Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Yay! I finally got a school shooting in my town! Was wondering when we'd be the lucky ones.

It's a nightmare around here. Local Facebook forum blowing up and of course the town is Red so there's lots of "We need more guns, not less guns. If the teachers had been armed this never would have happened."

I quit getting drunk 6 months ago and this poo poo made me consider a trip to the liquor store. Luckily I don't have kids, I can't imagine the terror.

Edit - What a fuckin horrible page snipe here's my dog who's not allowed on the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Much like every other time US conservatives claim to be mad about something, they're not really talking about "elites" when they say "elites".

I'm aware of this dog whistle, but gently caress me I can't believe vague anti-semetism is still this politically effective in 2021

Like for gently caress sakes, we really can't do any better

Medullah posted:

Yay! I finally got a school shooting in my town! Was wondering when we'd be the lucky ones.

It's a nightmare around here. Local Facebook forum blowing up and of course the town is Red so there's lots of "We need more guns, not less guns. If the teachers had been armed this never would have happened."

I quit getting drunk 6 months ago and this poo poo made me consider a trip to the liquor store. Luckily I don't have kids, I can't imagine the terror.

Edit - What a fuckin horrible page snipe here's my dog who's not allowed on the couch.

)

I grew up in Lake Orion so I know a lot people from Oxford, hell my grandmother lived off Drahner road.

Doesn't surprise me at all the Lake Orion/ Oxford zone is Trump Red hell. Bunch of WASP suburbanites who pretend to be rednecks.

Of course Northern Oakland County's response To gun violence is MOAR GUNS! loving hell

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 1, 2021

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Republicans use it to evoke a social class, not an economic class

Like there's lots of obvious overlap but they don't mean the same thing a Sanders would mean
yeah it's a coded play towards the chud insecurity:
"ELITES" are "people who think they're better than you"
see, trump might have millions of mob money and live in fancy penthouses and never talk to anyone who isn't a millionaire, but if you guys just sat at a bar together you'd get along GREAT!
unlike obummer who has millions of dollars and lives in a fancy penthouse and never talks to anyone who isn't a millionaire because he thinks he's better than you!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sax Mortar posted:

2? Where are you getting your data from (legitimate question)? I'm only finding sources that still list:

Alaska
Delaware
Maine
Massachusetts
Montana
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Vermont

I know MA the best, living there. The Chancellor of the Medical school is at $1.1 million per year, and I know for a fact that both the men's football and men's basketball coaches are less than a million per year. Also relevant in MA, the hockey coach is less than a million.

I just googled each state individually and saw that URI and UVM both have basketball coaches as their top now. The rest listed other people.

It was from 2020 data by USA Today.

But, it looks like they accidentally included private schools:

quote:

Correction: In a previous version of this story, athletic coaches at private colleges and universities were included in error. Their names have been removed and replaced by the public sector employees.

There is also some quibbling about "total compensation" vs. salary.

In Mass, it is very close on salary alone, but they don't list anyone as making $1.1 million:

quote:

• Highest paid public employee: Michael Green; University of Massachusetts Department of Molecular, Cell and Cancer Biology chair

• Annual salary: $721,383

• 2nd highest paid public employee: Matthew Mccall; University of Massachusetts System head basketball coach

• Annual salary: $717,385

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/09/23/these-are-the-highest-paid-public-employees-in-every-state/114091534/

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

I feel like Oz’s position of “While elites with yards tell those without yards…” isn’t getting made fun of enough. Yards are divisive now?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

follow that camel!! posted:

I feel like Oz’s position of “While elites with yards tell those without yards…” isn’t getting made fun of enough. Yards are divisive now?

Has been since White Flight.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"owning" things is going to be an elite activity soon enough

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

I'd say Fetterman if it was actually about like, Martha's Vineyard style elitism and not just a stand-in for ingroup/outgroup things

Fetterman running an ad that’s just the picture of Bill and Hill at Don and Melania’s wedding, with his voiceover:

“Can you tell me who the elites are in this picture? Seems like everybody in it. I’ve never been to one of these weddings”

[fade into the picture of Ghislaine at Chelsea’s wedding]

“They seem nice, right? All the time with sex traffickers and rich folks you could ever want, and an open bar”

[fade into video of Trump and Epstein chatting at a party]

“And almost never any consequences for them. Never had to scramble to make rent, never had to put water in milk to stretch it. But they’ll tell you they want to look out for you, but who’s at their parties? Never us. And when’s the last time one of them came to your wedding, your kids graduation? Never in a million years.”

