Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

spouse posted:

I don't doubt that this is real, but like, where are these people?

I live in a very conservative county bordering a fairly liberal city, and I see some posts from people, on Facebook and news sites and nextdoor. But IRL I see no one raging on a soapbox, no one protesting outside city hall. It seems like all the belief that the election was stolen has been channeled into new bumper sticker purchases rather than actionable organization, which would lead me to presume that it's cope from salty losers rather than a sincerely held belief.

Seems kinda like all the insurrectionary energy is at the "vague crabbing on unrelated posts" stage. Maybe it's different in redder areas?

This. There are a lot of Republicans who talk about violence to take the country back because it sounds cool and fits their stupid action movie hero view of patriotism, not at lot that would risk anything by doing it and even fewer among those that are competent enough to be dangerous. Let us all remember the Great Bundy Birdhouse Bonanza and how they didn't bring enough food with them to last more than a few days and were soon wallowing in their own filth when the water was shut off. Or the fact that the bulk of the Jan. 6 Insurrectionists were wandering around the Capital taking selfies nad staying inside the guide ropes like a bunch of tourists.

This isn't to say these people aren't dangerous. They absolutely are. They should be treated as such and crushed without a single bit of hesitation or excusing for their actions or intentions regardless of how far they're actually willing to go in real life. They're fascists who want to install a mass-murdering ideologically reactionary dictatorship indistinguishable from Nazi Germany. But the huge bulk of them are clearly lazy and financially comfortable idiots who are looking for little more than a thrill, to hurt minorities, to express their privilege absent consequences, and to feel like they're part of a community that shares their feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oral arguments are ongoing in the Texas abortion cases right now (thread)

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1455172114642837511?s=20

Tweet thread says Gorsuch is one of the only two justices who is telegraphing taking Texas' side in both suits. Which is pretty wild considering his weirdo true-Libertarian ideology. Guess snuffing Federal power is the lesser Liberatarian evil than allowing a state to become a dictatorship with the power to strip one of it's citizen's federal rights no matter where in the country they go to exercise it by turning every fascist in america into a cop.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

A big flaming stink posted:

On the other hand, this is an entire thread of some prime leopards eating faces stuff

https://twitter.com/BradGeyer/status/1454151406588469248?t=eYL6CazPuhFPqKTd0v7FdQ&s=19

I'm not sure if I got a bigger laugh from the part where he says all the guards are African immigrants who have been taught to hate America and beat them for singing the national anthem, or the part where he says THE GOVERNMENT HAS CANCELED ME and then describes how his imprisonment has cost him his business and his home. Because that's what canceling is.

These psychos can't even issue a cry for help against (supposed) prison brutality without pandering to their audience's need for political purity.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TheDisreputableDog posted:

like applying the “Nazi” label to Romney undermined doing the same with Trump.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Interesting VA Analysis:

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1454817418786877448

tl;dr - Black turnout is approaching 2020 vote share in early voting, early voting is surging in the days coming up to the election in Dem strongholds that were lagging a few weeks ago. Early vote is older than 2020 and is skewed a bit toward rural precincts compared to 2020. There are some hints of an enthusiasm advantage for GOP in the actual data now, mostly around first time early voters. Poll aggregates are possibly not as big a feather for the GOP as pundits have thought, because the average is being skewed by polls produced by GOP consulting firms, which have been flooding their junk into the info-stream and thereby shifting the aggregate. That absurd badly-sampled +8 Fox poll is the only major Media poll in the last month that showed Youngkin ahead, and according to Nate Cohn there have actually been very few polls at all since the 27th, so a lot of thoughts about the state of the race are predicated on extrapolations of old data, rather than current information.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1455240706516209668

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rochallor posted:

There appears to be a solid swing towards Youngkin towards the end, but after the past 5 years of polling I think we just have to assume that any race within 6 points or so is a toss-up. Those two points might be the ones putting him over the top, or maybe he was already winning or losing by 5 points.

