Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Trazz posted:

This Thanksgiving, remember to cut all right-wingers out of your life

You don't gotta worry about holiday flights or gifts when you're no longer on speaking terms with half of your family

Right wing family members are for family reunions and 4th of July bbqs.

The holidays are stressful enough. They can celebrate with the other right wing psychos, and we can celebrate with other sane folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Relentless posted:

Right wing family members are for family reunions and 4th of July bbqs.
No, not even then

These people have all determined that white supremacy takes a higher priority than god, country, or family, do not reward them with your company

Also, the irony of spending the 4th of July with a bunch of abusive seditionists is too funny

Trazz fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 1, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

A big flaming stink posted:

On the other hand, this is an entire thread of some prime leopards eating faces stuff

https://twitter.com/BradGeyer/status/1454151406588469248?t=eYL6CazPuhFPqKTd0v7FdQ&s=19

I'm not sure if I got a bigger laugh from the part where he says all the guards are African immigrants who have been taught to hate America and beat them for singing the national anthem, or the part where he says THE GOVERNMENT HAS CANCELED ME and then describes how his imprisonment has cost him his business and his home. Because that's what canceling is.

These psychos can't even issue a cry for help against (supposed) prison brutality without pandering to their audience's need for political purity.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Kavros posted:

I think the texas abortion ban might have been designed intentionally to send to the supreme court, based on a strategy of purposefully including extremely horrible parts as sacrificial buffers.

If the abortion ban was just the 6 week/heartbeat thing, they would just have to up or down the process and the news would be "Supreme court allows/denies abortion ban"

Instead they can now ever so graiously strip off entire wads of the whole blatantly unconstitutional abortion bounty hunter / citizen deputizing bullshit, carving down the majority of the bill

... but, of course, leave the actual abortion ban in place in service of their demented ideology.

The reason why I think they're playing these games is because they're at least aware that they have to play it carefully with the legitimacy of the supreme court. Like, they know they can't just go all-in on the process of restructuring american law in service of a narrow right-wing dominant attitude.

The upcoming Mississippi case is likely a decision between SCOTUS allowing TRAP laws to gut Roe without technically overturning it, or outright overturning it, so the Texas case won't matter by next summer.

I'd guess they'll probably shoot down the Texas case, since it lets Roberts "preserve the image of the court", while also heading off any attempts by states like California to pass similar Calvinball laws allowing people to sue gun owners or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We're going to be negotiating this bill until the heat-death of the universe

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1455237655495598085?s=20

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1455235335957450761?s=20

Manchin is lying about 'deficit concerns' as well

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1455239658896510979?s=20

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Manchin continues to be bad and awful. Lmao at citing a lack of compromise after the bill has been stripped to the bone.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1455236876483403794
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1455238068076748800

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Manchin saying that Progressives aren’t compromising enough is good because, well, that’s what Progressives do. We have to violently drag people into this side of the 2000’s and not cater to this bumble-gently caress’s twisted idea of not supporting those that need it so that he can continue to get his yacht money in his poor-rear end state.

Any sort of inch given up allows them to take a mile from us.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Says that progressives aren't compromising enough"

That says it all right there.

The bill has been reduced from 6 trillion to 3.5 trillion to 1.75 trillion, but the progressives "aren't compromising enough". It's literally "Give me everything I want and nothing you want and we'll call it bipartisan, ask for anything and I walk away" with Manchin. I hope Pelosi brings the bipartisan bill up to vote and the progressive caucus just kills it at this point. I'm happy they held off on voting for it, because this is how Manchin is acting WHEN THEY HAVE A BILL HE WANTS PASSED. Imagine how he would be acting if the Bipartisan bill had been passed.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Deplatforming conservative speech shouldn't just happen on Twitter it should happen everywhere including some random pilot on a Southwest flight.

Generic criticism of elected officials (even coded) is hardly “conservative speech” or hate speech. Moving the goalposts on what those phrases mean undermines your ability to actually call them out - like applying the “Nazi” label to Romney undermined doing the same with Trump. More importantly, the end of that line of thinking results in: people critiquing DEAR LEADER are the ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Squeal louder, you little corporate toady.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If the BIF passes alone, BBB will never follow. We knew this the moment moderate democrats tried to decouple them, and Manchin's dustup & whine about them not being decoupled only reinforces that.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

Manchin saying that Progressives aren’t compromising enough is good because, well, that’s what Progressives do. We have to violently drag people into this side of the 2000’s and not cater to this bumble-gently caress’s twisted idea of not supporting those that need it so that he can continue to get his yacht money in his poor-rear end state.

