Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Best Friends posted:

I'm eager to find out if the machine Dem wins, which means centrism is the way forward, or if he loses, which means the progressives have gone too far

Yeah, it's all that Princess Blanding's fault that we didn't win/lose by more! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

it appears that running a false flag Unite the Right rally didn't help

The Lincoln Project just wants an authoritarian conservative autocrat in power that they aren't *embarrassed* by. One that can explain why a lawful protest had to be put down with lethal force with that "well, y'know...aw shucks" delivery The Gipper used to cut from whole cloth.

The only good news? The VA Supreme Court is still (barely) blue, and that won't change under Youngkin as he'll only be able to replace Justices appointed by Gilmore and McDonnell.

It also certainly didn't help that 1) McAuliffe's "anointment" by the VA DNC to his candidacy made a lot of Virginians angry, and 2) he ran a loving TERRIBLE campaign that was just a re-run of Hillary's 2016 strategy. His campaign ads for ~80% of the campaign were *other people* talking about him, whereas Youngkin's face was ALL OVER his ads, which undoubtedly won the "he seems like such a nice man" old-as-gently caress crowd over.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 3, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

McAuliffe was unimpressive the first time around and I have no idea why they decided to run his dumb rear end a second time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T575Pbo4eWM

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah I don't know a thing about what McAuliffe was campaigning for. He was just kinda there.

Virginia governors follow a very predictable pattern. They promise a ton of "I'll put Coke machines in the cafeteria"-grade poo poo they're going to get started with on ON DAY ONE, then :circlefap: for a while until saying that their initiative to put said Coke machines in the cafeteria will take exactly four years.

The VA Statehouse is almost definitely going to flip, too - 51R/49D is an *optimistic* outcome at the moment.

NPR has the best stat breakdown I've seen: https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/1049026183/virginia-governor-election-mcauliffe-youngkin

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455728348907323392

GOP only has to win two of the remaining four for 51R/49D. Of the remaining races, three will *probably* remain democratic, but HD21 is solidly in VA Beach/Chesapeake which broke *hard* for Youngkin. That'd leave a 50/50 statehouse.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 3, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455734418350514177

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It also didn't help that both candidates fell over each other to fellate whatever cops/sheriffs would support them in campaign ads.

"I LOVE COPS!" :swoon:

"NO, I LOVE COPS MORE! BUT MY COPS ARE THE RIGHT *KIND* OF COPS!" :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Or as I heard someone else put it one time, I forget where, "I'm glad that I live in a country where I can be as well armed as those who wish to do me and mine harm."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VA Statehouse is going to be 52R/48D. Life is poo poo. Eat Arby's.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Every time but once in the past 30 years, the president’s party gets trounced next election.

It’s not a “lol, nothing matters,” take but more that a lot of mediocre writers and news click seekers will try to spin an exciting narrative out of an outcome that is in line with historic norms. Plus politicians doing the spiderman meme.

Virginia's going to become a :troll: state. Every single shitbag legislation that can be passed to ~own the Libs~ will be submitted and passed 52/48 (the state senate is still 21D/18+1R - at least until 2023), and everyone outside of VA will focus on the superficial and sensationalist poo poo that doesn't affect them while what little progressive initiatives have been passed in this state will be bulldozed and paved over with landmines.

"Good," someone naive might say, "it'll give the rest of the country an example of why they shouldn't vote for Trump again!"

"lol," said the cynic. "lmao."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 3, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Like the tweet I sent earlier, the median American voter is a psychopath with the memory of a goldfish and a submissive kink, so they want BIG TOUGH STRONG DOMINANT PEOPLE.

The American electorate has been beaten down by the new never-ending campaign season. It used to be that you got a year's reprieve after elections, but that's not the case anymore. Party politics has been so heavily incorporated into every facet of American society that we've been irreparably tribalized. Both sides just want a break, but all they can process thanks to the widescale brainwashing is "the world would be so much better and QUIETER if the people who didn't agree with me just ~went away~."

