Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll watch it, and I'll hope for the best, and I hope it's great, and I really want it to be.

:sigh:

Anyway! I haven't really been keeping up with these due to a lot of things, but as always, shameless self-advertising! An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I constantly mix up the names for The Parting of the Ways and Doomsday, because each seems like a far more appropriate name for the other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They're all the same person so maybe they'd be the Timeless Childs :allears:

Well except for the fact the Doctor isn't the Timeless Child in the first place because that's just loving stupid :colbert: Can't wait for it to be tossed into the dustbin of stupid Doctor Who ideas everybody just pretends didn't happen like The Other and Half Human on my Mother's Side.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All I remember RTD saying is cracking a joke about how it turns out he did multi-Doctor stories after all because maybe everybody on the screen was actually secretly a mindwiped Doctor. Moffat similarly cracked a joke about how ALL THIRTEEN is underwhelming now because he should have had a few million TARDISes show up to save the day.

Because, you know, the concept of the Timeless Child is a loving joke :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Did that ever get brought up by big finish? Feel like it is something I would remember....

There's a 6th Doctor audio where to prevent anybody accessing the Eye of Harmony, he reprograms the TARDIS to Evelyn's eye instead since nobody will think that a human eye could open it. At the end of the story he muses to himself that he mustn't forget to change that back :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really hope the new half-season is good, and Chibnall somehow manages to finish on a high. I really do. If for no other reason than Jodie Whittaker deserves so much better than she's gotten.

:sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still more than willing to be optimistic and hope he learned from the issues of the last two seasons, especially given how much time he had to write this one (and it's only half the length of a regular season). I know I say it a lot, but the man wrote that first season of Broadchurch so he clearly CAN write very good television!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ after almost 11 months (which was 9 months after the last episode) FINALLY a new episode of Doctor Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I did like the "relief" payoff.

Edit: And I already like Dan - just showing up to museums to enthusiastically give tours he isn't qualified for.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 31, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Our baddie appears to be spikey red skeletor.

Did the actor change between killing and absorbing his guard? I wasn't entirely sure if the actress who played the guard was beneath the monster make-up once she was killed, or if it was the voice and look being different that threw me off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha what a little cutie this villain is :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe the TARDIS is fed up with its ugly console room too?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh, that's what she meant by taking the long way home.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Okay, I just realized you Brits aren't getting commercial breaks with your viewing, so you're going to be ahead of us Yanks.

Doctor Who.... with commercial breaks? I can't even imagine what that's like.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was all over the place and I imagine will make more sense with the context of the rest of the season, since it's obviously all one big story, but it was interesting at least. Dan is good, and without Graham and Ryan in the mix Yaz is actually getting to do something for a change which was nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Dan is already much better than Yaz. I missed the first few minutes so I'm going to watch them on iplayer.

We've had fifty years of development and stories for the Master, but I guess Chinball has decided that this bloke who looks like a recycled design from the Tim Shaw guy is THE DOCTOR'S TRUE AND SECRET ARCHNEMESIS all along. Plus with all the 7 pulled, this rings a little hollow in comparison.

Looking forward to the end of the season when he finds out the reason the Doctor doesn't remember him is because he's just one of a few dozen forgettable aliens she ran into a couple thousand years earlier as Ruth-Doctor before the Time Lords regenerated her into Pertwee and dumped him in Epping.

"Sorry you all kind of just... blended together..... after awhile. Ironic really, given what you do."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the redesign of the Sontarans when I saw the image, and I still like how they look... but I'm confused as to why they redesigned them to look like the more serious/dangerous versions from the 70s.... and then wrote dialogue where they're being comical again. I guess next episode we'll see what tone they choose to take.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Halloween Apocalypse gifsmp4s - it's been awhile! Click to view.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, it's clearly building up to some big reveal. Hopefully something that lets the "previous lives" thing be shunted away to wither and die like it should (they should keep Jo Martin though, she's cool!) and firmly establishes the same thing that has been firmly established time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again over the course of the revival and the entire classic series (apart from ONE throwaway scene that everybody hated and dismissed), that William Hartnell was the first Doctor.

