Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jesus loving Christ
If anyone has any optimism about how America recovers from this bullshit, please share it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Also, we've had two voters in 20 minutes for this municipal election. This 14-hour day might drag a bit!
I was at polling places putting up signs for our non-insane school board candidates this morning and caught the poll workers dragging in at 5:30. I'm guessing we'd get a ton more poll workers if it was two shifts instead of "share this room with strangers, half of whom hate you, for 14 goddamn hours."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Surprised myself that my first thought after watching the security get overrun and then the barrier get overrun wasn't "these dumb loving kids" but that security theater has gotten so loving ridiculous and omnipresent that I kinda understand people thinking that its all just some bullshit to jump over.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The worst thing about this movie is that it teases what would've been a badass movie inside it. One of the city-killer ships *landed* in Africa and the continent went to war with the aliens and *won*. But we never get to see *any* of that awesome :black101: poo poo.
Have never seen this movie, but would watch the hell out of THAT movie.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

electrical engineer buddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

switch out some outlets this weekend
Man, have I got some bad news for you about the difference between an electrician and an electrical engineer.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've done a bunch of PSD work in theater.

The fact only one idiot got killed is pretty impressive, because as soon as they breached, I'd have started popping grapes like winery.
I remember messaging my brother as we were watching a livestream that as soon as they kicked down the exterior doors they were going to be mowed down. Too much Clancy/Bruckheimer for me, I think. Can't believe how close a mob of random idiots were allowed to come to decapitating the legislature, and that the survival of our democracy may have come down to a couple security guys with suits and Glocks.

My Clancy/Bruckheimer brain worms wonder which foreign country is going to pepper its special forces into the crowd the next time the chuds try this to really gently caress us up.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
On a zoom where a woman is talking about her aid work in Afghanistan as it was collapsing and she had a brief aside about an interpreter in the crowd outside the airport who was waving a picture of Chesty Puller to get the Marines to get him inside the airport.

She didn't say if it worked or not, but [insert gif of guy tapping his temple and smiling here].

Eventually this is going to turn to what we can do locally to help refugees, but we get story time first.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just another thing to lay on the pile of "things that lay bare what a bunch of bullshit we've been fed re our government." It's real, real hard to see the US as anything but just another repressive regime. I just got to not notice it for a long time because I'm a middle class white male.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CainFortea posted:

This is the same kinda poo poo that war hawks talk about other countries doing before we invade them for oil.
Exactly. Repressive regime that targets ethnic minorities, etc.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Because their knowledge of history comes from the history channel and whatever dumb poo poo tucker is saying.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Alberta is Texas.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
"The rule of law" is just another broken piece of American infrastructure at this point.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

drat, more evidence that Biden is anti-medicine. Terrible news, what a betrayal:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1460211182351048704?s=21

Seriously, though, the idea that if someone is effective in developing a fact-ignoring cult of personality, you should just keep them around longer lest their supporters ignore the new leader… lol
Leaving yourself open to two potentially fatal diseases to own the libs. Oh no... don't...

Edit: Seriously, though, is there anything that's NOT partisan in 2021 America? We've allowed ourselves to be brand groups into entre lives based on our politics.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Watching this country speedrun becoming a Russia-style global also-ran that is overcome by regional conflict, disease, and an antiquated economy that exists to enrich its oligarchs sure would be a lot more fun if I was outside of it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup. If you're going to protest you may as well go strapped
But also this

Best Friends posted:

If you think the law will apply the same to "antifa blm radicals" you are very mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59cg62wqpY

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

I can't possibly give a gently caress with the logical decorum was perfectly preserved and the sanctity of the law upheld when the system backing it is a turd in the 1st place.
This, except a reaction of "omg, this is a travesty of justice, how could this happen" lets the very system thst made this all legal off the hook. This is the system working exactly as designed, and thats completely hosed.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 20, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I miss when my first thought seeing that would have been "jfc, did some grandpa forget which is the gas and which is the brake again?" You know, like...21 years ago.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

I had a job once where we were supposed to collect race and ethnicity data for events that we held and the existing practice when I started was to stand at the back of the room and "eyeball it".
Ugh, I'm triggered.

The nonprofit sector has been grappling with inequality for a long time now. So many funders want demographics so they can feel good that their money is going to "underserved communities." Worked with an arts organization that was dealing with a major funder that wanted more non-white people to attend the free public concerts said organization put on all summer in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. Concerts that you just walked into the neighborhood park where they were happening and enjoyed. So said nonprofit did exactly this. Eyeballed the poo poo out of it and low and behold, their stats showed more non-white participation.

This story repeats 1000 times across the nonprofit sector. Unless it's something like a school with enrolment forms or a social service organization with intake that specifically can ask race (or thanks to physical segregation, zip code) everyone is eyeballing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also :lol: we took his gold and silver.
How loving perfect is it that this idiot plays Judas? They took his 30 pieces.