And that's terrifying.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I mean, we can't even agree as a country about an *underage kid* open-carrying an AR-15 in the middle of an already highly-charged environment was a criminal act and served to escalate the situation to the point where people were maimed/killed. You can put out fires and "be a medic" without having an AR slung, and if you think you need it for "self-defense" then maybe you shouldn't be putting yourself in a likely injurious situation in the first place if it's not your job.

I remember a time when even the most hardcore Second Amendment supporters would've been "I just know they're gonna use it as an excuse to take my guns, but that kid had no business being there and being armed." But now, because stanning the kid ~triggers the libs~, it's *a thing*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

How the hell are we supposed to rehabilitate these cultists?

You can't - outside of doing what Def said in inundating them with more self-enriching pursuits to focus on. The QAnon poo poo is a net made out of fish hooks. Someone gets caught on the periphery, and any attempt they make to free themselves just gets them entangled in said net all the worse. The only way out is when they turn on each other, because any attempt to break them up from the outside just feeds into their martyr and persecution complexes.

It's a self-perpetuating conspiracy culture. The fact that there are so many of them make them feel like even if they're wrong, they're still a member of a ~community~. It's the same with the flat earthers. Their families and friends reject them because they try to ~convert~ them, so all they eventually have left are their fellow believers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 5, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It's the intersection of "has people who tell him everything he wants to hear" and "traumatic brain injuries"

Don't forget that to a lot of pro athletes, doctors are The Enemy and they're all out to bench you so they can bet against your team. Also I heard the COVID vaccine totally makes you weak and foggy-headed and poo poo. Some guy in the locker room said he heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy whom it happened to.

Except the doctors that give them opiates, cortisone injections, and clear them for play when they're hurt. Those dudes are ~bros~, bruh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm becoming progressively more convinced that simply the word "blockchain" is a real-life SCP memetic cognitohazard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Best Friends posted:

I am not really following the rules or standards. Am I, a healthy guy who does not work with the public, allowed to get the booster? Is it still restricted to people with special needs or risk factors, or is that by state?

There are so few people getting boosters that you're doing your community a disservice by letting it go unused. I live in the biggest county by population in Virginia and the vaccination clinic set up in the Government Center, a building colloquially known as the "Taj Mahal," was operating at ~5% capacity in mid-October.

Ponder it that way to soothe your conscience.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Madurai posted:

...has Q been a bird this whole time?

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/wise-shitashi/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay how much does the Embassy in DC give you a month?

Yeah, seriously. Is there some kind of website where you can register an account and every time you defend Glorious Zhōngguó you get paid? Because I can lie online for money. Scruples are overrated, really.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

EDIT: LOL perfect timing

:golfclap:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arc Light posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/capitol-rioter-asylum-belarus/2021/11/08/fbc4eb14-4093-11ec-9404-50a28a88b9cd_story.html

Didn't commit a crime. He just likes to sneak into Belarus on foot while evading Ukrainian border guards.

Hey, be respectful. This guy will be the future US Ambassador to Belarus. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Saw the Dune movie in theaters. Worth the cost, would pay it again. Understandable why they skipped a ton of the world building that was in the book. Would have been even longer if they put it all in, though there were enough two-second nod and wink scenes/background pieces/choices of phrasing there for people that already knew those details to show it was not forgotten, just passed over.

There was a graphic novel (Dune: House Atreides) that preceded the movie.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

stackofflapjacks posted:

Sorry, in case I want to take a trip down memory lane, what movie is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day:_Resurgence

The worst thing about this movie is that it teases what would've been a badass movie inside it. One of the city-killer ships *landed* in Africa and the continent went to war with the aliens and *won*. But we never get to see *any* of that awesome :black101: poo poo.

It also has Sela Ward, a timelessly beautiful woman, playing a horrendously inept Generic Female President, and every other character is a loving parody. Watch it to see Brent Spiner be given free reign to be himself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I kinda wonder (not wishing harm on anyone) what the consequences would have been if several GOP senators had perished at the hands of the mob. I assume the survivors would still refuse to allow it to be investigated.

