Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Things that are happening:

Alec Baldwin killed a guy
Waygu beef- apparently newsworthy!
COVID- still a thing though
Climate Change: will the world agree that it’s bad and maybe do something about it? lol
Donald Trump: still president? NO!

Edit: at least October ended the best way that it could have.

https://twitter.com/FreakSugar/status/1455128794310844418?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

To contribute to my own pitiful thread, the Washington Post dropped a huge, three-part story on what happened before, during and after the Jan 6 insurrection. Among their findings- the FBI didn’t seem to take the threat seriously at all despite local law enforcement freaking out, response plans were hampered due to miscommunications between agencies and more importantly stonewalling by the Trump administration, and this thing was way closer to being a successful coup than anyone had been willing to acknowledge. The whole thing is excellently sourced and well written, and is definitely worth a read.

It also has some occasionally funny parts:

quote:

Only one House member and one senator needed to sign to prompt the chambers to split apart and debate the merits of each contested state. Still, many Republicans wanted to have proof that they supported these contests, so dozens upon dozens signed their names. “The things we do for the orange Jesus,” one of them muttered aloud as he signed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ahahahahahah we're so loving doomed

https://twitter.com/ninalakhani/status/1455188469400195082

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

There’s video of Biden appearing to fall asleep at COP26 so you can anticipate at least a few days of low-effort Sleepy Joe jokes posted by your racist uncle on Facebook.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1455283505533947904

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I can't tell if this is the story of a dad who went murderously crazy after getting infected by the QAnon brainworms or if he committed a horrific but understandable act, though that interpretation is certainly undercut by him leaving the body in the trunk of a car for a year. I think there's probably an ocean of extremely-loving-relevant detail that needs a hell of a lot more context in the bolded section below.

quote:

A Washington man killed his daughter's teenage boyfriend after he believed the beau sold his child to sex traffickers in Seattle, police said.

John Eisenman, 60, was arrested last Friday on a charge of first-degree murder in connection with the 2020 killing of his underage daughter's 19-year-old boyfriend, the Spokane Police Department said Monday.

Authorities say that in October of last year, Eisenman "learned his juvenile daughter was allegedly sold to a sex-trafficking organization in the Seattle area."

Eisenman "obtained information" that his daughter's beau — who police did not identify — "may have been the one responsible for her sale," cops said.

Eisenman and his fiancée claimed that the couple went to Seattle and rescued their daughter in October 2020, according to the Spokesman-Review.

Spokane police couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday to confirm if the daughter had actually been sold into a sex-trafficking ring.

When Eisenman learned that the boyfriend would be somewhere in the city of Airway Heights in November 2020, he waited for him and confronted him when he arrived, according to authorities.

"During that encounter Eisenman abducted the victim, tying him up and placing him in the trunk of a vehicle," police said in a statement, adding that Eisenman "subsequently assaulted the victim by hitting him in the head with a cinder block and then stabbed him" to death.

Police say Eisenman then drove the vehicle — with the body inside — to a remote area in North Spokane County and abandoned the car and the corpse.

The body wasn't found until last month when the vehicle was driven to Spokane "by a third party" who apparently don't know a body was in the trunk, cops said.

The vehicle was then abandoned in the city of Everett.

"While parked on Everett, individuals were rummaging through the car and taking items when they made the gruesome discovery" of the body, police said.

Officers with the Spokane Police Department responded to a report of an abandoned vehicle "with a foul odor emanating from it" on October 22 and found the human remains inside.

Eisenman has been booked into the Spokane County Jail.

Authorities say he had no recent criminal history, nor any violent criminal history.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1455716232007757825

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So...and I'm not saying this in any way justifies anything...but is it true that one of the people he shot actually a sex offender? I just figured it's better to ask here then searching around the internet.