This is every poll on 538 since the Fox +8, and frankly this doesn't seem like a "solid swing," towards Youngkin, especially since one of the polls in there is Traflolgar. If anything the most recent data favors MaC. Even today he has a +3 poll with a larger sample right in there with those R-leaning ones,

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

A responder in Raju's thread led me to this article, which goes into deep detail on what this deal most likely is. Subject to any changes made in the actual negotiating room of course. It seems like it could make a big difference, especially because its design to impose hard price ceilings on drugs and punitively punish any company that just totally avoids negotiating, not to mention the inclusion of all insulin products.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/11/02/new-drug-pricing-outline-limited-medicare-negotiation-carveout-small-biotechs/

Its obviously not nearly as good as blanket drug negotiating or pegging our prices to international prices, but it does seem like it'll make a big difference in real-world medical costs, especially for older people, which is good what with our aging population.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

To be fair, in 2017 there were I think less than 100k early voters but the total turnout was still more than 2.5 million. Laws have made it so much easier to vote early since then a staggering number like that is to be expected.

That said, predictions I've see say that the early vote might be 2 to 1 or better Dems, and with a million early votes in the bank that's a real good number. Total turnout prediction is just over 3 million, and Youngkin will struggle to make up that margin with a full third off the board

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

drat, this sausage making process may actually be nearly over.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BRJohnson posted:

I don't understand the consistent focus on Virginia in here (not that it bothers me). Just trying to understand.

Is it the only close gubernatorial, or has Virginia special significance / potential in congress?

Also, I only see Bernie's posts in here these days but we should all be stanning him constantly and maybe make him into some kind of modern Steve Rogers, right? The guy's great, and he's a launchpad to discussions about how some politicians can be good and *gasp* maybe they're (exclusively) democrats / leftists!

Virginia is a +10 blue state, people are paying attention to it because the R they're about to elect is a frothing nazi who's platform is turning schools into racism indoctrination camps. It's a sign that Trump's chances of returning to power and the Republican party turning our country into a single-party dictatorship due to voter apathy are much higher than we thought.

Also, you know, the fact that this proves the Libs are more Owned than ever. That's probably what's really important.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ciprian Maricon posted:

No he is not, he's extremely good at hiding the fact that he is a Nazi and running ads that make him seem like a reasonable centrist, he's the opposite of the Trump-esque bigot McAuliffe tried to paint him out as, even if his politics are every bit as repugnant.

A frothing nazi that appears on the outside to be calm, reasonable and refined is the loving archtype for what a nazi is, and has been since the end of the drat war where we fought the nazis. The loving shrug-oh-well energy people are expressing over this is horrific. A +10 dem state just elected this psycho on the explicit promise that he's going to go after teachers, and nobody on this board seems to care except insofar as they get to laugh at a democrat they hate for being a loser.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Blindeye posted:

He wants to make us all suffer for failing progressives. He thinks accelerationism is good without understanding revolution kills and hurts the vulnerable.

Either way, ignore him.

It'd be a hell of a lot easier if everyone wasn't always quoting him, thereby making the ignore button I clicked useless.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Nix Panicus posted:

If McAuliffe ran on democrat material victories and still lost that would be alarming, but if McAuliffe ran on opposing someone not even in the race that seems like wasted energy and a terrible strategy.

I'm not going to lie, this seems like a really thin argument to me. Like, would the people of Virginia not KNOW that their Democratic Trifect Government is responsible for all the good things that happened without needing it to be trumpeted if the refrain is always that voters will respond to material improvements?

The exit polls showed that voters overwhelmingly thought that Virginia's economic situation was excellent, and they still tossed the government that provided that excellent situation. I'm not saying McAuliffe going so heavily anti-Trump was a good campaign strategy, but this isn't a Hillary situation in my eyes. The argument always went that people were disillusioned by Obama's shortcomings and in the absence of material good times her weak campaign was easy to defeat. Why would a weak campaign matter this much if material good times are produced? And why would they matter down-ticket? If it was really McAuliffe's gaffs AND his bad campaign that cost him, why did it also cost the House? Surely the swayable voters would recognize the benefits their legislature have provided and only punished the governor, not their Assemblyperson?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seattle seeing another situation where the "pro-police" candidate is being driven to victory by minority voters.

