Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

spouse posted:

I don't doubt that this is real, but like, where are these people?

I live in a very conservative county bordering a fairly liberal city, and I see some posts from people, on Facebook and news sites and nextdoor. But IRL I see no one raging on a soapbox, no one protesting outside city hall. It seems like all the belief that the election was stolen has been channeled into new bumper sticker purchases rather than actionable organization, which would lead me to presume that it's cope from salty losers rather than a sincerely held belief.

Seems kinda like all the insurrectionary energy is at the "vague crabbing on unrelated posts" stage. Maybe it's different in redder areas?

Maybe at a school board meeting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

I do not know how people square believing that half the country wants to commit a genocide and also the strongest action to take against them is not visiting for Thanksgiving.

Look, why don't you put up or shut up? Not everyone can risk their jobs and homes just to go commit crimes against political enemies. Some of us have families to take care of, why is this such a foreign idea to you?

It's always folks like you that insist everyone else do the dirty work and risk everything.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thom12255 posted:

Is this calling out the child tax credit?

Since the money is for the children, how exactly are the children means tested?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm still waiting to hear how children are means tested, thanks.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nucleic Acids posted:

Pretty sure the Democrats will punch left no matter how the election goes today.

Interesting, I'm seeing a lot of fake leftists on various social media sites punching a guy who actually did poo poo like individually pardoning thousands of people hand because a judge prevented him from doing it in one fell swoop.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

What exactly makes someone a fake leftist? Are you suggesting they're undercover conservative operatives

I just mean the sort of people who shout angry garbage online, make insane demands and poo poo on those who do the hard work of improving things on the ground. Occasionally grifters.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sanguinia posted:

A responder in Raju's thread led me to this article, which goes into deep detail on what this deal most likely is. Subject to any changes made in the actual negotiating room of course. It seems like it could make a big difference, especially because its design to impose hard price ceilings on drugs and punitively punish any company that just totally avoids negotiating, not to mention the inclusion of all insulin products.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/11/02/new-drug-pricing-outline-limited-medicare-negotiation-carveout-small-biotechs/

Its obviously not nearly as good as blanket drug negotiating or pegging our prices to international prices, but it does seem like it'll make a big difference in real-world medical costs, especially for older people, which is good what with our aging population.

Yeah, this is going to help real people, but the gall of Sinema to talk about “protecting innovation” when these parasites spend more on advertising than research. Have DARPA start dumping some of that endless MIC money into drug discovery at our medical colleges and see who’s doing the real innovation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nix Panicus posted:

^^ I bet she got some dem lanyard attached to her campaign after the primary who coached her on how to triangulate to be more party friendly and appease the Brown faction. lol. literally never trust the party on anything. they exist to destroy progress

It’s really something that you’re convinced women of color have no agency of their own. Calling her a puppet just to make sick burns against “the libs” is really loving gross.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

This is some real bullshit reframing of what they actually said and you know it.

Claiming that she only lost because a “dem lanyard fooled her” makes it pretty clear that Nix doesn’t believe that Brown is calling her own shots. They even say that the party itself is to blame. Blame lies with the person or group in change, and Nix clearly doesn’t believe it’s Brown.

If you don’t like it, take it up with Nix.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is such a bizarre example to use for something they can do a legitimate story about.

Where have these people been getting milk for $1.99? According to Google, the average price of milk in 1990 was $2.39.

Also, 12 gallons of milk per week for two people?!?!

This is a promotional tweet by the actual CNN anchor and not someone making fun of it.

https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1456227125346832384

If you go further in the thread, you find out that they have two kids and are fostering 6-7 more.

However, you also find out that milk hasn't been $1.99 in a long loving time.

Why in the hell aren't they shopping at Costco?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lib and let die posted:

Isn't this just blaming the victims of a predatory economy? Why is it on average citizens to price map out the various distributors around them and then waste and burn fossil fuels hopping from store to store chasing the prices they can afford?

Seriously, what the gently caress?

Christ, you're loving dishonest. The price of milk hasn't been that loving low in forever. You cut that part out of my quote on purpose. I pointed out that everyone mocking them ignored the fact that they're fostering 6-7 kids. You cut that out as well. You didn't get upset at any of your buddies who were mocking them for drinking too much milk.

You hold no moral authority over anyone here.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 4, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I don't understand why people keep saying, "but parents will hate this because they'll send their kids to school in the dark" when their kids have after school poo poo as well and would preferably do it while some light remains.

Christ, I loving hate trying to work in my yard and it's dark by 4 or 5pm. WA, OR and CA already voted to have permanent DST, so at least let us have it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Jesus christ Josh Barro, just shut the gently caress up. You think peas belong in guacamole, you think BBQ and grilling is bad, and now you're wrong here as well.