Any sort of inch given up allows them to take a mile from us.

What are you talking about lol. The progressives have compromised repeatedly and they're almost certainly going to again

Neurolimal posted:

If the BIF passes alone, BBB will never follow. We knew this the moment moderate democrats tried to decouple them, and Manchin's dustup & whine about them not being decoupled only reinforces that.

Yeah that is and always was the whole point of splitting the bills. Any understanding of what's going on is incoherent without acknowledging this

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Generic criticism of elected officials (even coded) is hardly “conservative speech” or hate speech.

There is no such thing as "generic criticism" from a conservative, it's a grudge that's been brainwashed into them from a young age

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

He is transparent in his want to kill the BBB act. He wants the BIF bill passed so he can vote down reconciliation.

When he wants progressives to compromise, he means they need to discard all of their policy priorities. Compromise is "I get what I want and you get nothing" to Manchin.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Generic criticism of elected officials (even coded) is hardly “conservative speech” or hate speech. Moving the goalposts on what those phrases mean undermines your ability to actually call them out - like applying the “Nazi” label to Romney undermined doing the same with Trump. More importantly, the end of that line of thinking results in: people critiquing DEAR LEADER are the ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE.

Nobody here gives a poo poo that Biden is getting criticized. Somehow that seems to be missing from this discussion. "Why should we care if they say 'gently caress Joe Biden' if he sucks?" Nobody cares to defend Biden, that's not the thing at all. The thing is that anyone posting a "Let's Go Brandon" meme or whatever is saying "I am very right wing and very online" and you should react to those two facts about this person accordingly.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

like applying the “Nazi” label to Romney undermined doing the same with Trump.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
lol @ all the crowing that 1.2 + 1.8 trillion was this transformational amount of spending that was going to help so many people, biggest expansion of the safety net since the Great Society, etc

We're getting a trillion if we're lucky

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1455239413785632771

So apparently this was yet again him going on stage and doing a stupid dance for attention as they're already getting ready to discuss this with him.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I don't think we're getting a vote on the BBB until the CPC follows through on their threat to vote down the BIF bill. After that, we'll see if Manchin and Sinema become more willing to compromise.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

rscott posted:

lol @ all the crowing that 1.2 + 1.8 trillion was this transformational amount of spending that was going to help so many people, biggest expansion of the safety net since the Great Society, etc

We're getting a trillion if we're lucky

lol if was $1.2 Trillion a year maybe

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Trazz posted:

This Thanksgiving, remember to cut all right-wingers out of your life

You don't gotta worry about holiday flights or gifts when you're no longer on speaking terms with half of your family

I do not know how people square believing that half the country wants to commit a genocide and also the strongest action to take against them is not visiting for Thanksgiving.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gumball Gumption posted:

I do not know how people square believing that half the country wants to commit a genocide and also the strongest action to take against them is not visiting for Thanksgiving.

If you're not violently attacking your grandma you're not doing enough.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Checking the composition of the sample...

That leaves 327 voters who didn't specify an affiliation.

The survey has more Democratic-leaning voters, but also thinks the Democratic party is the greatest threat to democracy? The only way that makes sense is if the vast majority of "no specified affiliation" are hard right-wingers. I would just toss that survey into the trash where it belongs and not worry about it. EDIT 2: Fine, I see how it could be valid.

EDIT: The age breakdown of registered voters might be a clue:

18 to 29 - 16%
30 to 44 - 23%
45 to 59 - 27%
60 or older - 34%

61% of those polled are 45 or older.

:psyboom:

What the gently caress is in the water at the Denny's that gives the older people in this country severe brain damage?

"Let's see, one party wants to give me paid leave and healthcare, and the other wants to install a failed Gameshow Host as President in a violent coup..."

"CRAZY DANGEROUS LIBERALS!!" :byodood:

gently caress are people this goddamn stupid

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think I'd probably get modded if I said "throw a Molotov through your racist uncle's window," but social consequences are a start

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

What the gently caress is in the water at the Denny's that gives the older people in this country severe brain damage?
Un-ironically, they were all basically inhaling led for a good amount of their lives.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Look, why don't you put up or shut up? Not everyone can risk their jobs and homes just to go commit crimes against political enemies. Some of us have families to take care of, why is this such a foreign idea to you?