Yeah, Joseph Rosenbaum. It sounds like he was mentally ill and had a super crappy life. Of course it’s not like Rittenhouse knew any of this before he decided to play hero and create the conditions wherein he shot three people.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/us/kyle-rittenhouse-shooting-victims-trial/index.html

quote:

Rosenbaum battled bipolar disorder and was homeless, according to The Washington Post, which reported he had been discharged from a hospital earlier in the day after a suicide attempt. He had spent more than a decade in prison in Arizona after being convicted of sexual conduct with a minor.
He was not part of the protesters nor the groups of armed men who were also there, the Post reported. He had briefly visited his fiancée after being discharged, to whom he proposed the previous winter in the middle of a busy sidewalk. It was just who he was, she told the Post: "He'd make you laugh out of nowhere."
"He wasn't down there as a rioter or a looter," Rosenbaum's fiancée told the Post in reference to August 25. "Why was he there? I have no answer. I ask myself that question every day."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. never truly eliminated it.

It just got pushed out of sight and out of mind, to poor black communities.

Ah, so the system works!

On a similar note- ProPublica did another solid journalistic feat and did a huge expose on "sacrifice zones" where the air that people breathe is packed full of carcinogens and toxic chemicals. And guess what-

quote:

In all, ProPublica identified more than a thousand hot spots of cancer-causing air. They are not equally distributed across the country. A quarter of the 20 hot spots with the highest levels of excess risk are in Texas, and almost all of them are in Southern states known for having weaker environmental regulations. Census tracts where the majority of residents are people of color experience about 40% more cancer-causing industrial air pollution on average than tracts where the residents are mostly white. In predominantly Black census tracts, the estimated cancer risk from toxic air pollution is more than double that of majority-white tracts.

Why, it's almost like environmental racism is real!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Another symptom of Hellworld:
https://www.reuters.com/breakingvie..._source=twitter

Black Rifle Coffee Company, the preferred bean water of chuds and "I totally would have enlisted back in 2007 but didn't but yet my opinion on X matters more than yours" types, is going to go public and is somehow valued at $1.7 billion USD.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Dying in a crowd crush is probably my least preferred way to die and one of the reasons why I tend to stick to the sides of concerts (remember those lol) when I see bands play. Crowds in general just make me nervous; it only takes one idiot to plant the seeds of panic.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV7NkBiLf3L/?utm_medium=copy_link

Holy poo poo this is so sad, terrifying and enraging.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Alec Baldwin continues to just absolutely suck:

https://twitter.com/EntInsider/status/1457713040623902722

"Yes, let's introduce cops into ANOTHER place where they didn't belong previously. No, of course the issue isn't that I used an inexperienced scab armorer after the IATSE members on set walked off because of egregious safety issues; clearly, we need more police to make sure I don't kill someone again."

God, seriously, gently caress this guy. I hope there aren't any dogs on set of his next film if he gets his way.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

The movie Independence Day vastly overestimated our ability to cope with paradigm shifts and how much Morse code I would know as a soldier.

If Independence Day happened in our world today, there would be a significant segment of the population who believe that “President Shitmore” conspired with other globalist world leaders to pull off a massive false flag event. The aliens weren’t real and their spaceships were fake, the cities were destroyed by nuclear weapons (smuggled from Iraq to disguise the signature of the blasts, that’s why we actually invaded to steal their WMDs because Saddam wouldn’t go along with the plot) and they’ve since been secretly rebuilt to house millions of illegal immigrants - the REAL alien invasion. Anyone you know who died in New York/LA/DC was a crisis actor. Oh and gently caress you libtard, the surviving frogs are all gay now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Battle LA was a really understated movie. Just good, cool action throughout.

Edge of Tomorrow is a goddamned masterpiece from start to finish. Tom Cruise the person sometimes gives me the heebie-jeebies with the Scientology stuff, but he's a good actor and he was perfectly cast for that role. Also Emily Blunt just absolutely killed it in that role. It's a bummer that the prospective sequel seems to have entered development hell, though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I know it would never happen but an ID4 sequel where the world is trying to recover as Africa fights a downed city ship could have been fascinating. Have African nations recover the most alien tech intact and get an Xcom level science boost. Nations could squander limited funds on military buildup and watching the skies as their people try to recover. Cities would naturally resist becoming too large out of fear of alien return so rural areas experience a "Resurgence." How do world religions take into account the existence of aliens? Tons of potential.

