Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm the thief that conned the mark into transferring their assets to me while talking them through their language settings. I now declare this priceless work of art belongs to the people.

I'm keeping the other two.

this is a joke, please don't come after me, all powerful NFT police!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

Democrats probably have to hope for an economic rebound and COVID getting under control by next year
The GOP has been and will continue to work actively to make sure neither of these things happen.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

CBS News did a great piece on new gun owners, and focused it on African Americans and people of color who have come together to arm themselves, because the police can't, or won't, or would be the ones brutalizing them.

The more leftist and POC gun owners we get into the firearms community, the better.
Or we could fix our broken system of public safety and not have everyone and their mother carrying. Arming more people isn't going to make anyone more safe, it's just going to ensure that we get more deadly shootouts :shrug:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

a lot of companies are already looking at it from a "Wait, we can save how much?!?" by not having to maintain an office space for every single employee.
I can't wait until they realize that they could realistically get people abroad to deliver good enough results for a fraction of the cost, leading to what remains of the middle class in high cost of living countries being replaced by equally adequate foreign equivalents.

The main arguments this scenario that people give me are:

A) racist: "lol, no one from Bolivaria is smart enough to code"
B) "cultural" (still racist, just possible less overtly so): "companies look to create a unique culture that a worker in Bolivia just could never fit into because they're foreign and probably don't speak English well"
C) willfully blind about capitalism: "my country's tax code and regulation of international trade make this effectively impossible no, I've never heard of companies forcing through changes to the tax code or trade policy that advantage their bottom lines at the expense of the worker"

And sure, workers in high cost of living countries don't "deserve" a higher quality of life than their counterparts abroad, but allowing capital to destroy all the labor concessions in those countries by abandoning those employment markets en masse would lead toward one hell of a dystopian future.

I'm all for everyone having the opportunity to work from home as needed, but seeing all the enthusiasm for permanent remote work is like watching folks sprint jubilantly toward a cliff.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

TheWeedNumber posted:

Wait how don’t you know who Travis Scott is? How’d you miss out on sicko mode?
I've also never heard of the rear end in a top hat. I chalk it up to having zero visibility into popular music.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Scott kept the show running even as cops and paramedics showed up and tried to resuscitate the dying. Would be curious how long it took for the lights to come up.

https://twitter.com/98__Snake/status/1457020272121466883

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
That teen who struck six cyclists after rolling coal on others is actually facing serious charges thanks to a proactive DA. Hopefully signals a move towards actually prosecuting vehicular violence, though Houston just had another instance of a driver murdering a cyclist and the police just letting him drive away, so there's still a long road ahead.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Gabbard leaning hard(er) into the right-wing grift.

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1458792879871213569?t=G_70xsCL8mLtaXK71QRfAQ&s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
There's a curious tendency for those ardent proponents of using the most radical methods in pursuit of goal X to discount (and, frequently, disparage) those that fight for goal X without the same level of extreme rhetoric or action. Often even to the point where it seems defeating less openly radical groups is a higher priority than effecting the change both express a desire to see! This urge to declare and constantly reinforce this oppositional identity is great for feeling like you're part of a select tribe that's incontrovertibly Correct™, but less great for overcoming an actual opposition that is willing and able to build a broader coalition by reconciling or papering over its own internal dissension in pursuit of its ends.

Uhh, current event: it's cold and dark wtf

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

When it comes to Brown Moses it’s more that he had a consistent track record of steering everything in a pro-NATO “we’re like Wikileaks but not Putin shills like those guys
Can you point to this "pro-NATO" content Bellingcat has put out? Reporting on the Russian-facilitated shootdown of a passenger airliner? Reporting on GRU assassination campaigns in Europe? Reporting on use of chemical weapons and ethnic cleansing by Assadist forces in Syria? Reporting on US nuclear secrets being leaked via people unthinkingly leaving study flashcards publicly visible online? Reporting on Saudi-UAE bombing of civilians in Yemen?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

this isn't to say their reporting is inaccurate, but like any media, it's important to think about what colors their biases
I'm all for maintaining a healthy skepticism of all sources of information, but I'm intensely curious what "pro-NATO" content they've put out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Wait I though I read that these aren’t real according posters who said China isn’t doing anything but help out the people of Xinjiang and also that America did bad things so we need to not say bad things about China. :iiam:

The answer is that tankies and whatabout people are idiots
There's also the non sequitur that, because certain American right-wing figures are disingenuously seizing on these stories for their own aggrandizement, it clearly means the stories themselves are fabrications or wildly inflated. Nevermind the international human rights watchdogs sounding the alarm! Nevermind the countries on China's periphery expressing anxiety about its saber rattling and direct subversion efforts! "China is merely following in the footsteps of other rising powers, whose actions are contemptible examples of the evils of imperialism, but China gets a pass because"

Related
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1460289064234586119?t=a9QFAe1no3U8ebSELnq9oQ&s=19

Also, I've gotten like three hours of sleep tonight, what the gently caress

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
In actual current events, Azerbaijan and Armenia are having a bit of a flare up:
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1460574832161140737?t=-0fsCAQJ3dFpblf4IDricw&s=19

I'm curious what, if anything, Armenia did since the ceasefire last year to remedy their situation.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Holy gently caress this is bad.
"Would the US tolerate an unfriendly state on its periphery?? Russia is merely taking care of its own security as it has the right to do!"
—smooth-brained, "anti-imperialist"s :downs:

I love this framing of Ukraine erecting defenses:
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1461811016921137153?s=20

The RT Twitter hero image is :chefskiss:. Just the most deliberate "our mission is to unapologetically spread FUD". Vranyo, indeed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Got nothing more than a sore arm from either Modena shot. Getting booster this Saturday, hopefully will be the same.

Though I've heard low reaction potentially indicates lower effectiveness?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Other legal news:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1462908274156703754

lol they subpoenaed roger stone and alex jones
... Hunger Games actress Jennifer Lawrence??

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was fleeing something (potentially an incident with a knife), came to police barricades, drove past them, he starts driving around to find a way through and actively doesn't seem like he's trying to run anyone over. At some point police start shooting at his car and he eventually says gently caress it and guns through a section then hauls rear end away.

It wasn't someone trying to deliberately kill people.
The only video I've seen have the only shots fired occurring clearly as he's exiting the parade route, after he's murdered a bunch of people. I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.
https://twitter.com/wxandnews/status/1462562235344199688

Though there's nothing to say he intended to run over a bunch of grannies and little girls when he entered the route, judging by the top down footage, he clearly makes a decision to accelerate through them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
And, to be clear, the tweet I posted completely erroneously claims that he fired a rifle into the crowd, when anyone with eyes can see the only shots in the footage are from the officer. That's definitely the end of the route, though (compare with Google Maps). I haven't seen anything suggesting a pursuit and there's a distinct lack of sirens or pursuit in the video where he's barreling down the route before ramming all the people. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it'd be surprising for it to have not yet come out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

piL posted:

I think a statistical argument for that is plausible, and I can't get a true understanding of positioning without someone doing some legwork on a map. However, in the very narrow time window of "right before those barricades" this seems like a trolley problem with little girls and grannies on one track, and the driver plus someone's yard on the other.
The little girls and grannies were already pulverized by the SUV's grill and ground beneath its tires at that point, so the trolley problem doesn't quite fit.

Luckily the auto industry is still a few years away from 10'-tall grills, or we could have had even more deaths!
https://twitter.com/aabluedot/status/1461969021100646402?t=sKPzNcRdOjFIzS6eAdyyvw&s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Electric bikes are dope.

Pedalling on flat ground is one thing, but when hills are involved, the assistance is to die for.
+1. If you're fortunate enough to live in one of the places in America where biking for errands or a commute is possible, it's really one of the biggest personal decisions you can make to decrease your environmental impact, even relative to an electric car. Families biking with kids on the back or in the cargo area is also adorable.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Best Friends posted:

Unrelated to anything, but can we get fewer stickied threads? On awful app on this forum I have to scroll down to get past them all
Could always bookmark it in the app :shrug:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yeah but then you gotta remember to do that every month, like geez you gonna make me work for it? :effort:
Feature request

maffew buildings posted:

there's another option??

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Buried in that thread was this surprising tidbit:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1455476585079922689?t=aUydyEea-XO6r2tE3gK0Rw&s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I was completely unaware of just how much the new admin has reduced done strikes.
https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1465700856037212162?t=-WLLwi_Tp5G0Y61jE5fzAw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Haven't seen it confirmed, so could easily be faked, but social media is reporting the school was aware of the threat, downplayed it, and took no action to prevent it.
https://twitter.com/brandonplond/status/1465780811928584193?t=7x11Fi8BIzo6LFceJY3KgA&s=19