Steve Scalise.

A Bad Poster posted:

Being on the Presidential Secret Service detail involves a certain level of "I wish a mother fucker would" I bet. The P90 exists for a reason, after all.

Depending on your :ohdear: or :black101: level of sentimentality, I can think of no worse/better small caliber round to utilize in a "throng of people in a hallway" situation than 5.7x28mm, especially the "special sauce" version the Secret Service gets. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 9, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is there something special about the P90? I know nothing

5.7x28mm is effectively a rifle caliber (and velocity) round out of a pistol caliber-sized bullet. As MTC implied, the duty/military version of the 5.7mm bullet/cartridge was designed to defeat body armor - even the more commonly available civilian versions of 5.7mm FMJ do pretty well against body armor at closer ranges simply due to the muzzle velocity. The 5.7x28mm and P90/Five-Seven were designed to be lightweight arms given to NATO REMFs in a European war scenario because standard small calibers had little to no chance of defeating Soviet body armor. Even with the velocities the SS190 puts out, it's a very light recoil, and out of the P90 is almost completely nullified. This means you can put a LOT of rounds on target, and the P90's magazine holds 50 rounds.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They should have turned congress into a boot camp CS chamber on 1/6, but then the crimes wouldn't have been quite as visible on camera.

Think bigger. BZ would've been WAY more fun.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterproposal: 10 episode HBO miniseries on the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

That reminds me that I haven't heard anything about The Mighty Eighth in a while.

Or sorry, Masters of the Air: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Air

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Abongination posted:

I remember the first previews coming out and it looked absolutely terrible. Not surprised it's been caught up since then.

I think those "previews" were outed as fakes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

They're men really in to Star Wars so statistically they're probably awful based on demographic trends

The Plunkett episodes included that character torturing and killing young women in his crawl space with bug foggers as a comedic element, just to remind everyone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My predictions:

First-Degree Reckless Homicide, Use of a Dangerous Weapon: Not Guilty
First-Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety, Use of a Dangerous Weapon (both counts): Guilty (he might skate on the Grosskreutz one, who knows)
First-Degree Intentional Homicide, Use of a Dangerous Weapon: Not Guilty
Attempted First-Degree Intentional Homicide, Use of a Dangerous Weapon: Not Guilty
Possession of a Dangerous Weapon by a Person Under 18: Guilty
Failure to Comply With an Emergency Order from State or Local Government: Guilty ($200 fine :jerkbag:)

Another prediction: "Failure to Comply" is going to be the title of this little poo poo's ghostwritten jailhouse memoir and recollection as he serves ~5-7y for 25+ years worth of crimes.

Going for first-degree murder/homicide charges was stupid. Second-degree would've had a better chance of sticking. I think the little poo poo should go to jail and even though I'm sure some part of him was HOPING them ~commie libtards~ would start some poo poo and he could go loud on a crowd side by side with the cops, I don't think he *intended* to. But he, an underaged male, with no permission nor certification, brought a deadly weapon into a charged environment, which escalated the situation. The cops held a line - he operated in front of that line under the auspices of "just trying to help." That's recklessly endangering safety.

He's going to walk on the murder and manslaughter, but he won't get out of that trial without jail time. Or, at least, I loving HOPE not, because if he does...that's probably it. There will be militia and wingnuts armed for war at every protest from here on out, fully booged out to the 88s. :sigh:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 10, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Rittenhouse went there to kill people and is only afraid of consequences. He will have none and one day take an elected office is my prediction

He's way more valuable as a sacrificial felon who does a modicum of jail time, loses his right to vote, then makes a living telling others how to vote for the interests of his benefactors by proxy at rally after convention after speaking engagement.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

This judge needs to get hosed.

He's very clearly enjoying the media attention, so that's probably the ONLY reason he won't go for a mistrial. It'll mean less time on camera.

Honestly, the trial should've never been televised. Allow press and the public to observe, but it's now a spectacle. I mean, 2A groups are doing *viewing parties*, for gently caress's sake.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

The system is built to protect people like him.