While we're talking about wasted cinematic opportunities, I'm still so bummed that World War Z got turned into a relatively generic action-horror movie when it could have been an *incredible* mini-series with each chapter of Max Brooks' book being told in a pseudo-documentary style. Imagine an episode on society collapsing during the Great Panic, a Ken Burns' Vietnam-style episode on the Battle of Yonkers, the wartime economy, etc. gently caress, every time I think about that squandered opportunity I have to walk around for a couple of minutes.

And also we're not getting a sequel to WWZ for many reasons; apparently the reason was because films about zombies or ghosts are banned in China and Paramount didn't want to alienate that market.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also remembered the exact part when a bunch of hipster poo poo heads (who wouldn't shut up during it) during the movie started laughing when Michael Pena dies and I just started screaming at them and said I'd shove an issue of Pitchfork up their asses if they didn't shut up. They actually did. Still can't believe I did that. :lol:

What an incredibly specific and awesome threat that is.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

LLBD hits that blend of "excellently researched" and "irreverently presented" that just makes it super fun to listen to. He also frequently has at least one of the guys from Well There's Your Problem or A Hell Of A Way to Die as co-hosts/collaborators so it's usually very entertaining.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just based on how the judge has continuously melted down over any and all criticism he gets from the media, and then shutting down the prosecution repeatedly.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1458488220006719494

He's gonna walk. gently caress everything about this.

Can't they get him on the whole straw purchasing an AR-15 thing?

This loving kid is going to walk and then we're going to have to deal with the inevitable book "A Patriot's Plea: Restoring Sanity and Security to Our Self-Defense Laws (forward by Col. Robert North, USMC Retired)," a direct-to-streaming movie written by Ben Shapiro and directed by Clint Eastwood and then another 70 years of grifting by this little poo poo. I hope he and Zimmerman do a speaking tour together and both burn up when their tour bus crashes.

Edit:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh man they have an episode on everyone's favorite (and only) Emperor of Central Africa. Probably pairs well with the Warner Herzog doc on him.

Wow one on the Albania ponzi scheme that provoked that Mad Max period in the country.

Having been to Bangui three times, these episodes were especially fascinating. CAR is one of the most dirt-poor, resource-rich countries in the world and probably the only reason there's been any development in the city since the 1960s is the need for infrastructure for the ever-rotating presence of French/UN peacekeepers. There used to be an honest-to-god refugee camp on the airport grounds, with a company of infantrymen whose sole job it was to keep people from running into the path of aircraft. The runway doesn't have lights so if your landing gets delayed past sundown- too bad, enjoy spending the night in the Douala airport or whatever.

It was also pretty creepy not really seeing any old people in town. The life expectancy is like in the low 50s there.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 10, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This was supposedly his last post on Facebook so an OD seems like a possibility

Alternately :tinfoil:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a post from Lady Ambien in the (now closed) GBS thread that has more details. There's also a GoFundMe that has been redirected to support his kids.

It's a sad and hosed situation.

Shot himself rather than pay child support. gently caress that guy forever. I’ll probably kick in to help support his kids but it just figures his final legacy will be goons bailing his dead rear end out yet again.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

I realize this sounds like a troll but I fully mean it: if you're watching hours of youtubes about when you should and should not be shooting people, go to therapy instead. I guarantee your life is not that dangerous, and fixating on the use of lethal force is not doing your mental health any favors.

I totally get your point but the flip side is that if there’s one lesson that all of these videos teach you it’s that you do not want to be in a situation where you feel compelled to use lethal force, ever. I would rather swallow my pride and lose every argument, surrender my wallet, or run for my life than draw a weapon and fire it because the consequences of the former three examples I gave are dwarfed by the potential legal, financial and psychological consequences of the latter. If you come away from any kind of firearms instruction thinking “Hell yeah, no thug’s gonna get the drop on me and I wish one would try!” then you’re an aspiring Rittenhouse or some other shitbag chud in the making.

That said, if you are someone who feels like you need to carry for whatever reason, then you do have an obligation to scrutinize all of the shoot/no-shoot scenarios that you can so that you can develop an understanding of the very narrow circumstances under which shooting someone is morally and legally justifiable.