Kind of surprised by the Republican winning the city attorney position when no other Republican got close to any major elected office. Maybe a local/personal reason specific to her? I'm not really familiar with that race.

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1455754463512199171

Between this, Minneapolis voting down police reform and NYC electing a Pro-Cop Mayor, I just don't know what the way forward is on the cop problem. They've become as bullet-proof as the military thanks to American pop culture, and the judiciary is protecting them at every turn even as their abuses grow more blatant daily. I feel like the silver bullet is destroying Qualified Immunity, but anyone who tries to go after it will be painted as anti-cop, and even the cities with the most anti-cop sentiment and who have been most harmed by police apparently won't countenance anti-cop politicians.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sharkie posted:

Democratic Party members when a Democratic President is in office: "He can't do anything! Don't you see the president is very weak and is trapped in an Iron Cage of Law?!"

Decocratic Party members when a Repub is in office: "Oh no! Somehow the president has broken through the Iron Cage of Law?! And is doing all kinds of things! Gotta vote Democratic to help rebuild the Law Cage"

Ah yes, notoriously bad societal practice "The Rule of Law." What we really need is more Ceasars in modern politics.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Reading this thread today feels like I'm in a room full of teenage libertarians who listened to Armstrong's speech from Metal Gear Rising and nodded along with every word. Yeah, gently caress off Rule of Law! The Law SHOULD change to suit the individual, countries SHOULD be ruled by strength not committee, and we SHOULD all have the ability to fight our own wars! NANOMACHINES, SON!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Peter Daou Zen posted:

I’ll take the sexy bisexual vampires, the neo samurais, the Old Men fighting Each Other over the insane gridlock in congress that gets absolutely nothing done

We'll probably never agree on anything again, but I can agree with this. :ocelot:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Byzantine posted:

The Empire invented the hospital and provided free healthcare for its citizens.

Imperialism, a system of enrichment for people that famously has no downsides.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

How are u posted:

I agree that we treat KSA with kid gloves because of the money, absolutely, and our ongoing relationship with KSA and MBS is disgusting and shameful.

I don't agree that Ortega is a leftist. Nothing about a dictatorship, rounding up all your opponents and putting them in prison, and trying to start a hereditary executive is leftist or should be defended by people who call themselves leftist.

I mean, we just had a giant conversation yesterday where several people espoused their belief that the rule of law is bullshit that doesn't do anything but reinforce unjust hierarchies, especially because the Right just ignores it at will anyway and Liberals only espouse it to excuse inaction. There's clearly a lot of people on this forum who are only interested in leftist outcomes and don't care about methods.

That being said, the fact that the US has a funny habit of caring a lot more about dictators and death squads when they threaten US business interests, and that hard right wing dictators are less likely to do that, are salient points. American Empire is absolutely biased against leftist economic reform on an international scale and has been for more than a century now, regardless of the source of that reform. The only exceptions to that are when it happens in countries America can't afford to bully for whatever reason. The source of that reform being a militant organization jailing political enemies just gives them a better excuse to do it in the eyes of the world.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Seems like Youngkin has given national Republicans a model to run on in the midterms.

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1455948879359262725

NRCC campaign document says that they key issues candidates should highlight are:

Lots of greatest hits, but half of the main talking points are about education, parental rights, and social issues that are rolled into "education" issues.

Also interesting is no foreign policy, nothing about healthcare except the standard anti-socialized medicine line, nothing about social security, nothing about new tax cuts (just preventing Democrats from raising taxes. Although, this is probably because Biden will still be President and they are messaging with that in mind), and nothing about jobs.