It's always folks like you that insist everyone else do the dirty work and risk everything.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Trazz posted:

I think I'd probably get modded if I said "throw a Molotov through your racist uncle's window," but social consequences are a start

I mean, do you actually think you should burn down the home of a racist relative in order to effect real change? I have a couple of more right-wing extended family members and I'm pretty sure if I went and burned their houses down it would not help either our personal relationship or effect any sort of political change.

Does the idea need to scale up to be effective? If 1,000 of us burned down the homes of our right-wing relatives would that start to make a difference?

e: I realize I am making an assumption here that when you said "throw a molotov through the window" you just want to burn down the racist uncle's home, and not that you should kill the racist uncle. If you meant actually kill your uncle then I apologize for assuming.

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 1, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

If you're not violently attacking your grandma you're not doing enough.

"Yeah we're pretty sure Grandma is falling in with a cult that wants her to kill all her liberal neighbors because of the nanobots in the vaccine so ya know, we're staying out of the neighborhood until it blows over. Hopefully the whole thing resolves itself before next year"

TulliusCicero posted:

"Let's see, one party wants to give me paid leave and healthcare, and the other wants to install a failed Gameshow Host as President in a violent coup..."

Leaded gas

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

"Let's see, one party wants to give me paid leave and healthcare

I don't think this is accurate considering they're in power and they're not giving it to you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TulliusCicero posted:

Partly leaded gas yeah, but I also want to know what the gently caress it is about the South, where freeways are lined with bright blue LED billboards saying Biden is a pedophile who stole the vote and gave Afghanistan away to Soros. In that environment you have to go out of your actual way to NOT be taught from every conceivable angle that the only good and right way to think is the Nazi way.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

How are u posted:

I mean, do you actually think you should burn down the home of a racist relative in order to effect real change? I have a couple of more right-wing extended family members and I'm pretty sure if I went and burned their houses down it would not help either our personal relationship or effect any sort of political change.

Does the idea need to scale up to be effective? If 1,000 of us burned down the homes of our right-wing relatives would that start to make a difference?

e: I realize I am making an assumption here that when you said "throw a molotov through the window" you just want to burn down the racist uncle's home, and not that you should kill the racist uncle. If you meant actually kill your uncle then I apologize for assuming.

What if we tried doing the whole "social consequences" thing and see if it works first?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Trazz posted:

What if we tried doing the whole "social consequences" thing and see if it works first?

I wholeheartedly agree, I think social consequences are worthwhile and important. I must have been confused, it seemed like you presented "throw a molotov through the window" as a more ideal and effective choice than social consequences, which you indicated were merely "a start". My bad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Partly leaded gas yeah, but I also want to know what the gently caress it is about the South, where freeways are lined with bright blue LED billboards saying Biden is a pedophile who stole the vote and gave Afghanistan away to Soros. In that environment you have to go out of your actual way to NOT be taught from every conceivable angle that the only good and right way to think is the Nazi way.

If you're going to have a lot of suffering people in your country it helps for them to be the most indoctrinated and the American South is where we put a lot of our suffering. That then has a compounding effect.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TulliusCicero posted:

Propaganda works. Always has.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Data Graham posted:

I live in the south and can't say I have ever seen even a single billboard saying anything like this.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Data Graham posted:

You answered your own question; the whole region assaults everyone who lives there with propaganda, socializing most of them towards being a Klansman and making those that resist uncomfortable enough to move. It’s a self-perpetuating engine of misery and ressentiment.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Means testing is a hell of a thing to be put through. Every time the democrats means test aid - whether by some arbitrary poverty cap based on 1950's economic data or one's desire or ability to have a child, they leave a struggling person behind. Every time the democrats leave struggling people behind, some nonzero portion of those people swear off the democrats.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lobster shirt posted:

I live in the south and can't say I have ever seen even a single billboard saying anything like this.

I mean, I'll show you the one I saw a couple weeks ago on I-4 between Tampa and Orlando, but I've seen others

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Lib and let die posted:

whether by some arbitrary poverty cap based on 1950's economic data or one's desire or ability to have a child

Is this calling out the child tax credit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Means testing is a hell of a thing to be put through. Every time the democrats means test aid - whether by some arbitrary poverty cap based on 1950's economic data or one's desire or ability to have a child, they leave a struggling person behind. Every time the democrats leave struggling people behind, some nonzero portion of those people swear off the democrats.

They'd rather a hundred people starve than a single person get a free meal they don't "deserve". It sucks!