Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

The only thing worse than tories, mods.

What about tory mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

maybe you shouldn't engage in such disrespectful and mental-health-abusing activity as "reminding people OF the stupid things they said" and "criticising the viewpoints of public figures"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It's kinda weird to put that on tbh.

None of that filthy EU salt for me, I only consume the freshest seasalt from British poop shores.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Because they launched the once and future video game, skyrim.

Have you tried VR skyrim it's pretty great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really have much interest in tourism at all, and if I want to be outside I want, like the full experience, sound, sight, smell, heat cold tactile, all of it. Going outside is quite nice, I went to go sleep in the forest last summer because it was too warm, very pleasant.

Some of the VR stuff looks neat, but I mostly find myself wishing it was just available as a normal game.

The infancy part is a large part of the disinterest. I might get it when it becomes much cheaper and much more developed, but I am not interested enough to pay to be a guinea pig.

It's not really in infancy anymore, that was true 4 years ago. Also you'd be surprised how immersive it is with hand tracking.

You can get a lenovo explorer on ebay in good condition for under 200 quid, it's a very good budget headset (I did exactly this).

The bigger problem is having the computer to run it and buying the games which can be quite expensive, though they are in bundles and on sale occasionally. Still it's probably about £300 all told.

There's also the oculus quest 2 if you don't have a gaming PC, but it's a bit more pricey.

Apologies for the VR games chat.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Trickjaw posted:

Democracy triumphs once more.

It's funny how the Tories were heavily anti-corruption when Labour was in the government and are now the party scrapping the rules about corruption.

All the while Labour frowns, but not too much lest it causes a commotion and upsets the centrist voter.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

serious gaylord posted:

I cant find anything concrete about this which is why I'm open to the idea that the contract is null and void, however it does appear that once the land registry is final tough poo poo. Depends on if the current owners give it up based on the sale being fraud?

If you look at the land registry fraud website they have a process for amending the registry in case of mistake as well as providing compensation.

Mistake in this case includes fraud as well, though IANAL.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Will the EU throw the trade agreement with the UK in the bin if they keep playing stupid games? Unlikely, but a hilarious possibility

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1456548863167373346?t=PfXiPCA9tGHaRzFjB78ubQ&s=19

I'll brexit from my brexit because my brexit is not the brexit I wanted.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Well the Tories just passed a motion dismantling the parliamentary anti-corruption regime, in the interest of appealing to their core voters clearly Labour must follow.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

What about 'precariat' that one doesn't seem judgemental.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Our hard working MPs that really deserve that second salary.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Here's a talk from him before it all went south.

It's a lot more insane than I remember tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4D4wrk6Vs

e: I guess he's done a bunch of these, either way.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 11, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Can't believe the whole UK is having a minute's silence just for Lowtax today.

I have a meeting that starts at 10:45.

Curious if we're going to do it.

e: my great-grandda was in the army of Austria-Hungary at the time

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Private Speech posted:

I have a meeting that starts at 10:45.

Curious if we're going to do it.

e: my great-grandda was in the army of Austria-Hungary at the time

trip report: nobody gave a toss or even brought it up, but I was on mute during that time so it counts I guess? Not intentional.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mmm they were WW1 veterans, but almost exclusively British veterans (Black and Tans were Brit squaddies and the Auxiliaries were Brit officers with rare exception iirc). Understandable that Irish soldiers weren't really used to suppress the Irish populace or burn down Irish cities. I'm specifically talking about how the Irish WW1 soldiers all got tarred with that brush, though yeah of course multiple urban and rural guerrilla wars within a single decade obviously hosed up a country that was already shellshocked from the horror of WW1

Yes but there's no poppy just for WW1 Irish vets to bum.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

lol

BBC posted:

He is believed to have originally come from the Middle East and went into the asylum system. But in recent years he may have converted to Christianity and also suffered from mental health issues.

The decision to declare this a terrorist incident looks less to be based on a clear understanding of his ideology and more on his methodology

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 16, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rejoin is not happening any time soon IMO, because there's no way EU would allow the UK to keep the same optouts for euro, budget contributions, schengen borders and visas, bespoke family reunion and permanent residence rules, etc.

People might be slightly in favour of it but I think most would balk over the standard membership conditions.

e: phoneposting

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 18, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

EURO FORRINS!!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The bit that is messed up is that Starmer was in Corbyns shadow cabinet.

