Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the democrats are going to get utterly crushed and frankly they're going to deserve it after this utter shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
honestly im shocked that after six months of nonstop coverage about what is being cut out of the bills literally anyone thinks they know what's still in them

i would be surprised if joe manchin actually knows what is still in the bills

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

quote:

Al Riutort, 80, from Newport News, said he still favors Biden, but has had a hard time pointing out to friends and neighbors the significant things the president has done, other than not being Trump.

“I think he’s trying to play nice,” said Riutort, a retired city planner, who favors McAuliffe, but believes the former governor will lose on Tuesday in part because of Biden’s insistence on compromise with an infighting Democratic Party.

“I think it’s hurting him. And I think the Democrats not being able to move forward with some important bills is really hurting him and it’s going to hurt McAuliffe. I was telling my wife, I said, you know, why is it that you know, that two senators, the one from West Virginia and the one from Arizona, how can they have so much leverage over him? Doesn’t he have any power to say ‘look, I need your votes?’ ”

quote:

“We’ve got these two wild card senators who, you know, are trying to be more moderate, and who are blocking a lot of this progressive change that many, many, many Americans want. That’s actually very, very popular with the majority of Americans,” White said. “And that is frustrating to me, you know, I don’t get this idea that progress can be held back by a minority of people. And them not finding a way forward, that part of it is very frustrating for me.”

love to see random vox pops saying things that wouldn't be out of place itt

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wow i wonder why young voters might be fed up with both political parties, it is a big mystery

it must be because they want more joe manchin

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao at that poll:

Q: Do you approve or disapprove of the job Joe Biden is doing as president? [And, would you say
you strongly approve/disapprove of the job he is doing or just approve/disapprove?]

Democrats: Strongly approve 35%, approve 49%, disapprove 8%, strongly disapprove 3%
Independents: Strongly approve 13%, approve 26%, disapprove 16%, strongly disapprove 36%
Republican: Strongly approve 1%, approve 5%, disapprove 10%, strongly disapprove 80%

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

We live in hell world, so the dems will make very slight gains in 2022 that will vindicate their strategies while still leaving the dems in congress deadlocked against their own party. Everything will get worse but nobody will do anything

losing a couple seats in the house so they have a majority of like two and gaining one senate seat so that manchin and sinema can still block literally everything

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
or even better, electing like five new democratic senators but then it turns out they're all clones of joe manchin, just an entire democratic senate caucus made up of coal barons who are very concerned about the nanny state

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Cap'n Chuck's "Oops! All Manchins" Senate majority

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the democrats are already getting destroyed in 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

when i was in politics in 2020 i had a couple staffers for another state elected official run into my office the day bernie dropped out of the primary and rub it in my face (i went to the private sector shortly after). R's won statewide by 10 points that year and they found out their boss lost his job to some chud after the election results came in. i sent them a text congratulating them on getting the election they wanted and they got all the other libs mad at me.

i think about that exchange a lot now

ive become convinced that the dems dont want to lose, theyre just so out of touch that they legitimately dont realize that what matters to democratic insiders doesnt matter to the overwhelming majority of voters and what matters to the overwhelming majority of voters doesnt matter to democratic insiders, so they live in a great big filter bubble where they only ever talk to other lanyards who convince them that things are going great because all the lanyards they talked to recently agreed with them on the lanyard things

like there is a reason why chuck schumer had to invent a fictional family to run his policies by, because he doesnt know any real people and more importantly he doesnt want to know any real people so he just makes them up and pretends they agree with what he already wants to do

they dont want to lose, they just honestly do not know any way of doing politics other than the way that inevitably loses

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eggplant Squire posted:

An issue is that there is no penalty for failure. The Clintonian wing threw the 2016 election with a disasterous campaign and here we are in 2021 where one of their guya basically recreates that exact strategy on a smaller scale and whoops loses again.

this is certainly true - it's not like hillary clinton or terry mcauliffe are going to suffer real personal consequences from their losses. but i don't think it's accurate to say that they throw these elections. there is no doubt in my mind that hillary clinton really, desperately wanted to be president in 2016 and tried her absolute hardest to win because she wanted to be president clinton, it's just that she and her entire wing of the party are so out of touch and incompetent that their best turned out to be an abysmal effort that actively alienated everyone who wasnt them, and theyre also so stupid that five years later they're still trying the same losing strategy because it's what resonates with them and their insider friends and they never bother to listen to anybody else to learn that what they think are winning messages actively alienate everyone else

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I am convinced at this point that while maybe that's true for ground level dem campaign staff, donors and strategists wiuld absolutely rather tank an election than permit real change away from establishment policies

yeah this is also absolutely true

people like clinton or mcauliffe want to win but they don't want to win in order to actually do anything with their power, if anything they want to win so that they can stop anything from changing because the status quo works for them, and if threatened by a campaign that threatens to actually change anything and maybe threaten their hold over the party, then a lot of influential figures would rather lose - but there it's crucial to recognize that they're never the ones running those campaigns so they aren't tanking themselves, they're tanking campaigns that are theoretically run by other democrats who might threaten their authority

basically i think the dull uninspired politics of "the status quo is fine, america is already great, lets keep everything the same as it is now" goes hand in hand with the incompetent campaigning because the people for whom america is working great are out of touch with the majority of the population and so they run campaigns that only appeal to fellow insiders for whom america is working great. And if that wing of the party is ever threatened by an insurgency then they'll tank the insurgency at all costs so that the "everything is fine" Clintonite coalition stays in charge for next time even if it means spending a cycle or fifty out of power