Just shut the gently caress up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

All you have to do is interview some workers and people in the crowd and most likely they already know what the deal was.

My suspicion is that somehow it's something that Live Nation could be liable for and they're incredibly rich and powerful.

No, safety and accident investigations normally take a long time. If a large plane crashes, you're lucky if you know the root cause in a year. Serious multiple car crash or train derailment takes months. It takes a long time to gather evidence and interview people and piece everything together. And no, "most likely what they already know" is not some shortcut to a real answer. Folks shouldn't really be speculating until more information is known. Just look at the Rust shooting - the night of, everyone was talking about how "Baldwin was just playing with guns" and now the picture is a hell of a lot more complicated.

Why bring up this unsupported conspiracy that Live Nation somehow has their thumb on the scale? Specifically how is LiveNation inappropriately intervening here? Where is your evidence?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sanguinia posted:

I'm a millennial in my 30s stuck living my parents, so, you know, no argument here. The economy may be good by pretty much every metric but it's certainly not great personally for me. I just don't conflate my personal experience and feelings with the larger factual reality because I'm not stupid.

But whatever, I'm just tired of rhetoric in this thread being so fixated on the implied assumption of this magical leftist electorate. Every day I come in here and see another gleeful round of "look at how doomed the democrats are," followed by eyerolls about how the democrats losing is bad because the alternative is fascists, and the unspoken bit underlying that is "this could all be solved if the Dems would just actually be left." That conclusion is raw magical thinking. None of you all are convincing me that the solution is more leftism, you're just convincing me that the situation is utterly without hope because there's no proof more leftism will actually solve the problem.

At least this:

isn't someone living in la-la land because they acknowledge that Here's Some Leftism isn't a silver bullet to get voters on-side. At least when Majorian posts about the unactivated leftist voter they acknowledges that its just a theory which is why they put more stock in direct action than any form of electoralism. I can respect those positions because they're not having a party over bad things happening because they really believe good things will follow for literally no reason.

Why was this post probated? This makes no sense at all.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fame Douglas posted:

BREAKING: EXCLUSIVE: THREAD:

Why would you believe that source at all

The Twitter thread no, but I would be more inclined to believe the linked source showing an interview with an ABC Whitehouse correspondent who saw pictures.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
His AR-15 would be a great use case for civil asset forfeiture laws.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Booourns posted:

Wow it sure sucks when the "economic sanctions" are being applied to you instead of the other way around huh

Yeah, you sure showed those poor people who can't afford to drive into work! Sick burn!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

That's often how economic sanctions work in practice, yes.

Yes, but celebrating how it fucks over the poor is kinda messed up!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

the_steve posted:

Fister Roboto beat me to it, but yeah, I'm gonna need to see the post celebrating the loving over of the poors.

I already did in the very first post, why didn't you look instead of just taking the word of Fister?

Booourns posted:

Wow it sure sucks when the "economic sanctions" are being applied to you instead of the other way around huh

Literally the first post I responded to. Note how the sarcasm shows a pretty clear intention to celebrate the fact that the US is suffering from sanctions for once. What Booourns missed was that it primarily hits the poor, who literally had nothing to do with the creation or continuation of economic sanctions and that the US isn't some homogeneous block of people.

Kinda weird how both you and Fister somehow completely missed this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peter Daou Zen posted:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1460266347825405965?s=20

Democrat's too slow and inept that even Republicans are going to legalize weed before them. Sad, really.

Tons of dems have voted to legalize weed, what are you even talking about? I can literally walk down the street, prove i'm 21 and buy legal weed. You can do this on the whole west coast, acting like dems have never supported the legalization of weed and other drugs is incredibly dishonest.

She's introducing it as an alternative to Schumer's pot legalization bill because she thinks Schumer's bill has too many taxes and expunges records for "criminals."

By definition, if she is releasing it in response to Schumer's bill, then she didn't "get there first."

It also only has 5 Republican co-sponsors in the House and 2 in the Senate, so it's not going anywhere.

The House has already passed a bill legalizing marijuana back in December as well.

Ah, well there you go. Why didn't you give the democrats credit for these bills, Peter?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If Dems suck so much, why did Jay Inslee do such a great job? The Seattle-metro area has among the lowest COVID-19 death rates among any metro area in the nation. He was reelected to an unprecedented third consecutive term for that. He wasn't faking numbers or dining at the Herbfarm or Canlis, yet the effective governors are never given any credit because that would mean that things are more complicated than "DEMS BAD".