I need to get out of this hellhole country. I'm not going to lives the rest of my professional life teaching fascist-mandated propaganda and hurting LGBTQ kids for a paycheck.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I don't know how anyone can come away from this thread feeling anything but total nihilistic despair. Every time I read it the same conclusions pop out: the things that Dems do are pointless and useless and will lose them votes, the things Dems could theoretically do will lose them votes despite helping people and thus be undone, the Republicans can do literally anything and never be punished for it because they give people permission to be bigoted, giving people permission to hurt disadvantaged groups is not enough reason for most Americans to oppose Republicans no matter how much the Republican policies will also hurt them because Democrats won't help them, and the only solution to all this is a revolution that will never happen because half the people that would be necessary for it are fascists who would kill the other half before their own oppressors.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I mean, if Gottheimer and Jayapal are talking face to face, this is it. You don't go one-on-one until its the final hour. She has not hosed around on this even once, so she's not just going to take a handshake and My Word Is My Bond. If he has anything that she can believe, he'll offer it, and then it'll be down to if she thinks she can trust him or not. Either she'll decide she believes him, or she'll decide she can't and we'll get to see just how much she has her caucus united.

Politics doesn't get more high stakes than this. These are the moments when you find out what the people you elected are made of, one way or the other.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

House just went into recess subject to the call of the chair. Looks like both cars hit the brakes in this chicken game, at least for the moment.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Moderates promise to Jayapal has been given to the press. A hard promise to vote for BBB on Nov. 15 if there is no CBO score by then, to vote on BBB immediately if the CBO score is consistent with the White House Budget Estimate the west wing released yesterday, and a commitment to keep working on the bill if CBO and White House don't match rather than voting it down.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1456808527058571265

Pelosi is apparently still circling the room talking to people. Jayapal is gathering up reporters to make a statement. AOC and Talib have said they're No votes right now, and AOC said "This is bullshit."

VVV

The exact words in the statement were that the CBO score is bad the moderates "remain committed to resolving any discrepancies and pass," the bill

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 6, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jayapal took the deal. Progressive Caucus votes yes on BIF, Moderates vote on a House Rule binding them to their promise to vote yes by Nov 15.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1456812369435406336

Unclear if The Squad is going along with this. 4 votes might be enough to make a difference if there's zero Rs.

Also worth noting: it's not in the Mods interest to kill BBB entirely anymore thanks to the SALT revival the other day. That's probably why it happened, in retrospect.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1456813891632123907

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 6, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah I'm actually coming around to the idea that maybe a somewhat more moderate, traditional liberal-conservatism, ala Romney winning in 2012, is actually superior to the Democrats.

This will never happen, any hope that this would happen died in Virginia this week when Diet Trump won by being less openly racist than Trump while also promising to take a flamethrower to schools and purify them of every book and fact that might ever make a white person feel bad. It's Democrats or Fascists for the rest of your life.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Hellblazer187 posted:

If they're going to blame progressives anyways... then maybe progressives should stick to their guns? I don't get how "you're getting blamed no matter what" means "so therefore you should give us all your leverage"

If them getting blamed is what's destined to happen, the logical argument might be that they were about to lose this leverage anyway. If things descend into blame gaming in the media before anything gets accomplished, and we assume they would inevitably lose the media fight, their leverage dies anyway. So the better move is to put it on the table, get what you can get for it, and toss the dice. Either it all turns to poo poo and you get blamed, which would have happened if you didn't try as well, or good things happen and you reap the benefits because you played ball at the key moment rather than holding out for better odds.

I'm not saying I endorse this logic, but its logic that makes sense. If your options really have come down to Lose or Try And Probably Lose But Maybe Have A Tiny Chane To Win, better the latter.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ershalim posted:

If we were simply interested in power dynamics, the correct thing to do would be to spike both bills and set the building on fire, but those aren't exactly actions without any side effects. I think for Jayapal, the chance of getting something good for some people now and maybe some more good for more people later outweighs the potential for the progressive caucus to be seen as a larger threat in some yet unknown future conflict. It's not a call I would like to have to make myself, honestly.