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao tim kaine learned nothing in 2016

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1455954223162707971

if voters wanted to learn about the issues they could go to mcauliffe's website!!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

:lol:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the demoncraps

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

im pretty sure that many GOP yes votes means pelosi couldve passed the bill any time she wanted by just ignoring the progressives lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The progressive caucus is much larger than those 6. Like 80 progressives folded on this.

that makes more sense

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

How long until the GOP has enough majority for a constitutional convention that makes the democratic party illegal?

lol why would they do this and risk a competent opponent arising in its place?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MLSM posted:

If it came to this, do you really think it would just be the democrats who get outlawed out of existence bud?

even a one-party state could have a more competent opposition than the democrats

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

The dem story is once how they win a majority, they find reasons not to do anything with their new found political power.

at least theyve now talked themselves down from "we can't get anything done because we only have 59 senators" to "we can't get anything done because we only have 50 senators"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vernii posted:

Because the "ruling class" isn't a united faction and the GOP establishment has been increasingly captured by the insane true believer base that thinks even their most tepid opponents are literal communists.

The whole controlled opposition thing is how the system used to work but now it's breaking down and while the Democratic side of it is still functioning as intended the Republican side of it has turned into a howling mob of death cult fascists that want autocracy.

Edit: lol we'll probably get a GOP constitutional convention at the same time as Trump's second term and any facade of the country not being a dictatorship will be swept away even if it's an obviously bad idea because the Trump administration is a perfect storm of malevolence and stupidity.

the dumbest possible result would be a constitutional convention convenes but it turns out the only actual amendment 38 states can agree on is getting rid of term limits so trump can be president forever, so that's what will happen

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

The weirdest thing is how insistent the libs are that voters only respond to racism and don't care about projects that benefit them. They just memory holed that a black guy with a foreign name won the presidency twice based on a tissue of lies about providing a better life for voters.

I know they want to hold up Virginia as a counter argument but what the gently caress did McAuliffe actually campaign on? What story did he spin for voters about past successes and future goals? Dems are just the laziest dogshits who think people should be happy with the barest scraps of incremental progress and consider it beneath them to even give an accounting of what they *have* done.

look at this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/dannybarefoot/status/1457785356821032967

VA voters thought Democrats have better policy but Republicans are closer to their culture.

https://twitter.com/dannybarefoot/status/1457775196211855360

https://twitter.com/dannybarefoot/status/1457787187911483393

https://twitter.com/dannybarefoot/status/1457788114022264834

the actual way for democrats to win is to enact policies that help people and then hammer home a narrative that they're enacting the policies that help people, but instead they campaign on nothing except "we all hate that boogeyman, don't we folks?" which is clearly a losing strategy - in this election even people voting for the supposed Trump-lite candidate don't like Trump so clearly the attempt to say "heythat guy is just like Trump" was a complete failure, and even the bills Democrats do pass, they're absolute dogshit at convincing people that those bills would help anyone, because they wouldn't

as you say in your post, it's clear that you can win over voters, even racist voters, by promising to actually improve their lives, the Dems are just complete losers in every possible way

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oh word? who could have predicted this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, 'pro-genocide' is a bit redundant because if you are anti-genocide you won't be allowed anywhere near the Presidency. Dems just have to pretend to be sad about supporting it ("Do not come" etc.).

The two sides are "pro-genocide" and "preemptively reaching across the aisle to say we'll compromise on half a genocide"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if you walk away from the table feeling like both sides got a little genocide, that's how you know you've made a good bipartisan deal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

thats in the bill? blow to go on all cars? lol

catering to the enormous "let alcoholics die in wildfires" demographic

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
looking forward to the first death from someone opening a bottle of liquor on the highway and their steering wheel locking up, sending them into oncoming traffic

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

that isn't blood it's victory wine

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

Watching the political equivalent of that famous Germany vs Brazil World Cup 7-1 match but thinking Brazil did pretty well in the whole thing.

watching that match and thinking "well this puts brazil in a great position for four years from now"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Republican make being a Democrat illegal: "This will just mobilize voters come next election!"

if you think about it hitler rounding up communists and putting them in camps was just gerrymandering

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
give the democrats a break, they've only been in charge of the house for the past three years, how were they supposed to know you could introduce bills to do things?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
according to a new study, voters across the west agree on a ton of things, and the number one thing they agree on is that they loving hate each other

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

The SALT repeal was so transparently stupid that I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it ends up being a major point for republican attack ads next year, this one is just the start.

it's really funny because it's not wrong to say that the Republicans put in the SALT change to gently caress over blue states, but also repealing it benefits millionaires, almost as if the Democratic base in blue states is millionaires :thunk:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LastInLine posted:

It's mostly illustrative as to the level of opposition one would face in actually taxing the rich. Honestly if you can't get this to stick in what was a pretty normal tax code change to facilitate the transfer of wealth upward you won't get anything.

yeah, like it is extremely telling that the only part of the Trump tax cuts that the Dems are willing to undo is the part that raised certain taxes on certain millionaires. All the other stuff that cut taxes for those same people gets to stay.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

It's like something thought a combo that would win the most loathsome dem playoff contest / brackets should be a real world ticket.

for me it's an opinion that epitomizes the beltway brain that thinks most moderate = most popular

basically, median voter theory featuring two of the most hated people in their own party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

still never really understood how this is supposed to help anything since calling someone racist doesn't make them dissolve into thin air

the solution is to run a strong manly man like joe biden