Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Southwest Airlines itself seems to be joining in on the "unhinged" reaction.

Southwest Airlines investigates pilot’s use of ‘Let’s go Brandon’ anti-Biden jibe
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/01/southwest-airlines-pilot-lets-go-brandon-biden

"Prompting gasps" is still the funniest thing from this whole story to me, it just sounds like the plane was full of church ladies that heard a swear or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RBA Starblade posted:

Personally as someone who doesn't have children I'm pretty okay with not getting the tax credit for having them

Kids are pretty fuckin' expensive, so by not having kids my partner and I are probably saving way more than 600 dollars a month in the long run. I still think more direct aid to people living in poverty should be a thing though, just so I'm clear. People should get tax credits for all kinds of poo poo because capitalism is a miserable failure and the more the government can give to everyone, the better. It's a lot harder to claw good things away the more people benefit from them.

Lib and let die posted:

100% of all non-business-related loans should be forgiven imo, just, absolutely gently caress the banks, every single one of them.

student loans? gone.

car loans? gone.

personal loans? gone.

mortgages? gone.

small business loans? government takes them over, small business tyrants now pay a tithe to the government

Debt jubilee and nationalize the banks imo.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 1, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Killer robot posted:

This is definitely true. But even in a world where the government straight up gives everyone aid according to their needs, parents with children will need more than people without. In fact most likely to a greater degree than what they're getting in this bill. Again, because children are people with needs, but on government balance sheets their parents handle it because in our culture it's traditional for parents to care for their children. That's why characterizing it as that drat dirty means testing discriminating against people who don't have kids is gross. It's aid to children just as sure as money on schools is, and surely many of those benefiting from it will grow up to pay school taxes while never having kids of their own too. And that's just loving fine.

I do wonder how expensive people think kids are; like are these parents a bunch of lucky duckies making off with most of that 600 to buy steak and lobster?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

So I feel like there's a big gap between the criticism given and the argument people keep arguing with.

No not really. I agree completely that medical debt should be wiped out entirely; it doesn't require the framing that somehow the CTC is a bad thing to advocate for or desire that. The government could clearly afford to do all these things and more since there's infinite money for the military industrial complex and bank bailouts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lib and let die posted:

Yes. I have not, and will continue to not be shy about my feeling that the child tax credit is not enough of a reparative measure for all Americans, simply based on the fact that it is a "child tax credit" and not a "tax credit for everyone."

Lib and let die posted:

It's not bad, it's simply insufficient means to repair the American working class. Would you like to respond to that rather than the post you think I'm making?

Ruzihm posted:

I think it's disturbing how the original poster never said that the money going to parents should be reallocated elsewhere but for some reason that seems to be the strawman being attacked by much of this thread.

The first post sure makes it sound like their position is that the CTC should be replaced with something for everyone, not that we should have more benefits in addition to the CTC, which is why they were getting pushback. That's all, doesn't sound like we're in disagreement after additional discussion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ruzihm posted:

I don't see why a position of "a strategy of heavily favoring the enacting of programs with certain conditions such as program x and y is inadequate for generating political support" implies a position of "the beneficiaries of x and y deserve less money." Can you explain that step for me please?

Here's the part that I read to imply that:

quote:

based on the fact that it is a "child tax credit" and not a "tax credit for everyone."

If you can't see how that framing could imply the position of "ctc should be replaced with something for everyone" then I don't know how to break it down any more simply.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

Jo Jorgensen got more votes than Biden's margin over Trump in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, and Wisconsin which is enough to overturn the election and led to some hilarious handwringing from the worst people ever.

But this presumes that everyone who voted Libertarian "owed" Trump their votes instead which is a dubious assumption.

E: to save mod time and posters' report button fingers, FoS sent me a PM last week saying my USNews threadban would not carry over to US Current Events

Welcome (back) to the party, pal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Happy election day everybody, I'll be off to the polls to vote for my Mayor and city councilors and school bonds after work. Hope y'all all engage with your civic duty wherever you may be.

Personally voting today to keep the human embodiment of the Kelly "America when we do/don't talk about race" cartoon out of mayoral office in my city, and also to maintain a statewide capital gains tax.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ershalim posted:

Whatever the case, and whatever I'm probably missing, I do know that the line about "protecting innovation" is some hot bullshit. If someone with better legal brainmeats can parse what's available or explain what exactly the difference between medicare part B or D is and why that matters in relation to prescription drug prices, please have at it. I understand the mechanics of medications, but the hows and whys of how they're monetized are completely beyond me.

It's almost like that's a feature, not a bug, for people with a vested interest in ensuring that we never get single payer/universal healthcare.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

At one point in the past my only vehicle access was one that also was the primary of somebody who had a fresh DUI, so it had the breath based lock device for ignition. Holy hell was that the most annoying and patronizing poo poo. One morning I couldn't even start it because I was hungover from the night before.

I had a bad online date once where the other party failed to inform me that they had one of those in their car from a prior DUI and used it as a way to stay over. :negative:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Those are far and away the most popular cars being sold in America, it's not even close.

So yeah don't hold your breath. I'd be all for it, personally.

