Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cranappleberry posted:

Here is the actual videos, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ferrn7Shyk&t=6513s

There is also a video of him saying he wish he had his AR-15 to confront protestors coming out of a CVS.

Another of an interview with him saying he was there to "defend property" and "that's why he had his gun"

These were not allowed to be shown at trial.

actually committing a crime does exempt someone from the right to self-defense except under specific circumstances. As he has to not only retreat, but not return unless he makes a good faith effort to inform the person.

Also, aiming down sight at someone who throws a plastic bag at you is responding with disproportionate force and Wisconsin law stipulates that proportionate force must be used.

Rittenhouse testified in court that he fired at someone he knew to be unarmed. If you watch the videos, including the FBI surveillance footage, he fires at Rosenbaum, who then falls. No gun grabbing, and far away enough that Rittenhouse has space to ice him with feet between them.

Quick clarification, under Wisconsin law I believe committing a felony specifically exempts one from a right to self defence, and Rittenhouse's felony was carrying a firearm while underage. That should be a slam dunk for the prosecutor, I'm not sure why they didn't just pursue that line in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nine-gear crow posted:

Both of them do. I don’t know who was the more racist of the two, the guy who kept having meltdowns and asking for a mistrial every day because Al Sharpton was sitting in the gallery with the family, or the long dirty toenails lady.

Also these guys are going up on federal hate crimes charges now after this, so their fun juuuuust beginning.

It's the defense attorneys' job to provide a robust defense for their client(s). How they did it is despicable but they can be censured or disbarred by their state bar association if their conduct was found to be unprofessional. I'm not sure what the standards are for being censured, but generally speaking, I don't think they did anything professionally wrong so much as just wildly distasteful. Attorneys do that poo poo all the time, the major difference here is that it was a high profile, highly publicized trial.

Hell, in terms of breaching professional ethics, these two probably aren't even the worst ones involved in the case - that award probably belongs to the DA who failed to file charges and is now facing a felony indictment herself over her handling of the case. Her not getting charged would have been a far worse miscarriage of justice than 2 lovely defense attorneys saying despicable poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chris Cuomo is highly visible, probably wanted to run it past the lawyers before making the decision and then hand it off to PR to word the announcement carefully.