Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie in a sweater with a better attitude.

Everything I see is that it's going to be a VERY long night. Advantage Youngkin though. Looks like everyone's pissed about Virginia schools being shut down for so long - Democrats at/performing as expected in non-Virginia areas. Still very early.

Edit: probably Youngkin by 2, non-existent needle probably at 90% per NYT Nate. Probably not worth watching for anymore.

Wasserman called it:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455692529790328835?t=9OwyHPeZxz-oLy0yDEKIpQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wasserman called it:

Yep, basically prepare for Takeageddon when a Biden +10 state flipped like that with all the statewide offices. It's basically the norm for Virginia off-year elections to flip, but that's a pretty heavy flip. 2022 is going to be non-stop economy sucking ads, blended with CRT nonsense and it'll be Democrats' jobs to convince the suburbs it's all nonsense.

lol

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1455695924290891781?t=HiNgSAnKayDPg9Z0c0y2vg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 3, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Best Friends posted:

I'm eager to find out if the machine Dem wins, which means centrism is the way forward, or if he loses, which means the progressives have gone too far

Yeah, it's all that Princess Blanding's fault that we didn't win/lose by more! :argh:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Best Friends posted:

I'm eager to find out if the machine Dem wins, which means centrism is the way forward, or if he loses, which means the progressives have gone too far

It begins

https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1455696272489422849?s=20

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
it appears that running a false flag Unite the Right rally didn't help

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

it appears that running a false flag Unite the Right rally didn't help

The Lincoln Project just wants an authoritarian conservative autocrat in power that they aren't *embarrassed* by. One that can explain why a lawful protest had to be put down with lethal force with that "well, y'know...aw shucks" delivery The Gipper used to cut from whole cloth.

The only good news? The VA Supreme Court is still (barely) blue, and that won't change under Youngkin as he'll only be able to replace Justices appointed by Gilmore and McDonnell.

It also certainly didn't help that 1) McAuliffe's "anointment" by the VA DNC to his candidacy made a lot of Virginians angry, and 2) he ran a loving TERRIBLE campaign that was just a re-run of Hillary's 2016 strategy. His campaign ads for ~80% of the campaign were *other people* talking about him, whereas Youngkin's face was ALL OVER his ads, which undoubtedly won the "he seems like such a nice man" old-as-gently caress crowd over.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 3, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McAuliffe was unimpressive the first time around and I have no idea why they decided to run his dumb rear end a second time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

McAuliffe was unimpressive the first time around and I have no idea why they decided to run his dumb rear end a second time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T575Pbo4eWM

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Lincoln Project just wants an authoritarian conservative autocrat in power that they aren't *embarrassed* by. One that can explain why a lawful protest had to be put down with lethal force with that "well, y'know...aw shucks" delivery The Gipper used to cut from whole cloth.

The only good news? The VA Supreme Court is still (barely) blue, and that won't change under Youngkin as he'll only be able to replace Justices appointed by Gilmore and McDonnell.

It also certainly didn't help that 1) McAuliffe's "anointment" by the VA DNC to his candidacy made a lot of Virginians angry, and 2) he ran a loving TERRIBLE campaign that was just a re-run of Hillary's 2016 strategy. His campaign ads for ~80% of the campaign were *other people* talking about him, whereas Youngkin's face was ALL OVER his ads, which undoubtedly won the "he seems like such a nice man" old-as-gently caress crowd over.

Youngkin ran a million times better campaign, even if the end result is still pretty bad for things like - public education.

McAuliffe's campaign was a mix of Jeb and Hillary with predictable results.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/11/qanon-rally-in-dallas-fails-to-revive-jfk-jr-from-the-dead.html

quote:

Michael Brian Protzman, who runs the Negative48 channel (over 100,000 subscribers), sees things slightly differently.

Protzman has long claimed that the Kennedy bloodline is directly linked to Christ. He told his followers that on Tuesday, “JFK Sr, Jackie, and JFK Jr will be reintroduced to the world.” Then, the JFK Sr. “will travel around for seven days, then will pass.”
Bad news, folks. Turns ot JFK Sr. isn't coming back. 6 more weeks of Fall before winter.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 3, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

Democratic Base / DNC figured you could run Generic Democrat in a Biden +10 state in an off-year election. He cleaned up in the primaries as the "safe" choice, then the general environment soured post-delta. People thought the economy sucks, jobs suck, and there's this weird educational poo poo going on as the schools have been closed forever.

Democrats probably have to hope for an economic rebound and COVID getting under control by next year, because this environment is a full Congressional flip.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wonder how many state GOP party apparati are going to follow VAGOP's model of just not having a primary entirely and avoid the base picking yet another frothing MAGA lunatic as a candidate.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I wish Serwer was not so often depressingly correct.

https://twitter.com/adamserwer/status/1455604161249259524?s=21

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

Democrats probably have to hope for an economic rebound and COVID getting under control by next year
The GOP has been and will continue to work actively to make sure neither of these things happen.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

Democratic Base / DNC figured you could run Generic Democrat in a Biden +10 state in an off-year election. He cleaned up in the primaries as the "safe" choice, then the general environment soured post-delta. People thought the economy sucks, jobs suck, and there's this weird educational poo poo going on as the schools have been closed forever.