It really, genuinely does bother me that the show would ever try and take that away. Not just because William Hartnell was the first actor, obviously, or that it reeks of a writer desperately trying to stamp their personal mark on the show forever (which will of course be discarded by the next writer regardless, have comic books taught these people nothing!?!), but because the 1st Doctor was an rear end in a top hat when he first appeared. I think it's gigantically important that the Doctor learned to be a better, more "human" person because unlike his people he exposed himself to outside ideas and philosophies, and he grew as a person thanks to his personal experiences with human beings and other "lesser" species and came to reject supremacism and prejudice and eventually become somebody who fought with everything they had to protect people and reject cruelty and malice.

Also they call him the Doctor before he used the fake name Doctor Foreman so Susan could go to school and socialize and Ian and Barbara called him Doctor automatically and the name stuck!

Turning that into,"There were a million billion Doctors before Hartnell and they were all naturally committed idealists!" is just... ugh. UGH!

Anyway forget all that bullshit, I largely liked the first episode and I am keeping my fingers crossed that once all six are out a lot of stuff that kind of doesn't make sense or felt weirdly paced will be recontextualized and come together as a greater whole. I certainly got the impression we were seeing a lot of people/events happening out of order that will come into sharper focus in individual episodes to come. It's new Doctor Who, we're watching new Doctor Who thank God!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do like that I went from the initial trailer reveal of him making me go,"It looks like a lovely Chewbacca" to the actual episode making me go "I love that good doggy very much :3:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, so wait, are we in for a year+ minimum hiatus before new who again after flux?

sadly in my head for some reason i thought that basically once flux had aired they would be starting on the next one.

There'll be three specials from Chibnall/Whittaker next year before the regeneration scene, which will presumably be filmed by RTD and his new production crew as has been the tradition up till now, then the new Doctor's first series will air in 2023.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I'm kind of assuming the next few episodes will each explore one of the mystery questions set-up and then a finale that brings them altogether and ties or unties a knot wrt to the Timeless Child and/or Timeless Childses

Yeah this is what I believe the season's 6 episode idea is about, everything that happens each episode is going to tie together and recontextualize the first episode, and indeed the next 2-3 episdes are likely to continue to introduce things that won't fully make sense till the 6th episode (if then) when everything comes together.

If Chibnall can pull it off, good! There was certainly enough going on in the first episode to make me want to see how it gets (hopefully) resolved.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BooDooBoo posted:

She's THE DOCTOR, but she's not remembered by The Doctor, until that gets fixed and she regenerates into Pertwee, and then we can team Jo up with Jamie on Big Finish, because Jamie is the best.

:hmmyes:

Aww man, :rip:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That house is loving awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Okay, I'm just going to say it; They need to give up on the sontarans being taken seriously as a threat. I dont care how many revamps they give them, that ship has absolutely sailed.

Now come on that's unfa-

watches Sontarans fail to hit Dan from 3 feet away with laser guns, then get beat up by pensioners

Oh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Russia and China are evil aliens, is it the 1970s?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd say that the handprint security being terrible is ridiculous... but it is the Sontarans!

SiKboy posted:

I'm glad the general stayed up all night making up his elaborate plan of... having all the troops run straight towards the sontarans on foot, trying to stab them with bayonets, and occasionally shooting his single cannon.

A British General, sending troops needlessly into death!?! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I've still got a human in this fight" :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apparently the Sontaran Commander hasn't heard of "shifts". To be fair, the Sontarans would probably lose their minds at the idea of having to stand guard instead of fight, but.... come on!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I remain intrigued. The Sontarans strategy was incredibly stupid but I guess that's par for the course for Sontarans, who also assumed that they were dealing with primitive idiots with firesticks who would never in a million years figure out where their base was, but I like the Sugar Skull aliens whose primary concern seems to be looking as fly as possible including hiring some big dude to hang out in the background being giant and not much else.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I like Disco Red Skull and his sister, the sugar skull gang, I look forward to the Passenger taking off his mask and revealing hes actually... gently caress I dont know, Dan, The Doctor or the Master at this point. Comedy prediction is the Curator. He just turned up and was off hand introduced ("this is the passenger, hes here now too" essentially) and either thats the worst storytelling ever (and believe me I'm not ruling that out), my memory is going and he was introduced last week and I forgot, or theres a dramatic reveal coming.

