Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

The evil company that I work for continues to be good at the pandemic (terrible at everything else), and are now shutting down all plans to switch to hybrid/return to office until after Christmas at least.

Spent the night feeling like there was bullet made of phlehm lodged in my esophagus, hacked it up this morning and was happy to get a negative test result. Good thing too as work is opening back up in the face of covid's steady decline, so I can share whatever this is with everyone tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Question IRL posted:

* = Something that is controversial but all the social welfare/tax benefits that families with children get are well earned and probably should be increased. You aren't a bad person if you decide not to have children, but you are a good person if you do have children and raise them right.

I don't think that's controversial from a left wing perspective; raising a child is expensive. What's lovely is when it's used to divide people into deserving and undeserving recipients of welfare, but I think everyone here knows that it's the people that try to foment that divide that are at fault.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That reminds me that I want to set up a donation to the RNLI - even more so if they have to deal with shits like that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Something that is controversial but all the social welfare/tax benefits that families with children get are well earned and probably should be increased.
Mostly controversial with ham people who have memory-holed all the help that they got raising a family as somehow not counting.

There's proverbs dating back a long way about "if you feed a child they'll feed you back [n] times" and so on, and if it weren't true I imagine we'd have found out somewhere around the time we went extinct.

Tax credits themselves are Blairite Reaganomics bullshit designed to separate the 'deserving' and 'undeserving' parents though, so I'd rather all families supporting children got child welfare support regardless of whether they need it or not than some get welfare and others get tax credits and only one of those gets demonized as handouts for asbo children.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tarnop posted:

I don't think that's controversial from a left wing perspective; raising a child is expensive. What's lovely is when it's used to divide people into deserving and undeserving recipients of welfare, but I think everyone here knows that it's the people that try to foment that divide that are at fault.

I'm not sure about that. I can remember last year (during the height of the Pandemic) this thread going into a derail about whether it was moral or not to have children with the Pandemic going on. (And the associated argument of "if you want children so bad, just adopt one. There is millions of them out there and it's better for the environment than creating more." Which really strikes me as taking arguments about should you get a puppy and doing a Find/Replace dog with child.)
And occasional I have seen people here get angry about politicians using "I am a parent" as a sign of competence for decision making, saying that parents and traditional families are shown too much deference by the current system.

However I think in some cases it is posters showing trauma from having been endlessly questioned about "when you are having children? What do you mean you aren't?"

People shouldn't be made feel like they owe a duty or an expectation to have kids. But on the flip side, those who do decide to have children should be lauded and given as much support as needed.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 30, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Those are a bunch of different, separate arguments.

I think it's pretty uncontroversial here to say that people who exist, no matter what sequence of decisions led up to that point, deserve enough resources to live a happy and fulfilling life

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Parents and 'traditional' families are shown too much deference by the current system, especially given that the idea of the traditional family is something fabricated entirely by modernity.

When's the last time that you heard something positive being said about multi-generational households or extended families? Last year during the height of the pandemic they were being blamed for spreading Covid on purpose while the government was doing nothing about people being sent straight from hospital into care homes. And single parents, despite often needing more in the way of support, have been a useful kickball for successive governments since at least the 70s when the rhetoric went from "oh dear, we need to help" to "this is moral decline!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

my theory is that everyone's forgotten just how much colds suck and between that and paranoia about Delta (and now Omicron) it all just *feels* much worse than it actually is - I mean with a couple of paracetamol and a squirt of decongestant I was straight back to normal apart from feeling a bit tired, I feel like in the Before Times I wouldn't even have noticed it.
My wife has it at the moment, and given that I've had a running nose, headaches and a cough / asthma playing up for the last few weeks (tested negative for Covid 3 times), she must have got it from me.

She's currently suffering like hell and asking how the hell I managed to get out of bed while being that exhausted and

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Parents and 'traditional' families are shown too much deference by the current system, especially given that the idea of the traditional family is something fabricated entirely by modernity.

When's the last time that you heard something positive being said about multi-generational households or extended families? Last year during the height of the pandemic they were being blamed for spreading Covid on purpose while the government was doing nothing about people being sent straight from hospital into care homes. And single parents, despite often needing more in the way of support, have been a useful kickball for successive governments since at least the 70s when the rhetoric went from "oh dear, we need to help" to "this is moral decline!"