Democrats probably have to hope for an economic rebound and COVID getting under control by next year, because this environment is a full Congressional flip.

It wasn't just a generic democrat, DNC ran the former governor from14-18 and mostly campaigned on "Trump supports Youngkin". That's all the ads I saw. I didn't see much about jobs, infrastructure, getting people back to the office (I get some people love WFH, others dont), how to fix the covid impact on schools, etc.

He could have just said "I will unfuck 66 and 495" and probably won the state.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Yeah I don't know a thing about what McAuliffe was campaigning for. He was just kinda there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah I don't know a thing about what McAuliffe was campaigning for. He was just kinda there.

Virginia governors follow a very predictable pattern. They promise a ton of "I'll put Coke machines in the cafeteria"-grade poo poo they're going to get started with on ON DAY ONE, then :circlefap: for a while until saying that their initiative to put said Coke machines in the cafeteria will take exactly four years.

The VA Statehouse is almost definitely going to flip, too - 51R/49D is an *optimistic* outcome at the moment.

NPR has the best stat breakdown I've seen: https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/1049026183/virginia-governor-election-mcauliffe-youngkin

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455728348907323392

GOP only has to win two of the remaining four for 51R/49D. Of the remaining races, three will *probably* remain democratic, but HD21 is solidly in VA Beach/Chesapeake which broke *hard* for Youngkin. That'd leave a 50/50 statehouse.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 3, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Tracy Morgan is the new voice of Early on the last season of Squidbillies.

Loving everything about that change.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was your former governor - please clap.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Immanentized posted:

The reporting reads as though there isn't much evidence or thread to the idea that the boyfriend "sold" the daughter. There's a statutory situation for sure based on the reported ages, but the trafficking bit seems wholly manufactured by Q-brain.

If the daughter didn’t speak up and report the boyfriend’s disappearance I feel it’s possible she actually was sold. Either that or she has an abusive father which wouldn’t be so far fetched given that he’s murderous.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455734418350514177

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Braves win the world series.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Immanentized posted:

The reporting reads as though there isn't much evidence or thread to the idea that the boyfriend "sold" the daughter. There's a statutory situation for sure based on the reported ages, but the trafficking bit seems wholly manufactured by Q-brain.

What’s the age of the girl?

It’s not in the WaPo article.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 3, 2021

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

mlmp08 posted:

I wish Serwer was not so often depressingly correct.

https://twitter.com/adamserwer/status/1455604161249259524?s=21

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/interactive/2021/exit-polls-virginia-governor/#h-Y5IF6NZDJZFT3PK2ZNXGJRNMMQ

It seems entirely this + Youngkin being better at campaigning. Looking at the preliminary breakdowns, Youngkin is outperforming Trump in one area (White voters who have not completed a bachelor's degree), and performing the same as Trump everywhere else. But sadly, getting that extra +15% on white, low-education voters was enough to carry the day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It also didn't help that both candidates fell over each other to fellate whatever cops/sheriffs would support them in campaign ads.

"I LOVE COPS!" :swoon:

"NO, I LOVE COPS MORE! BUT MY COPS ARE THE RIGHT *KIND* OF COPS!" :v:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
CBS News did a great piece on new gun owners, and focused it on African Americans and people of color who have come together to arm themselves, because the police can't, or won't, or would be the ones brutalizing them.

https://youtu.be/DBUOQIhsldU

The more leftist and POC gun owners we get into the firearms community, the better.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Bored As gently caress posted:

CBS News did a great piece on new gun owners, and focused it on African Americans and people of color who have come together to arm themselves, because the police can't, or won't, or would be the ones brutalizing them.

The more leftist and POC gun owners we get into the firearms community, the better.
Or we could fix our broken system of public safety and not have everyone and their mother carrying. Arming more people isn't going to make anyone more safe, it's just going to ensure that we get more deadly shootouts :shrug:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

golden bubble posted:

It seems entirely this + Youngkin being better at campaigning. Looking at the preliminary breakdowns, Youngkin is outperforming Trump in one area (White voters who have not completed a bachelor's degree), and performing the same as Trump everywhere else. But sadly, getting that extra +15% on white, low-education voters was enough to carry the day.

There's pretty clear erosion too in New York burbs and NJ Governor still remains a toss-up/lean Democratic (partially because the vote-by-mail numbers are all goofy). The fact that NJ-Gov is even in the neighborhood of close is more proof that this environment is absolutely god-awful for anyone "in charge" - and that's Biden and his ~40% approval ratings. It's an easy story to tell - Biden promised normalcy and got elected because of it, has both houses of Congress, then Delta happened and hosed everything up. Voters don't much care that it's not in his control and he's doing drat-near everything to mitigate it (and Republicans are actively resisting). They don't even care much right now about Donnie's Comeback Tour. Democrats are "in charge" and everything still "going to hell", so the burbs are eroding and rurals are turning out at never-before-seen levels.

