Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think the texas abortion ban might have been designed intentionally to send to the supreme court, based on a strategy of purposefully including extremely horrible parts as sacrificial buffers.

If the abortion ban was just the 6 week/heartbeat thing, they would just have to up or down the process and the news would be "Supreme court allows/denies abortion ban"

Instead they can now ever so graiously strip off entire wads of the whole blatantly unconstitutional abortion bounty hunter / citizen deputizing bullshit, carving down the majority of the bill

... but, of course, leave the actual abortion ban in place in service of their demented ideology.

The reason why I think they're playing these games is because they're at least aware that they have to play it carefully with the legitimacy of the supreme court. Like, they know they can't just go all-in on the process of restructuring american law in service of a narrow right-wing dominionist attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I fully blame the Dems for the mess this country is about to get into.

I, too, cannot envision anyone else involved in this mess you speak of. no kind of conceptual group with any sort of direct contribution to the bad things,

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Willa Rogers posted:

This reminded me of that weird Andrew Sullivan piece about the little brown boy in the mideast who would cry tears of joy if Obama were elected:

"Consider this hypothetical. It’s November 2008. A young Pakistani Muslim is watching television and sees that this man—Barack Hussein Obama—is the new face of America. In one simple image, America’s soft power has been ratcheted up not a notch, but a logarithm. A brown-skinned man whose father was an African, who grew up in Indonesia and Hawaii, who attended a majority-Muslim school as a boy, is now the alleged enemy. If you wanted the crudest but most effective weapon against the demonization of America that fuels Islamist ideology, Obama’s face gets close. It proves them wrong about what America is in ways no words can."

a tear of reverence for America falls down their cheek moments before they are flash-obliterated by US-supplied munitions

Putting aside how stupendously wrong Sullivan was about this, the central conceit of it reminds me of meeting him and how he was always kind of distastefully like this. At least he's drifted out of the sort of relevance that had him hailed as a "free thinking provocateur" and spends most of his days grouching at those drat drag queers for being so loud on commercial street at night in Ptown

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

JonathonSpectre posted:

Just a quick reminder that a few weeks ago the military got $10 billion in extra money above and beyond their yearly $750+ billion and there wasn't a loving peep about it from anyone, anywhere.

That's enough money to spend $200 million on highways in every state. To build 500 $20 million schools.

It's also 1/2 the money we spent air-conditioning buildings in Iraq and Afghanistan every loving year we were in those places. And yet no one ever asked how we would pay to cool fabric tents in the loving desert.

RIP America, died of laundering money to Northern Virginia.

It's amazing what kind of effects the senate has, in particular, on graft and regulatory capture.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

How are u posted:

Fingers crossed! I don't think the BBBA is dead and buried, but I don't think the drama is over either.

The ride never ends.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
At present we're in a situation where the judge is outright openly stating he believes he witnessed the jury composition was the result of discriminatory exclusion, but that state law does not give him the capacity to do anything about it, so he's seating the jury anyway.

Like, it's out in the open here, and it should be front and center in the case of a terrible outcome.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I'm still assuming that midterm effects repeatable since the dawn of time (plus the democratic party's general aimlessness and terrible advisory) will still pull it in for the GOP but

well, okay, that is admittedly good news for anyone who doesn't like republican majorities

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

hobbez posted:

I’ll also say as someone that works in psychiatry Rittenhouse’s crying thru that section of testimony appears to be a legitimate panic attack. I’d be interested to hear from anyone that has firsthand experience with those that doesn’t believe that appears to be a legit panic attic

While I'm not going to claim that observable panic attack symptoms are universal, having assisted people in domestic or housing crisis for many years and learned the grounding and interventionary methods for assisting someone going through one, I would have to testify that I've never seen a panic attack express itself like rittenhouse's. The hyperventilation does not appear autonomic. never had anyone posture themselves like him, either. you do different things with your sitting posture, your balance, your breathing, and your hands.

