Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lib and let die posted:

Means testing is a hell of a thing to be put through. Every time the democrats means test aid - whether by some arbitrary poverty cap based on 1950's economic data or one's desire or ability to have a child, they leave a struggling person behind. Every time the democrats leave struggling people behind, some nonzero portion of those people swear off the democrats.

That has little to nothing to do with whether voters think Dems are a threat to democracy.

Yes mean testing sucks and yes Dems suck but white surburbanites aren't talking about "STOP THE STEAL" because some program got means tested somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Thom12255 posted:

Is this calling out the child tax credit?

The poster has previously expressed frustration that the child tax credit doesn't do anything for them and their partner, who have no children. So yes I believe so.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thom12255 posted:

Since the money is for the children, how exactly are the children means tested?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How are u posted:

The poster has previously expressed frustration that the child tax credit doesn't do anything for them and their partner, who have no children. So yes I believe so.

Their hope is is they act enough like a child on the internet they will qualify for the child care tax credit.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

I can answer for myself, bud, but thanks.

Thom12255 posted:

Yes. I have not, and will continue to not be shy about my feeling that the child tax credit is not enough of a reparative measure for all Americans, simply based on the fact that it is a "child tax credit" and not a "tax credit for everyone."

Kirios posted:

Their hope is is they act enough like a child on the internet they will qualify for the child care tax credit.

My hope is that the democrats will do something to discharge the $40,000 worth of medical debt I took on during the pandemic.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kirios posted:

Boom headshot

I agree, poor people with no children should shut the gently caress up and be satisfied families that are better off than them are getting help even if they aren't getting any help themselves

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

Kirios posted:

The fact based and intelligent arguments you come to D&D for.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Coinciding with views that the south is all klansmen, and people too stupid to move.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

Since the money is for the children, how exactly are the children means tested?

Wait, that makes it sound like children are people who have needs distinct from those of their parents or something.

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

How are u posted:

Just FYI, someone directly asked you a question in the #metoo thread. You ever gonna get back to them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

How are u posted:

I wholeheartedly agree, I think social consequences are worthwhile and important. I must have been confused, it seemed like you presented "throw a molotov through the window" as a more ideal and effective choice than social consequences, which you indicated were merely "a start". My bad.

It would certainly be effective, but it would not be ideal. Like I said, though, let's start with severe social consequences first. Refuse to associate with any right-winger. Make it known that it is in fact because of their worldview. If anyone asks, say "I refuse to associate with someone whose worldview is nothing more than a cover for their bigotry and abusiveness, and you shouldn't either." Imagine millions of people doing this. A sort of "social strike." Better yet, be casual about it. Express it like it's a perfectly normal thing to say. Because it is.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

The fact based and intelligent arguments you come to D&D for.

Look I'm sorry but there's been so many bad faith arguments and extremist opinions of the Child Care Tax Credit here, something that has legitimately changed the lives of millions, that it's hard for me to take them seriously. Is it enough? No probably not. Is it right for you to use it to justify your holy crusade to show why America has failed so many people? No of course not.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kirios posted:

Look I'm sorry but there's been so many bad faith arguments and extremist opinions of the Child Care Tax Credit here, something that has legitimately changed the lives of millions, that it's hard for me to take them seriously. Is it enough? No probably not. Is it right for you to use it to justify your holy crusade to show why America has failed so many people? No of course not.

Do you have any data to suggest that it has legitimately changed the lives of millions, because I'd be curious to see it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kirios posted:

Child care tax credit extremists made me act like that.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lib and let die posted:

I can answer for myself, bud, but thanks.

Yes. I have not, and will continue to not be shy about my feeling that the child tax credit is not enough of a reparative measure for all Americans, simply based on the fact that it is a "child tax credit" and not a "tax credit for everyone."

My hope is that the democrats will do something to discharge the $40,000 worth of medical debt I took on during the pandemic.

I've been noticing that the "earnings above poverty line, crushed by debt, no children" demographic is not getting much help here. The BBB framework has a lot to help out poor families, between the child tax credit, EITC expansion, pre-school, and child care investment, but very little beyond them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I can honestly say for myself that the CTC has really helped my family and my peers in similar situations. I can also say that the same amount of money should go to everyone regardless of if they have kids or not.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

papa horny michael posted:

Coinciding with views that the south is all klansmen, and people too stupid to move.
Hey, here’s an idea: instead of starting this bad faith trolling on page three of the new thread, maybe don’t?

Not every mention of the dominant politics of the region needs some shitposter to stroll in with “there are poor people stuck there too, checkmate guess Dems are the real racists :smug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Personally as someone who doesn't have children I'm pretty okay with not getting the tax credit for having them

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

AmiYumi posted:

Hey, here’s an idea: instead of starting this bad faith trolling on page three of the new thread, maybe don’t?