Aside from the awful footage of him killing two people and maiming a third, the visual I cannot get out of my mind, no matter what, is him returning to the police line after shots had rang out, with his hands up, and the cops doing *nothing*.

It's *beyond* white privilege. He should've been ordered to the ground and disarmed as a matter of course, seeing as shots had been fired, his weapon cleared and inspected for evidence of having been recently fired, and when it was found out to be the case, confiscated for investigation and Rittenhouse himself *detained* for questioning.

None of that happened. The cops actually told him to get the gently caress out of their way and pepper sprayed him because they thought the active shooter was somewhere else.

It's infuriating. :10bux: says if he hadn't turned himself in he'd have avoided ALL of this poo poo even *AFTER* the internet detectives pieced it together after-the-fact.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 12, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The amount of people who open carry around where I live is loving laughable to me. Five years in Memphis and I never once felt compelled to carry a gun at all. The people out here in the loving country are so afraid of their own shadows.

When I took my CCW course here in VA I thankfully had a good teacher who didn't do the bare minimum required by law. There wasn't anything close to "you're a good guy with a gun" or "you are a wolf amongst sheep" bullshit rhetoric, just common sense practical instruction. We even did drawing drills with blue guns and snap caps to demonstrate that even in a sterile classroom environment, the situation never favors someone whose weapon is still holstered. The thing he drilled into all of us is that even with a valid CCW that pulling your weapon should *never* be your first option, and actually using it should always be a last resort, if only for the legal and procedural headaches that always result even from clean and justifiable shootings. The class started with 15 and ended with eight because the seven who hosed off wanted a rubber stamp instructor.

I still never socialized with any of the rest of my class past what was necessary because I could sense that a good *half* of them heard that and thought something to the tune of ":rolleyes: :jerkbag: :v:."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Walk away. Avoid the fight. You win every fight you avoid.

I can't help but feel that some people who carry see their weapon as a lottery ticket in some batshit nonexistent "Good Guy With a Gun" raffle. ~One fateful day~, they'll be called upon to ~do their duty~ and afterwards they'll be hailed as a NATIONAL HERO and be showered with praise, adulation, and of course, tons of money and free guns from the firearms industry, and never have to buy another drink so long as they live and drink at the "right kind of bar" with the "right kind of people."

I mean, you hear it all the time from blowhards. "Things woulda gone different if I'DA been there I'll tell'ya whut!" :clint:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

He really seems to enjoy his 15 minutes of fame.

To be fair, that's one reason he'll never let a motion for a mistrial go through. It'd cost him camera time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

Don't think I saw this posted but saw it today at work: Scientists reversed paralysis in mice after severe spinal cord injuries.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/11/211111153635.htm

:science: your spinal cord.

On the one hand, yay!

On the other? I can't be the only one thinking about Upgrade right now. :ohdear:

-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2jGpEWNYNc

Annnnd there it is.

My guess? He'll get sentenced to five years total, and only do nine months, just like some other "unappreciated martyr" who went on to do absolutely nothing awful whatsoever so long as you ignore the entirety of the 1930s and 40s and resultant fascist subculture. :godwin:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 13, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

The problem is that classic fascism, like a disease that got blasted with tons and tons of antibiotics, has mutated. Modern surviving strains don't really go in for the "bullet in the head of every and all political opposition as soon as I can do a coup" approach anymore. Like any good disease they've tempered the stuff that results in quick, showy deaths as that kills the host population too fast before they can solidify a foothold to circulate within and then the disease burns itself out.

The hatred and desire for murder of all their same targets is still there, and is still the end goal, it's just kept on the down-low for a bit longer to cement control. The immediate goals of fascist now are stuff like the judiciary and law enforcement apparatus so the law can give them license to do what they want while still being "legal" and leaving enough fig leafs that the people who are very, very purposefully ignorant of reality can still claim they "don't see what the big deal is you're just over reacting it's only a joke can't you take a joke haha look at you being super serious why so serious owned much lib?"