Is it possible it's real? I guess. Do I trust him enough to sidestep the weirdly performative appearance of the 'attack?' No, there's enough to dish on him as it is, including his embracing the far right afterwards and taking on the personal mentality of him having done what was actively right in that situation.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I'm only surprised Bannon is being charged with the thing he is clearly doing. I expected they'd punt because, uh, decorum or something

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Bet you he already out to chill at home

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Manchin okay with voting for BBB before the end of the year.

Still says that the paid family leave added back in by the House needs to be stripped out.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1460996555859763205

manchin says thing, is ok with thing, however is not ok with thing. will go ahead with thing, but has reservations with thing, and does not like thing. feels thing is important but cannot have other thing in thing. gives additional statement stating that timing of thing is wrong for other thing, needs to insist thing not be thing but be other thing or not be thing at all. now thinks thing is bad and is upset thing is being pushed. will go ahead with thing but is hesitant. is offering complaint about thing, as thing simply is not acceptable. will vote for thing, except we need to understand he is definitely not voting for thing. holds press conference saying that he is drawing a line in the sand about thing, will vote for thing, but thing is absolutely not going to have his approval. won't vote for thing. agog at the hubris of party that makes thing, that he is part of, saying cannot support party in thinking thing is acceptable at this juncture. thing is being pushed far too fast, has reservations, will not be bullied on this thing, thing must change. will go ahead with thing. thing is being pushed far too fast, has reservations, will not be bullied on this thing, thing must change. will go ahead with thing. but will have reservations. says thing will be an absolute disaster for this campaign. is getting into a no-win situation. he will get his way in this, he says, so what? that's his prerogative. so now will start with revisiting thing and going back to the negotiating table. will go ahead with thing. but can't make a decision. still will be in for a long debate. does thing not want a debate? will decide on thing after a few months. things will change, so will things. we do not know what is going on. what but other issue is about it not being allowed to say thing to other person. thinks that is unfair treatment, would prefer to not do it, but if the person not allowed it to do so, then I might as well not say it at this. needs to insist thing not be thing but be other thing or not be thing at all. what? or maybe I should put this more simply. in the context of code, manchin is saying that things are not the same. thing should not have been thing because thing was thing and thing/thing was other. I don't think thing? the code is just a way for him to say "this should be the thing" and that is very confusing. when is the last time he really needed to use 'thing?' so needs to clarify. is what thing going to thing vote on thing? votes on idea, which is all that matters, then will move on to vote on wording of text. voted for idea to be something. has to decide if thing can be left out. but will consider if other things should go in there as well. gets in a position to ask for things and has concerns about things, which is a problem. he does want to get things but will not vote with things. wants to make things the default, not change the defaults. seems to be ok to vote. thing will fail at thing vote and he will chide you for having pushed for thing when thing was very bad for america things and not appropriate for the time. but when thing passes will state how pivotal his input was to making thing great, great step forward for all manchin adjacent humans. the system works

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Gatts posted:

I was going to use this meme when the House and Senate passed the $3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation bill but now at $1.9 trillion they do not deserve it

So this is going to be used if Manchin and Sinema sausage the bill further

I thought it was down to 1t, of which only about 500b is really new spending

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I didn't want the true oral history of america to include "our first woman president so a septuagenarian can have a tube put up his butt"

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really, the dilemma of “do i invite my conservative family members to thanksgiving?/do i attend thanksgiving hosted by conservative family members?” isn’t that difficult to solve anyway. Stop celebrating Thanksgiving, it’s a fascist holiday.

This is like telling people to stop using the gregorian calendar because it was in service to a state religion or something. Thanksgiving is a holiday period we often have to work with and represents one of the few times it's generally possible to get as much of the family together for a lot of working families.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jaxyon posted:

It does work, with the right technique. It's pretty much the only instance in which you can do it. Randos on the internet? Not so much.

But as I said, nobody owes family that work. I'm not against severing from racist family and I've practiced what I preach, both ways.

Agreed with this on both points. It is something that has been shown to work, but that labor is nothing you can expect or obligate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
weird derAl