In terms of only political power dynamics, its probably worth considering that up until now the media coverage of this fight on mainstream sources has been all about Manchin and Sinema vs Biden and Progressives. The House shuffle has been ignored outside political outlets like The Hill and whatnot. After Virginia, there is zero doubt in my mind that if Progressives had spiked Infrastructure tonight every story tomorrow would have been about them being the bad guy. By holding their ground tonight long enough to get an explicitly worded promise to vote on the bill as-is on a specific day, if nothing else they've kept the public eye on the Moderates and off themselves. They can say honestly that they did their part, and if the Moderates reneg on their black-and-white written deal for any reason other than the out they made for themselves, the CBO score, that is then the story every news show runs.

I'm sure there will be a dozen replies to this post mocking and insulting me, but these are the things politicians think about when they're doing a politics. It's not as simple as the 1-to-1 political leverage of "vote for this or I won't for that and we both lose," but its still part of the game. The Progressives looked at the board, decided the hand they had was a losing one, and cashed it out for one they hope still has a chance to win. It's that simple.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Shammypants posted:

Alright, so let's say the 1.85 trillion passes as it currently stands. What is the view then?

If the House Moderates and Sinema and Manchin keep their word and the BBB program goes through as-is, it's still got a lot of good things in it despite all the topline cuts because the focus was shortening program lengths and keeping benefits in and without means testing. Add the Infrastrucuture bill and its more than 3 trillion dollars in social programs and national development investment.

What will matter after that is 1) how many people feel a practical effect from it 2) how quickly 3) how it effects economic indicators the media reports on, like the stock market and jobs reports 3b) how the economy recovers from the logistics shock/inflationary forces in the next 12 months and if this helps and 4) how the party sells it on the 2022 Campaign Trail.

Add in a 5) anything else they can manage to accomplish in the next year, including the handling of any international or domestic crises that happen to pop up.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

It is kind of hilarious that crypto proponents think that subjecting bitcoin to the same requirements as cash and stocks makes it "unusable as a currency."

That would be because Crypto Currency was always a scam, so it having to actually follow rules was inevitably going to doom it.

Can't wait to see a lot of VC dickheads be on the bread lines.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

socialsecurity posted:

So should we not be investing in infrastructure then? You seem to be bending backwards to make even the slightest good thing a bad thing at this point, it's just tiresome.

All things considered this infrastructure spending is relatively small compared to what it probably ought to be. But the concern isn't that, the concern is that by passing it the social spending/human infrastructure bill will die or be even further ripped apart because of the lack of legislative leverage. The entire reason there is an infrastructure bill is because the moderates ripped the infrastructure out of Build Back Better so they could do it in a separate bipartisan bill that Republicans got invited to, and in the process watered that infrastructure down a fair bit.

What we have right now is a situation where the Moderates got what they wanted most and what the Progressives wanted most is hanging on their word. People here reasonably don't trust them because their behavior throughout the process has said that they don't really want that other spending because its too much leftism for them.

It's worth noting that the current 1.75 Trillion version of Build Back Better has the blessing of Sinema and Manchin (and another Big Pharma puppet Senator who's name I forget) according to their public statements and what we know about the most recent rounds of negotiation where they finally made a deal about Medicare Drug Negotiation that satisfied them (and was a much better deal than the original Senate plan, though not as good as the House plan) and Manchin backed down on wanting work requirements for the Child Tax Credit thanks to the efforts of Sen. Brown from Ohio. It also has the written passed-by-vote-House-rule promise from the Blue Dogs to vote yes if the CBO score for that version matches the White House Budget Office's estimate. Manchin has similarly said he wants to see that CBO report before he fully commits to voting yes.

On the other hand Manchin has said so many contradictory things about the BBB bill through this process many believe he was simply stalling and throwing fog out to obfuscate the fact that he's always wanted to kill this bill and now absolutely will because he got his bipartisan infrastructure. Sinema has, if anything, been even worse, though she's said nothing since she got her "win," on the new Drug Plan and put out her public release saying this resolved her biggest hurdle to getting on board (implying that there still might more hurdles OR that she might be at Yes now that she got her pound of flesh for her Pharma overlords). On the other hand she was the author of the Infrastructure bill, and now she might kill BBB just to BE A MAVERICK LIKE JOHN MCCAIN. Again, we don't know.

