Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

I cannot see any way such a law would be enforceable.
Civil prosecutions probably. It's so Riley and Guardian journos can take people to court for replying to them.

Or possibly so the British state can start to Donziger people as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Journos use twitter like it's their personal facebook, they absolutely have the same brain as retired people posting HI SUSAN WHY DID YOU POST THIS ON MY WALL? JIM in response to ads.

They should all gently caress off and circlejerk on linkedin but they love their numbers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When we went on our honeymoon a couple a few spaces in front of us got the free upgrade to 1st class by saying they were on honeymoon, and then we were stuck rooting through our luggage trying to find proof we got married the day before.

Couldnt find it, didnt get the upgrade because the woman at the desk didn't believe us. It was annoyingly like that episode of friends they had to change after 9/11.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have an idea, and it strikes me as an idea that would be very useful to this thread.

Essentially a link saving app called 'receipts' or 'evidence,' and when you save a link to it, you can add tags to it. You can also add auto tag rules, like if it's from this site tag it as 'guardian,' if the title contains 'corbyn' tag as corbyn, if it's by brendan o'neil tag as brendan, tag tweets as tweet etc.

Optional check boxes to submit it to archive.org for caching or take an indexed / tagged screenshot of the selected text..

The idea being that when you are in an argument and trying to find that guardian article or tweet or whatever, instead of having to try and dig through your bookmarks, history and likes on about 6 different apps, you have one easily searchable list that you can filter by tag.

Half the images on my phone are things that were useful from around the referendum or useful in trying to argue various political points. But can I find them when I need them? Can I bollocks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interestingly I was working on something like this but there's big problems with integrating it onto a browser that aren't huge potential security risks that would stop any same person from downloading it.
I was thinking mobile / android based using share functionality, so you 'share' the link with the app and it brings up a screen with a list of suggested tags, a text box to add more, and then it saves the link to a database.

I tend to find most of my useful links browsing my phone, but I'm sure once you had the structure as an app it would be reasonably straightforward to convert to a browser add-on.

Google signin has fairly decent inbuilt methods to back up the database either to your google docs or your google account.

Later, when looking for the link, you type 'corbyn rafael behr heart attack' for example and it pulls up twitter style previews for anything you've saved that contains those tags.

Like it doesn't need to be a shareable list, although that in itself could be an interesting second phase, letting you subscribe to other news curators lists and see what they've been publicly sharing as useful.

The phase 2 idea also sounds like exactly the sort of thing that would get very rapidly turned into a disinformation tool though.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 2, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Noxville posted:

This is the woman who was interviewed in that horrible BBC article that just today they’ve been all out defending. Content warning for some genuinely violent transphobia

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1455574098717913096?s=21
She seems to have decided that when people call her a rapist, they're referring to the abstract feminist concept that all paid sex work is rape, and not the multiple times she sexually assaulted women in public bathrooms.

Oh and of course she tried to invoke the red pill. Of loving course she did.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It feels like it's reaching tipping point and this is going to lead to a trans person getting killed except that happens all the loving time and nobody does anything, not anyone with the power to effect real change anyway.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wait, is that Devon? Is this because of those stupid terves who tried to trick them by asking the bathroom question?

He's really willing to libel himself into the gutter over a trick question?

E: oh, it is:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1455622491859267585?t=XdP_Jdoj93NGlz-U6L0FQA&s=19

It's not even a gotcha question because it specifically says communal changing room in the question and then the absolutely derranged blog reply assumes they're talking about women's changing rooms.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 3, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TllPrdbZ-VI

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Has anybody done remembrance poppy NFTs yet? (1 purchase == 1 respect)
Holy poo poo someone launch poppycoin, quick.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The international rules based order strikes again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

In Trover Saves the Universe your character sits in a floating chair directed by an xbox controller, which is pretty convenient.
I mean that's one possible positive, that VR could lead to more disabled protagonists.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Huh. According to the rozzers, razor blades have actually been found in candy, two incidents in the same location in Oxfordshire:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-59132542.amp

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=883403775653656&id=323584311635608

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is that current intent to vote? What does it mean?

Or is this just among Times readers? Because that's the only way I can see over half of 2019 Lab voters still wanting to vote for the party.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yougov historically has an incredible amount of Lumley voters, i.e. 'lifelong' labour voters who haven't voted for the party since 2010.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i welcome the prime minister's bold decision on parliamentary corruption, but would encourage him to go further by publicly executing the traitor keir starmer

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

I thought bisexuals fell under the queer category as well? Mind you I could be using an outdated meaning of the word.
One of the points she hit was about bisexuals who are married to the opposite sex, basically skipping around the edges of the 'you're just confused straights / closeted gays' trope, which can absolutely gently caress right off.