That’d be the Reagan-Mondale map again, but he would be assassinated the day the first ad aired.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In Mass, it is very close on salary alone, but they don't list anyone as making $1.1 million:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/09/23/these-are-the-highest-paid-public-employees-in-every-state/114091534/

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/01/19/massachusetts-state-employees-payroll-umass/

quote:

BOSTON (CBS) — The highest-paid state employees work in the University of Massachusetts system.

The chancellor of UMass Medical School, Michael Collins, made more than $1.1 million last year, according to state employee data. The medical school’s executive deputy chancellor, Terence Flotte, also made more than $1 million.

The head coach of the UMass Amherst men’s basketball team, Matthew McCall, was third on the list with an annual salary of about $850,000. The highest-paid non-UMass employee was Chief Medical Examiner Mindy Hull. She came in 31st on the list, making just over $395,000 a year.

Your article also looks to be wrong for last year, going by: https://www.openthebooks.com/massachusetts-state-employees/

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

InsertPotPun posted:

"owning" things is going to be an elite activity soon enough
I mean, with inflation being what it is and wages being what they are, yeah.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Okay, so that means it actually didn't get worse then in terms of states with the highest paid employees being coaches.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

follow that camel!! posted:

Next he’s going to ask how many staircases the Washington elite have.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The USA Today article says it is sourced from Openthebooks.com, so I have no idea how they got a ~$400,000 difference in the top paid employees.

quote:

24/7 Wall St. reviewed state, local, and federal employee salary information to determine the three highest paid public employees in each state. Data for government and public university employees compiled by OpenTheBooks.com, an independent government watchdog organization, and Feds Data Center, a website that compiles data of federal employee salaries. Salaries for coaches came from USA Today. Employees were ranked on their salary from 2019, and may not necessarily still hold the job in which they are listed. In Hawaii, availability of 2019 data was limited, and as a result, only two public employees are listed.

:shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure why this took them 24 hours, but good

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1465822557106577408?s=20

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

selec posted:

Fetterman running an ad that’s just the picture of Bill and Hill at Don and Melania’s wedding, with his voiceover:

“Can you tell me who the elites are in this picture? Seems like everybody in it. I’ve never been to one of these weddings”

[fade into the picture of Ghislaine at Chelsea’s wedding]

“They seem nice, right? All the time with sex traffickers and rich folks you could ever want, and an open bar”

[fade into video of Trump and Epstein chatting at a party]

“And almost never any consequences for them. Never had to scramble to make rent, never had to put water in milk to stretch it. But they’ll tell you they want to look out for you, but who’s at their parties? Never us. And when’s the last time one of them came to your wedding, your kids graduation? Never in a million years.”

That’d be the Reagan-Mondale map again, but he would be assassinated the day the first ad aired.

We just had a primary in Ohio that tested how popular dems making GBS threads on other dems was. This is masturbatory nonsense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So long, rear end in a top hat! Any other Cuomos out there, or did we finally get all ‘em?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

7c Nickel posted:

We just had a primary in Ohio that tested how popular dems making GBS threads on other dems was. This is masturbatory nonsense.
Debate and Drumsticks › US Current Events November: This is masturbatory nonsense.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chris Cuomo is highly visible, probably wanted to run it past the lawyers before making the decision and then hand it off to PR to word the announcement carefully.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

7c Nickel posted:

You had a primary in Ohio showing how much of an impact dark money can have on an off-year primary actually. Turns out, it's enough to swing that primary.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

7c Nickel posted:

drat I guess there’s no way to confront our party being run by ghoulish weirdos and sex criminals.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TulliusCicero posted:

Wht the gently caress is the Nordstream 2 project?

