Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Playin yakuza arcade games made me think about this and I was just reminded of it with the ff pixel remasters. I never use it because it looks unnatural on an hd screen but i know a lot of old games utilized it, making it look weird or lovely with the smoothness of the remake. Does it just take getting used to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Yes I do OP

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i simply do not play the remakes so i am yet to make this decision

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I don't play the remakes, I play on a CRT - and if I am emulating I use retroarch shader easy-crt, which is as close as you can get imo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
no

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
well it's a complicated situation

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
2d games i prefer to blow things up pixel-perfect with square pixels unless the aspect ratio gets completely hosed as a result like with a lot of mame games

3d games i try and upres to higher resolutions if the emulator allows

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

I don't play the remakes, I play on a CRT - and if I am emulating I use retroarch shader easy-crt, which is as close as you can get imo

:hai: except i never emulate

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

For like 5 minutes to see how it looks.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

When I’m emulating 16 bit games yeah.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There’s a VR retro arcade game that IIRC has more convincing CRT effects due to being 3D, OP. But it’s blurry because of the VR. At least with the headset I have. Lol

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I always make sure scanlines are turned off. Furthermore, I use pixel-perfect mode instead of 4:3

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No, OP.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I built a raspberry pi, set up retro pie, downloaded 3000 roms then got overwhelmed and never played a single one

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

John Romero posted:

I built a raspberry pi, set up retro pie, downloaded 3000 roms then got overwhelmed and never played a single one

why don't you have a seat over there

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

why don't you have a seat over there

Lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

crts and original hardware are the worst way to play op, so i turn that crt filter bs off and crank up supersai eagle 4x and ai interpolation to smooth out animation on my emubox from alibaba express. doing this + plugging the composite cables makes yoshi's island look incredible. graphical filters + 15 frames of input lag = yoshi is now a modern day videogame character like dave days gone and horthur st. horse.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

trying to jack off posted:

:hai: except i never emulate

only when absolutely required, I'm not paying 700 dollars for Burning Rangers on sega saturn

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
for best results old low res games need to be in 4:3/3:4 depending on orientation and need to have some kind of antialiasing, ideally a convincing scanline effect, but bilinear filtering works in the absence of such an effect. crts are all going to die so good looking shaders on low lag flat panel screens is the future for old gaming

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Caithness posted:

I always make sure scanlines are turned off. Furthermore, I use pixel-perfect mode instead of 4:3

thats the wrong aspect ratio though. im going to kick your loving rear end

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I always stick to 4:3 and then play around with what looks best.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Someone post the bob sotn wide image.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mycophobia posted:

for best results old low res games need to be in 4:3/3:4 depending on orientation and need to have some kind of antialiasing, ideally a convincing scanline effect, but bilinear filtering works in the absence of such an effect. crts are all going to die so good looking shaders on low lag flat panel screens is the future for old gaming

this

mysterious loyall X posted:

crts and original hardware are the worst way to play op, so i turn that crt filter bs off and crank up supersai eagle 4x and ai interpolation to smooth out animation on my emubox from alibaba express. doing this + plugging the composite cables makes yoshi's island look incredible. graphical filters + 15 frames of input lag = yoshi is now a modern day videogame character like dave days gone and horthur st. horse.

but also this.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

only when absolutely required, I'm not paying 700 dollars for Burning Rangers on sega saturn

i will play that once i own a saturn

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mycophobia posted:

thats the wrong aspect ratio though. im going to kick your loving rear end

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I have a CRT arcade cabinet it's kinda neat to see things rendered on it. And I appreciated how stuff was designed for CRT. But I used emulators so much when they came out that the raw pixels seem more natural and what I'm used to than anything else.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I play with the Blur filter.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I play with the Blur filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnAGtVDq64w

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lmao

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lmao thank you

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

there's another screenshot that includes his stream title that's like I know it's messed up im trying to fix it

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I was wondering which Retroarch shader to use, so thanks

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

b_d posted:

there's another screenshot that includes his stream title that's like I know it's messed up im trying to fix it

oh sick it's right in the qp.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

b_d posted:

oh sick it's right in the qp.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Joan posted:

I was wondering which Retroarch shader to use, so thanks