Stickman posted:

We’ve had Democrats in charge for 10 months now, and their half-assed measures have meant that the US’ outbreak is not much better than 2020. What could possibly make you think that all of the excuses for the current failures wouldn’t have applied to a Democrat-led 2020? It would have been a little bit better and we maybe would have gotten slightly better relief (though not with the current senate) but the epidemic trajectory a toll would still be of the same magnitude. All of those scandals you mentioned were bad, but while reversing them would have saved lives it would have done little to stem the tide.

And Trump wasn’t the only one politically pushing health leadership to disastrous effect. Biden slowed and then killed the stronger OSHA regulations in March because it ran counter to his “we’re beating COVID” message, as well as pushing for the CDC’s masking guidance change than cemented the decline in masking just prior to the Delta wave.

Loving the cry of "HALF-ASSED" when vaccines are literally available everywhere and there's never any consideration for just how lovely the delta variant is or just how exponential growth works. Republicans and their propaganda outlets (including Facebook and Twitter) are never given any agency for blowing up the anti-vax movement either, weird how that happens. Had the rest of the nation followed Inslee's lead, hundreds of thousands of lives would have been saved.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 15, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Stickman posted:

Lol, you might have noticed that just making vaccines widely available doesn’t magically control your epidemic. That’s why it’s “half-assed”. Some of the fault is structural and some of it is the administration loving up. Both ways, it’s certainly not full-assed.

Can you honestly look at our national COVID policy (and plan, if you can find one), and think “yes, this is a comprehensive effort that will effectively control COVID”?

You even quoted the part where I said "Republicans and their propaganda outlets (including Facebook and Twitter) are never given any agency for blowing up the anti-vax movement either, weird how that happens." and you literally give them no agency in their harmful actions!

We know that the vast, vast majority of hospitalizations are from people who aren't vaccinated, we know that diseases can lose their endemicity through massive vaccination campaigns (if you don't ignore history and deny basic science here) but no, it's the DEMS who are BAD.

Also cool of you to remove the quote about Jay Inslee, it just shows that you folks can't ever acknowledge when someone with a D at the end of their name is successful.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

QAnon Shaman was just sentenced to ~4 years in prison, 3 years probation following, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution + damages.

Oh wow, maybe the calls from people who said, "wait a loving second for trials and convictions to go through, and the heavier stuff takes longer" had a loving point!

Main Paineframe posted:

They're already expanding it to include social-emotional learning, as well as mental health programs in general. To the anti-CRT movement, counselors spending their time paying attention to kids' mental health is seen as taking resources away from college prep and using them to brainwash kids with namby-pamby liberal nonsense instead. Anti-suicide programs are seen as "advertising suicide" to kids who never would've thought of suicide, kids who just want to do all their homework and go to church. Social-emotional learning is being treated as a "gateway" to CRT, an attempt to circumvent anti-CRT laws by changing the terminology. And anti-CRT groups are getting quite heated about this stuff, to the bafflement of school administrators.

So do these folks actually give a poo poo about college prep, or is that the "whatabouthomelessvets" for schools? I ask, because these seem to be the same shitheads that scream about evolution and new math and poo poo like that.

VVV I said heavier, not heavy. There are still hundreds of these trials to go, and it's going to continue trending towards more serious punishments over time.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 17, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't disagree with you, but the latter part seems like a good reason to provide a living wage, guaranteed housing, etc to everyone. It's much harder to complain that those people are benefiting when everyone has what they need. Capitalism causes racism, which in turn helps to bolster capitalism by keeping the working class divided against itself.

Racism has been around far, far longer than Capitalism.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Republicans posted:

Well if that's the way it works I'm looking forward to the acquittal of that private security guard who domed the MAGA guy who punched him and tried to pepper spray him.

I have no loving clue about the details of the shooting, but in a fight between a MAGA guy and a literal Pinkerton, I'm not sure I'd even want to take a side.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

the_steve posted:

Wasn't the Democratic equivalent of the Southern Strategy the uh...Southern Strategy?

How about you provide some evidence for this?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So something I’ve been wondering with this case is “are citizen’s arrests even a real thing to begin with?” Does it just wildly vary by state? Is this some holdover from Jim Crow or earlier?

To someone that isn’t a lawyer, the whole thing sounds like something you heard on tv but doesn’t make sense in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PeterCat posted:

One thing omitted from this is the Obama-Biden administration had 8 years to pull out of Afghanistan and didn't do it, which makes me loath to give any credit to Biden, especially since I was part of the forces sent to deal with the fallout of pulling out of Iraq. We still have 2500 troops in Iraq and Syria, though no one has talked about them since Trump had the Iranian general killed.

Uh, would you mind pointing me to the document
/law/source showing us that the Vice President has the power to command troops? I’m really, really curious how that’s supposed to work.