were no longer any ranks to worry about. I suspect that's why you only sometimes won against Lash (going by your "it depends" line).

In land-based fights like this, it's vital that you always build something from one of your five factories, even if they're just Infantry. For example, this is how I finished both of my fights with her:

Infantry are, pound-for-pound, the most cost effective meatshields in the game (with Artilleries being the most cost effective attackers). Only four units in the entire game can OHKO Infantry without a firepower boost (even with Lash's Plains boost)—Anti-Airs, Md Tanks, Neo Tanks, & Bombers. Everyone else is stone-walled by the tide of infinitely replenishing soldiers—especially with the chokepoints this map already has. Even Rockets and air units don't help her much, because I can get those with Tanks & Anti-Airs.

Heck, this is probably why the Technique score was invented :cheeky:

Generally I agree, I should have used more infantry. I was still thinking in campaign mode, trying to avoid casualties as if I had a technique score to worry about.

However, I do find that the terrain on this map makes mass infantry a bit of a nuisance. When I attempted it a few times with a lot more infantry, they mostly wound up being clutter. I think I should have built just a few more than I did in this game. I almost never needed an additional wall/bait unit.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

However, I do find that the terrain on this map makes mass infantry a bit of a nuisance. When I attempted it a few times with a lot more infantry, they mostly wound up being clutter. I think I should have built just a few more than I did in this game. I almost never needed an additional wall/bait unit.

I see. Me,when I ran into a situation of excess foot soldiers, I'd just have him attack other footies or units in otherwise superior terrain. If they do good damage, cool. If not, at least they're out of the way.

That death count of 40 didn't make itself, ya know!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 17: Toy Box

Another deathless run of a mission. This one turned out to be harder than I expected, but fun!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Artillery does 45% to pipeseams in AW2? Huh. It's 40% in AWBW, was it changed for Dual Strike?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Staltran posted:

Artillery does 45% to pipeseams in AW2? Huh. It's 40% in AWBW, was it changed for Dual Strike?

There were various tweaks done to the damage numbers, yeah. Fighters were buffed, for example.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Staltran posted:

I found this out on Duty and Honor actually! I remember looking up the AWBW numbers on how much damage a rocket would do to a pipe and sadly concluding that my plan to do Morale Boost + Rocket + Mech wouldn't quite kill it.

But then I looked at the actual in-game numbers and realized it WOULD kill it.

I don't really know why they changed the numbers. I don't think I like the change tbh, it seems to make pipe seams just get ignored on 90% of the maps that have them unless they're placed so as to be absolutely mandatory to deal with.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Staltran posted:

I tested it just now, and no—it's 45% in Dual Strike, too. I'm not certain what caused the change.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I can't find pipe seam damage calculations on AWBW.

Maybe it's because 45% on Hawke or Jess translated to 50% or so, making it too easy for them to destroy seams?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright, so I reported it to the AWBW Development thread on Discord, and while it's a known bug, it hadn't been added to the list yet. It seems they will now.

But yeah, AWBW erroneously treats properties as Neo Tanks on Roads, rather than Md Tanks on Roads.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Alright, so I reported it to the AWBW Development thread on Discord, and while it's a known bug, it hadn't been added to the list yet. It seems they will now.

But yeah, AWBW erroneously treats properties as Neo Tanks on Roads, rather than Md Tanks on Roads.

Neat! That sounds like a good improvement to me. It's also interesting to know that the numbers were specifically those of MD tanks vs Neotanks.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Huh, wonder how that will affect To Athos (the fog map with a recon and two cities behind one of the opponent's bases beyond a pipe) if and when it's fixed. You can cap your com tower conveniently just as you start firing at the seam if you get an early artillery so you shiuld do 49 hp with middie stats. Two arty shots+inf shot instead of two arty shots+tank shot. No inf shot needed for Jake and Koal (or Lash, but she can currently two shot it from forest anyway. Oh and Grit too).

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Staltran posted:

Huh, wonder how that will affect To Athos (the fog map with a recon and two cities behind one of the opponent's bases beyond a pipe) if and when it's fixed. You can cap your com tower conveniently just as you start firing at the seam if you get an early artillery so you shiuld do 49 hp with middie stats. Two arty shots+inf shot instead of two arty shots+tank shot. No inf shot needed for Jake and Koal (or Lash, but she can currently two shot it from forest anyway. Oh and Grit too).

I'm also wondering how it will affect options like Lash on the map Assassins. As I recall, that's an interesting map where you start with a tank deep in enemy territory sealed behind a pipe seam. It's impossible for anyone but Kindle to break out before the enemy can blast you (Kindle can do it since the tank is on a city). Lash could get close though. Maybe this will let her break out and finally give her a map where she's not worthless!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

One thing to note—they never actually said they'd fix it. They said they'd add it to the list of bugs.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

One thing to note—they never actually said they'd fix it. They said they'd add it to the list of bugs.

Good point. Well I hope they do. I'm actually playing on a map right now where it could make a difference for some COs.

In the meantime, here's another deathless campaign mission:
Hard 18: Tanks!!!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's kind of funny how fondly I remember this map despite it being incredibly boring in theory. It's a challenge free turkey shoot with grit that requires no tactical thought whatsoever.

I guess it's just that its a relaxing breather mission that likely comes up right after your first challenge at the orange star factory and its fun to smasha bunch of medium tanks even when the map is mindless.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

It's kind of funny how fondly I remember this map despite it being incredibly boring in theory. It's a challenge free turkey shoot with grit that requires no tactical thought whatsoever.

I guess it's just that its a relaxing breather mission that likely comes up right after your first challenge at the orange star factory and its fun to smasha bunch of medium tanks even when the map is mindless.

I don't remember it being that easy necessarily since you only need to lose like 2 guys to his crew of OHKOers or take one extra turn hunting down guys in woods to have a ruined score!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 19: Neotanks?!

I always found it a little weird how Blue Moon has a mission called "Tanks!!!" and then also one called "Neotanks?!"

It's like they ran out of ideas. But then came up with better ones for all the subsequent countries.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah, someone at intsys just caught Andy and tossed him out of the room, not realizing that he had already given the maps names.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, someone at intsys just caught Andy and tossed him out of the room, not realizing that he had already given the maps names.

I'll bet they noticed for Green Earth and the "Navy vs. Air" was originally named "Airports?!"

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Today I had an idea for a fun side video, recorded it, started editing, aaaaand found out no game sound was recorded.

And that is why 99% of the time I remember to do a little test recording before recording any video!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Any clues what that was about?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Any clues what that was about?

I'll maintain the suspense for now. I did re-record it and finish it, so it'll be live either this Sunday or next (haven't decided on the order of videos yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web: My First 2v2 Match

My new (actually quite old but the video took a dreadfully long time to edit!) AWBW video premieres in a few minutes!

Melth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 6, 2022