Absolutely, they're really enjoyable so far and I adore that Disco Red Skull (I love that name, thank you for this gift :)) just randomly showed up with this giant dude out of nowhere and the show just rolls with it. He definitely wasn't introduced last week so yeah there will be some big reveal to come, but it's hilarious that he's just there all of a sudden.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

After the timeless child stuff thing, am I the only one worried that Chibnall is going to be all the frozen people on the planet time where the real time lords all along, those guys on Gallifrey were just posers ALL ALONG!!!, but hopefully not.

Taking the most charitable view, I'm going to assume it'll be something that stands distinct in some way that he wants to jam into the show's continuity, like time didn't used to exist and everything was just a chaotic flux of everything and nothing at once and then time got established thanks to the Mouri or whatever, the universe assembled into something resembling order with the Sugar Skull Gang imprisoned to prevent them unraveling it, and then Rassilon and Omega came along however long later and invented time travel and Rassilon elevated selected Gallifreyans into Time Lords etc.

The less charitable view is that he's had some "what if actually THIS!" idea in his head since he was a teenager that he's determined to stamp down onto the show to CHANGE HOW WE SEE THE DOCTOR FOREVER and we just have to put up with it for another 7 episodes till RTD comes back and just ignores it and it just becomes a "remember that weird time they did this dumb thing?" part of the show's history, like "half human on my mother's side" or the Other or the Mobius Doctors or the 1st Doctor and Susan being refugees from the 50th Century or whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This season is like 98% written by Chibnall, so yeah the writing is very much a single person's vision for better or worse, as opposed to the writer's room setup they went for the last two seasons that doesn't seem to have really worked.

And yeah, for all my criticisms, the last two episodes have been enjoyable and I find the overarching plot intriguing so it's definitely a big step-up from the rather aimless feel of the previous season (which with only mild hyperbole feels like it aired 45 years ago now), and Dan is a great addition to the cast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

The thing is 'Rassilon was bad actually' is ground that has been well trodden by the expanded universe stuff, and has been part of the TV lore with the Timothy Dalton episodes.

I'm not sure if you took my post to be an endorsement of Rassilon or something or I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying here? But yeah Rassilon has been shown to be a monster as far back as The Five Doctors where the 2nd Doctor reveals that the image of him as a benevolent and wise ruler masked some incredibly hosed up things he did. Hell, maybe it even gets brought up in The Three Doctors? I can't remember if it is revealed there that Rassilon knowingly let Omega suffer for eternity in order to create time travel or that got retconned in later? Hell, I can't even remember if Rassilon is named in that serial or if he didn't get mentioned until the 4th Doctor's time?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 7, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah that was another weird thing, why the woman who found the Timeless Child wasn't Rassilon as opposed to ... I don't know, Chibnall's names are utterly forgettable, they keep saying what the Sugar Skull Gang's names are and I can't remember apart from "The Passenger".... since Rassilon is absolutely the kind of huge rear end in a top hat who would happily experiment on a kid they genuinely loved if they thought they could get some benefit out of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Fun fact: The actor who played Rassilon in The Timeless Children was picked so they could keep continuity with Zagreus of all things.

Rassilon was in The Timeless Children? I don't recall that at all. Or do you just mean the woman who got given some other weird name instead?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks JaKiri :)

And oh yeah, SWARM! That's Disco Red Skull's name. I'll try not to forget that. What is Swarm's sister's name?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha so he did "The Other" by stealth while also pointlessly referencing the Mobius Doctors? Jesus Christ, Chibnall :laugh:

SiKboy posted:

Azure I think? Something like that, because I was again slightly underwhelmed that the lady with the blue skins name is effectively "blue".

Maybe they were worried it would be too on the nose for The Red Skull's sister to be The Blue Skull?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 7, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah just wanna rave again about how loving cool the impossible house looked. I really want to know more about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

When did the Skull Villains pick up Darkseid?

Until we learn otherwise I'm going to assume Disco Red Skull appeared somewhere the dude was standing nearby, and when he moved the guy just kind of... silently followed. So DRS shrugged and just went with it, and even gave him a little passive-aggressive nickname of Passenger for shits and giggles. He won't do anything all season, just kind of stand around, and when DRS and his sister get beaten he'll just kind of... wander away.