Not every mention of the dominant politics of the region needs some shitposter to stroll in with “there are poor people stuck there too, checkmate guess Dems are the real racists :smug:

This. Let people blithely denigrate an entire section of the country because of its elected officials. This isn't hard.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Things are really tense here. So does anyone have odds on whether the Sunshine Protection Act will be up for a vote before I have to change my clocks and off myself due to SAD?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

AmiYumi posted:

Okay, really:

AmiYumi posted:

the whole region assaults everyone who lives there with propaganda, socializing most of them towards being a Klansman

Do you think that was actually a good post? Do you think that really was a positive contribution to this thread?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Isn't the system/website for non-filers still busted?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I think it is actually kinda important to address the fact that a good chunk of the population are literally being brainwashed into becoming virulent racists, and that it stems from leftover animosity from a particular region of the country that once seceded from the Union

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

AmiYumi posted:

I really don't appreciate your bad faith accusations of other posters being bad faith trolls.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Trazz posted:

I think it is actually kinda important to address the fact that a good chunk of the population are literally being brainwashed into becoming virulent racists, and that it stems from leftover animosity from a particular region of the country that once seceded from the Union

Racism isn't a regional thing and people didn't start being racist because of propaganda.

On the other hand, the original question was why a bunch of the country thinks Democrats are a threat to democracy, clearly referencing the 2020 election, and the answer to that IS social media/cable news echochambers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Are we even sure the billboard was in a Republican part of the state? I-4 from Orlando to Tampa it's going to depend.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

lol poor black people in the south really are just cudgels for liberals to drag out every 4 years against leftists, posts like this make it so very clear

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Student loan discharge won’t directly help the 87% of americans without student loans but the government should still do it.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Racism isn't a regional thing and people didn't start being racist because of propaganda.

On the other hand, the original question was why a bunch of the country thinks Democrats are a threat to democracy, clearly referencing the 2020 election, and the answer to that IS social media/cable news echochambers.

Both of those things come from the same source though: the neo-Confederate right-wing. The propaganda is definitely the strongest in the South, that's for sure

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

Student loan discharge won’t directly help the 87% of americans without student loans but the government should still do it.

100% of all non-business-related loans should be forgiven imo, just, absolutely gently caress the banks, every single one of them.

student loans? gone.

car loans? gone.

personal loans? gone.

mortgages? gone.

small business loans? government takes them over, small business tyrants now pay a tithe to the government

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RBA Starblade posted:

Personally as someone who doesn't have children I'm pretty okay with not getting the tax credit for having them

Kids are pretty fuckin' expensive, so by not having kids my partner and I are probably saving way more than 600 dollars a month in the long run. I still think more direct aid to people living in poverty should be a thing though, just so I'm clear. People should get tax credits for all kinds of poo poo because capitalism is a miserable failure and the more the government can give to everyone, the better. It's a lot harder to claw good things away the more people benefit from them.

Lib and let die posted:

100% of all non-business-related loans should be forgiven imo, just, absolutely gently caress the banks, every single one of them.

student loans? gone.

car loans? gone.

personal loans? gone.

mortgages? gone.

small business loans? government takes them over, small business tyrants now pay a tithe to the government

Debt jubilee and nationalize the banks imo.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 1, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trazz posted:

It would certainly be effective, but it would not be ideal. Like I said, though, let's start with severe social consequences first. Refuse to associate with any right-winger. Make it known that it is in fact because of their worldview. If anyone asks, say "I refuse to associate with someone whose worldview is nothing more than a cover for their bigotry and abusiveness, and you shouldn't either." Imagine millions of people doing this. A sort of "social strike." Better yet, be casual about it. Express it like it's a perfectly normal thing to say. Because it is.

Have you done this in your own life?

If so, can you describe the method's success & efficacy?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Trazz posted:

Both of those things come from the same source though: the neo-Confederate right-wing. The propaganda is definitely the strongest in the South, that's for sure

I've not seen much of this in the major cities in NC, however I went up to Cherokee reservation here and like the 2 miles leading up to the border of the reservation was the most concentrated of vile poo poo I've ever seen on billboards/signs it was just sad really.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Trazz posted:

It's also important to recognize that while the population of the south is disproportionately likely to be programmed as virulently racist, and while the population of the south is disproportionately likely to suffer from poverty, poor health, disfranchisement, and other forms of misery, the two don't actually describe exactly the same people. It's another replay of explaining school shootings as bulled kids pushing back when they're usually middle-class white boys that don't get singled out much.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The price of advertising on a billboard is proportional to the number of people who will potentially see it. I hope that also helps explain why billboards in the middle of no where are more likely to have insane things on them.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Do you think that was actually a good post? Do you think that really was a positive contribution to this thread?

Try again without cutting out half my post, like every CSPAM poster does every time for mysterious reasons

AmiYumi posted:

You answered your own question; the whole region assaults everyone who lives there with propaganda, socializing most of them towards being a Klansman and making those that resist uncomfortable enough to move. It’s a self-perpetuating engine of misery and ressentiment.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm still waiting to hear how children are means tested, thanks.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

AmiYumi posted:

like every CSPAM poster does every time

Is it every CSPAM poster? Every time?

Or is this lazy subforum clique posting because you can't just reply like a normal person?

Also does a CSPAM poster only post there or is because they posted there once or some of the time or what?

Don't do this poo poo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

the rare "gently caress you, got nothing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Willa Rogers posted:

Have you done this in your own life?

If so, can you describe the method's success & efficacy?

I reside in Texas and I enjoy being able to afford food, so I have some opinions about this whole thing.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The price of advertising on a billboard is proportional to the number of people who will potentially see it. I hope that also helps explain why billboards in the middle of no where are more likely to have insane things on them.

I saw some interesting ones driving through north Texas, should have stopped to photograph a couple.

edit: also yes please don't fight subforum clique wars here