Just caught a 73% Latino, Biden +14 local seat in San Antonio flipping to a Republican. It's very much an election where you'd have to be a good Democratic candidate to win and hoooo boy TMac wasn't. He actually is going to get more votes than Northam did in 2021, but got absolutely swamped.

Edit: at least all my local poo poo came through fine. The usual democratic clean-sweep, even when Republicans had a solid slate, covered the city in yard signs, and even ginned up a bullshit controversy about a Veterans Memorial that got moved a whole 40 feet.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 3, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Or we could fix our broken system of public safety and not have everyone and their mother carrying. Arming more people isn't going to make anyone more safe, it's just going to ensure that we get more deadly shootouts :shrug:

Yea, I'm split personally.

Right wingers and the police shouldn't have a monopoly on guns, for obvious reasons, and better things being possible isn't on the table for tyool 2022. On the other hand, idiocy with guns isn't localized to just one group.

In short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Or as I heard someone else put it one time, I forget where, "I'm glad that I live in a country where I can be as well armed as those who wish to do me and mine harm."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Things are going to continue going to poo poo and next year is going to be an absolute bloodbath politically.

e: I'm just gonna go with a bloodbath along with everything finally imploding financially leading to a competent authoritarian with super majorities in both chambers in 2024. That'll be something.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 3, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Soylent Pudding posted:

Braves win the world series.

Disappointing. I have nothing against the team per se but man are they the team of choice for reactionary southern shitwits and I'd love to have seen them lose

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Platystemon posted:

What’s the age of the girl?

It’s not in the WaPo article.

they mention "underaged" and "teenage" so I'm just going with that to define the statutory issue

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

Things are going to continue going to poo poo and next year is going to be an absolute bloodbath politically.

e: I'm just gonna go with a bloodbath along with everything finally imploding financially leading to a competent authoritarian with super majorities in both chambers in 2024. That'll be something.

https://twitter.com/edburmila/status/1455886735657869317?t=FXwO5Tbpw-9hrscgkZxwiA&s=19

It's really too early for full-blown panic, but that is on the horizon. A year is a long drat time and it's very plausible that Delta recedes from dominating everything by mid-2022 and the economy gets bonkers-level good. Hell, Florida voters seem to not care about the COVID fire that burned out a few months ago - voter memories are goddamn short. I do like this quote:

https://twitter.com/LesserFrederick/status/1455760687473565698?t=udDHlcDyndaPxnbuPtIo2g&s=19

Also, the 2024 nomination remains Donnie's if he wants it, and the country's mood is still "jesus christ not that rear end in a top hat again", so the 2024 competent authoritarian is a ways off :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hey if you want gun control laws in this country the only way it will happen is people that fail the paper bag test getting loud about how much they appreciate having guns. Open question on whether the monkey's paw curls on that one and we get explicit "only white people can have them" laws at the same time though. Mask is off on the Republicans, I think they'd drop the subtle approach with demographic work arounds like taxes and stuff and just go back to literacy test level poo poo where the local good ol' boy has to say who actually needs a gun and who doesn't.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
All the Dems have to do is legalize MJ and convince Sleepy Joe to discharge student loan debt.
Part of me is convinced that's why neither has happened yet, because they want them to be fresh on everybody's minds next November.
(I know what the reality of the situation is, I LIVE to be continuously disappointed)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tracy Morgan is the new voice of Early on the last season of Squidbillies.

Loving everything about that change.

Its shocking that the old southern dude who played a very convincing racist, was in fact, racist himself.

That being said, its gonna be weird not having him voice early, but i think tracey morgan will knock it out of the park

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

Hey if you want gun control laws in this country the only way it will happen is people that fail the paper bag test getting loud about how much they appreciate having guns. Open question on whether the monkey's paw curls on that one and we get explicit "only white people can have them" laws at the same time though. Mask is off on the Republicans, I think they'd drop the subtle approach with demographic work arounds like taxes and stuff and just go back to literacy test level poo poo where the local good ol' boy has to say who actually needs a gun and who doesn't.

Funny you should mention that as the USC is hearing a NY Gun Law right now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/edburmila/status/1455886735657869317?t=FXwO5Tbpw-9hrscgkZxwiA&s=19

It's really too early for full-blown panic, but that is on the horizon. A year is a long drat time and it's very plausible that Delta recedes from dominating everything by mid-2022 and the economy gets bonkers-level good. Hell, Florida voters seem to not care about the COVID fire that burned out a few months ago - voter memories are goddamn short. I do like this quote:

Oh good, all the democrats have to do is pass a big spending bill that helps people. I'm sure there's nobody who will stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VA Statehouse is going to be 52R/48D. Life is poo poo. Eat Arby's.