Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

serious gaylord posted:

Its because they charge more for those seats and absolutely nothing to do with 'weight distribution on the plane' or any such bollocks that they try and pull.

The extra leg room seats are usually about 10% more than the rest of the cattle class.

This is correct, but also the pilot (and to a lesser extent the flight manager) has full authority to do literally whatever the gently caress they want once the plane is in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm 6'6" so every flight fucks my poo poo up, but tbf Dublin-Stansted is only like an hour, I can handle that if I manspread hard enough

I'd rather walk than have to fly with Ryanair if I was 6'6".

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I was once travelling back from Bangkok after a bit of travel. I had entirely run out of cash and lost my cards, and had 24 hours in the airport give or take. I was loving starving and honestly considered shoplifting but that’s hardly advisable in Thailand, so I just suffered. I was literally scanning the floor for cash at one point.

Anyway, exhausted and miserable I get to the gate and don’t even notice I’ve been handed a new boarding pass. I sit in the gate until eventually I realise I’m one of the last left. Look at my ticket and lo and behold, business class baby. All my Christmases had come at once.

You better believe I ordered just about everything on the menu, endless manhattans, and took full advantage of the massage chair. When I woke up from my very brief sleep (literally just to test the ‘bed’, which was my seat laid totally flat and with a mattress and sheets and stuff on it), I had a continental breakfast followed by steak and eggs and washed down with champagne.

I was between two Scottish guys whose mate had dropped out and they remarked this must be my first time, presumably because I kept muttering things like ‘holy poo poo’ and ‘this is amazing’ and looking at them as if to say ‘CAN YOU loving BELIEVE THIS WOW’ every time I found some new button or gizmo or menu to choose something free from.

Anyway, probably the last time I do that, but it was an awesome experience. I literally can’t imagine first class. I presume you’re getting a blowjob and a massage literally the entire time while having IV heroin pumped into your veins.

It's basically the same but with more grovelling to be honest. Some airlines let you do ridiculous bullshit like pre-order whatever food you want for the flight. I saw a booking once that specified 'lobster and whisky' as the inflight meal.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jakabite posted:

That is mental but I’d absolutely be ordering something loving ridiculous if I was in that position.

I always thought first had your own little room with like an actual bed, is that not the case?

Only for long haul flights and only with some companies. Some companies like, I believe Etihad have ridiculous bullshit like full standing showers and private rooms, but for a lot of companies it's just Business+ (the plus stands for 'costs triple)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I get loads more done working from home AND I have time to do chores and/or play video games.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

There's a name I haven't seen retweeted onto the timeline in a while. Him & Prison Paul both actually haven't been appearing much, guess they aren't funny enough, or at least the joke has worn thin.

I thought you were going off about Josh Sawyer and I was very concerned.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah Norman Finkelstein is definitely not a holocaust denier as far as I'm aware.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

A couple of years ago it was very much A Thing in London to have people on scooters/bikes try to snatch people's phones/bags out of their hands and drive off.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

someone start a tattle life praxis cast thread.

Rob is the most chaotic d&d player you've ever seen. Straight up wants to murder people he thinks looked at him funny.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Didn't one of the pharmas say they've come up with something that'll tackle covid and is variant-proof?

Ivermectin, iirc.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I know this isn't mainly what your post was about, and I'm sure you're aware of this but for others: a reminder HS2 isn't even primarily about speed. It's about capacity. The West Coast Main Line is at capacity. AIUI they can't run any more trains on it because they have to keep minimum separation between trains, and the trains that do run on it are full.
Lots of what you'll see with people objecting to HS2 is like "We're spending all this money and destroying the countryside just to get from Birmingham to London 30 minutes quicker!"... and yes, that is going to be one outcome. But the main thing they're doing it for is this:

Total peak hour capacity at Euston will triple, which is a good thing if we're trying to take climate goals seriously.

Is the actual terminal going to be the same size though? Because tripling capacity and not making Euston bigger sounds like actual hell.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

and the US has to appear to respect self determination,

lol

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

No, they're saying that wearing a mask is like retaining a fart in your pants.

Maybe they should brush their teeth more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

There's definitely a pretty bad cold going around in schools all over the place at the moment.