Also, how is Ted Cruz able to put holds on anything? The GOP controls nothing in the Senate, unless there is some pants on head stupid power sharing agreement

Nordstream 2 is a natural gas pipeline that's being built from Russia to the EU to supplement the current Nordstream pipeline, because a lot of EU countries are really dependent on Russian natural gas, especially Germany. This has led to criticisms that their dependence has led to their failure to stand up to Russia.

As for Ted Cruz and the ambassadorships, most uncontroversal appointments are passed by whaats called unanimous consent. That pretty much means the person presiding over the senate says basically, "There's a proposal to make X ambassador to Y. Without objection, so ordered.'
If anyone objects, it has to go through the normal procedure, which can take a long time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

see, trump might have millions of mob money and live in fancy penthouses and never talk to anyone who isn't a millionaire, but if you guys just sat at a bar together you'd get along GREAT!
unlike obummer who has millions of dollars and lives in a fancy penthouse and never talks to anyone who isn't a millionaire because he thinks he's better than you!

I think Elite here means "rich person who wants to gently caress with your life for the worse" which is in fact true or many people in politics on both sides. Outsiders running on "I'm not an elite like them" even if it's obvious they will gently caress you is going to keep working as long as the options are this bad. Like, we've spent all day talking about how much Cuomo was protected and the reaction from party insiders. It's not a lie to call them the elite condescendingly, it's just weak from someone like Oz.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Majorian posted:

You had a primary in Ohio showing how much of an impact dark money can have on an off-year primary actually. Turns out, it's enough to swing that primary.

Nina Turner had the money advantage, more than twice over in fact.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Majorian posted:

:allears: Yep, this money is literally the only reason why Brown won by nearly 6 points. If it wasn't for that, Turner 100% would have won. Oh and ignore the polling, those were also influenced by dark money!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

7c Nickel posted:

Nina Turner had the money advantage, more than twice over in fact.

Kalit posted:

:allears: Yep, this money is literally the only reason why Brown won by nearly 6 points. If it wasn't for that, Turner 100% would have won. Oh and ignore the polling, those were also influenced by dark money!

I noticed that you didn't respond to me pointing out that Brown's campaign was buoyed by dark money. Did you mean to ignore that point? Or does it just not bother either of you? Because it definitely seems like a not-great commentary on Democratic primaries.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The USA Today article says it is sourced from Openthebooks.com, so I have no idea how they got a ~$400,000 difference in the top paid employees.

:shrug:

USA Today's fact checking appears to be poo poo. As you pointed out, they couldn't even be assed to confirm if the people on their list were actually public employees or not.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalit posted:

I still don’t get what any of this has to do with converting the image of the Dems to a working class party by embracing widespread anti-elitism. I mean for gently caress’s sake at least stop rubbing our noses in it by wheeling out Bill Clinton now and again. We all know who he is and that he pretty much certainly raped kids and women his whole career, and yet I’m supposed to take a party seriously on women’s issues when the trash from Little Saint James washes up onstage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Majorian posted:

I noticed that you didn't respond to me pointing out that Brown's campaign was buoyed by dark money. Did you mean to ignore that point? Or does it just not bother either of you? Because it definitely seems like a not-great commentary on Democratic primaries.

Is Dark Money magic? Does it get +10% to mind controls spells? Nina Turner had more money and more control over how that money got spent. If people didn't like the fact that she compared Biden to a bowl of poo poo, it wasn't because she was outspent.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

It's also what selec says, where an "elite" is says "no" to something you want on account of "knowing better than you." Obviously that can apply both to sane people buzzkilling dumb demands and huffy pseudointellectuals making excuses for why screwing your is rational and necessary. But either way, "elite" is about feels when someone acts like you're the dumb one.

In a world of increasingly specialized knowledge where everyone's dumb about at least some important topics of governance, which is ALSO full of overeducated grifters, this duality is a big problem!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Majorian posted:

Wasn't the [hilarious] claim that dark money was enough to change the outcome of that primary the point of your post? Are you already walking that back?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Is Dark Money magic? Does it get +10% to mind controls spells?

No, it just isn't actually included in the campaign finance totals you're citing:

quote:

The fundraising by both campaigns doesn't include money funneling into the race from outside interest groups. The highest roller has been the Democratic Majority for Israel PAC, which put roughly $2 million toward ads supporting Brown and opposing Turner.

