Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Gripweed posted:

There's one thing I've never understood about the anti-third party argument. If a vote for Blanding is actually a vote for Youngkin because it's taking a vote away from McAuliffe, wouldn't a vote for Youngkin then technically be two votes for Youngkin because it's taking away a vote for McAuliffe and giving it to Youngkin?

But in that case, how do Democrats ever expect to win when their opponent's votes count twice as much as theirs?

I mean, yes? Every vote for a candidate is also a vote against that candidate's opponents.

Simplist scenario, you have two candidates, A and B, and 100 voters. The results are

A-50 votes
B-50 votes.

Then, let's say a voter for candidate A changes his vote to B. The new results are

A-49 votes
B-51 votes

One voter changed his vote, but Candidate B now has 2 votes more than Candidate A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kalit posted:

Wow, what the hell happened with 3 and 4? I know nothing about these questions/NY, but they seem like an easy win....

The Conservative Party launched a giant ad blitz on a "No on 1, 3, and 4" campaign, arguing it would lead to partisan gerrymandering, illegal immigrants voting and voter fraud. The state was blanketed with ads and mailers.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MooselanderII posted:

The Rule of Law: resuming student loan payments that have been on hold for 22 months for no reason other than pure generational strife and bootstraps.

I assume that ideally, you'd like to see the loans forgiven, but (and this is a serious question. This isn't a gotcha or a rhetorical thing) assuming that doesn't happen, when should the deferments expire? What should the trigger be to restart it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

I'm still wondering how his defense can hinge on him acting in self defense when, as far as I understand it, you cannot claim self defense while you are engaging in a crime. Which...he undoubtedly was. Like even if you concede he acted in a manner that would be consistent with self defense if he wasn't committing a crime at that time, he was committing that crime! (Also I don't concede that but whatever)

Of course I'm not a lawyer at all so I could easily be wrong, but gently caress this whole situation.

So this is basically the Wisconsin statue about self defense and committing a crime, just FYI. I defer to any Wisconsin lawyers to explain it further.

quote:

) Provocation affects the privilege of self-defense as follows:
(a) A person who engages in unlawful conduct of a type likely to provoke others to attack him or her and thereby does provoke an attack is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense against such attack, except when the attack which ensues is of a type causing the person engaging in the unlawful conduct to reasonably believe that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. In such a case, the person engaging in the unlawful conduct is privileged to act in self-defense, but the person is not privileged to resort to the use of force intended or likely to cause death to the person's assailant unless the person reasonably believes he or she has exhausted every other reasonable means to escape from or otherwise avoid death or great bodily harm at the hands of his or her assailant.
(b) The privilege lost by provocation may be regained if the actor in good faith withdraws from the fight and gives adequate notice thereof to his or her assailant.
(c) A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such an attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense..

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

hobbez posted:

I am a biased nurse but if Biden wants to do targeted student loan forgiveness healthcare would be a great place to start. Maybe “x amount of loans for x years worked.” Because it’s hosed right now, our hospitals are understaffed everywhere.

Just in general, so you can look into it, if you're a nurse at a not for profit or government hospital, you might want to check out the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, which will forgive your loans after 10 years of working there.

If you're a licensed registered nurse or advanced practice registered nurse, and work at a hospital or clinic with a critical nursing shortage, you might qualify for the Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program (which forgives 60% of your nursing school debt in exchange for 2 years work there with another 25% if you work a third year) or the NHSC Loan Repayment Program, which gives you loan forgiveness based on a formula and need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TulliusCicero posted:

Wht the gently caress is the Nordstream 2 project?

Also, how is Ted Cruz able to put holds on anything? The GOP controls nothing in the Senate, unless there is some pants on head stupid power sharing agreement

Nordstream 2 is a natural gas pipeline that's being built from Russia to the EU to supplement the current Nordstream pipeline, because a lot of EU countries are really dependent on Russian natural gas, especially Germany. This has led to criticisms that their dependence has led to their failure to stand up to Russia.

As for Ted Cruz and the ambassadorships, most uncontroversal appointments are passed by whaats called unanimous consent. That pretty much means the person presiding over the senate says basically, "There's a proposal to make X ambassador to Y. Without objection, so ordered.'
If anyone objects, it has to go through the normal procedure, which can take a long time.