Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nenonen posted:

Is this the official Recep Tayyip Erdogan appreciation station?

he was part of the Turkish delegation at that original thanks giving meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still think McAuliffe wins but it’s going to be by 2-3 points

Same. I know a few folks who work down there and they feel pretty confident. Could be overconfidents or sunk cost but I trust said folks a lot and I trust folks on the ground more then the pollsters or sign numbers, but again, we will see.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Youngkin +2 most likely due to the Republicans being re-energized from that stupid little tiki torch stunt.

no it was before that. partly because of Nimby culture grievance poo poo that resonates with NOVA indies and conservatives and partly media and polls and race tightening. apperently alot of early votes were encouraged to get out and vote because of the fox poll.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

The proper response is to never speak to them again nor grace them with your presence for the holidays. Granny won't learn to vote Dem till she can't pinch your cheeks ever again.

Which "fox poll"? The Fox News poll that showed Youngkin ahead by 8 last week, or another one? Because the last I saw Dems were outvoting by 2-1 in the early vote.

fox poll last week. from what my friends say, it encouraged more dem early voters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meatball posted:

This happened in the Newsom recall as well. Articles came out about "oh the Republican might win" and it spurred dem turnout.

yeah that my hope.

RBA Starblade posted:

When do they count mail-in ballots anyway? Mine said they accept them until Friday.

they should be counted soon after poll closing i believe.

Youth Decay posted:

Early voting on Saturday was packed apparently. 45-minute waits at polls in Richmond with lines out the door like it was a presidential election.

I'm going this afternoon when the rain lets up. It's a good excuse to leave work early :v:

my state also has voting today and i will probably run out and do it before some early holiday shopping.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

When Democrats don’t tangibly make people’s lives better and/or offer more than “I’m not the other guy”, it leaves an opening for fascists.

This is going to keep happening because neoliberal capitalism is wholly unsuited for handling the crises it has created.

whats funny is the VA dems did actually pass very good poo poo that improved stuff. its just dumbfuck didnt run on it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pthighs posted:

Unfortunately, and this genuinely brings me great grief, you may be overestimating the number of people who want the government to do good stuff.

I'm in Seattle, and we are almost certainly going to elect a Republican city attorney (who switched from Dem when Trump was elected) because the Dem candidate had some defund the police tweets last year.

idk we will see. PA went well which genuinely surprised me. i think there are alot of lessons people can learn and i will have to maul them over more. but its a mix of bunch of gently caress ups both directly dem and some that are out of both hands. also youngkin playing at a boring shithead conservative helped him way more then being an openly open super chud.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Srice posted:

To McAuliffe's credit, he campaigned against Trump and it has been proven without a doubt that Trump will not be the next governor of Virginia.

pretty much.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's mostly to own the libs. I think a lot of it also comes from folks without skin in the game.

I'm trans. In my lifetime there has been one party that has moved the needle on trans issues at all, and one that struggles to do the opposite. Watching people cheer the GOP winning elections makes me think that it's just a sports team to them, and it's fun to watch the rivals lose.

Totally. Time to vote Republican and give them a chance. That'll teach the Dems to go further next time!

I know the thread consensus seems to be that if only the Democrats were further left they'd do better electorally, but I have a hard time jiving that with what actually happens in elections.

Americans being, by an large, quite conservative is a better explanation. The two major parties are milquetoast centrists for the most part on one hand, and nativists on the other, and the natavists continue to win elections.

I think the US has a cultural problem. American culture devalues education and expertise. Until that changes, and "my ignorance is as good as your knowledge" stops ringing so true, I don't think we get out of this hole.

i think it more depends what progressive issues work and what ones don't and obviously on individual canidates. i also think youngkin ran as a "moderate" while keeping a still unpopular trump away with stick. covid and schooling and the general "poo poo still isnt normal" also didnt help. i dont think the GOP will take the messages they need from this race thankfully but i also depends on what canidates win their primaries too. i feel ok about PA 2022 though. depends on other places obviously.

1. run on a positive message and on stuff you passed or want to pass

2. actually pass stuff.

3. get needles in arms faster.

4. cut down on the weird nerds running but also learn what policies to run on depending on what state.

5. unfuck the school issus and i don't mean the CRT poo poo. though also find better ways to midcate that poo poo too.

6. again actually pass poo poo.

i think we will possibly have "some advantage" in 22 because i doubt the GOP will rig their own race like they did in VA. PA will have a trumpist running as will others and as long as you run smarter then terry, you have a good shot.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 3, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Even if they're unwilling to move left, democrats need to at least figure out how to guide the narrative. Youngkin basically made this The Scary Book Election, until Terry momentarily abandoned shadowboxing Trump to instead make it the McAuliffe Doesnt Want You To Have A Say In Your Kids' Education Election.

He didnt veto the insulin price cap, marijuana legalization, abolishing the death penalty, or community college assistance, so presumably he's cool with that stuff! And they all poll well! Mention them!

This. Terry was a loving moron and youngkin ran as a moderate ghoul who would bring back normalcy in schools both in lovely chud ways and other ways. He also kep trump away mostly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

The Progressives haven't budged and have been on the side of both leadership and the White House the entire time. This months long media hell circus is entirely, 100% on the moderates and their refusal to lay anything out or do anything but pout.

very true but i think Dragon has a point that people are loving tired and just want the dems to pass poo poo. the current bill isnt exactly what i wanted but the people i talk for work would benefit greatly from alot of stuff in the reconciliation bill thats Still in the bill and was in the final. alot of stuff i see does blame Manchin and sienam for this poo poo too though.

a thing i noticed. alot of the school boards were not overturned or chudified in the big turn out states. outside lowish turnout state races like PA. PA was judciarry. the GOP ended up winning all three(sucks but not PA Sc just goes back to 5 dem 2 conservative(rep replaced rep) but here it was mostly a Chud turn out because people didnt care about the races. in the higher turn out races, most of the school boards are still ok, which makes me the crossover vote is more mad about school closings and covid poo poo then CRT poo poo. i'll have to read more and this is just stuff i am noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I mean even then, it's not the Progressives stopping anything at all from passing, it's the moderates. They refuse to explain anything or propose anything, they wanna play royal court and be doted upon and fed peeled grapes, everybody just goes along with it as the natural order of things because they know they can just blame the left in the end, and well this is the end result of tolerating that sort of thing. This notion that "well surely both sides must be at fault" is a complete dead end because if you wanna blame the CPC you've also gotta blame Biden and Pelosi and Schumer, but for some reason nobody seems to be.

It isn't moderates versus the left, it's moderates versus everybody else, some dipshit holding court from his houseboat and the least accessible Senator in the entire chamber going on overseas fundraising trips between country club fundraising events. They wanted it to drag out and they got it, if the national level stuff had any effect on any of these races the blame is firmly, square, and entirely on them

i am not disagreeing with you on that. i am just saying people are just tired of the poo poo circus, there are people blaming them just as much as we are. most of my post was talking about some patterns i saw.