President Biden begged Progressives to trust him, that this wasn't some scam to cut off the Left's balls and he can and will deliver the moderates. Biden has not lived up to the Left's hopes and made many mistakes and unforced errors since his election. But he's also backed the Progressives in this fight 100% and unceasingly since the process started.

The reality is we don't know what's going to happen next. It's all prognostication at this point. Will the Moderates keep their word or are they openly lying? Will the CBO score come out favorably? Can Manchin be swayed or was it all a game? Is Sinema really a big enough fool to think kill this bill will make her President some day, or will she try to make herself the hero by being the winning vote, or is there a some other more insane game she's playing? Will the bill go through as is or will it be torn down to nothing but SALT deductions for rich bastards and have every scrap that helps normal people destroyed or will it even have some parts be made unexpectedly better like with the Drug Price compromise?

We don't know. So people are assuming the worst.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Willa Rogers posted:

No doubt wall st. firms & for-profit nursing homes all got "loans" but people I know who have sole proprietorships also got outright grants that didn't entail repayment for business expenses.

And that's leaving aside the huge infusion of money in the ways of expanded unemployment, expanded SNAP, student-loan & mortgage forbearance, and the outright cash distributions through stimulus checks.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that neither the GOP nor Trump himself ever talk about any of these great things they did. What possible reason could they have for not wanting to take any credit for this amazing outflanking from the left they did that single handed saved america and millions of voters from economic oblivion.

Guess Its just one of those big mysteries in life.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

camilla won't be queen, the royal line doesn't run through her, hence why she's a duchess and not a princess. so biden only did an old man fart in front of a royal consort

I always thought that rule only applies to husbands because Kings automatically outrank Queens so if the monarch-via-primogeniture is a queen you can't be a king or it'd gently caress all the succession poo poo up. Diana was a Princess, did she have some relation to the Royal Family? I always thought she was just from some rando noble house.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Majorian posted:

This makes me think they're going to whittle the BBB down to a level that we didn't think possible and then pass it and declare victory. I guess we'll see if I'm right on that.

According to Willa's poll only 25% of Americans even think BBB will help them period, so who even gives a poo poo. All the loving garment rending and exulting about how Dems are shooting themselves in the foot by whittling down the bill and the people it's supposed to help don't even want it. And don't tell me its because of cuts, do you think anyone responding to that poll even knows what's supposed to be in build back better other than the vague 6o'clock news summary of "Biden's social and climate spending agenda?"

All any idiot in this country cares about is the vague reality-free FEELING they have about whether things are going well or not, which is mostly dictated to them by their social media algorithm. Why should I believ even the original 6 trillion version would mean anything different at this point? Every day just makes it look more and more like Facebook killed the human race.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Not if it was a problem for your child. It’s going to be years recovering from it. The university out here did a longitudinal study of children. Severe behavioral issues went way the hell up from like 20% to 50% of kids in the study. Once that happens v one has to fix it and fixing it is really goddamn hard.

Think about what the pandemic did. Kids have relationships within the community. All those got cut off abruptly. Only now going on nearly two years in are those starting to really be rebuilt. Trusting relationships with adults takes time to build. A isolated pair (or single) of parents isn’t enough however good at parenting they are, it really does take community to raise kids well.

And you obviously not having a kid that has problems with the whole thing, say “that poo poo is over.” Now parents are being poo poo on by the schools for their kids problems that were caused by the utterly poo poo job those very schools did at remote. Cause “that poo poo is over”

What you just did, when a politician does it... gently caress. Done. Doesn’t matter how racist the opponent is a percentage of those parents are going to anger vote, to gently caress you vote.

The fact that so many parents in this country are so angry about having to deal with the fallout of decisions designed to SAVE THEIR CHILDRENS LIVES AND THE LIVES OF EVERYONE AROUND THEIR CHILDREN that they're willing to vote for Nazis just to give a middle finger to the people who SAVED THEIR CHILDREN'S LIVES is not normal, or comprehensible.