I’ve said this before and frankly I wish I could buy a Super Bowl ad saying the same, but firearms proficiency doesn’t make you a more manly man or better citizen. Humility, compassion, empathy and self-confidence do, and that’s poo poo you can’t get by filling out a 4473, to the detriment of all.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

It wasn't just a handful. But more my point is that he was caught out massaging the story here, so everything he does is now suspect. But some people either don't know about it, or handwave it away because guns are involved.

Do you have a link to that? I just skimmed his post history from when he registered (after the Richmond rally, IIRC) to a few months after and I didn't see any posts about that. From what I remember about the Worst Year Ever episode where they talked about it, he did mention that there were leftist/POC/LGBTQI protestors out as well, but let's face it- it was at least 95% chuds out there.

Back in like June, QCS blew up and claimed he was a CIA/State Department cutout because he supported the Libya intervention and worked for Brown Moses. To be fair, I think a lot of people supported the Libya intervention- hell, I used to- and back in like 2011-2014, tons of people liked Brown Moses for the OSINT work he was pioneering and posting in the Middle East thread. The QCS thread felt like a bunch of Extremely Online posters turning SA's Two Minutes Hate onto him for a few dozen pages before it got locked and it flamed out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Dum Cumpster posted:

Starting to think we might have a slight prison problem

OK, so while we've established gently caress Tarrio and All Other Proud Boys, the DC Jail (where he's serving his five-month sentence) *is* terrible. Via the NYT:

quote:

hat set off this latest round of protest was an episode involving Christopher Worrell, a member of the far-right group the Proud Boys, who has been at the jail since his arrest this spring. Mr. Worrell, who has cancer, broke one of his pinkies while in custody (though initial reports said it was his wrist). After several failed attempts to get him treatment for the finger, his lawyer asked a federal judge for help.

The judge, Royce C. Lamberth, tried to get officials at the jail to accelerate the process of providing medical records to Mr. Worrell’s lawyer and after a number of delays, he angrily held the officials in contempt. As part of his contempt decision, Judge Lamberth recommended that the Justice Department investigate conditions at the jail to determine whether the civil rights of any other Jan. 6 defendants had been violated.

Within days, the U.S. Marshals Service, which oversees federal detainees, opened an inquiry into the jail and soon determined, among other things, that there were sewage and water leaks inside and that corrections officers often antagonized their charges, sometimes withholding food and water for “punitive reasons.”

The most serious problems, the marshals found, were in an older part of the jail complex called the Central Detention Facility, not in the Correctional Treatment Facility, where all of the Jan. 6 defendants are held.

Note that last bit: while it's bad where the insurrectionists are being held, it's WORSE in the areas where the predominantly Black people incarcerated while awaiting trial or serving out their sentences. As with everything in DC's loving awful city government, top officials from the Mayor on down are acting shocked and horrified and pointing fingers everywhere but themselves. Also, this is nothing new- allegations of horrible conditions have been claimed and substantiated for a long goddamn time.

It's a travesty that it took a bunch of coddled White treason aficionados complaining in order to get any kind of action on this, but as we've discussed repeatedly, neglect and abuse should not be a part of anyone's pre-trial confinement or actual sentence regardless of their crime.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think you’re ignoring what I’m actually saying. Plenty of people under the umbrella of Bellingcat, some of it not flattering to the US and it’s allies and have put out good information.

But the same thing could be said for Wikileaks and Russia, yet somehow they’re still a GRU op, even though I don’t believe they’ve ever been openly funded. It’s also ridiculous to suggest that Wikileaks hasn’t also somehow been influenced by Russian intelligence.

Bellingcat absolutely has. It’s not a secret that the National Endowment For Democracy gave them money. Higgins denied it a while back but now openly admits it.

If you don’t think leadership and funding sources matter in journalism than I don’t want to tell you.

https://mronline.org/2021/04/12/how-bellingcat-launders-national-security-state-talking-points-into-the-press/

The article you linked originally ran on MintPressNews, which is a conspiratorial site which has run truther articles about the 2013 sarin attacks in Damascus and has never disclosed where its own funding came from.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Really great episode of The Team House where they interview Sean Naylor who wrote Not A Good Day To Die, about Operation Anaconda, and Relentless Strike about the history of JSOC.

