Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I can't tell if this is the story of a dad who went murderously crazy after getting infected by the QAnon brainworms or if he committed a horrific but understandable act, though that interpretation is certainly undercut by him leaving the body in the trunk of a car for a year. I think there's probably an ocean of extremely-loving-relevant detail that needs a hell of a lot more context in the bolded section below.

That is some crazy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Does anyone have a source for this other than twitter? I'm not finding any articles... Maybe I'm using the wrong words?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Various goons also received said mailer. It's legit.

Thanks, I’m surprised this hasn’t been more of a story.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

This has struck me to my core.

On one hand, Go Pack, Go!

On the other hand, gently caress that poo poo. I'm not sure if Rodgers kept it hidden all these years or if the brain worms are a recent development, but gently caress THAT.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

While we're talking about wasted cinematic opportunities, I'm still so bummed that World War Z got turned into a relatively generic action-horror movie when it could have been an *incredible* mini-series with each chapter of Max Brooks' book being told in a pseudo-documentary style. Imagine an episode on society collapsing during the Great Panic, a Ken Burns' Vietnam-style episode on the Battle of Yonkers, the wartime economy, etc. gently caress, every time I think about that squandered opportunity I have to walk around for a couple of minutes.

And also we're not getting a sequel to WWZ for many reasons; apparently the reason was because films about zombies or ghosts are banned in China and Paramount didn't want to alienate that market.

I would have loved WWZ to be like the book. Especially if they got the narrators from the History channel to be in it. I would have watched that movie 1000 times. I guess its time to re-read the book.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh I know. I just meant in terms of actually being able to truly get to him. I mean it's still crazy only Batshit Babbitt got domed. I have to imagine Pence's detail is equipped with both sidearms and SMGs, along with whatever Capital PD had.

When watching that day on TV, I was convinced that the day would end with dead bodies littering the Capitol grounds.

Part of me is always saddened by the loss of life. Part of me wishes that day turned out differently.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Blind Rasputin posted:

If you all want some more technology news, this blew my mind.

https://youtu.be/U7CCq4oBgw4

Short of it is, a small company that’s been working on this project for a number of years now has figured out how to store hydrogen, for hydrogen fuel cells, as a solid at room temperature and ambient pressure. Their storage system looks almost like a tape reel: a big roll of this special thin film made out of some metalloid composite material is run through an air capture aperture and sucks hydrogen out of the air, which sticks to the tape. This tape can be “played back” and exposed to basically a CD player laser beam, which switches the polarity of the tape to release the hydrogen. This system can store an immense amount of hydrogen, at room temperature and ambient pressure. It’s.. seriously a massive breakthrough.

It says a lot that after the DOE reviewed their project a few years ago the DOD immediately placed a poo poo ton of restrictions and classifications on it (which really slowed down the company’s progress in further innovating it) because it was such a powerful game changing energy storage system.

This could be some really cool technology. We need better and more ways to store energy. Batteries are fine, but the more options we have, the more advancements we will get.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Immanentized posted:

I guess Lowtax died?!?

Is that real?!?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The defense has rested in the Rittenhouse trail. I assumed that it would take longer.

This guy is going to walk, isn’t he?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Handsome Ralph posted:

On that note, it'd be real loving neato if Biden told OPM that non-clearance level jobs (so like public trust type stuff) do not need to give a poo poo about weed. I'd love it if they did it for anything secret and above too, but doubtful that happens anytime soon.

Anyways, here's more stupidity from the Rittenhouse Trial's judge.
https://twitter.com/Guinz/status/1459216913536634881

Is the jury in the courtroom during this?

It seems like he is trying to tell the jury that he believes some evidence is "wrong", but not actually saying it. I was under the assumption that actions/behavior like that was the domain of lawyers, not judges.

Legal goons, make me understand.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Best Friends posted:

The only way to represent employees and employers at the same time is to either do nothing (d) or do stuff that doesn't actually change material $ reality (r)

Somewhat related, it's darkly funny that we're in a legitimate crisis of transportation infrastructure and Buttigeig is basically invisible outside of getting documentaries about his personal life. Consultant through and through. But, the entire managerial liberal class that he epitomizes just doesn't believe government should be able to do much. I'm not sure he even conceptualizes that he might have a role in this crisis.

Yeah, my wife can’t understand that I’m pro paternity leave, but not when you take it at the exact moment you need to preform you job, that impacts every single American.

He seems so aloof, like he doesn’t realize what is happening around him.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thwomp posted:

I cannot recall a single Secretary of Transportation that served during my lifetime. Was it LaHood for Obama? No idea.

