Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Great title vyelkin

Bape Culture posted:

That’s a short rear end contract

Well he is only 5'10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

That list is missing Paul Robinson, who was quite good from what I remember

Just don't mention the back pass that broke him

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

His severance package must be loving huge.

There will be a no CL termination clause in it and otherwise would cost a fortune to terminate his recently signed ink-still-wet contract.

I don't believe any conversation is being had about sacking him and won't until I see the club release a statement that he's gone.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

"Once Joel Glazer approves"

Joel: "No"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sad for Ole. He obviously couldn't turn it around but sacking him isn't going to change anything.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah honestly I feel bad for the guy.

Realistically he shouldn't have ever been more than a caretaker to carry them towards the end of the season he took over. I don't think his mates in the punditry positions helped out much tbh.

But to give him credit, he overachieved based on his CV and did a good job of getting rid of the funk left by Mourniho. He was just clearly out of his depth and, like I said, should never have been more than a caretaker manager.

Mickolution posted:

Why not? Under Solskjaer United were heading for a midtable finish at best. They're 6 points off fourth and the teams above them are Arsenal, Wolves and West Ham. United's squad is better than any of those <snip>

It's more than that. I mean you're right, but the permanent appointment of him was a symptom of a deeper seated problem at the club: The Glazers, their "ambitions" and complete lack of any football knowledge/strategy across the club. Far more proven managers have passed through since SAF retired, none have done any better. You can argue silverware for LVG and Mourinho but LVG was unceremoniously sacked right after winning a trophy because no CL and Mou wiped out any of his achievements with the absolutely miserable atmosphere he brought with him, no doubt worsened by having to deal with the poo poo show above him.

There's clearly no ambition other than "get top 4 every season", made obvious by the fact that to improve on Ole's prior season performances and league finishes, we need a manager that's going to be able to go toe to toe with Tuchel, Klopp, and Pep and that's not even considering European competition.

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves as well. Whatever Ole's shortcomings, I put the blame for Maguire's braindead shambling around the pitch squarely on his shoulders like his huge fuckin head. Failure to bring in quality cover for Wan Bisaka has been brutally exposed this season and anyone in charge of long term planning (lol) and transfers should have been sacked for starting yet another season with McFred in midfield, backed up by none other than the aging and ever slowing bones of Matic. If you look at the other teams in the league that use a midfield 2 or 3, ours is easily a bottom half midfield.

Ole's legacy should be looked back on as the biggest new manager bounce in history and I doubt very much lightning will strike twice in that regard whomever comes in next.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 21, 2021

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

I mean he had van de beek just sitting around doing jack poo poo for the best part of 18 months while mcfred hopelessly flailed around together. he could have, you know... actually given him a chance to play

Oh noted deep lying playmaker/defensive midfielder Donny Van de Beek?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Appointing a temporary coach while you look for an interim manager before hiring a permanent manager over the summer is amazing. Wasn't ole an interim manager originally?

Yes and was appointed permanently after a new manager bounce akin to someone hurling a dense rubber ball at the surface of the moon and that in turn meaning Ed "Edward" Woodwardwardward didn't have to think too hard about a long term strategy or real appointment.

Everything about United is just fluff and "remember the SAF years? Busby Babes? phwoar" now.

To the point I'd be half tempted to bet they bring Sheringham in as the next guy. Since he got the equalizer.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Transfer window for managers

Yes.

That said, Ole helped make the rope that hung him. You can't try and switch to controlled possession based football when your heart of midfield is still McFred. He tried to make an evolution without the transfers needed for it. It was a weird blind spot especially when it seemed to persist to the City match. He had a template for beating Pep and he tossed it out the window.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Pogba is almost certainly gone at the end of the year, if not before.

It's somewhat annoying, as I'm pretty sure his style will absolutely suit Spanish football and he'll look like a golden god spraying 60-yard passes around against Grenada, but he gets crowded out of PL games far too often to justify an annual contract argument with Raiola.

It's hardly surprising, in absolutely no team has Pogba been a cornerstone of a midfield where he controls and dictates a game or provides any steel. He's a luxury third in a 3 man mid. It's no coincidence his best work at United has been out on the left side when Rashford was out.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

EC10 posted:

maguire is poo poo and anyone who says otherwise is probably his gran's alt account. you could go to la liga or serie A and find ten better central defenders that no one's ever heard of who don't have the turning speed of an aircraft carrier

pogba on the other hand is clearly a baller who just gets played out of position. he absolutely can't hold the ball in midfield to the standard of the premier league. he might suffer from being as tall as he is, i reckon if he was shorter he'd be a winger or an inside forward

"just gets played out of position" is bollocks. He's a luxury third in a three man midfield so long as the other two can carry the water for him.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Considering the headlines footballers keep causing don't forget Jizz Horncamp

Also if Pogba's performances are all the fault of the manager and players around him then explain Bruno.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal have a ton of really awful transfers, but none of them involved crazy money and therefore rise to the worst transfer ever level. Honestly if you involved the kids that they spent less than a million pounds on that never amounted to anything there could be 50+ bad transfers in the last decade.

They did if you include the ridiculous wages a bunch of Arsenal's cruft were on to be on the fringes of the starting 11.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Also Bruno has been poo poo this year as well

lmao

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Apart from trying to play like a second striker all the time instead of linking play in midfield he's been fine and involved in/starting anything good we've managed to do. Singling Bruno out as "poo poo this year" in a team that's been starving the attack of any supply/stability (while trying and failing hilariously at possession football in midfield with McFred) is loving baffling.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Agreed same for pogba

Is this a bit

"let him right" ffs carra

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

vyelkin posted:

lol this has to be a bit

:ughh:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I vaguely recall Pogba having a good tournament in 2018 but since when has international football been a solid barometer of top level player quality?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm doing all the lols imagining Rangnick explaining the gegenpress to Ronaldo and expecting him to do it.

More excited about the 2 year consultancy. Having an actual football brain informing decisions is bizarrely sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I remember when he looked like the new Beckenbauer at Blackburn. Such a shame

Feels like that's the risk you take when a player breaks through as young as Jones did, it was the constant injuries that's done him in.