Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Best Friends posted:

Conservative US Catholics just pretend they're evangelicals on everything. There's not actually much difference in belief, even on the big things like biblical literalism and "are vaccines good"

Yeah this is my not quite tradcath step family that have gone all in on Q since the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

facialimpediment posted:

Virginia goons - this sound right based on your anecdotals? Looks like any weird end result isn't going to be due to low turnout.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455625211362095111?t=h-aR5SNLwYXgBPcg7ifQpg&s=19

I had to wait 20 minutes to vote early on Saturday. Longest early voting line I've had in Arlington. The 2020 election had a shorter line though they also had more stations open then.

Also the person in front of me was voting in their first election since becoming a citizen. Everyone actually did stand and applaud.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Trying to keep myself from frantically f5ing every few seconds to get Va results. Especially since Fairfax accounted a delay in reporting their early voting tallies.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Yeah I don't know a thing about what McAuliffe was campaigning for. He was just kinda there.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Braves win the world series.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

When I got that I legit thought it was a republican mailer. The Dems mailers and canvassers were literally just "go vote" with not message as to who to vote for or why. At best "keep Virginia blue".

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I got one and spent a good 5 minutes trying to figure out which party sent it.

Also:
https://mobile.twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1455863416040603658?s=20

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah like others have said, replacing office drones with oversea workers has been a thing long before WFH and COVID. I don't disagree with you that it's certainly going to accelerate now (and that doesn't even include things like automation), but I think the bigger ramifications are still ahead of us. Personally I think it's a beneficial change but like any major shift in work culture, there are going to be downsides that people didn't really think of.

That substack article is right about the next time the GOP takes control of the house though. You are def. going to see legislation aimed at forcing Federal workers returning to office getting passed. Though I wonder how the unions will deal with it.

My agency is explicitly declining to renew our leases on the grounds that WFH and remote positions are more cost effective than DC office rents. We literally can't move people back to the office because we don't have the office to put them in.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm actually worried combined flu-covid booster shots will mean fewer people get the flu shot.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

And today I learn that Max Brooks is Mel Brooks kid.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

For a naval miniseries do either the merchant marine hauling lend lease supplies around Scandinavia to Russia or the hunt for the Bismark.

For historical miniseries in general they should do one on the South Seas investment bubble and how Walpole rode out the scandal to create the prime ministership.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can bet everyone thinks "hitler had some good ideas"

It is however a lot of fun to ask them which ideas those were

I liked his idea of shooting Hitler.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bored As gently caress posted:

gently caress Elon I hope he loses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the 2017 election the VA DNC lost its chance at taking control of the statehouse because they let too many races go uncontested. It came down to drawing a name out of a 35mm film container to decide which party would control the statehouse. The Republicans won. The Democrats finally took it in 2019 with a rather large margin, but lost it this time around.

I should also note that they managed to gently caress up their *right* to redistrict the state, being the party in the majority, and the state legislature is allowed to vote on and approve new districts. But the GOP got the ballot initiative marked in such a way that made it sound like it was something *good* to undo years of precedent which would've allowed, at least for the next decade. They never explained it to Democratic voters, and even though it was marked "VOTE NO" on the Democratic sample ballot, it's not like you can trust anyone to read those!

So even though Trump lost VA by a little over ten points, *this* poo poo happened: https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_Question_1,_Redistricting_Commission_Amendment_(2020)

65.69% of the electorate voted to allow the GOP to upend legislative precedent because they worded the ballot initiative with :decorum:.

Not that it's any surprise, but the bipartisan commission can't agree on loving *anything*, which is burning valuable time that could've been spent with different congressional districts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/10/20/virginia-congressional-redistricting-gridlock/

WHEN the redistricting committee admits they're deadlocked and unable to come to a consensus, the ultimate decision on redistricting falls to the VA Supreme Court Justices, which currently stands at 4:3 D:R.

Be sure to note the "Compositions" here to see just how infuriating it is to live in a state where the Democrats tripped over their dicks into a majority and now seem to be loving it away back to a Republican supermajority: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_Virginia#Current_composition

The only den group I saw actively campaigning against that ballot initiative was the NAACP.