To be fair, he couldn’t do anything until the bill passed which it only did last weekend. And even then, how many individual projects require his signature within the first few days of the bill going into law?

Besides, that’s the point of parental leave, to allow someone, even a critical individual, to have time with a new baby and bond without fear of job loss or reprimand. Could the timing be better? Sure. But when, in the history of children, have they ever come at a convenient time, all things considered?

I get that and agree.

It felt odd for some reason. Personal bias? Maybe.

Maybe I expected more from someone who was trying to be the President. If the day to day wasn’t much, why wasn’t he helping lobby for the bill?

Now that I write the above I’m beginning to think that my displeasure seems to be more generally directed at the administration as a whole, his circumstances are providing me a target.

Frankly, I expected more of a “full court press” from the admin, not this disjointed whatever we’ve gotten.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

thats why I said with a minimum of planning, but its funny how gop politicians seem to have poo poo lined up and waiting for say, a judge who is pro-life to take the bench, but dems never have time/funds/whatever for a major national role to be prepared for a role defining bill to pass.

This is exactly what sets me off.

I know it’s “everyone” in the party, but drat, this should have been nonstop “progress” rammed down America’s throat.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Godholio posted:

This is why the "no reason to vote/blue no matter who hurrrrr" people bother me. No, a vote for Biden absolutely doesn't fix anything. Not at all. But it kept Trump out of office for four years. Unfortunately, I think these people will have their way in 2024, with the lovely center-right establishment Democrat losing the election. God knows who that will give the White House to, but it's certain to be worse.

The only thing I’m taking solace in right now is that things would be far, far worse with Trump in charge.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Loucks posted:

How so? Democrats seem to be pushing the same pro-wealth, anti-working class agenda the GOP does, just as Joe promised when he told donors that nothing fundamentally would change. Is it just that they’re less gauche? At least under Trump the administration’s incompetence often led to their ghoulish plans’ failure and the liberals weren’t all completely asleep. Most of my liberal friends are convinced that the adults are in charge and have stopped paying attention, meanwhile the border camps are still packed full of the humans their yard signs insist aren’t illegal, we’re on track for more Covid deaths in Biden’s first year than we saw in Trump’s final year, and Joe Biden, an architect of the nation’s failed war on drugs, has signaled that he’s quite happy to let people continue to be forced into slave labor for the crime of being caught with a plant despite being able to stop such an obvious injustice with the stroke of a pen.

Big Headline is wrong. We aren’t going to see an end to democracy: it has been and gone, and we are ruled by oligarchs who maintain a thin veneer of democratic legitimacy to keep the people in line.

Look, they leave much (so very much ) to be desired.

We would have twice as many dead under Trump. Everything that we are complaining about now would be accelerated, others have already observed that the republicans are quick to push through plans while the dems don’t.

Are they doing what I want them to do? No. Are they better than Trump? Yes. I can hold that opinion, it isn’t like you have to do mental gymnastics to equate the current admin as “better”.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

To follow-up on what was posted earlier, it appears that the prosecutor and judge are having a dumb-off in the Rittenhouse trial and the judge was actually right.

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1460294595569405955

Ah yes, the infamous "I was going to hunt" defense.

I get that, technically, a 17 year old can own a "hunting" rifle in WI, but he wasn't from WI, brought the weapon across state lines illegally, and totally was NOT using the weapon for "hunting."

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Crab Dad posted:

This whole case has been bullshit from day one.

This.

I have a bad feeling Kenosha is going to suck for a good while after this verdict.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

When I told my wife that Beto was running she said, “great, Abbott is going to win isn’t he?”

She is willing to vote for ANY opposition to Abbott.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A Bad Poster posted:

The biggest one to me was that airmen automatically get BAH at E4 or 3 years of service. I did not learn that until I was an E4 with 4 years of service in the army. If every recruit for every other branch knew that was AF policy, versus what every other branch does, then nobody would ever enlist for a branch other than the Air Force. I sure know I wouldn't have.

They should advertise that. I would have went airforce.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

We all hoped for better.

Kenosha is going to burn this weekend.

I am worried about any precedent that this verdict may start. Being able to claim self defense, while transporting a weapon across state lines, into a situation that the media has already declared violent, can only lead to lots of dead people.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

We need to get the writer of this 1997 WIRED graphic on the line to tell us what’s happening next.

I never thought I would see a 10/10 prediction from ‘97

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Trump was one of the global elite that launched COVID. His alleged infection was a false flag tactic to expose evil DEMONCRATS.

Not sure what the angle is, but… Jesus, take the info wars poo poo somewhere else.