Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to November in the US, its Turkey Month.

This space is going to be updated later, but for now this is replacing USNews, it remains largely focused on US News and Current Events discussion. It will be refreshed each month.

This thread is running in Slow Mode to help enable stronger discussion.
Some basic rules for now:
- Try to keep it on topic, if the topic is heavily detailed and/or debated, consider taking a look at D&D New Thread rules and making it its own thread. This will not be enforced unless its distracting from actual discussion
- Keep it civil. US politics suck, but we don't need to get down to name calling here.
- When you share tweets or news, link the full article being discussed if it isn't, and comment on what your found interesting about it. Be sure to consider your source and if they're worth listening to before posting.
- You are allowed to advertise any thread that is applicable to US Politics in this thread

We'll try to keep a running thread of current and previous events in this post.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

I will request politely, once, that you keep your words in your own mouth. I'm fully capable of speaking for my own motivations, and if I wanted your words in my mouth I'd slap them out of yours and scoop them up out of the dirt myself.

Could we not do this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Is there a Virginia election thread? I didn't see a specific one for it in D&D.

I can start one up or you can, but yeah that's gonna be a big conversation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Virginia Election Thread is live: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983727

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
St. Paul Minnesota just passed Rent Control last night

https://twitter.com/MNReformer/status/1455750594887618565?s=20

So another bit of good news among the shitshow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

It's going to be DeSantis, not Trump for 2024.

I thought tides were already turning against DeSantis?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

To be fair, an internet forum with the steep barrier to access of :10bux: probably isn't the best place to openly talk about direct action against the state.

(Which is why I think some posters like to try and specifically bait out specific talk of direct action when you point out that meaningful change likely isn't coming via elections)

Thank you for this post, and entirely accurate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Everybody who votes for a Republican is a Nazi, and everyone who votes for a Democrat is a sexual predator. Now that we've cleared that up, why don't we move on?

Yes, please do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is there a way that anti-DUI might be like lane keep assist? Or basically some alarm blaring at you to pull over if you're too erratic?

Drunks, famous for listening to warning systems. I don't think its a tech solution that'll resolve this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AmiYumi posted:

I’m sure these systems, if implemented*, won’t be as notoriously buggy as current systems that disable your car until you pay for expensive repairs only a single company can do. Nor will the cost of this nanny-state poo poo get passed right onto the consumer, with a hefty upcharge because they can, would the auto industry ever do such a thing??

Surely people stuck on the side of the road with cars that just glitched out and disabled themselves will be grateful to the Dems, pledging to vote for the party as they shell out hundreds of dollars to the one company with a monopoly on parts.

*they won’t be

Yeah this entire discussion is just Tech Nightmares, especially for me as someone in Cybersecurity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Every week is a new infrastructure week.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This judge is something else, how the hell is this allowable?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enigma89 posted:

I kinda wish we had a Rittenhouse trial thread but not wish it enough to make a high effort OP. :ohdear:

Eh, there's a couple Rittenhouse threads and they are not going well elsewhere in the forums.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm sure the judge is a chud but things like "you can't say someone is a victim without establishing legally whether they were victimized, which is this intent of this trial" are perfectly ordinary and in other circumstances we'd be outraged if it was allowed.

I don't have the link offhand but a Prosecutor and Defense attorney confirmed this is actually commonplace. Doesn't make it right, given our hellscape of a Justice System...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Everybody is an Alpha male until they become Beta males on the stand. Also I cringed making this joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So a memo justifying Trump's firing of Defense Secretary Esper dropped and....wow, its a read

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1458449906176245763?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pervis posted:

He wants nukes and is going to gently caress with oil prices if it will get them. Getting Trump back means getting nuclear tech transfers.

I don't think its that. I think he really is just that petty. This is a man who held his family in a hotel, effectively in prison, till they gave him what he wanted, and massacred a journalist because he dared to speak about him.

Nuclear tech is nice, but this is the actions of a petty, spited monarch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

No poo poo, all the more reasons people should not make posts justifying it as no big deal like that guy did

That's not what they did? They said this is fairly standard for what happens with weapons sales? Address their point, not attack the poster for accurately describing the mad house we live in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Well personally I think it's hosed up to frame the US government's continued military support of a regime engaged in active genocide as a ho-hum concession to realpolitik

That's not what they said at all though, so maybe stop reading into it that much. Please point where they justified the active genocide rather than just called it "Business As Usual" which it is, right or wrong. And by they I mean the specific poster.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 11, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Andenno posted:

I think it's fair to challenge this statement:

Reads as if the poster dismisses any moral responsibility for the US, not just explaining the POV of the decision makers.