People yelled at me all day for daring to say Americans are actually dumb and irrational and let themselves be spoonfed their opinions, then they defend parents willing to punish politicians because their kids had to stay home to avoid a plague, or even just wear masks and take other basic loving safety measures. Have I shown you this article on my facebook feed about how masks damage social skill learning, or this one about how they raise Carbon Dioxide in the bloodstream?! Those are much worse than a virus that's killed millions I'll bet!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Not sure which is the most surprising result:

- Twitter has a younger userbase than TikTok.

or

- Facebook users are apparently nearly perfectly representative of overall American public opinion.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/new-nbc-poll-shows-deep-partisan-differences-among-social-media-n1283453

Well, that "prefers control of congress number," is slightly reassuring. Nice to know some people don't have complete goldfish brain even if they don't think the President is going a great job.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Willa Rogers posted:

From the new Suffolk poll, and following up on econ-chat:

That's a whole lot of people with warped perceptions.

I hope you're not being sarcastic, because if you don't think "a lot of these people have warped perceptions" when you see them having a choice between all four possible economic states and the results are almost equal across all four, by definition most of them can't possibly have anything BUT a warped perception

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sedisp posted:

Or maybe.... those are meaningless terms to most people and they just think has my life gotten better or worse lately. Worse? We're definitely in a recession and or depression.

If I had to describe how the economy has been playing out to most Americans stagnant is definitely a word pretty high up there.

Hmm, how do I refute the assertion that American voters are stupid, ignorant, and let their opinions be dictated to them by whoever they consider to be authority figures...

I know, I'll say that they don't know what these vocabulary words every high school student is supposed to learn mean, and that they selected their answer based of a general connotative connection between the word and their personal emotional state rather than actual facts. That will make them seem smart!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sedisp posted:

I have no idea where your idea of highschool economics comes from but I can at least say from a California public education haver the definition of recession and depression were touched on more by the media than any high-school course.

An easier lesson might be if you have to preface your point with "technically the economy is recovering " you're probably going to just get some eye rolls. But please continue the condescension. Nothing says winner like calling people to stupid to do politics over a failure to understand the technical differences between a recession and depression.

I'm not a politician, I'm not trying to win anything, I can call stupid people stupid all I want. Rather do that than weave this constant story of Schrodinger's Voter who is simultaneously smart enough to recognize the benefits of leftist policy and see through right wing propaganda against leftist ideas and thus would gladly vote for it in overwhelming numbers if it was offered, but also stupid enough that it's totally understandable when they are unable to recognize fascism when it stares them in the face because their Economic Insecurity is just so bad and vote overwhelmingly for the party that calls every social benefit program both imaginable and already in existence communism that must be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Pobrecito posted:

Or maybe people just think things are bad and they aren't educated enough to know the difference between the three bad ones (though they know depression is the worst one and so shy a little away from that one) and just pick one of the bad ones?

I mean the choices basically were "good economy," "bad economy," "bad economy," "REALLY bad economy," and "I don't know" and 72.2% chose one of the options that says they think the economy is bad.

So the poll respondents are also smart enough to know that "stagnant," when applied to the economy should only be considered bad rather than neutral because of our system's dependence on growth, even though it was placed right in between the obvious good and obvious bad option and therefore would be the option a person would have to pick if they had a neutral opinion since no other space fit. But they're also dumb enough that they would pick "depression," despite it being farcical just because that translates to "really bad economy," if you're completely uneducated on what a depression is despite every student in America learning about the Great Depression and therefore knowing that only an actual fool would describe our current economy as being liken unto a Depression regardless of the word's technical definition. How handy!

"49% of the poll thought the economy was good to neutral, 26% thought it was bad, and 19% were either obviously partisan, hyperbolic, or people who can't even process objective economic reality," isn't quite as pithy as "72% think the economy is bad," so I don't blame you for going with the "respondents are exactly as smart as I need them to be to make my point," approach.