Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Problem description: I am experiencing this strange issue when unlocking my Windows 10 PC: I press a key on my USB keyboard and the lock screen switches to where I can enter my password to unlock my computer. Then my keyboard will stop working a few seconds later, only allowing me to enter from zero to 3-4 characters of my password before the keyboard goes unresponsive. Sometimes, if I unplug a USB device (it can be any currently plugged in USB device, not just my keyboard) then any characters I may have typed while the keyboard is unresponsive will suddenly appear. Other times this wont work and I have to wait until my login attempt times out, taking me back to the lock screen where I can hit enter and try to enter my password once again.

The weird thing is that once I am logged in I experience zero USB issues of any kind.

It feels like a USB subsystem is going unresponsive during the screen unlock process, but is buffering keypresses until it recovers.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

I have five USB devices plugged in:

wired keyboard
wired mouse
logitech webcam
yeti blue usb microphone
Yubikey security dongle

I've tried various combinations of using the back USB ports and the front usb ports and an external USB hub with the five devices plugged in to one, two or three of these options.

I've tried updating drivers and bios. The event viewer is showing no USB errors.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

No.

Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 build 18363.1854 64-bit

System specs: Dell Optiplex 990 Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz, 32 GB RAM, SSD, etc.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 is fully updated.

You could also try connecting your keyboard through a USB to PS/2 adapter.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Windows 10 is fully patched yes.

And my PC doesn't have PS/2 plugs so that's out. Even so, it's strange how the phenomenon only surfaces during the login screen, not any time else.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try a different keyboard.

It wouldn't shock me if the YubiKey was having some bad effect either.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Swapped the keyboard with a known good (wired) keyboard and issue remains.

The yubikey could make sense, since it's part of authentication stuff. I'll try leaving it out and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

It turned out to be a power setting.

In Win10 - under Power Options - Advanced Settings there is an option called "USB selective suspend setting" under USB settings. Disabling that made the issue immediately disappear.

quote:

The USB selective suspend feature allows the hub driver to suspend an individual port without affecting the operation of the other ports on the hub. Selective suspension of USB devices is especially useful in portable computers, since it helps conserve battery power. Many devices, such as fingerprint readers and other kinds of biometric scanners, only require power intermittently. Suspending such devices, when the device is not in use, reduces overall power consumption.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/usb-selective-suspend