They are not endorsing it, they are saying that's how it is. Its a stretch to suddenly say they endorse it. And as a mod I'm not going to read it like that.

This feels like an attempt to catch a poster in something they didn't say. Move on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

This is kind of an absurd ruling to make in this thread imo. It is a near-constant occurrence here that someone criticizing the democrats’ electoral strategies or policies on offer is immediately replied to with some variant of “oh so I guess the republicans would be better huh? Seems you don’t really care about minorities, very revealing of you” and that’s apparently fine, but reading agreement into a statement like “it’s pointless for the US to not sell weapons to Saudi Arabia because they’d get them somewhere else anyway” is a shocking attack on that posters morals. Why is one assumption tolerated, while the other precipitates an official ruling that assuming this is wrong and unfair? I don’t see the distinction here.

I’d also argue that the “realpolitik” of it being pointless is in no way an obvious or settled fact, given how influential the US is on the world stage, and how many tools we continually use to bend other countries to our will,* but that’s not really relevant to my point above.

*I think most of these methods are abhorrent, but if we’re talking about the US conducting “business as usual,” then all those actions fall under that same category of stuff the US does on a daily basis.

The problem is it getting reported as "genocide justification" which is not what it is, and reading into people's posts (which the poster came back and clarified) to set traps for them is really lovely.

This gotcha level poo poo is petty and stupid. If you believe a poster is saying something, ask them. Don't go straight to the accusations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbez posted:

Seems like he still has the right to claim self defense, based on that definition.

Going out of his way by travelling across state, to seek conflict, and then murdering people because you felt threatened in a conflict area, is not self-defense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbez posted:

I initially posted in this thread because I thought there was a strong case to be made that Rittenhouse had redeemed his right to self defense in light of the statutes referenced in a post by another individual. No one has really countered that claim in any substantial way responding to the fact that Rittenhouse was: in flight while being pursued by two individuals, one of which fired a bullet in his general direction. I wouldn't call these facts "weak counter-arguments". That's what accelerated the whole mess. The first shooting victim, yes, it appears he hadn't actually made contact with Rittenhouse in the footage, but he was DEFINITELY chasing him and I don't think it's unreasonable for Rittenhouse to believe his life was in danger especially in lieu of the gunshot. Rittenhouse further testified the man had told him he was going to kill him.

I'm interested in the case because it's one of many where people were quick to condemn and judge. The evidence does not appear to support the initial narrative. Our sensationalized media is largely to blame and I don't mind seeing them get egg on their face. I wish our society were capable of allowing the facts to be born out.

He went seeking trouble, found it, and reacted poorly to the environment, murdering two people. That is not self-defense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

In a world of George Zimmermans it apparently is. Just follow people you don't like with your gun, antagonize them, and shoot them, and it's all legal.

I think its universally accepted that Zimmerman was a miscarriage of justice, especially with what he's said post trial. And yeah, I get what you are saying, what counts as self-defense in this hellworld of a justice system is warped beyond reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lil poopendorfer posted:

People define Nazi differently, some people in this thread called Trump voters Nazis. To me, that's insane.

The Proud Boys are, however, Nazi adjacent and for all intents and purposes, Violent Fascists. We're not going to rehabilitate them here.

Regarde Aduck posted:

i see the 'proud boys aren't nazis' stuff in cspam as well and i'd love to know where the rehabilitation energy is coming from, and if the proud boys themselves know they're not nazis.

Let's not encourage cross forums drama, please.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The worst submarine posted:

Your honor, the defendant was acting in self-defense. He was posting jokes in D&D when a mod replied to him, clearly showing intent to probate or worse. Yes he may have acquired the jokes illegally from twitter, and maybe he was looking for some lulz in a 2-star thread. But, as everyone knows, all mods are bastards. Bitch had it coming.

Its funny, but knock it off, thanks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
NYT going to bat for O'Keefe and Project Veritas
https://twitter.com/MarkMazzettiNYT/status/1458941978117386246?s=20
Its pretty vomit inducing. Going to the level of calling O'Keefe a 'coworker' and taking Veritas videos at face value as "News" and "Reporting"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

Idk if that was confirmed so much as it was impossible to establish it has crossed borders.

How is that possible? He was there, with the gun, how can that not be positive confirmation?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No I'm saying you're so desperate to defend the Dems that you're making up absurd counterfactuals that have absolutely no relation to reality

How is that a counterfactual?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Bannon thinks Biden is just another WoW dungeon raid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Vitalsigns, the Biden tweet was in response to Trump claiming Biden would do those things, you really are making a big claim that isn't help up by that tweet. Knock it off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LionArcher posted:

this is 100% true. Look at general twitter, and plenty of the (I will die if I get covid you all suck for forcing us to stay inside) crowd from spring of 2020 are now going to bars and posting poo poo like "gay bars rock!" without masks on, because they got their shots. Covid is over, in terms of people caring.

meanwhile we're still at around a thousand deaths a day right?