They could start by regulating the gently caress out of them, why are literally all trucks and SUVs now enormous? It's dumb as hell and I think less of every single person who drives one without explicit need.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CommieGIR posted:

So a memo justifying Trump's firing of Defense Secretary Esper dropped and....wow, its a read

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1458449906176245763?s=20

drat, that guy sounds like a real sick gently caress.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If your friends aren't terminally online and falling for "the loony left" nonsense, then they've probably been targeted by RWM talking points that have filtered down into media that most "liberal or left-leaning" people don't realize is inherently conservative.

If they're terminally online and their fee fees are hurt because they saw a trans person angry about something on Tumblr or Twitter, they should practice the art of logging off.

And that's as much credence as anyone should give to the idea that radical leftists have gone too far in forcing society to bend to their whims. When you see some dumb poo poo isolated incident like the Australian school thing and think it represents an alarming pattern, congrats, you're falling for right wing media framing as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As inflation continues to rise and material conditions get worse for middle class whites more people are going to stupidly embrace whoever promises the best turbo fascism in order to make things go back to way things "ought" to be, and I'll give you two guesses as to which political party has been running that playbook for years.

I hope I'm wrong and that's just the depression talking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

The problem is that The Man is responsible for funding both parties' politicians, so they have no impetus to get rid of The Man.

To be fair they said "the leftist pitch" and leftist doesn't describe either of the two major political parties.

selec posted:

Think the leftist pitch for America needs to be about Getting The Man Off Your Back.

The man makes you work before you clock in, or steals your wages and tips.

The man makes your doctor call some pencil neck insurance dork to see if he’s allowed to use his expertise to help you. What’s that loving desk working dork got to do with you and your doctor? Get that loving nerd out of here.

The man makes you go to endless HR trainings while you know your boss sexually harasses people at every company party (which none of the hourly folks get invited to) and then fires anybody who mentions the boss doing this. gently caress that! Fair is fair, hold the boss to the same standard you hold me.

The man sits by his pool in his second house, next to his third wife, while the only thing you got three of is kids to feed and jobs to work. The man then tells you you’re lazy. That you’re the lazy one!

The man tells you that you’re going to work until you die, but he retires before he’s even hit 55.

Get The Man Off Your Back is typically a right wing, libertarian framing, but it can obviously be put in service to a concept of freedom and dignity that would appeal to a lot of people.

But you gotta maybe hurt the feelings of some of those HR and lanyard types.

This is solid messaging though, I love it. I was just thinking the other day that part of making society better would probably mean the absolute destruction of useless middle management that serves no purpose than to give upper middle class white dudes an unearned feeling of self-importance, but I have no idea how we get there without drastically restructuring society with a generous UBI and rock solid benefits. The idea is there, the road map is not, and I'm not sure it can ever be in this country before descending into inescapable fascism and likely balkanization.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, urban hick wannabes love to dip for some reason. It's also really popular in agriculture work.

Gauron memes are always welcome

Look at this p'takh with no honor, can't even spell Gowron correctly. You dishonor your house.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It’s all just ridiculous posturing. “I refuse to eat turkey with my racist Uncle,” I smugly type on my cell phone made from slave labor. “I’m helping!”

"And yet you too live in society, I am very smart!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

whos that broooown posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kirios posted:

This new variant appears to be worse than Delta, though we are still trying to figure out just how bad it really is. I appreciate the federal government imposing some travel restrictions to...buy us time. But it looks like the vaccines aren't nearly as effective with Omicron (name of the next Marvel villain), and I fear that we are in for a brutal winter with how much fatigue there is with COVID in the United States. Be safe everyone!

Bolded is simply not true based on what we know of the mRNA vaccines and how they work. A few people are speculating worst case scenarios about the new variant but vaccinated people are still thus far still largely protected from hospitalization and death from the new variant. It's still fairly early to say definitively how effective they will continue to be, but work is already being done to tailor the existing vaccines to the new variants.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In a shocking twist that nobody saw coming, new anti-CRT laws are not being used to stop public schools from teaching critical race theory and are instead being used to prevent the teaching of anything that portrays segregationists and southern white people in a negative light - including actual history.

One of Moms for Liberty complaints requests that the state throw out one history textbook because a photo caption describes black children being sprayed with fire hoses as "hurt" by the water - which violates the new state law because the authors don't know that they were "hurt" by the hoses and mentioning the race of the children makes it a racial issue.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1465365202438959109
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1465367632220147714
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1465368374481981448

Who could have possibly foreseen this

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've worked a lot of lovely retail/service jobs in my time and nearly every single one has had mandatory anti-union "trainings" as part of the new hire process. It appears to be highly successful, and I have no doubt that Amazon's commitment to doing just slightly higher than the bare minimum (while still making working in their warehouses nightmarish and lovely) is nearly as effective. And not having worked there, I would think that anti-union poo poo is as much of their onboarding process as anywhere else. In a better version of reality, this poo poo would be illegal and everyone would enjoy union job benefits, but unfortunately our government is more beholden to mammon than making citizen's lives better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bird food bathtub posted:

As far as I can remember the original cause for monthly threads was Radium-code causing things to blow up all over the forums if threads got too big.

Mods are thinking of all the people browsing on their 56k modems, please don't modem-shame.