If he thought he would be worse than the Tory PM of the time what the gently caress was he doing there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

big scary monsters posted:

I don't think it'll quite decline that much, but it's going to be a pretty embarrassing reversal when Britons with a pair of degrees start going to drive taxis in Poland to send money home.

Lol no. Maybe in 50 years if things go really tits up.

e: I could maybe see say Finland though, even now it's not a terrible deal. And is almost equally as bleak as Poland, but with less rabid catholicism.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 19, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

I don't know why good people are still in Labour trying to change things. The party will always be in the clutches of the right wing, and any attempts to swing it back to the left will be sabotaged at every step. People should focus their efforts on a viable alternative, because rescuing Labour just isn't going to happen.

What is the viable alternative pray tell.

Outside of Scotland/Wales/NI anyway.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jippa posted:

Have you guys heard of "tattle"?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/24/people-nasty-as-hell-on-there-battle-close-tattle-most-hate-filled-corner-web

I'm pretty online but I knew nothing about it. I suppose I never really use instagram or whatever. Even so, I thought it was odd it had just completely missed me.

Nope.

Seems like a kiwifarms for normies though.

f;e: beaten

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weirdly I answered this exact question ITT a few days ago - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983609&userid=72403&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post519445774

TLDR - extremely not-likely at least as far as the Thames goes. Now the chances of drowning in your new-build because of a completely catastrophic pipe failure or the most spectacular condensation problem ever are a bit higher, but no higher than anywhere else in the UK with our dogshit standards for new construction that aren't even close to being met in the mad rush to throw poo poo up for ROI.

Reading this I was very confused what Ireland has to do with anything.

In my defence they do have a housing crisis too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm here in Co. Antrim watching horizontal hail hitting my precious Yaris. :ohdear:

One of my dumb housemates left the french garden windows wide open and turned off the heating because they thought it was a bit too warm to sleep (they work night shifts sometimes).

Now we have a room full of hail and 12°C indoor temperature.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

zhar posted:

there's also the ellen page nude shower scene he got his company to make without her knowledge that hackers managed to dig out of the game files. bear in mind this would never have been intended to be in the release, he just got his 3d artists to model her nipples for reasons we can only guess at.

That one is kind of whatever to be honest, it's not the only game to have nipples in. (see also mass effect cameltoes etc.)

There's a million easier and far skeevier ways to do a virtual deepfake like that instead of putting it in the game if he wanted it for sexual gratification.

Also "hackers" is basically just any random modder with access to decoded game files and modelling tools.

That said there's a lot of credible allegations of abuse and harassment in quantic dream, which are far worse. I can't really get worked up about nipples on an otherwise barbie model of all things.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 27, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Our landlord thinks our heating should be turned off overnight (he has remote control over it - but we can override it, which he doesn't like - and it's his first winter as a landlord).

It's currently -1 at night here.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just point out that if it gets below 5° he risks frost damage to his precious property.

Also seconding the 'are you not paying the heating anyway' questions.

Sorry a bit late, but yes the bills are included - I mean yes we are paying them in the rent (6*700 or so) but it's not completely unreasonable.

Also definitely true about zero insulation, one window in my room has about a quarter-inch gap in the middle when the 2 panes are closed.

e: actually it's 700 average not 600, either way

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 27, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Flamur Beqiri: CCTV shows man shot dead in front of family

BBC News posted:

A masked gunman was captured on CCTV shooting dead a man in front of his screaming wife as she shielded their two-year-old, a court has heard.

Anis Hemissi allegedly killed Flamur Beqiri outside his Battersea home on Christmas Eve 2019 as part of violent rivalry between two Swedish gangs.

Oh the horror! Clearly we must change immigration rules post-haste to stop the rampage of the infamously bloodthirsty, uhh, Swedish, criminal gangs.

Must be the viking blood in their veins, they just can't stop being violent.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm due to travel on Christmas to see my family in the Czech republic after a long time.

Will see how that goes, but the omicron is not making me happy at all.

e:
I've not spent more than probably 100 hours outside of my rented room this year thanks to remote working and having a lot of work; and I don't even have a partner right now (nor any friends locally for that matter) before anyone gets on my case about it.

I really need the trip to stay sane.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think this valuation is potentially blx

I'm not sure it is, looking at the other flats (which are pretty miserable but go for around £1-2m) - it seems to be a penthouse suite.