Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think if Murdoch made a suggestion to me while “dandling” my child on his knee I’d take it as a blood-chilling threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Camrath posted:

I’m trading today in a market in North Shropshire, and the political candidates are out in force for the by-election.

During my breaks I’ve thus far told the RefUK woman to ‘get to gently caress’ and harangued the Labour candidate as ‘a blairite wanker who could only get the nomination through a stitch-up’. (Incidentally he was surrounded by a crowd of posh, disgustingly clean cut Young Labour clones- he looked like a very specific sort of pimp) Now I’m looking for a Tory or Lib Dem to bully to complete the trifecta.

Is this praxis?

Did you tell them to … wait for it… “go and fudge themselves”?

I’ll accept whatever probation this merits. It was worth it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The most common one I've managed to chase out of people is that it's not what he would do, so much as him being anti-Israel emboldens other people who will attack Jewish people.

Because if there's one thing we definitely know about racists, it's that they (a) need encouragement and (b) listen to Corbyn.

Actually Finkelstein is the name of the doctor, the monster's name is Adam Jeremy Corbyn.

There are also antisemites on the left. The argument about Corbyn increasing AS is flawed but don’t pretend that AS is limited to the right

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tarnop posted:

He didn't say on the left. He said listening to Corbyn. An antisemite isn't listening to Corbyn about Israel, they're just taking their pre-existing racism and deciding that the stance of a lifelong anti-racist somehow validates it. Kind of like when someone reads a post and responds to what they wish it said instead of what it actually said.

You are drawing a very fine and I think effectively meaningless distinction between people who listen to Corbyn, and people on the left. As I read it (maybe wrongly) OP was implying that people who listen to Corbyn (leftists) aren’t racists, i.e. there are no left-wing racists.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You made me go back and reread my own post, which is an absolutely unforgivable crime. Note I didn't mention the words 'the left.' As OP let me confirm that was not my meaning, and you'd have to take a very selective interpretation to get there.

Another way of rewording my point would be that racists are going to be racist no matter who says what. A guy who hates jewish people does not need Corbyn mildly criticising the illegal occupation of the west bank to climb over a barrier at a football game and claw screaming at Stephen Fry's face (a thing that actually did happen).

I would say that the overlap between 'people who are politically aligned with Corbyn' and 'racists, in particular people who hate jewish people' is a venn diagram with an overlap labelled 'people who have never listened to a single word from Corbyn, just his monstering in the Sun / Mail / Express and thought that version sounded good.' However I fully anticipate being told that Venn Diagrams don't work like that.

There is antisemitism on the left. There is antisemitism in the general population. There is statistical evidence that it is no worse in leftist groups than it is in the general population.

There is however a lot of evidence that the label of 'racist antisemite' fits better on ham faced mechanics whining into their divorce papers about JaReMy CrObNy than it does the chad leftist.

Yep, that all makes complete sense. (I’m not being sarcastic).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Also unable to provide good advice, on this subject or in general, but congratulations too!

(I always feel weird congratulating people for being lgbtq because while on the one hand yes it does make you cooler, on the other hand it is also hard work and generally not elective)

I think one can congratulate someone for making a difficult choice or decision that is ultimately true to themselves. You’re congratulating the action not the status. (Congratulations, BTW!)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

I have never seen your press savage the Tories as badly as this and Boris is still going to clobber Starmer worse than he did Corbyn.

Are even papers like the Mail and Express turning on them?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
my wife and I a friend of mine has been microdosing LSD fir a while and reports that it’s good, specially when they take a bit much and it stops being sub-perceptual.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Succession is absolutely brilliant; one of the best things for years. It’s really phenomenally good. And the writer is spot-on: being very wealthy fucks you up in very specific ways. I don’t have a great deal of sympathy but he’s not wrong.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Perfect Element posted:

I think you can have a smidgeon of empathy with billionaire fail children because it's an incredibly hosed up environment to grow up in, but still wholeheartedly agree that they're first against the wall.