It's also very good at convincing older white voters that Turner is a virulent antisemite because she criticized Israel - decisive in a low-turnout off-year primary.

Kalit posted:

Wasn't the [hilarious] claim that dark money was enough to change the outcome of that primary the point of your post? Are you already walking that back?

Why would I walk it back? The evidence seems to be on my side: late in the race, millions of dollars suddenly poured into Brown's campaign from outside the district and oftentimes from outside of the country. She closed a large deficit in part because of that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

You know it's because Republicans wanted Brown, right? Like, you understand the implications of what happened when Buffalo liberals had an option between who they sided with? The state GOP assisted in getting Brown his win and are open about it. This was not a good thing for the health of the party.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Majorian posted:

No, it just isn't actually included in the campaign finance totals you're citing:

It's also very good at convincing older white voters that Turner is a virulent antisemite because she criticized Israel - decisive in a low-turnout off-year primary.

Why would I walk it back? The evidence seems to be on my side: late in the race, millions of dollars suddenly poured into Brown's campaign from outside the district and oftentimes from outside of the country. She closed a large deficit in part because of that.

Hey at least they elected someone who supports good policies that will definitely make everyone’s lives better right? Definitely not another centrist clone who’s here to HR manage the party into the minority again.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

To be fair this part isn't really wrong

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

It amazes me how well Republican millionares can play the "elite" card and not be called out. Just absolutely stunning really how terrible the general and academic literacy of the population in this country is.

:confused: Why would they do it any differently?

Their "opposition's" reconciliation bill is mostly comprised of tax cuts for richies labeled as "for the middle class."

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This thread makes me miserable. The Left is never going to to make decent headway if they pretend to exist in a world where everyone already agrees with them and only malign forces keep them from being ascendant.

:edit: I think about this particular article a lot.

https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/beautiful-losers

quote:

But when it comes to practical politics, melancholia is not always a helpful disposition. Conditioned by history to expect defeat—to see it as inevitable, the product of malevolent forces beyond our control—we welcome its arrival with something like relief. There is comfort in this sense of fated doom. We lost not because we did something wrong, but because we did something right in a world that’s wrong. When we acknowledge the awesome might and baleful intentions of our enemies, when we point our fingers at the traitors in our midst, what we seek is not a clear-eyed reckoning of the battlefield, but freedom from guilt for failing to win. Lurking behind our dour pessimism is, at times, a desire to evade accountability for our own mistakes.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 1, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

This thread makes me miserable. The Left is never going to to make decent headway if they pretend to exist in a world where everyone already agrees with them and only malign forces keep them from being ascendant.

Nobody is making that argument, though. People are pointing out to you, with receipts, how much those in power are arrayed against any sort of left-wing change to the status quo. I'm sorry that bums you out, but the left's not going to make any decent headway by refusing to acknowledge the facts.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

:edit: I think about this particular article a lot.

https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/beautiful-losers

That article is about seizing power and not accepting the idea that the left will always lose as some sort of comfort. The thread is discussing actual tactics used in a real campaign. I don't really get how that's accepting defeat.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Majorian posted:

This is a hell of a claim. Especially since Brown was steadily closing the gap since May and had pretty much caught up a full month before the election.

Maybe you should just be open to the possibility that residents of the 11th district liked Brown better. Especially since Turner still had raised more money than Brown even if you include the DMFI PAC money.

E: This

7c Nickel posted:

The Left is never going to to make decent headway if they pretend to exist in a world where everyone already agrees with them and only malign forces keep them from being ascendant.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Because you're doomed to failure if you refuse to engage with the world as it exists. We trot out "Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak." so often it has its own smiley, but we neglect the line after it "Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy."

This was started because selec had a stupid fantasy that a big tough traditionally masculine man could unite the country by making GBS threads on the dems. The truth is that most Democrats LIKE the Democrats.

Refusing to acknowledge this means you're going to lose and the only way that makes sense is if you don't mind losing because you're going to retreat to “the persecuted suffer because of their goodness”.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 1, 2021