Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pentyne posted:

but they always need a villain, so when Harry hosed off they got diminishing returns from constantly gossiping about him and turned on William instead

Lol, the classic dynamic when the family scapegoat flies the coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
First thing Will is going to do is strip everything from Harry and Meghan which is gonna cause a huge shitstorm and it's going to be hilarious to see

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The hereditary job as a tourist attraction

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh hey look, it's Poochie the Prince, that awesome Prince you've never heard of before.

He'd make a swell King!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Seth Pecksniff posted:

First thing Will is going to do is strip everything from Harry and Meghan which is gonna cause a huge shitstorm and it's going to be hilarious to see

What if Lord Harry were to raise his banner in revolt? Far too risky without imprisoning him first. Then his lands can be seized with impunity.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Vengarr posted:

What if Lord Harry were to raise his banner in revolt? Far too risky without imprisoning him first. Then his lands can be seized with impunity.

The Holdings of Montecito, Califorlornia

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Harry’s Principality, Dukedom, et al., are all titular in nature. His (former) holdings are no longer in his direct demesne. When he tries to raise a levy of men at arms, he’ll find about ten people show up. The solution is to petition a Viking lord for command of said lord’s forces, and lead them into Britannia as Harry’s Host. He’ll fit right in with his ginger hair.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Harry will return into the fold of the One Church and field a crusader army paid for by the Holy See.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Harry will return into the fold of the One Church and field a crusader army paid for by the Holy See.

Sorry, Christendom can have only one crusade at a time and Putin just elevated his to a Holy war.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Go on Harry, hire an army of Norman mercenaries to retake Britain and do just about the funniest thing in history.

(For more info, Google Diarmait Mac Murchada)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Der Kyhe posted:

Sorry, Christendom can have only one crusade at a time and Putin just elevated his to a Holy war.

oh, Orthodox doesn't count

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

angerbot posted:

oh, Orthodox doesn't count

obviously

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Honestly, the current royals getting a bunch of historical battle re-enactor nerds to join in a giant LARP battles for the future of the monarchy would be the biggest value-add they could bring to the country in over a century.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How many times has Royal Knockout been mentioned itt already?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

every time there's new posts itt I click it and end up disappointed

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So I don't get why the royals don't just get alf to take over after Charlie bites it. Alfs more well liked then the royals, amd hasn't been doing much since the 80s. Plus most importantly i think he's meant to be abel to live hundreds oc years so saves on funerals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

Honestly, the current royals getting a bunch of historical battle re-enactor nerds to join in a giant LARP battles for the future of the monarchy would be the biggest value-add they could bring to the country in over a century.

Mixed notes result in Harry rallying a bunch of Civil War reenactors to his banner. Obviously including the giant spider robot.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
rolling up to harry's house with a homemade puffy sword and backpack full of lightning bolt tennis balls hollering GONDOR PLEDGES ITS AID

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

So I don't get why the royals don't just get alf to take over after Charlie bites it. Alfs more well liked then the royals, amd hasn't been doing much since the 80s. Plus most importantly i think he's meant to be abel to live hundreds oc years so saves on funerals.

Alf's back baby!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Love that Charles is saying that William isn't ready to be king. Unlike himself with a full and unspectacular year in the job. Maybe William is supposed to get an internship or spend a few years as a king of a minor country first.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not ready to sit in a solid gold chair and hold a golden stick while wearing a really stupid giant cloak

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

not ready to sign things you barely understand while getting pissy about the pen

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nonathlon posted:

Love that Charles is saying that William isn't ready to be king. Unlike himself with a full and unspectacular year in the job. Maybe William is supposed to get an internship or spend a few years as a king of a minor country first.

They say they want 5-10 years of experience being King. How the hell am I supposed to be a King before becoming the King???!

- Willy, probably

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
William needs to start gathering blackmail instead of being the victim of blackmail. Absolutely fundamental to kingship that you're the one with the spy network and not the one being spied upon.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

They say they want 5-10 years of experience being King. How the hell am I supposed to be a King before becoming the King???!

- Willy, probably

Charles III had a good 70 year run of wanting to be king

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Anne Whateley posted:

How many times has Royal Knockout been mentioned itt already?

anne was there to gently caress people up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nonathlon posted:

I think traditionally you can do that, you just gotta conquer it first

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

They should have sent him off to be ward of some other royal to get experience and strengthen diplomatic ties.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

What does "not ready to be King" even mean. It's a non-job. Do you have to get in the right mindset to have your bum wiped for you or something?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'm assuming William has passed Ruling 101: Intro to Monarchy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nobody Interesting posted:

What does "not ready to be King" even mean. It's a non-job. Do you have to get in the right mindset to have your bum wiped for you or something?

It literally just involves not having someone take you're power and not dying. As chalies seems like he's been having trouble the entire time with not doing the later, not sure he's in any postion to judge about who'd make a good king.

Seriously pretty much any rando off the street eould be better than charles at it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Willy just needs to be coached up, crash training course. 3 full days and he's certified.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

William is lazy and doesn't take the "job" (as such, lol) seriously, he used Kates pregnancies, and then having kids, and now her untimely death and installation of a doppelganger to drop out of absolutely everything he possibly could so other royals had to take up the slack, and has shown no indication he will not keep doing that. Now if you're like, I don't know, Beatrice or someone useless who no one cares about I doubt anyone would care, but in Williams case he's literally heir to the throne and will have to do royal engagements every single day as king.

Charles is right to think he's not yet suited to kingship and arguably should make Anne Queen. Comedy option, Harry.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If anything the King should be taking less meetings. Makes the access more exclusive, y'know?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
it's a royal engagments. Just send someone to wave out the window of a limo every so often. Whatever.

People are acting like it's some kind of real job.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

nonathlon posted:

I could see both Australia and Canada chomping at the bit to take on a trainee King as Governor-General. In fact back in 2019 there was apparently a (rejected) proposal to give Australia Harry. In fairness he would be leagues better than the current dipshit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nobody Interesting posted:

Being a king/queen is not a non-job. They are expected to do a lot of 'essential' ceremonial and diplomatic bullshit, even to the point of giving speeches to the nation that were written for them by the govt. The entire UK 'democracy' is held together by their sheer existence, and without them and their willing participation, Parliament would cease to function.

From all accounts, William is very stupid, extremely arrogant and prone to aggression. I guess the royal staff expected to have a decade or more left to try and mould him into a statesperson, so there is genuine panic at the thought of him being king in a year or two. lol

e: Can I have 'William dies in a car accident' on my bingo card?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Regency 2.0: Regent Harder.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

fuctifino posted:

The entire UK 'democracy' is held together by their sheer existence, and without them and their willing participation, Parliament would cease to function.
british parliament is good enough at crumbling on it's own. No outside help required.

quote:

Oh god, a game of thrones with the current uk royals would be so pathetic. It be something like an 80s soap oprea, but with far stupider and less intresting people. Plot would be just as dumb and convoluted though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

fuctifino posted:

Being a king/queen is not a non-job. They are expected to do a lot of 'essential' ceremonial and diplomatic bullshit, even to the point of giving speeches to the nation that were written for them by the govt. The entire UK 'democracy' is held together by their sheer existence, and without them and their willing participation, Parliament would cease to function.

From all accounts, William is very stupid, extremely arrogant and prone to aggression. I guess the royal staff expected to have a decade or more left to try and mould him into a statesperson, so there is genuine panic at the thought of him being king in a year or two. lol

Oh, I think read spoilers for this. William gets poisoned by Kate's grandma and they pin it on his uncle.