Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Edward Mass posted:

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Some folks were celebrating Ian Chesterfield, and this comment came up:

Imagine a Dalek going "FECK! ARSE! GIRLS!" and it might be better than that serial!

I stand by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

They're all the same person so maybe they'd be the Timeless Childs :allears:

The Timelesses Child

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Was at the cinema and saw an ad for flux - two ads in fact, as it was split in half. Although Jodie telling the audience we needed to listen very carefully, the BBC advert ending abruptly and then it going into an advert that started with "We've got a chance to save the world" which turned to be about lentils... not quite the tension they were aiming for.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

f Chibnall had produced something truly worthy of being considered "so bad it's good" like "Time and the Rani" or "Nightmare of Eden"

The Nightmare of Eden has an excellent script, it just didn't translate well. The Target novelisation was one of my favourites as a lad.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

Every so often, I remember "Oh yeah, the Master destroyed a huge chunk of the entire universe almost as an aside, including Nyssa's home planet and everyone and everything she ever knew. Wonder if anything ever came of that?" Nope

I'm sure there are stories that call back to previous ones as a hook that aren't terrible, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Narsham posted:

the brutalism of the Sixth Doctor era in particular

The most brutalist story is The Sun Makers

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 1, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Curse of Fenric? Caves Of Androzani? (You can't tell me the third episode cliffhanger isn't a reference to Earthshock.) Rose's big speech to her mum in The Parting Of The Ways is play on her stuff from Rose too.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the meaning of "hook" in this case? In which case, maybe Genesis Of The Daleks counts.

More of a plot hook, so Attack of the Cybermen, or any indeed any episode that brings up previous episodes to fill in the authors pet hate plot holes. There's plenty of times where it's worked well with previous unseen adventures, though, or indeed within the story like The Ark, but in the original run all the excessive continuity was bobbins.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm talking about Classic exclusively, obviously there are loads in the new series. (Traken being destroyed comes up a fair amount, although there are some serials where it is just ignored (eg Black Orchid))

Narsham posted:

If Sun Makers were a Six story

It was a Brutalism joke

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure if you took my post to be an endorsement of Rassilon or something or I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying here? But yeah Rassilon has been shown to be a monster as far back as The Five Doctors where the 2nd Doctor reveals that the image of him as a benevolent and wise ruler masked some incredibly hosed up things he did. Hell, maybe it even gets brought up in The Three Doctors? I can't remember if it is revealed there that Rassilon knowingly let Omega suffer for eternity in order to create time travel or that got retconned in later? Hell, I can't even remember if Rassilon is named in that serial or if he didn't get mentioned until the 4th Doctor's time?

Rassilon is first mentioned in the Deadly Assassin

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Forktoss posted:

There's a lot of good stuff in The Two Doctors but I don't think it really comes together as a whole. It is a high point in Season 22 (although I do have soft spot for Revelation of the Daleks too), but I still wouldn't call it a proper no-caveats solid-quality serial of the kind you can find in almost every other season of Classic Who. I haven't seen it in ages though, it might be better than I remember!

The first episode of Revelation is really interesting. Lots of running threads, the daleks (and Davros) are just there and doing stuff rather than the story building to a crescendo revealing them (although I suspect the extremely low key first appearance of a dalek is the cliffhanger in the 4 episode cut). Only issue: the Doctor and Peri are essentially in a different story as they never interact with anyone from the indoor sets. It's like the worst bits of the Davison era "loving around in the tardis for an episode and a half" but outdoors.

Second episode though? Blehhhh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

which will FINALLY explain the question people have been asking for decades** as to why the poor brain damaged 3rd Doctor kept referring to himself as having been alive for thousands of years when Troughton made it clear he was "only" in his 400s.

** Nobody has ever asked this question.

People have asked this question

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Isn't Lungbarrow that story with the nonsense about the Looms and the Other that they wisely chose to keep out of the actual television show?

It's not so much that they kept it out of the programme as much as it was cancelled before they got there

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think somebody even once said they like Delta and the Bannermen once!

I mean, they lied, but they still said it!

One of my group for watching random Doctor Who stories on a Thursday night is an award winning (small award, mind) director who among other things writes essays for Criterion Collection releases. He's reviewing them for his patreon as he goes along, and I'm recording the scores.

He gave Delta and the Bannermen a higher score than, among others, The Ark in Space, The Invasion, The Web of Fear, The Silurians, Terror of the Zygons, and The Happiness Patrol.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

only the doctor who is talking is in shot

only the doctor who who is talking is in shot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Logopolis only destroyed one named planet, Traken (which was barely mentioned again even with Nyssa on board). It was bad in a different way.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Kinda - back on more solid footing. Boy, Adric does love to play that "villain takes him under his wing" card a whole lot

At least partially this is down to not knowing what to do with the companions (and in the case of State of Decay, not knowing that Adric was going to stay on until the very last minute)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

20th Anniversary Special: The Five Doctors - on the whole it's pretty bad, but given its' troubled production history, how could it have been anything but? It's a miracle it even got made, really. And it did give us the classic ":effort: No. Not the Mind Probe." scene, so you just have to love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuE8ZnKXIAY

is up there too

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Mutants is mentioned in the Satanic Verses, although not very accurately described.

This week's random story was The Planet of the Daleks, which had some things in it that could have been good but weren't (not helped by Terry Nation not realising that the programme had moved on since he had last written for it, in the Hartnell era).

One fantastic bit though had them escaping up a vent and the Doctor needing a rope to help him up to the top - the first one they threw down was too short, and the next one looked for all the world like they had just given up on him and were trying to throw a noose over his head:

He may be rude to Jo but come on, that's going a bit far

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

Decided to do a T-Bakes rewatch, which brought me to 'The Sontaran Experiment', which I hadn't seen in years. Considering it was written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin, who gained a reputation for goofiness with stories like 'The Invisible Enemy' and 'Nightmare of Eden'

The Nightmare of Eden is a potentially good story utterly let down by production issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The story has far too many factions and subplots for its own good, but the first episode of Resurrection of the Daleks has some really good world building. Compare the prison to the base in Warriors of the Deep a mere 3 stories ago - utterly incomparable.

And Lytton is bobbins, the Doctor is barely in it and spends most of his time shooting things, blah blah blah. We all know the problems