There's a plausible hypothesis that politicians love the 'nuclear' family so much because it's the smallest possible family unit that can still work and raise children while being isolated, vulnerable and easy to control. People who have the support of big, clannish, extended family networks ate going to be far less likely to put up with a lovely job or automatically comply with State demands, because they don't have the same constant fear of ending up on the street if their salary gets switched off.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's a plausible hypothesis that politicians love the 'nuclear' family so much because it's the smallest possible family unit that can still work and raise children while being isolated, vulnerable and easy to control. People who have the support of big, clannish, extended family networks ate going to be far less likely to put up with a lovely job or automatically comply with State demands, because they don't have the same constant fear of ending up on the street if their salary gets switched off.

This is certainly my thinking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

I agree with that, but it seems we've got a generation of politicians who have forgotten that the nuclear family is only viable with large scale state intervention and support, so "we support the traditional family" has gone from "we've got council houses and public sector jobs and infrastructure" to "I'm not too keen on the gays and single mums". The deference has become entirely the dogwhistle, plus some tax credits for the 'right' families. ("We are not alcoholics, or violent, or drug abusers. We are well-educated, middle-class" as that Times article succinctly starts. Those are the two classes.)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

You aren't a bad person if you decide not to have children, but you are a good person if you do have children and raise them right.

My sister & her hubby did that for their eight kids (she was a primary school teacher :shrug: ) and they did a wonderful job, just not one i could do. :cheersbird:

edit: to create a coherent sentence.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 30, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Having kids when you can just get a dog is baffling imo

zhar
May 3, 2019

a potted plant is more than enough responsibility for me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I made a kid a few weeks ago and so far it's been really quite affordable. Mostly because everyone else is constantly throwing their baby stuff away so getting free baby stuff is incredibly easy. So far we've spent like £500 but accumulated £3000 worth of baby stuff (and the child benefit, worth £86 a month, is mitigating some of what little we've spent. Soon this baby will have made us money)

The childcare next year is where costs are really going to bite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want a benefit for not having children, way I see it I'm doing all of you, including the child, a big favour by not doing it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I want a benefit for not having children, way I see it I'm doing all of you, including the child, a big favour by not doing it.

Your benefit is the gift of sleep, oh how I miss it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes I am benefiting that way but I want the government to give me money for it. Or more specifically I want the government to give me money and I am using that as the excuse because I think it is a good excuse and only slightly seems like some sort of ransom demand.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Your benefit is the gift of sleep, oh how I miss it

We are blessed with a little angel baby who decided that she wanted to sleep through the night at the 2 and a half month mark.
When I say this to other mums and dads, I get this look like "you don't realize how good you got it."
(In fairness I do still remember how bad it was in the early days of trying to operate on no sleep. Driving on the motorway and realizing that I was falling asleep while driving still haunts my dreams.)

But yeah the ultimate benefit that non parents get is they don't have to deal with all the stuff parents deal with. (Sleepless nights, constant screaming, having to do endless washing of clothes/disinfecting of bottles/soothers/nipper shields.)

It's like that bit from the Council of Reed Richards in Fantastic Four. "The cost of Fixing Everything, is everything*."

*= To sum it up for non nerds, a cross Multiverse group of Reed Richards get together to solve all the Universes problems. The 616 Reed is offered to join. He discovers that how all these alternate universe Reeds have to time to fix all the Universes problems is they all are estranged from their families. 616 decides that is too high a price even to fix the universe.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/29/someone-needs-a-kick-up-the-butt-bexley-voters-consider-tories-record

quote:

... Sue Buckley, a retired Sidcup resident, said she would “love Boris to sort himself out” and “might vote Labour”. However her criticisms extended to wider frustrations with the government. “Someone needs a kick up the butt,” she said. “I don’t believe them any more. They backtrack a lot.” ...