Jan 6 was a bit of a problem for the current strain infecting the US, they gave away the game. I don't expect more of that or big flashy government overthrowing type stuff. I don't expect us to get a single, shining moment we can point to where the takeover started and everyone had an obvious choice to make. It's just going to be a years long slide of a thousand paper cuts as more and more of the poo poo like gerrymandering and the destruction of the voting rights act gets implemented and everything gets more and more miserable and hate-filled.

I keep thinking of this scene (the latter half, at least) from Sum of all Fears: https://youtu.be/Jsafd3d49BA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What worries me is that Trump was right about one thing: Americans like winners.

Right now, countrywide, no matter where, there's only about a 5-10% delta between Red and Blue. In too many places, it's within the margin of error. I'm in Virginia, and we just lost a Gubernatorial race in large part because Northern Virginia became ~3% chuddier since Biden took office. Guess how much Youngkin won by.

One of John Oliver's most recent pieces had to do with the homeless, and he put a lot of focus on Austin, TX. And I remember one woman saying something to the effect of "every time I have to clean up human poo poo, my 'liberal' side dies a little bit more."

That's why social programs are getting eliminated at a record pace, and why there's so much renewed vilification of subsidies and social support. Why the minimum wage *can't* go up. Because the fascists need an Other that the liberals want gone, too. Something that'll capture that last 5-10% they need to silence progressivism for the next 50+ years. A *win*, and unfortunately, the best *kind* of win, the one that (at least initially) comes at the cost of a segment of society we demonstrably don't give a poo poo about. A segment of society that gives the vanishing middle class a sense of pride of being "above."

When democracy dies it won't be to the sound of jackboots, it'll be to the sound of rising property values, and people too blinded by the prospect of profit and societal ascension to realize they've already been dealt out of a fixed game they finally thought they'd be able to buy into.

But it won't end there. The problem with Others is that there's a finite supply so long as you don't manufacture more of them. But thanks to :capitalism: and the ever-rising cost of living, there'll always be new Others. People who "failed" America, people (and families) who "lost the game" and don't deserve their shot at the American Dream. I foresee a world where debtor's prisons are brought back (formally, not in the subtle way it's being done now) and made akin to concentration camps, where people (and families) will be sent to work off their debts, but will never reach that goal through sharecropper math. Of course, first it'll be the homeless (proof of concept), then minorities (probably starting with the Native Americans again as a trial case), then predominantly non-whites, and finally, the "enemies from within" who've always been "against the Party."

And here's where I'm going to lose the Neo-Maoists (again): this is why I'll never come over to your side. As much as you want to deny or explain it away, China is already doing this. They're providing the rest of the world with a blueprint on how to cow your population into complacency amidst atrocity even in the era of 24/7 news cycles where everyone has a 4K+ video camera in their pocket. A constant drumming into their brains of "be happy with what you have or we'll take it away from you." It makes you *not* question the government (or the massive corporate conglomerates doing their dirtiest work), to turn away when you should look and speak up. It encourages blind support of those in control in the hopes of earning social capital. It makes you work a job you hate for only enough money to subsist and never thrive. But hey, BE HAPPY because YOUR TRIBE is winning! Sound even vaguely familiar?

It's happening here, a cancerous tumor growing on the country's conscience, in the empathy centers of our brains. But it's not Stage IV yet. Stage III, maybe, but there's still a chance, however slight, to burn it out before it takes everything down.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk and I'll have a Dave's Double with Cheese, no tomato.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 14, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ASAPI posted:

The only thing I’m taking solace in right now is that things would be far, far worse with Trump in charge.

Yeah, but it's a solace that feels like a temporary stay of execution.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Loucks posted:

Big Headline is wrong. We aren’t going to see an end to democracy: it has been and gone, and we are ruled by oligarchs who maintain a thin veneer of democratic legitimacy to keep the people in line.

What's better, hanging by a string with the *faintest* of hopes or plunging to your death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

Who? Be specific. I don't think there's a single actual Biden fan in this entire subforum.

Even among those of us who voted for him.