Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Has anyone watched "Patriot Purge" yet, and could provide a trip report?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Also, cross-posting from my Secret Satan post, since it's a current event:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Due to sea-freight being turbo-hosed, half the world has been scrambling to send interim-shipments via air-freight to avoid stockouts due to delayed sea-freight, and this has already brought some of the European hubs to the breaking point, nevermind the customs offices attached to them.

Current standing advice to suppliers shipping to Europe is to avoid Frankfurt airport AT ALL COSTS.

And we're still more than a month and a half away from Christmas.

Sea-freight to the US is already extremely hosed due to the already existing strain on the supply chain being strained by the COVID-aftershocks, and the looming longshoremen-strike last month had tons of suppliers switch to air-freight relief shipments to the US as well.
Now, without having a complete understanding of US air-freight logstics/the US-intermodal supply chain, I kinda assume relief/replacement-shipments via air to the US will not create the same chaos they've created in Europe (due to cargo flights probably having more potential destinations in the US), I assume the customs offices will be just as hosed as they are over here, because lol government etc.

European logistics are going to turn into an absolute clusterfuck this year, same for the rest of the world probably. If you absolutely, positively are looking to order something for Christmas that you've been eyeballing, don't wait for Black Friday or holiday sales or whatever, order it now.

/edit:
Also, go sign up for TF's SecretSatan thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983682

/Double-edit:
@McNally/IKs: Can you unlock the last CE thread and dump the current CE thread and the SecretSatan thread links in there before locking it again?
I only browse SA through my bookmarks, and if the last post in a monthly-thread doesn't link to the new one, I'll occasionally miss those for some time, I assume I'm not the only one.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 2, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Dum Cumpster posted:

My wife and younger son tested covid positive today, older son and I probably have it, waiting on tests. The information/instructions we're getting from our kids daycare, the high school my wife works for, and our pediatrician is significantly different. Glad we're on top of this pandemic thing.

poo poo, hope you and yours get well, man. Hope you don't suffer any of the bad breakthrough symptoms!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dont know much about his performances - do you have any examples of what you are talking about?

Edit: just saw the thing at lollapalooza - didnt see anything specific about what he did at this show though

Yeah, just looked this up and it's nuts. Seeing a crowd packed like that and telling it to ignore security to rush the stage is absolutely obscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XdL9cJ9QUg

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm tired, I'm just so damned tired

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that, as a prosecutor, you should never pick up the defendant's rifle during your closing arguments and point it at the jury with your finger on the trigger, even if a police officer has told you it's unloaded.

Edit: Even worse, apparently he did pull the trigger.

:psyduck:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I mean, if you don't want to end up with the dumbest version of "Who's on first", maybe lead with "There is a show called 'You' on Netflix", because I didn't know about that show and initially understood it the way she did, then I thought the guy hosed up his research and tried to weasel his way out of it, and THEN I realized he may be talking about the title of a show.

:shrug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Madurai posted:

Of the two possibilities, either this is absolutely face-value idiocy or they're both in on it and are just murdering a joke, there are still zero laughs.

Yeah, I can absolutely see the latter being the case as well, and them going LOLOL TROLLED THE LIBS TRIGGERED MUCH :smug: or something

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I feel like I need to decouple myself from the poo poo going on in the world. The anger over Rittenhouse, the rage over Covid exploding again over here because it was an election year and no-one in government dared to pump the brakes before the fall/winter, the dread over Putin doing some more Anschluss...

It's just not healthy at all.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

In case anyone missed it, I was thrown a bone in this hell-world of news by the announcement of the new coalition government that they're gonna legalize weed.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-likely-future-government-supports-cannabis-legalization/a-59870689

Once this actually happens, I'm gonna celebrate by smoking up a whole bunch to balance all the poo poo-news in the world.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Speaking of the new variant, they yesterday temporarily quarantined two KLM flights from South Africa (after RSA was declared a "virus variant region"), let the passengers sit on the plane for four hours before deplaning and PCR-testing them.
All passengers on the flights had been previously cleared as "3G" (our classification/admission system, think of it as Roni-DEFCON, 3G means your either vaxxed, recovered or tested, 2G means only vaxxed or recovered folks are admitted, recovered folks need to get vaxxed after 3 (?) months to not lose their "status").

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/neue-corona-variante-ist-omikron-schon-in-deutschland-a-fd549e3f-22e9-467b-9704-6e9b3a69152b (sorry for the German link, should translate decently via Chrome/Google)

61 out of 600 passengers were tested positive for Covid. Authorities are still pointing out that the viruses from the infected folks haven't been sequenced yet, so there's no confirmation that it's all Omicron (like the news are masturbating over), or that any of the cases are Omicron, but my optimism has taken a serious shellacking over the last two years, and I feel like it's almost certain that the variant is now on the move in pretty much every country on the planet that had travellers return from RSA in the past month.

Gonna try to stay positive and believe in the possibility that this variant and its edginess may be the thing to actually convince our government to stop pussyfooting around vaccine mandates and serious measures.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

No point in staying positive or hoping for the best when the past two years have delivered nothing but news wildly past our worst expectations. I fully expect this new COVID variant to ravage the planet, again, because people would literally rather die choking to death on their own fluids than wear a mask or get a free shot.

I mean, I get the sentiment, and I've had my very own crack-ping moment not even two weeks ago regarding global news, but I've gotten this weird boost of optimism from the fact that this new development is so extraordinarily scary that it may just push our government over the edge and brute-force this poo poo now. Our election year is over (ironically enough, the loving election year and the fact that any party in contention wouldn't touch anticipatory containment measures is what got us here), and now they're back to not giving a poo poo for the next couple of years.

I mean, they've literally agreed to legalize weed despite ~~~conservative values voters~~~ in this dumb country, might as well push through the vaccine mandate and draconic containment measures.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Modern democracy just can't handle viral pandemics imo. Everyone is too atomized, you can't reach everyone with information. You can't make people get vaccinated. Not every person on Earth can have their government afford vaccination in a market-based, closed IP system. And capitalism likes fostering far right movements and parties that will inherently agitate against any mass action, even ones that don't impede capital, like masks, let alone making meaningful shut downs impossible.

Yes, you absolutely can.

That's what bugs me quite a bit about our current situation. Our politicians decided that everyone would eventually get vaccinated on their own, because it's the right choice, and felt like pushing a mandate would be overly authoritarian or whatever. They decided this during a time where the world had experienced upwards of four years of fake news and social media contrarian bullshit having gone into overdrive, and then realized their messaging was absolute rear end, but it was an election year, so ~naturally~ they couldn't force a mandate.

I'm well aware that a vaccine mandate wouldn't have prevented a scenario like this, but it would have saved countless lives, and prevented the impact covid has had on us this year.
Despite the early reports and media circlejerking, I'm fully assuming that vaccines won't be completely useless against the Omicron variant, and if we'd had a population sufficiently vaccinated, we'd probably be in a less lovely situation.

If you look at the loving miracle of modern science that mRNA vaccines are, we're all but guaranteed to be able to deal even with the new variant, but sure enough, we sat on our asses for the longest while, and now we're gonna have to eat another poo poo sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Let's be real, if the variant was sequenced in RSA roughly two weeks ago, that means it's been running around there for something around a month or two minimum before.

Trying to contain it to the continent would therefore have been futile way before it even got identified.

It's more about "how do we deal with it" at this point (again), not so much about "how do we contain the spread".

It's gonna shove Delta off the throne like delta did with the British variant and like the British variant did with whichever milquetoast variant that came before it