Yeah, and it shows that perfectly. One watches them do absolutely awful things then it reveals a more human or vulnerable facet that juuust stops one hating them entirely and reminds one that they are people who were utterly hosed up by their upbringings and family dynamics - which it portrays staggeringly well.

fuctifino posted:

I'd never heard of this series before until your post.

I'm only 12 minutes into episode 1 and am already hooked. Thanks :)

My politics may not be sufficiently left for this thread but I do have good taste. :smug: (Also, recommending good stuff to people which they really enjoy is very gratifying).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

My buddy I mentioned upthread is getting well into mushroom hunting. Not just the magic ones, it sounds like a cool hobby in general & I'm gutted I've been too busy to head out with him. There's loads of delicious edible ones about, but you can also just like, go looking at cool mushrooms, take some pictures, then go home & get a book out & learn about what you found.

Here's some of the mushroom photos I've been sent lately:

There’s a decent docu on Netflix about mushrooms. The Secret Life of Mushrooms or something like that. It’s Fantastic Fungi. Would actually be great to watch when lightly tripping.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think being prime minister has been a miserable experience for boris

Yes. I also think that he’s deeply unhappy and always will be.

At least, I hope so.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Just put your rear end right on the fax machine to start the process

Idiot.

You photocopy your arse first, then fax that

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Flux, bloody flux, and scouring were the diagnoses for different flavours of "poo poo themselves to death" - they turned up loads in Bills of Mortality in London but then died right down for a while (even as hygiene standards got ever worse) suggesting that *something* changed in the diet in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. A lot of people point at the potato being the saviour here as the deaths dropped around the same time as deaths from scurvy, which is attributed to the potato becoming the mainstay of the diet of the working classes, but nobody's really sure. It is also possible that people that had been dying from, say, malnutrition or blood loss from long-term intestinal problems were instead dying quicker of other things, aided by the malnutrition.

Then cholera and dysentery came to town and suddenly violent arse-death was back, and bigger than ever.

(Interestingly nobody seems to know what "scouring" consisted of. Flux was an old term for diarrhea and bloody flux is unfortunately self-explanatory, but scouring was presumably arse badness that *wasn't* making GBS threads through the eye of a needle because in many bills the three of them are combined as one cause of death, but there's absolutely no evidence to explain what it might have been, although there's lots of guessing which I won't ruin anyone's Sunday brunch with)

Violent arse-death would be a good username.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

If you drink enough of it, it gets metabolized through a different path where it can't contribute much to dietary calories.

Also if you're drinking that much your liver is probably spending so much time healing that you don't get many calories from fat either, and just poo poo it out.

It's not a recommended lifestyle, but it is a popular one.

One weight loss trick doctors hate!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

So a Swedish man walks into a chemists and asks for some deodorant...

:golfclap: one of my favourite jokes

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aphex- posted:

Man I've come down with some non covid illness for the first time in like 2 years now and it absolutely sucks. I don't think I've ever had a sore throat quite like the one I have now. Not sure whether it's bad because I haven't had one in a while or its just a particularly bad strain.

On the plus side it's made me decide to completely self isolate until Christmas because gently caress passing this on to anyone else and gently caress getting ill again before I can see family who I haven't seen in 3 years. Thank god I can just work from home until then and now I've got a great excuse to not go to any of the mind numbing work Christmas parties.

We all had a bug a few weeks ago that was REALLY bad, including sore throat. I still suspect it might have been Covid that didn't get picked up by tests. if it wasn't, it was one of the worst bugs I have had for a long time - apparently there is one going around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jippa posted:

For people that are booking their covid booster jabs. The earliest I can get one through the NHS app is the beginning of january miles away from where I live.

Will they eventually be rolling them out to local surgeries like they did with the previous ones?

Is the best thing to do just book one via the app then cancel it if the local surgery starts offering them?

I got one as a carer. Our local pharmacy did it.