:nws: so it doesn't embed transphobia / sexuality bigotry but the thread is here:

https://twitter.com/bindelj/status/1456964428637868036?t=_SJjzkgtqlsOheHHhue5jg&s=19

The irony is absolutely stunning in that she literally cites "being told we are unsafe around other people's kids" in the 2nd last tweet, completely unaware that all of the things she's listing currently and increasingly happen to trans people because of the kind of vile bigotry her little in-crowd throw around.

It's stunningly contradictory and her only comeback is to preemtively yell in the last tweet about how it doesn't happen to 'them', followed by a ton of othering and screaming at things in her head. It's absolutely derranged.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The charges are higher than a standard meter. Most of the places you can top don’t take card, or charge anywhere up to £1 extra for a card payment. And they’re always in areas with bad access to cash points so if there is a cash point available it’ll be one that charges a quid to withdraw. And this is all for people who are struggling with debt or don’t have good credit for a regular meter.
There was a guy in the queue in front of me in the co-op who was trying to top up £15 and the machine wasn't working. The kid behind the counter was trying to tell him the nearest top up machine that was open 'late' (i.e. past 4 on a sunday) was a town or 2 over, and the poor guy muttered about how he doesn't have a car. This was last week when it was down to 0° overnight. They managed it eventually but I felt awful for the guy.

One thing I wonder about is if you're on welfare support, you can get your local council to help with bills. How does that work with key meters? Do you need to keep receipts and claim it back? Can you get help with that or is it yet another technicality that absolutely fucks the poor?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yet another government minister where we can play play the hot new game, '14 or 40'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rather than some baroque conspiracy, it seems much more likely that a few people from MdR were tasked with running into him at a pub, going 'hey we're lawyers too,' buying him a few drinks, stifling the looks of concern about how many he's getting through, and then just convincing him he should settle.

Which does make him the perfect centrist candidate, since he strikes me as being entirely gullible and will believe whatever his new friends are telling him. Like the old footage of him at university where he was appearing at pro-palestine gigs and saying things that seemed good. I suspect he was only saying those things because that's what everyone around him was saying.

Now he's surrounded by melts and wreckers, and they're the ones being nice to him, so he's doing that. And because he has no actual ideology apart from "I want to be in charge and it's my turn," he has no answer or rebuttal when Luke Nukem turns up with a foundationally dumb idea dressed in the rhetoric of sounding intelligent. He is essentially a man who's entire political ideology is "oh OK, that sounds good."

Again, if there's any MI5 inflection on his politics it's far more likely that they just got a few undercover spooks to set up a dinner party, invite him to it, and then talk his ear off about how bad the dreaded left are.

Keir Starmer is basically Baldrick in that episode of Blackadder where they try to buy a rotten borough, but as soon as he gets to the commons the whigs take him to one side and tell him how to vote instead.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop posted:

I'm subscribed to Novara on YouTube, but all their video titles are basically "ANOTHER thing to get MAD about" and I just end up rolling my eyes and scrolling past. My anxiety levels are much more under control since I started doing this in general.
I'm trying to clean up my twitter because I might have to actually start using it for freelancing / work, but also there are a bunch of funny / interesting accounts I don't want to stop following, and I still have that brain disorder where I see tweets and think 'this is important, my 50ish followers need to know about this' so I basically need to clear out my retweets.

Having been reflecting on this for a while, half the problem is that so much of this is public facing. Like on my podcast subscriptions, nobody's going to notice that I follow praxiscast or transhfuture, but on twitter I feel like one chud could look at my likes and follows, see names like Sinan or Ash Sarkar and instantly put together an argument for why I should be harassed, or why my followers should be harrassed for following me.

Sometimes I think the entire internet would be vastly improved if some kind of very focused emp took out every comment section.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

But doctor, this is the news thread

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Look it's simple, the online payment system has to be per meal to correlate with the accounts database, which then cross references with the third party app provider to link the facial recognition scanner to the pupil databases, so that we can feed children, a task that has not previously been achievable by humanity.
Sounds like someone meeds to enrol little bobby tables.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Well yeah, taken to its logical limit it’s the same philosophical argument over if anybody can be “truly” altruistic
I'm way too tired, I thought you said autistic and had to reread the post about 5 or 6 times trying to work out if it was a masking reference or what.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But perhaps you can appreciate how your username hasn't totally set my mind at rest?
'suck my woke dick' is absolutely the best username on these forums

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pictured eating a leopard's face, interesting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

radmonger posted:

Since Thatcher, they mostly side with capital, largely because unearned money is sweeter than money you have to leave the house to get.
Which is why there's an astonishing hypocrisy in the upper middle classes, talking about passive income streams and making your money work for you with things like landlording, and equally wanting the poor to be murdered for being lazy shiftless layabouts who expect other hard working to pay their way.

josh04 posted:

"This is what Princess Diana said we are all waiting for" is some primo Brit-anon, right?
Kew anon, surely?