Lmao what is anyone smoking that they think that Labour might win this by-election, or that people who would "love Boris to sort himself out" will ever be Labour supporters.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

my theory is that everyone's forgotten just how much colds suck and between that and paranoia about Delta (and now Omicron) it all just *feels* much worse than it actually is

There was a doctor on the new a few weeks back saying the 'super' cold is just the regular cold, except everyone's immune system has had 18 months off and is a bit rusty

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
where was the cold for those 18 months? Someone was sitting there with it for all that time?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This is some properly dystopian poo poo:

https://twitter.com/sarahoconnor_/status/1465630149269987334?t=sTw05jJzgkkdwln5rIoI2g&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Common cold can remain dormant in your lungs for months after an infection. Changes in your immune system caused by fatigue or colder weather can cause it to reactivate and reinfect the host.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I made a kid a few weeks ago and so far it's been really quite affordable. Mostly because everyone else is constantly throwing their baby stuff away so getting free baby stuff is incredibly easy. So far we've spent like £500 but accumulated £3000 worth of baby stuff (and the child benefit, worth £86 a month, is mitigating some of what little we've spent. Soon this baby will have made us money)

The childcare next year is where costs are really going to bite

make a reminder in your calendar to set up a childcare tax free account with .gov (google it), knocks of >£100 per month

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Skarsnik posted:

There was a doctor on the new a few weeks back saying the 'super' cold is just the regular cold, except everyone's immune system has had 18 months off and is a bit rusty

that isn't how immune systems work :mad:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

How to determine if someone is a 'good culture fit' when CVs are anonymized.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've had somewhat more sympathy for hirers recently after I put a job ad out two weeks ago and got 112 applicants. Where the gently caress do you begin with 112 CVs? It ends up just being a massive exercise of "no, no, no" without any realistic possibility of offering any feedback as to why.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I reckon a computer would probably like me better than a person might

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

One of the worst things I ever did as an undergrad was have a practise interview videoed by the careers office and played back to me with critique.
Watching the video back, I just spent the whole time thinking "who is going to employ THAT" (I had horrendous acne at the time) and it completely destroyed my self-confidence.

So, not only were graduate jobs almost non-existent when I graduated (1981 was a dreadful year for graduate recruitment, the careers office was just fully of racks of completely empty company folders, the jobs fair ('milkround') was cancelled, and I've mentioned before, around 500 of the 'top' graduates in the UK who had been recruited by IBM were sacked before they even started work, but I hardly dared apply for anything anyway.

I'm sure one of the major reasons employers are finding it hard to recruit nowadays is the use of AI and online forms, whether it be searching online applications for keywords, complete lack of scope for anyone who hasn't a linear career showing a steady progression of slightly better jobs in the same field with a steady salary increase.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's also massively discriminatory against Autistic people, but given that its treatment of neurotypical people isn't really any better, I'd say that's the least of its problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're just talking to a camera in general that's gonna make you look like a weird robot unless you are specifically practiced at acting. Your body language doesn't work if you aren't talking to a person, or at least you cannot mentally trick yourself into acting as if you are, which is a skill I don't think many people just have.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lib Dems to announce a skills wallet to train in interacting with two ping pong balls on a mop handle like CG movie actors.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

If you're just talking to a camera in general that's gonna make you look like a weird robot unless you are specifically practiced at acting. Your body language doesn't work if you aren't talking to a person, or at least you cannot mentally trick yourself into acting as if you are, which is a skill I don't think many people just have.

Don't worry, the replies have a solution
https://twitter.com/sarahoconnor_/status/1465653611296403456?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ah the classic three drinks and I'm invincible tactic, I know it all too well.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

where was the cold for those 18 months? Someone was sitting there with it for all that time?
strains of flu have literally been going extinct

my 10 week old has slept through the night since day 1. Insisted on doing it on my chest for the first week or 2 mind, but I feel like I've won the lottery & look forward to my karmic punishment

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've done plenty of interviews hungover, not sure ever drunk.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Imagine approaching anything related to work without a permanent state of inebriation.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

strains of flu have literally been going extinct

my 10 week old has slept through the night since day 1. Insisted on doing it on my chest for the first week or 2 mind, but I feel like I've won the lottery & look forward to my karmic punishment

Covid has nuffin on baby plague when they start going to nursery.

We need a study where someone does these things while under the influence of various substances.

Who knew LSD + cocaine would make the AI think you were a fantastic applicant?

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Barry Foster posted:

that isn't how immune systems work :mad:

Ugh, fine. Everyone's Euler system has had 18 months off.

Guavanaut posted:

Lib Dems to announce a skills wallet to train in interacting with two ping pong balls on a mop handle like CG movie actors.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 30, 2021