Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

My computer is getting long in the tooth and not keeping up anymore. I got a new one. It's the first custom built machine I've done in 21 years. Anyway, I'd like to rejigger the old system to dual-book WinXP and DOS 6.22. That would run absolutely all of my legacy programs that can''t run on newer systems without emulation. What exactly do I need to do that? Is there's a handy little program to do it form me? I've not a care in the word if all the data are lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's very little that would run on XP but not Windows 10. Might be a better idea to install Win98 SE or even (shudder) ME which are basically just DOS frontends and you can easily boot into DOS with them?

A big problem is DOS has to be on a FAT16 hard drive. It might be easier to just have two hard drives; one for DOS and one for XP. Then you can simply choose which HD to boot from in your BIOS quick boot options.

Also you can use FREEDOS to get around the FAT16 thing.