Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Imagined posted:

"You're here, you're nice to me, I love you." They're the best.

"Man's best friend" is not just an empty phrase.

We owe part of the shape of human civilization to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

StormDrain posted:

Real mashed pots at home are only for company. Just a bit too much work for a regular meal. Of course we're only a couple, if we had kids it might be more of a Sunday dinner thing too.

:confused:

I make mashed potatoes all the drat time, because it's so easy and one of my favorite foods ever.

Boil potatoes (peel 'em first if you want, I usually leave the peel on), then pour off water, mash to bits right in the pot, add butter and milk as necessary, season with salt and pepper.

When I'm feeling fancy, I put the pot back on the stove when I add the butter and let it brown up a bit, before continuing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

everdave posted:

My oldest is almost 12 and now she says she is a vegetarian…just threw my whole meal routines out the window. But we make it work

Mushrooms, MSG, liquid aminos, Worcestershire sauce, anything you can use to add umami to dishes will be your friend for any dish where you think it's just missing that certain something.

And spices, definitely be generous with spices. The same goes for toppings and flavorful oils as finishing touches. Black sesame oil is pure liquid gold.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 27, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

Except not Worcestershire sauce as its got anchovies in!

True, though none of the vegetarians I know seem bothered by it. The vegans avoid it, of course.

A mix of liquid aminos and soy sauce gets you close.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sharkytm posted:

My suggestion: avoid the "news" and social media (or seriously trim your content). I'm only on Instagram, and I don't follow many people or read much political stuff. However, you need a source of information about the actual news and what you need to know. If you find one, lemme know.

So much this.

Clean up your social media, unlike/unfollow almost everything, unfriend anyone toxic, use the "hide all from..." function liberally.

I've cut down my FB to basically only follow local concert venues and festivals, everything else is gone and ignored. No Twitter, no Instagram, no anything else.

It's so nice.