He's apparently PNGed from the NSW community because he wrote what fuckups they were in Anaconda.

https://youtu.be/xUzFMADUPNY

This was pro-click as gently caress. Come for the JSOC gossip; stay to find out that Sean Naylor got into journalism because he was a teenage metalhead who really, really wanted to interview the drummer from Rush for his high school paper.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Marc Thiessen is one of the “conservatives” the Post keeps on for “balance” but he’s just a shithead right winger who throws dumb, awful Republican talking points for clickbait’s sake.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/APFactCheck/status/1461455193044922371?s=20

Right-wing sites and disinformation outlets are already running with the "piles of bricks left out for Antifa agitators" fake story that they also went with during last year's protests.

Gonna be a long few days when the Rittenhouse verdict comes out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/DrPaulGosar/status/1461824550400888840

Living in this cool and good normal country

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

But it’s her his her his turn!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The POS who killed five people and wounded another 40 is facing five counts of first-degree intentional homicide. Unsurprisingly he's got a history of violence against women.

quote:

Mr. Brooks had been free on $1,000 bail in an earlier criminal case, in which he was accused of running over the mother of his child in the parking lot of a Milwaukee gas station with his maroon 2010 Ford Escape earlier this month. A spokesman for the district attorney’s office on Monday described the state’s bail recommendation in that earlier case as “inappropriately low” in light of the seriousness of the charges, and “not consistent” with office policy.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/22/us/waukesha-parade-crash?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What race is the guy because it's so low I'd genuinely be surprised if it was anything other than white

Black guy, apparently.

https://heavy.com/news/darrell-brooks-jr/

This site seems chuddy but it has a lot of info collected about him already.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Eh. CAG wasn’t even trying to hide it when I went to Mali for the first time a few years ago.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

babe wake up new COVID variant just dropped

Not a lot of concrete info on how transmissible it is, whether it’s more deadly or can defeat current vaccines but British health officials are calling it “the most worrying they’ve seen.” Lots and f governments starting to ban flights from Southern Africa already (where the variant was first discovered.)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So for those of you scienticians who know how to speak Science- what does this functionally mean? Is it just the sheer number of mutations that’s bad or are people starting to figure out what their impact could be ahead of any formal findings by CDC or WHO?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

^^^^^^

That’s incredible.

Meanwhile, Israel has basically closed its borders for the next few weeks and is bringing back phone surveillance for COVID patients. I think the latter measure is a scarier sounding term for the kind of location based contract tracing that a lot of states have rolled out but I’m not sure.

As Big Headline was alluding to, the way governments are reacting to this thing- despite confirmation of increased transmissibility or lethality- is making me wonder whether they’re trying to get ahead of another delta-style outbreak (in which case it’s probably too late) or if they’ve got advance information suggesting this thing is really, really bad.

After two years of COVID, my reaction is just kind of “Aw goddamnit, not again.” in thinking about the inevitable return of mask mandates and restrictions- DC just lifted theirs last week, although there is considerable doubt as to whether the Mayor just moved the goalposts to allow her to drop it in time for Thanksgiving or not. I know we’re never going to “get rid” of COVID, but I wonder if humanity is actually going to tolerate living with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1464986104109703175?s=20

OSINT Twitter: We found Wagner in CAR.

Wagner: We made a statue of ourselves in CAR, cyka

I was in Bangui shortly after Wagner showed up. They made it a point to not interact with MINUSCA (the UN peacekeeping mission) or visit the few restaurants around town that catered to foreigners. They had a reputation of being aloof and standoffish when foreign diplomats/mil types encountered them in public, and if I recall correctly, they also pissed off a lot of people when they were initially based or doing training on top of some important figure's grave on the outskirts of Bangui. Who loving knows how much those hideous statues cost in a country that's so poor that most of the population, even in Bangui, lives on less than a dollar per day.

Russia gonna Russia, CAR gonna CAR.