But most of the deaths are unvaccinated people who are not likely to be doing anything preventative like vaccines or masks, which is the bigger issue, not people who are complying with medical best practices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Mattybee posted:

I already explained this to you, VitalSigns. "Didn't lock down" is not the same as "Critical of President Trump for LOCKING DOWN TOO MUCH". Just because you really want me to have said something I didn't say, doesn't mean I did say that.

I do not think the tweet is good, I do not think it says what you keep insisting it says.

It seems to me that you keep not actually addressing what I'm saying, but I suppose that's what I get for arguing with the person who has 70+ probations in this thread for being deliberately an rear end in a top hat, arguing in bad faith, putting words in opponents' mouths, and just generally being incapable of acting like a decent person, and yet was still allowed back in even though he's given zero evidence that he can do anything other than be an inflammatory, self-centered dick.

Can we not bring up people's user history when debating? Thanks. We all have skeletons in our rap sheet closet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, it just got too slap fighty. I don't think anybody is going to find middle ground on that topic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AmiYumi posted:

I’ve asked this before to silence and probations, but when did basic research and pattern recognition become such a no-no in D&D? Rap sheets and post histories are useful indicators of who is trolling a thread for the umpteenth time and about to get another sixer vs who is worth responding to seriously.

Yes but use it with the report button, not as part of your debate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We are not doing a Rittenhouse thread because:
1. The trial is going poorly
2. In GBS it was an absolutely shitshow
3. Nobody started one here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

There's not a D&D thread but mostly were all on the same page as one another and the cspammers and it's the only current event that matters right now. BBb isn't going anywhere soon.

gently caress "Rule of Law" as an end into itself.

Yeah nobody is going to call anyone out for discussing Rittenhouse in the CE thread, for sure. If someone wants to make a Rittenhouse thread, they can.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cranappleberry posted:

reposting from the rittenhouse thread:

https://twitter.com/Suntimes/status/1460652847347941388

which I think is beyond biased and outright insane. But hey, I'm not a judge.

Worth noting this is how his Defense Attorney is closing the trial

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1460364430034751495?s=20

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This article makes an important point, and I'd like to add that it isn't just doctors and nurses feeling this at big institutions. Pharmacy was already in a destructive race to the bottom before Covid, and our corporate oligopoly running it has only made things immensely worse. Everyone is exhausted, almost everyone I know from cashiers to techs to pharmacists in the half of the state I cover has caught covid by now, our staffing is cut, our lunches cut, our hours expanded, our responsibilities ballooned and people are going to the hospital with cardiac events from the stress. CVS killed a pharmacist by refusing to let her leave while experiencing a goddamn heart attack- I've got people here having to stay home because they've had aneurysms, or shown up to work with a BP of 190/110. I found out the pelvic pain I worked with over the summer was a kidney infection I developed while working too long without getting to sit or hydrate enough, which isn't a surprise because several of our pharmacies operate 8a-9p with one pharmacist and don't even have bathrooms.

Everyone who can retire or leave for another job already has, and everyone else is looking to do the same. We're overrun and patients are pissed because of the wait times, screaming at us every day. God help you if you're a parent and a pharmacist, because you aren't seeing your kids again. If they get sick, I hope you have family members you can trust to care for them because there's no one left to cover for you.

That's all before the political issues. No one masks in Louisiana, half the population believes the vaccine will make you infertile, severed from God or give you alien babies, doctors tell their patients not to mask while writing them zpak/ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/famotidine cocktails at insane doses for multiple month's supplies "because they don't believe that malarkey about them", and too many of my coworkers AGREE WITH THEM. I'm so tired of having these fights every day. As soon as my student loans are done I'm out forever.

Sorry for the derail. We did have a darkly funny event last month when corporate bought pizza for our chain. By bought pizza, I mean they gave everyone prepaid cards, ordered dominos and had us send techs to collect it just to have all of the cards decline. Any techs who paid out of pocket will NOT be reimbursed.

Yeah, between people who burned out, nurses and doctors who died from covid, and those who are just tired of the abuse, its going to get a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
News out of the Blizzard/Activision Sexual Harassment fiaso: Its getting worse

https://twitter.com/KirstenGrind/status/1460641844346298371?s=20

Their CEO went to bat for an exec accused of sexual harassment, threatening to have the accuser killed.