E: queue anon possibly, as them british people love queues am i right guuuys

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would not be surprised to find, with the way the press is and us being on the cusp of trans visibility week, if some crazed terfling saw an unusually tall woman go in there and decided to protect womens spaces by blowing one up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

*grabbing the waiters sleeve* excude me my good man, this gazpacho war does not appear to have been adequately heated

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

But because I was doing it on my tablet rather than my PC, no ad-block, and before the piano started, I got some ad jingle (and reflexively said "gently caress OFFFFFFFF!"), which is the absolute lowest point of human creative endeavour (the jingle, that is, not me telling it where to go).

Capitalism. Make u fink.
Ads are getting absolutely abysmal on YT now. The unskippable opening ads were bad enough, but now they've turned on interstitial ads by default and their algorithm for when to play them is loving terrible, so you get bumped out to an unskippable ad mid scene now.

Worse is when watching a guide for how to do something in a game - it makes it really difficult when trying to follow the flow of something complicated and it keeps popping out to sell you some poo poo for 15 seconds. If you pause (i.e. to try the thing you just watched in-game), it then adds another ad break after a few seconds.

Worst of all, new channels can't turn these interstitial ads off, and partners can only turn them off by disabling monetisation entirely.

I know they're doing it to make the platform just annoying enough to push users into subscribing to Youtube Pro/red/whatever, but it's loving annoying. It's absolutely just greed. They were making enough with the embedded ads but wanted more, so they added the opening ads. Then sometimes there were two ads. Then sometimes they were unskippable. Then they added the inserted ads.

DickEmery posted:

If it is white blokes then it'll be 4 "lone wolves" and forgotten by next week.
Four lone wolves, working together, aided by ideologically aligned organisations, attempting to use violence and fear to push said ideology. But very importantly not terrorist, because dulux chart says so.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The famous final scene where it cuts to Go Compare.
:nws: for unexpected suicide but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

After an unfortunate autocorrect error, we have instituted fully automated luxury catholicism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Karmically we are owed over 250k dead tories.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

loving lol. Said pic:

She's developed Charles Hand Syndrome.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

radmonger posted:

More importantly, if some anti-fascist group actually was nail bombing wide groups of people who they thought might be inclined to Nazism, then that would be terrorism. Under suitable assumptions, that could be any of justified and good terrorism, an understandable tactical or strategic mistake, or just plain fuckwittery. None of which would stop it being terrorism.
The problem is that you're getting into signifier and signified here. I think most people have in their heads a good concept of what terrorism is. Putting it down in words who's definition cannot be twisted to permit legal injustice is a huge problem, and is always going to be a huge problem for so many laws.

This is why I would tend to side with Borrovan, as a poster with a legal background who is patiently trying to explain the best and clearest definitions that exist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They'd just have to call it the 'Boris Bonanza' and claim we strongarmed the EU into giving us this sweet deal. Concepts like truth and reality became meaningless a long time ago.

As long as we give people an excuse to keep up the kayfabe of stong britane grate nation, most brexiteers won't bother with the fire print.

Bung a lifetime £500k/pa salary in there for Farage to shut him up and we're gold.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SixFigureSandwich posted:

But you can criticize everything the Tories are doing wrong while avoiding presenting an alternative plan that would get you criticized in turn, drawing fire away from the Tories. I wasn't really trying to say how successful Labour are doing this, one way or the other.
Honestly the thing the country is crying out for is someone who will openly and passionately loving maul the PM over their party's record. But because the system selects for people just as corrupt and venal and prevents anyone with actual morals getting anywhere near the hot seat, the nearest we get is Keir "I would do the same thing but more politely" Starmer.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

I just don't get it. Out of nowhere he just decided to fill her inbox with self pitying garbage and when she politely declined and said she had a partner and a kid thanks but no... Kept loving going.

The gently caress posesses people to think that's OK and that they won't get caught and instantly turbo hosed? Especially the week where everyone is incredibly angry and upset that someone we trusted turned out to be a monster.
You work in video james right? You'd think also that they would be able to see the atmosphere in the industry with the Blizzard / Activision / Ubisoft stuff and think now is a particularly sensitive time to be trying this poo poo (not that there's ever an acceptable time of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

Unsurprisingly most of the replies are people upset that he was even asked such a frivolous and unfair question in the first place.
The press would never ask a Labour leader a stupid and frivolous question about nationalising sausages.